[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why is there no middle ground for these games? I always see people
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /vp/ - Pokemon

Thread replies: 51
Thread images: 8
File: pokemon-black-2-and-white-2.jpg (164 KB, 940x513) Image search: [Google]
pokemon-black-2-and-white-2.jpg
164 KB, 940x513
Why is there no middle ground for these games? I always see people in the camp of loving Gen V or hating it. But why?

I love it myself, making it probably my favourite Gen after the original two.
>>
>>25529516
Hating it is a meme and the game essentially has everything a pokemon game should that's why.
>>
Because people don't generally bother expressing their ambivalence about something unless they're asked directly.

Yes, even autists on /vp/
>>
Can you accept the matter that the only thing that matters in this series are battles and competitive? That is the question you should ask.
>>
File: 1456815350341.png (184 KB, 660x660) Image search: [Google]
1456815350341.png
184 KB, 660x660
Because its love it or hate it. Its my favourite gen, personally.
>>
Best gen
>>
>>25529625
But you cant hug him...
>>
>>25529516
Because of contrarians, shitposters, and people who never actually played Gen 5. So basically the entirety of /vp/.
>>
Black and White:

Autists who can only enjoy games if they use Charizard for the 20th time hated them.

People who like new things loved them.
>>
>>25529551
>>25529753
>>25529816
Why can't Unovafags accept people didn't like Gen 5 without being le contrarian or the genwunner smartphone boogeyman especially when we're talking about the gen that limited the leaders to 3 pokemon and elite four to 4.
>>
File: 1445146851960.jpg (56 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
1445146851960.jpg
56 KB, 500x500
>>25529958
I was a casual at pokemon when I was playing BW2 so I didn't really care. Still felt the fights were pretty intense.
>>
They were fresh and attempted to try something new which I think split a lot of people. I for one, am sick of the generic pokemon formula and loved the shit out of them.
>>
>>25530077
It's funny how opposed people are to change on /vp/. Whenever a great idea to improve pokemon gets brought up, so many people are opposed to it for the most retarded reasons like "it wouldn't feel right".
>>
It's weird to me that everyone seems to say BW2 were the greatest, but to me, they were a colossal let down after BW.
>>
>>25530077
What part of the formula did it change, by chance? This game plays out exactly like all the others. The only thing it does really change is that you don't fight the champion and instead, we have the villain climax. Not that much of a twist.
>>
File: Zoroark.png (143 KB, 508x478) Image search: [Google]
Zoroark.png
143 KB, 508x478
I really enjoyed Pokemon White. To be honest, I loved the gym leaders and the elite four was pretty tough. Not to mention a lot of cool Pokemon such as: Bisharp, Cofagrigus, Braviary, Sigiliph, Chandelure, Golurk, Galvantula, Eelektross, Volcarona, Zebstrika, Darmanatan, Haxorus, Zekrom, Excadrill, and Mother Fucking Zoroark! If you cannot name one Pokemon out of this list that you like then...I don't know what to tell you.
>>
>>25529516
People who hate Gen V are the same ones who really believe that all modern Pokemon designs are bad

They couldn't catch Pikachu before the E4 so it's a bad game :^)
>>
>>25530215
>You can't catch Pikachu in ANY Unova game

My favorite region desu
>>
>>25529516
Just look at the two atrocious things on your pic and think about it for two minutes
Then you may understand
>>
>>25530173
More focus on story/character development, different, less cutesy looking pokemon, first games with an actual sequel, no old pokemon (at least in BW1)
I'll agree its minor but it still felt thematically different from gen 4<
>>
>>25530156
The thing I loved the most about Black and White was the fact that there where no old pokemon, it felt fresh almost like a reboot and was easier to keep track of than having 100+ older mons so when bw2 ditched that i was slightly disappointed, and even more so when x and y basidally decided to throw in the whole national dex.
>>
>>25530248
The story doesn't matter and makes no sense for the pokemon world. I find nothing different about these pokemon than any other set. G/S did it first. Locking out the old pokemon doesn't really change how the game is played.
>>
>>25530327
>The thing I loved the most about Black and White was the fact that there where no old pokemon
Same here

but I also really enjoyed the incredible variety of X/Y. It's good to mix it up. Both approaches are better than small national dexes of the past.
>>
It is simultaneously the best and the worst.
>>
>>25530354
>The story doesn't matter and makes no sense for the pokemon world
>The story doesn't matter

I dunno man, when you're stuck doing the same shit for 20 years, buying what's essentially the same games and running through the motions never changing just because it's a winning formula and will never stop selling, I appreciate a change of pace because it gives something fresh to a series that's been stagnant for quite some time

That's what made Kalos so horrible was that it was even more generic and by-the-books than Gen IV was with none of the charm or character. Even though Hoenn is terrible at least it had the character part
>>
File: pokemon_249744_1.png (181 KB, 500x223) Image search: [Google]
pokemon_249744_1.png
181 KB, 500x223
Not to mention these guys. This gen had the most gym leaders than any other, and even adding a triple gym (fire,grass,water). A cowboy. The boner inducing fucks that are Skyla and Elesa. Also Roxie... She's cool too. And Marlon the only black swimmer to possibly feature in Free! Eternal Homoerotic Summer. OMG THESE GAMES WERE GOOD. >:)
>>
>>25530354
Well ok, I'll try and rephrase; it felt more like a reboot than anything else because they cut off mostly all references to previous regions (At least in the first game Im not counting BW2), it felt less of a chewed up and spat out nostalgia-fest and more like they were trying to move forward with the series.
>>
File: 1456806870896.jpg (156 KB, 375x562) Image search: [Google]
1456806870896.jpg
156 KB, 375x562
>>25530156
Don't know why /vp/ says B/W was bad. Both Gen V games were very solid.
>>
File: 1449126485555s.jpg (7 KB, 249x249) Image search: [Google]
1449126485555s.jpg
7 KB, 249x249
>>25530417
>OMG THESE GAMES WERE GOOD. >:)
>>
>>25530362
I hated it that it forced our hand, if I want to play with exclusively older pokemon I don't see how this would improve the experience for me.

Personally I would rather new games be dominated by new pokemon but have some older pokemon available in the wild still.

It didn't help that gen v had more ugly pokemon than any other by a wide margin.

The games just didn't feel like a genuine pokemon experience to me.

The sequels were at least playable but still a huge drop off from prior generations.
>>
>>25529958
>especially when we're talking about the gen that limited the leaders to 3 pokemon and elite four to 4.
More doesn't mean better anon especially when in the past they wood pad it with copies.
Anyway they had some great teams and movesets so there was actually a challenge and you couldn't really overlevel without excessive grinding.
>>
>>25530475
As much as I love these games it's a bit ridiculous to have trainers who don't have at least 5 Pokemon after Gym 6 or so. Not to mention it's all free experience anyway, there's no reason for having less than a fully-rounded team

Maybe in BW1 where there aren't as many Pokemon (Shauntal having essentially all the Unova Ghosts), but in dexes over 200 I think there shouldn't be an excuse
>>
File: 1456976768066.jpg (38 KB, 400x399) Image search: [Google]
1456976768066.jpg
38 KB, 400x399
>>25530417
Marlon isn't black, he's tan.
>OMG THESE GAMES WERE GOOD. >:)
>>
>>25530354
>The story doesn't matter and makes no sense for the pokemon world.
How so? World domination is a perfect story considering they wield the forces of nature at their fingertips.

In all honesty the only one that didn't make sense was gen 1 and team rocket, they were just a run of the mill gang.
>>
>>25529605
Everything should be shit but platinum so.
>>
>>25530507
>it's a bit ridiculous to have trainers who don't have at least 5 Pokemon after Gym 6 or so.
Not really, especially since like I said they have decent movesets and fir the most part utilise them.
I would personally prefer less pokemon but more thought behind them rather than padding.
>>
>>25530327

To be fair X/Y's dex was so small the game wouldve felt dull unless they added more pokemon. Which I am glad they aren't adding as much way to hard to complete a pokedex as it is.
>>
>>25529958
This. I love gen 5 but jesus wept get it together /vp/

Anyway OP, one reason is because it had arguably the most hit & miss Pokedex of any generation (most of the mons I either love or loathe, & I know a lot of anons feel similarly), & the first pair of games forced you to stick to them & not be able to use any of your former favourites. The early route mons in particular have little variety & if you don't like them or the starters then you're not going to have much fun for the first few hours (for this reason I'm glad I played B2W2 first - not a fan of anything until Pinwheel Forest in BW)
>>
>>25530470
Well the point I'm making is that that limitation forces you to experiment with different pokemon, I dont see the fun in using the same team each gen, the whole point of the game is discovering new pokemon.
>gen 5 had the most ugly pokemon
Purely preference I guess, gen 5 has my favourite roster next to gen 1.
>>
>>25530575
Doesn't really work for in-game bosses I feel. If that were the case that kind of logic can mean Game Freak can get away with making Champions have 3 Pokemon and not putting any effort outside of picking some good moves. I don't feel it's enough for late game bosses to have half a team

Even if it means you have to throw in a couple repeats. Maybe Game Freak should balance their Pokedexes better? I'll always remember Glacia for having one of the worst teams any Elite 4 member could possibly have
>Sealio, Glalie, Sealio, Glalie, Walrein
Why bother with an Ice Trainer
>>
>>25530630
I felt Unova succeeded in where Orre failed in that although the Pokemon you can catch are limited, you still have plenty of viable options and interesting, new Pokemon to choose from instead of being stuck with Johto Shitmons that weren't in Ruby and Sapphire
>>
>>25530611
I feel gamefreak should start seperating the dexes, and just ditch the whole national dex system. Its becoming way to hard to catch them all and if they just had the regional dex with other pokemon just appearing as 'foreign' I think it would clear up a lot of issues.
>>
>>25529753
>contrarians

Except /vp/ is the one being contrarian by worshiping it
Gen 5 is widely accepted as the worst by everyone outside of here
>>
>>25530649
>Glacia's team
Oh lord this. Even if they'd tossed in a Pelipper with Ice Beam or something it would have been better than the Full House she was playing with. Not like she was a remotely difficult fight before anyhow.

Thinking about it, Sidney was the only E4 member in RS who didn't have any repeats. Not the best effort really
>>
>>25529958
>especially when we're talking about the gen that limited the leaders to 3 pokemon and elite four to 4.
I will give you that, but at least there was challenge mode+rematches (unlike 6/3)
>>
>>25530824
Challenge Mode was put in the worst way possible though.
>>
List of things I like
>able to use potions while on the same screen so you can heal all your mons in one go
>dowsing machine
>Faster than DPPT
>awesome sprite animations
>the type gems are neat
>music is pretty sweet
>getting the lucky egg from Prof Juniper
>able to use HMs without the badges
>able to use TMs more than once
That about sums up most of what I really liked about Gen 5 that are not about the pokemon themselves
>>
>>25530932
>able to use TMs more than once
This is the one change that people who shit on Gen V cannot hope to take away from these games

Goes back to the old saying, "I don't teach my Pokemon moves because I don't want to waste the TM"
>>
>>25530932
>able to use HMs without the badges
What, really? I just implicitly assumed you still needed them; didn't even pick up on the fact the gym victory text no longer mentions it

I did like the fact that the field HMs weren't necessary at all in BW & you only really needed Surf (& possibly Strength) in BW2
>>
I'm going to try to explain this in as much detail as possible so we can lay this topic to rest for a few minutes at least.
The reason anyone who doesn't suck Gen V's cock is assumed to be a Kanto enthusiast is because the Kanto games and the Unova games are polar opposites. That statement assumes that the person saying it isn't a drooling retard who thinks any and all criticism of Gen V is "le ice cream pokemon".

The Kanto games have a loose, simple story, and let you run around and do things out of order after you finish the S.S. Anne. Most of the background lore is in areas you don't have to go to, or you just don't have to read it.
The Unova games are focussed on trying to tell you the story GameFreak wants you to experience. To that end, you can't do anything out of order. Team Plasma is in very nearly every town in the game, and the main themes of the game are brought up again and again and again and again incredibly often.

If you're not interested in the story of the Kanto games, you can just do other things. When you do get around to it, though, it's mercifully short. No one tries to lay moral dilemmas on you. Team Rocket is a group of nothing but bad guys doing bad things. Your rival is an asshole. Everything's straightforward and simple.
In Unova, though, if you don't like the story or characters, too fucking bad. You're going to sit there and mash A for ten minutes so you can play the game for five minutes, then mash A for ten more minutes. And then, when those people finally get to do what they actually wanted to do - become the champion - they can't. N is there to completely hijack the game. If you hated the story of Black and White, you will be livid.

Because the Kanto games and Unova games have such opposing game design, it's only natural that a lot of people who started the series when it first came out will absolutely hate Unova for being the complete opposite of what they liked in the first place.
1/2
>>
>>25531265
2/2

You can say that Hoenn, Sinnoh, and Kalos were linear, but none of those games had anywhere near as much emphasis on story as Unova's games did.
While, yes, some people who only like Kanto are normies who dropped the series after Gen I, there are legitimate reasons to prefer it over other regions. The people who appreciate the relative freedom and simplicity of Kanto will naturally hate Unova, and the direction the series appeared to be heading in.

I hated Gen V, and it made me completely lose faith in the series. I liked Gen VI a lot more because they did a lot better at making me want to do what they wanted me to do in those games.
Thread replies: 51
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.