[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>loves dancing >doesn't have a rain dance team in
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /vp/ - Pokemon

Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 5
>loves dancing
>doesn't have a rain dance team in the games

For what purpose?
>>
File: season13_ep29_ss2.jpg (29 KB, 452x256) Image search: [Google]
season13_ep29_ss2.jpg
29 KB, 452x256
Because GameFreak doesn't give a shit about making the rivals competent, or developing them at all. Every rival in XY is a static character based on a singular aspect of Pokémon. Shauna is all about friendship, Tierno is all about having fun, Trevor is all about collecting, and Serena/Calem is all about battling. Not one of the characters demonstrates growth in the aspect they represent. There is no indication that Shauna is a better friend than she was at the beginning. She makes more friends on her journey, and expresses doubts and fears to the protagonist, but at no point does she demonstrate that she has learned how to be a better friend to others. Trevor starts out collecting Pokémon at an impressive rate, but towards the end of the game never completes his dex or demonstrate how his philosophy has evolved in trying to do so. He is forever the second-rate collector meant to remind the player that filling the dex is a thing. Tierno starts out only caring about dancing and admits to being a terrible battler. As the game progresses, he only becomes a worse trainer relative to how much the player progresses. Yet he never changes his strategies or does anything to indicate how he has made his team better at dancing beyond adding a move of two with "dance" in the name, which is all he ever claims to care about. Serena/Calem gets the most development as a trainer, but in arguably the worst way. The main rival starts out losing to you while promising to beat you eventually. At the end of the game, Serena/Calem openly admits to the player that they will probably never win and that they have even given up on hoping for it. Rather, they have learned that they will never be able to surpass the player. That's a story of hopelessness and loss. As the only demonstrable element of change in the rivals' personalities, this just emphasizes how stagnant the rivals are in comparison to the player character.
>>
File: Ash_and_Paul.png (528 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
Ash_and_Paul.png
528 KB, 1280x720
>>25515976
>continued
Not one of the rivals is meant to be a good character in their own right (or GF simply failed in their attempt to make them so). Rather, their combined presence is intended to emphasize the incredible talent of the player. This emphasis is given, not earned, as there is virtually no extra effort required of the player to show up the rivals.
>>
>>25515752
I like how the fatass has an ice cream cone on his shirt. Imagine seeing a lardmonster in real life with a burger and fries on his tshirt.
>>
>>25515752
because it's not a dancing move
its japanese name is rain prayer
>>
>>25515976
>>25515995
All this compared to Cheren and Bianca is really depressing. Even Hugh, the single-minded shithead is a better character than any of the X and Y rivals
>>
>>25515752
>only two of his mons are recognized for having the ability to dance
>>
>>25516545
Still better than his in-game team
>>
>>25516545
He taught his Squirtle to dance and it's retained the ability even as a Blastoise, ridiculous as it is.
>>
>no Own Tempo Quiver Dance/Petal Dance Lilligant

Wasted opportunity.
>>
>>25515976
>Serena starts to cry after losing for the 20th time
>"A weak trainer with a weak spirit. How fucking fitting."
>"W-who are you to decide that?! I've come this far all by myself! That has to count for something!"
>"If it really meant anything, you wouldn't be bawling your eyes out like a child that didn't get her way. Face it, you're a fraud. A joke. You didn't even face the Elite Four."
>"You're wrong..."
>"Didn't anyone ever tell you to respect your superiors? I've only beaten you several times now, and THAT proves I'm better than you'll ever be! Bad girls like you should be punished for your badmouthing."
>punch
>"AAAAAHHH! No... stop..."
>"Oh, what's this? A Mega Ring? That sure came in handy when I crushed your Mega Absol with one hit. It wasn't even super-effective! Not that you'd know anything about type advantages."
>"Put it back! Y-you're going too far! Please, STOP!"
>"Mega Rings are designed to bring out a Pokemon's true potential! But what good is a potential if Pokemon are stuck with a weak trainer like you? Maybe it'd be better if someone else found it..."
>"Please... no, I'll do anything!"
>"You CAN'T do anything! You never could!"
>Serena jumps for the ring, but she's too late
>chucked in a river
>"NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!"
>"Hahahaha! Cry all you want! It's gone, just with any hope you had of being a decent trainer. Just goes to show how weak you really are, Serena."
>"I hate you... I HATE YOU!"
>>
>>25515752
>walking and dancing everyday
>still fat
>>
>>25516760
Imagine how much food he must stuff himself with.
>>
>>25516732
Dude what the fuck
>>
>>25516357
This is a smart anon.

>>25516732
This is a disturbed anon

>>25515976
This one should look for a job instead of overanalyzing in-game characters in a children's franchise
>>
>>25516357
/thread

A rain team has nothing to with dancing, that's why he doesn't have one.
>>
File: Michigan_J_Frog.png (90 KB, 704x1205) Image search: [Google]
Michigan_J_Frog.png
90 KB, 704x1205
>>25516545
>Politoed
>>
>>25515752

>spends literally every waking moment dancing his heart out
>still fat
>>
>>25516819
When prior games give slightly more engaging characters than generic cliches slapped onto a design, there's a bit of a reason to complain

Goes into how X and Y had some of the worst and most generic characters in the series
>>
>>25516732
nigger
>>
>>25515752
>loves dancing
>is fat
>>
File: sumo-ballerina.jpg (235 KB, 644x1002) Image search: [Google]
sumo-ballerina.jpg
235 KB, 644x1002
>>25516946
>>
>>25515752
>dances all day
>still fat
>>
>>25517026
>fuck Shauna all night
>still fat
>>
>>25516392
And Cheren and Bianca aren't shit compared to Barry
>>
>>25515752
>is fat
>still fat
>>
>>25517068
You never did that,anon. But you are still fat
>>
>>25517111
Anon, I like Barry too though. He comes a long way and proves himself to be a competent trainer that never gives up unlike Serena/Calem. Best part is he's got the best fucking patience for having a goddamn Snorlax on his team and having probably the most well-rounded team in the series

I just feel Cheren and Bianca have better character arcs
>>
>>25516877
But they were cute though.
Isn't it just as important if they manage to evoke certain reactions from the player?
I sure as hell giggled when watching fireworks with Shauna, or laughing at the clumsy fat boy, or feeling sorry for beating Serena while she was so nice to me.
I mean, I get they're not complex characters, but I hadn't felt those silly emotions while gaming for a while...
>>
>>25516839
>I immediately thought of his song even though I haven't heard it in years
wew
>>
>>25516732
Did your parents not hug you anon
>>
Rain Dance isn't called Rain Dance in nip you fuck.
>>
>>25515752
>loves dancing
It's a staple of good writing when a character can be summed up in two words
>>
>>25515752
>three water types
For what purpose?
>>
>>25520526
It's because Tierno is a really shitty trainer who doesn't in the slightest know what he's doing.
Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.