[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
If I use certain pokemon in OU, that still counts as usage even
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /vp/ - Pokemon

Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 4
File: tyraniturr.png (100 KB, 500x400) Image search: [Google]
tyraniturr.png
100 KB, 500x400
If I use certain pokemon in OU, that still counts as usage even if I don't always win, right?
>>
Sure, yeah.
Feel free to fill up 1000s usage stats with Magikarp, for fun!
>>
>>25513186
Yes.
I could be wrong here, but I think tier suspecting is based on usage of players above a certain rank. The usage stats available are grouped by that, and it would stop trolls being able to abuse the system.
>>
>>25513186
some trolls got Metang to become RU last gen

http://www.smogon.com/dex/bw/pokemon/metang/ru/
>>
File: haha benis.jpg (12 KB, 249x212) Image search: [Google]
haha benis.jpg
12 KB, 249x212
>>25513202
Funny humor for a funny child.
>>
>>25513309
A shocking admission!
>>
>>25513275
Why don't we make this happen again? Let's boost something like Delcatty or Bellossom up a tier or two.
>>
Yes, but last I checked you only count toward usage stats if your rating is above a certain point. And you can't get a high rating if your team is filled with shitmons
>>
>>25513531
Pretty much.

You would have to get people to play tens of thousands of games above 1500 (which I think is the cut-off point) with a handicap.
Admittedly, there are a lot of PU things that could still fill some role, but it is an awkward restriction.

http://www.smogon.com/stats/2016-02/
>>
>>25513492

That would be like playing with a 5 mon team, and you have to be a certain level of gud for your usage to count. I doubt there are enough anons strong enough to consistently win like that and influence the tiers.

Then there would be the problem of getting them to agree on which shitmon to bump up, and of course there would be the contrarian faggots trying to derail the plan while screaming about how any fun is autism.
>>
I've been using a birdspam team to decent effect lately, got me into 1780's. Maybe we could all get Staraptor out of BL and into OU just for a little while?
>>
>>25513643
iirc, a BL Pokemon stays BL despite usage because it's pretty much OU
>>
>>25513643
But isn't BL Limbo between UU and OU?
>>
>>25513615
Well RU is actually barren as fuck, so it's rather easy to rise up in the RU tier
>>
>>25513186

Higher ladder is weighted more towards OU usage stats. So if you're losing a bunch and you're low on the ladder it won't count as much
>>
>>25513668
BL just means the Pokémon is UU in terms of usage stats but it's considered too strong for UU. However, this has the side effect of increasing the visibility of said Pokémon so sometimes they eventually end up in OU.
>>
>>25513668
>>25513737
>>25514177
Yeah, and Staraptor has been stuck in BL for, like 9 years, ever since it was released I think. It deserves to shine in OU, even if only for a month or two.
>>
>>25513186
They only count players of a certain rank or higher for tiers. It's why you have OU rankings, and then OU 1400 rankings, etc.

I can't remember the specific rank you need to be to count for it.
>>
>>25513186
I never understood how tiers work. Smogon uses a simulator right? There are many pokemon I think are good from casual usage, that are NU/PU/whatever. I have played that simulator and had some success using weaker pokemon in OU/Uber/etc
>>
>>25514277
Yeah, like Gastrodon is RU, but surprisingly effective in OU. So is Amoongus, Quagsire, Seismitoad, and Alomomola. Generally bulky stuff with a lot of resistances or a weird immunity can fill weird niches and win out of nowhere.
>>
>>25514205
If Gen VII's power creep is bad enough they'll probably let it join Hydreigon'n'friends.
>>
>>25514333
Yeah I like Pinsir mostly because of his tough guy appearance. He has good stats and move coverage, but he had no STAB until 4th gen games. He is physically defensive but his SpDef sucks.
>>
>>25514277
Basically, it's based on usage. If so many top players are using a Pokémon it may possibly be brought up one tier.

You can certainly use lower-tier Pokémon in higher tiers with some success, but the best players aren't using that Pokémon enough for it to rise in usage, and that's usually for a good reason, it not being as good a choice as something in a higher tier even if it fills a niche that the higher tier doesn't. There are cases here and there of a Pokémon being in a tier it doesn't deserve, like it should be in NU but it's used enough to end up in RU, but overall I think the system works with just a few bans that shouldn't exist.
>>
>>25514393
Thanks, that validates my general like of mostly NU/PU Pokemon. There are many OU Pokemon I dislike for certain picky reasons (Skarmory was an example of one that I always catch and end up dumping on my Ruby playthroughs)
>>
>>25514277
There's a shit ton of low tier Pokemon viable in OU because of their niches.
Tiers are based on usage.

Shedinja is the mother of all meme shitmons, but it had a niche for a very long time as a kyogre wall in Ubers
>>
Pokemon okno i like pokemon pikachu 4w4
muaka
>>
Can we get something banned by using it a lot ? Like, we all use landorus until it's usage gets to 50% or whatever, and john smogon sees it as overcentralising and ban it.
I can get to 1500 having my team half shitmons, would be easy to rise to 1800 with the official OU : The Team
>>
>>25514333
Amoonguss is a god. People are starting to realIze how good this thing is.
>>
>>25513668
The Borderline tiers seem pointless to me. For all intents and purposes, they are just in the tier above, since there's no specific metagame for them. Labelling them as being in a separate tier is completely arbitrary.
>>
>>25514205
>>25513737
The hell is it in BL for that long for?
>>
>>25514728
No because something being used a lot doesn't necessarily mean it's also hard to deal with.
>>
>>25515119
Gen- it was just too fast and strong, but never got to OU because it got shit on by stuff like Hippowdon and Skarmory that was really common. Gen-5 it almost made it to OU when it got the Reckless ability, but that was also when more physical walls like Ferrothorn came along and most people preferred Darmanitan or Victini for the team roles Staraptor would fill. UU still wouldn't take it. Now it's still banned from UU since it can 1HKO or 2HKO most of the tier, but doesn't see much use in OU because now people prefer Talonflame now.

Staraptor has never had a home. Ever. Which sucks because it's one of my favorites.
>>
>>25515119
It's always been too good for UU, but not good enough for OU. It lacks the ability to sweep entire teams because it can't really boost its Attack or Speed out side of choice items, and it can't really stick around because:
>it has shit defenses
>recoil moves kill it quickly
>stat-dropping move in Close Combat kill it faster
>a move that literally kills you to do damage
>stealth rock weakness
>it's stuck in the most average speed tier in the game
>doesn't resist any form of priority

It's really only good with other Flying-types to abuse the fuck out of that STAB until one of them can finally break through. It's not bad, it's just too good for one tier and not good enough for another. It sucks because I always loved the idea of the Pokemon, it just got fucked over by not being Fighting/Flying. Also:

>Talonflame exists
>>
File: 1457385874338.png (234 KB, 594x784) Image search: [Google]
1457385874338.png
234 KB, 594x784
>>25515611
>yfw Staraptor is doomed to purgatory forever
>>
>>25515611
>>25515656
Man, I knew it was too good for UU but about all of that keeping it out of OU.

We need an item that gets rid of a priority tier.
>>
File: stuffed chicken.jpg (23 KB, 640x348) Image search: [Google]
stuffed chicken.jpg
23 KB, 640x348
>>25515657
>>25515656
>>25515611
>>25515119
>>25515688

>BL becomes so large in the future that it's treated as mini-Ubers with its own metagame
Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.