[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
We always talk about new, original mechanics, but know what?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /vp/ - Pokemon

Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 2
File: pokemon_yellow_hd_by_reddfloxy.png (35 KB, 299x141) Image search: [Google]
pokemon_yellow_hd_by_reddfloxy.png
35 KB, 299x141
We always talk about new, original mechanics, but know what? Playing gen I is making me appreciate the little things.

So this thread is in honor of that stuff that makes our pokélives easier. Like:

>the pokéball next to the name that tells you if you already caught that mon
>running
>the experience bar during the fight
>caught mons automatically going to the next box if the current one is full
>>
>Key Item Select
>Breeding
>>
File: 1353412284211.png (194 KB, 840x630) Image search: [Google]
1353412284211.png
194 KB, 840x630
>being able to carry more than 15 items
>name of the move is visible instead of "TM01"
>>
>the boss has a unique battle theme other than the grunt battle theme
>>
>>25512585
I wouldn't call breeding a little thing, but man I feel you on the first one.

>>25512589
The name of the TM, yes! Such a small detail but much more helpful.
>>
>reusable TM's
>Getting rid of HM moves on your pokemon
>Held Items for Pokemon
>the existence of Lucky Egg and Amulet Coin
>>
>Spraying a new repel right after your current one runs out
>Beds in places that are too far away from Pokemon Centres
>Rematches
>>
>Useful TMs
>>
>Being able to interact with HM areas without having to open up the Menu, Party, Pokemon, Move, Dialogue
>>
It took us fifteen years to get reusable TMs. Fifteen years.

I can count on my fingers how many TMs I used in Gen III and IV because I didn't want to risk wasting them.
>>
The E4 having their own battle theme
>>
When you scroll your inventory of TMs, it shows which of your team can learn them.
>>
It was actually kind of refreshing to me going back to Yellow.

I mean I miss all the things you've listed. And I hate the item cap especially.

But it's kind of refreshing going back to the basics. Feels like I shed a lot of bloated, meaningless features that later games added.
>>
Things that I appreciate about Gen I

>There are actual rare, hard to get Pokemon
>No breeding ensures that they stay rare
>No breeding also means differentiation among Pokemon stays high (no easy access to perfect IVs means may as well go with what you caught)
>No breeding means you use the 'mon you caught, not one you hatched on Bike Simulator
>Because of the slow walk speed and million trainers, cities felt really far apart, and going from one to the next was a real adventure
>CAVES
>The incredible push to ensure that everyone has a very personal unique experience
>Two versions, three starters, two fossils, three eeveelutions means that just on Pokemon selection alone there are 36 different paths to take
>Two paths to Fuschia, neither mandatory
>Secret optional areas

These games really were "your" adventure, not the linear hand-holdy stuff in the new gens, slathered in "plot"

Of course, I miss all the quality of life improvements when playing Gen I, that were already mentioned.
>>
>>25518142
Oh, forgot the Hitmons, which actually increases the number of possible paths to 72
>>
>Bag has different compartments
>reuseable TMs
>more then one registered Key item
>>
>>25518163
>151 original Pokemon
>1 unobtainable Mythical
>13 version exclusives
>6 starters + evolutions you can't get
>2 fossil mons you can't get
>2 eeveelutions you can't get
>1 Hitmon you can't get

>Can only get 126 mons without trading, need at least two other trade partners who chose the perfect paths each to complete your dex

>No GTS
>>
>Pokeballs racking up at start of battle
>>
>>25518234
the idea was to trade with other friends who got the game. Keep in mind the target audience for this was kids who went to school together. Back then it was relatively easy to trade during school.
>>
>>25518142
real talk though, does anyone actually use bred pokemon when they play through the story? that's mostly for link battles.
>>
>>25514120
This.
>>
>>25518629
But that's the point, you would never use your story bros that you traveled 90 hours with in battles, instead you would spend 20 hours chain breeding perfect mons. That doesn't seem to be in the spirit of the game.
>>
>>25518142
>There are actual rare, hard to get Pokemon
Not too many, few know that you can find Chansey in the Cerulean Cave, you could say that some of the Safari Zone are hard to get too: Scyhter/Pinsir/Kangaskhan, they all has 4~5% of appearing (there's many more pokémon with these same rates in latter games), in less of half hour trying you can get one.
The real hard mon to get is Porygon, sure, you either has to rely in pure bullshit luck or beat the Elite Four 10 or so times.
>No breeding ensures that they stay rare
Sure, breeding was a intended feature since the start though, you can it in concept art of Red/Green
>Because of the slow walk speed and million trainers, cities felt really far apart, and going from one to the next was a real adventure
There's no adventure in walking low as a slug, after the second gym you get the bike anyways, the routes in Red/Blue are not that creative too, few have individuality.
>The incredible push to ensure that everyone has a very personal unique experience
In XY you can choose between 3 kalos starters, 3 kanto starters, 2 fossils and a regional dex of 450 pokémon with many new pokémon in each place instead of repeated ones in most part.
>>
>>25518811
Gen III, for making battles much more interesting, also ended up putting a lot more emphasis on breeding the perfect Pokemon by revamping the IV system, introducing natures and abilities

Instead of seeing it as, "All Pokemon are different" the game reads these differences as "This Pokemon is inferior to this one" and turns them from partners into chess pieces

Because of the existence of variables in the stats themselves, Pokemon became less of a fun adventure and more of a technical simulator
>>
>>25514120

I just repeated some Pokemon games a bunch of times in 3rd gen to get the TM's I needed. You couldn't even begin to imagine how excited I was when it was revealed BW changed the system.
>>
>>25518811
you would never use the mons you used in-game in link battles either, at least if you were serious. partially because a lot of mons that are shit ingame are good in link battles and vice versa (starters suck, chansey is awesome, etc), and also because you would probably just use a cheating device or catch lots of pokemon until you got one with high dvs anyway. serves nothing except to make the process more tedious.
Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.