[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
After playing Pokemon Yellow I realized I miss actual Rivals.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /vp/ - Pokemon

Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 3
File: Charizard_red_stuff.jpg (191 KB, 800x566) Image search: [Google]
Charizard_red_stuff.jpg
191 KB, 800x566
After playing Pokemon Yellow I realized I miss actual Rivals. Like Blue/Green was such a prick that I wanted to shut his mouth for good. Modern "Rivals" are glorified cheerleaders that don't say anything bad because it will offend autists or something.
>>
>>25511412
Wait...Charizard's japanese name is Lizardon? Sweet new nickname for mine.
>>
>>25511463
How original.
>>
>>25511412

I especially hated the fat dancer kid and the nerd with huge glasses in XY.

I loved the 3D and all of the other features but the story line is shit awful and the hand out pandering is full force.

I miss it too buddy.
>>
>>25511412
>implying

I played through yellow and Gary wasn't a dick. He was a smug friend that had a rivalry against you.
>>
>>25511514
He was a dick. He was always were you least expect him and gave you no warning a match is coming. Unlike other trainers were they had to see you to fight or gym leaders were they needed to be challenged for a fight. Combine that with the way Green talk trash about you and how he put himself over you got a dick who you want to beat. Modern rivals ask you if you wanna fight or even heal your pokemon. Their fights are jokes and their personalities even worse jokes.
>>
The real dick is that redhead scumfuck from Gold/Silver.
>>
>>25511593
Silver was an edgelord not a dick.

Green was a dick.
>>
>>25511412
BW2 had a good one.
He was a good mix a friend and jerk.
Not overly supportive, but still had your back.
>>
>>25511510

The fat dancing fag was so cringe.
>>
True say OP,

The only wtfamireading.webm moment is when you encounter the rival in Silph Co. I'm at a loss as to why they're there, it seems forced. Anybody care to share their personal headcanon? The dialogue reveals he saw you in the town so decided to head on into Silph and wait for you while you beat Team Rocket about —whut?
>>
File: 200px-Platinum_Barry.png (67 KB, 200x360) Image search: [Google]
200px-Platinum_Barry.png
67 KB, 200x360
>the last great rival
>attacked at unexpected or inopportune times
>tried to beat the crap out of you
>highest levelled pokemon in the games
>actual challenge if you weren't prepared
>P-O-K-E-BALLS
>Dad is famous trainer
>god-tier rival
>I don't even like dppt that much
>/end
>>
>>25512224
That retarded pre-battle animation, tho.
>>
>>25512224

Barry and Dawn were such good designs

Lucas on the other hand...
>>
>>25512329
He's just trying to get himself hyped.
>>
>>25511510
What if the distinct body differences were to see what they could do for the next gen in terms of customization?
>>
>>25512336
Screw you. Lucas' Platinum design was superb.
>>
File: 412352452135.png (114 KB, 343x223) Image search: [Google]
412352452135.png
114 KB, 343x223
>>25511554
Nah, Blue gives many advices to you and he is respectful most of the time, he is a pretty chill guy.
>muh he comes with no warning meme
literally the only place that this happens is in the SS Anne where you can be kinda weak after fighting against many trainers, in all the others place you have a pokémon center very near of his fight, and certainly a team with full health.
Even in the Silph Co. fight you can see him before advancing, so he doesn't really caught you of surprise with a team of low health.

Blue being a dick is a legend, it comes from the anime where Gary really is one.
>>
Have you never watched anime?

In Japan, a rival doesn't mean a dick or an enemy. It's someone that goes after the same things that you do - in fact, they have some mutual respect for each other. You ackowneledge them as your equal.

Barry and Cheren had personality and I'll take them any day over Blue, whose only characteristic was insulting you.
>>
>>25512446

You are forgetting post Mt. Moon battle. I dont think anyone came through that, their first time.
>>
>>25512224
>forgetting accent between K and E
>>
>>25512475
This. Technically, Tierno and Shauna aren't really rivals - they don't even have a similar goal to what Calem/Serena might be going for. Serena/Calem has the battling, and Trevor has the PokéDex.
>>
>>25512540
The one on Nugget Bridge? Also doesn't have to be faced before you use a Pokémon Center.
>>
I hope Sun and Moon have a rival like Wally, a rival you don't expect to even be a rival.
A rival, who is actually the champion.

Think about it for a second.

>you meet this random person in the woods
>they're getting attacked by a Pokemon
>you save them
>they have a team of weaklings
>they tell you they're out training new Pokemon and trying to learn how to be closer to nature or some shit
>they appear at certain intervals in the game
>get to the champion
>turns out that random person you met in the woods was specifically training their new mon the entire game and was actually the champion
>>
>>25512689
Youngster Joey as champ.

Just one Mega Raticate.

Memes.
>>
>>25512224
One thing I liked about Barry was his team was actually pretty varied and balanced, pretty similar to Blue.
>>
>>25511412
Actually, I think there is tons of potential in the Rival idea
There were The Dick in 1, The Edgelord in 2 and BFFs in every gen after

I for one would love to see a Big-Bro/Sis-Sempai-Coolguy kind of "Rival", kinda like Kamina or Zero from Megaman, somebody who is ACTUALLY better than you and inspires you to be better.

Every battle would be super hard but every time it would be obvious from the dialog that he was actually going easy on you because he cares about you and doesn't actually wants to beat you - he wants you to grow stronger. And then, at the very end of the game when it's time for the final battle he tells you that this time it's for real and he won't hold back.
>>
>>25512224
>actual challenge if you weren't prepared
Maybe if you're bad at children's video games. I recently replayed Platinum, having forgotten most of what happened in the game. His placement caught me off guard and I would always end up facing him with weakened Pokemon, but he was still too easy of a fight each time. How do you use Staraptor and Heracross and still end up being one of the easiest fights in the game?

Also he was fucking annoying, running into you every two seconds and just being there for no reason.
>>
>>25512730
"It took my 20 years, but I've finally managed to break beyond the top percentage of the Rattatas."
>>
Blue and Barry are the best rivals

Hugh could have been good but he was an edgy faggot.
Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.