[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What is the best device/tool/touch screen filler and why is it
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /vp/ - Pokemon

Thread replies: 49
Thread images: 5
File: 300px-Pokétch[1].png (73 KB, 300x143) Image search: [Google]
300px-Pokétch[1].png
73 KB, 300x143
What is the best device/tool/touch screen filler and why is it the Poketch? What functions do you hope for the SM one to have besides the DexNav or something very similar?
>>
>>25510455
>What is the best device/tool/touch screen filler and why is it the Poketch?
>Worst device
>the best

Pokenav+ > PSS > CGear > HG/SS interface > Poketch
>>
File: maximum B8.gif (109 KB, 200x200) Image search: [Google]
maximum B8.gif
109 KB, 200x200
>>25510489
>>
>>25510489
>>25510512
Good arguments from both sides, as usual.
>>
>>25510455
Honestly, I can't believe they still haven't brought it back in some form.

The sheer diversity meant I never had to consider my bottom screen deadweight outside of battle, even if it was just to tell the time.

I find it retarded how they don't even include the time or date or battery on the bottom screen in some way at all, especially on the only game that actually hangs a ton when you're forced to go to the homescreen to conveniently check.
>>
Personally, DPPt Vs seeker is goddamn amazing
>>
>>25510536
Alright
>loads of padding apps like
>Three drawing apps
>roulette
>coin flip
>Pokemon history
>a Counter
>Analog watch
>link searcher
>kitchen timer
>color changer
And so on
As well as event apps of all things that once again, did nothing of worth.

The only good apps were the berry searcher, friendship checker, Dowsing machine and the day care one.
The day care one didn't even have to exist since they could have done the exact same thing as they did in RS and have the NPC walk out when there was an egg.
>>
>>25510636
Honestly, I kinda prefer padding over putting things in the bottom screen that don't need to be there.
Having a drawing app on the bottom screen was one of my favorite features, but I can see that as being considered useless to some.

PSS would have been a good thing to have down there if it wasn't such a joke.

C-gear was pretty neat, but ahead of its time.

Honestly I just want to be able to send messages to my friends in-game. When are nintendo gonna start trusting us enough to let us send written messages to consenting accomplices again?
rip letterbox, the last time nintendo did a decent internet
>>
>>25510489
>C-Gear
>Good

I love Gen V but if you didn't have the Dowsing Machine on at all times you're a tremendous tard
>>
>>25510777
>the ability to connect locally anywhere at any point in time
>bad
>not liking those skins
>>
>>25510797
the option to have skins was great, it would have been nice if it wasnt such a hassle to change them.

genV had such a boner for shitty browser tie-ins.
>>
File: 1457356517001.png (57 KB, 240x200) Image search: [Google]
1457356517001.png
57 KB, 240x200
>>25510797
>>not liking those skins
>wifi is dead because Nintendo are god damn jews and didn't transfer the service over from the gamespy shutdown
>stuck with the garbage default skin in current playthrough
>C-Gear is pretty much completely useless now. It's only there to taunt you and remind you that the days of Gen 4 and 5 are gone
>>
>>25510899
>tfw kept the porygon Z and Halloween ones
The skins are the only thing that's keeping me from restarting those games.

Also Nintendo would have to do a mass recall on every cart to do that
>>
>>25510636
>coin flip
>padding

Everyone look at this guy and laugh.
>>
>>25511009
>not necessary at any point in the game
>not padding
Sinnohshits need to leave.
>>
>>25511082
>the simplest and most overt tool in any game to observe and manipulate the RNG is padding

Right.
>>
>>25511108
Yes?
That still makes it padding you retard.

If it doesn't have a use or doesn't benefit the player in any way it's just padding.
>>
File: 1393647744196.jpg (58 KB, 525x650) Image search: [Google]
1393647744196.jpg
58 KB, 525x650
>Pokemon world has amazing technology we could only dream of
>their smartwatches are Gameboy-tier compared to what we have now
>>
>>25511138
It's kind of like Star Wars

Advanced in some places, less-than-basic in others
>>
>>25511125
By your own definition it's not padding. Guaranteed IVs and shinies are the entire basis of trading. Trading is one of the staples in collecting all the pokemon. Collecting all the pokemon is the point of the game.
>>
>>25511155
>By your own definition it's not padding
Okay, tell me how a simple simulated coin toss benefits the player or how it has a use in game.

>Guaranteed IVs and shinies are the entire basis of trading.
You do know what we're currently talking about right?
>>
Pokenav+ is neat but the way they implemented PSS, Amie and Super Training into it is so awkward.
>>
>>25511183
Elaborate
>>
>>25511181
You can read up if you want.

http://www.smogon.com/ingame/rng/dpphgss_rng_intro
>>
>>25511251
Okay, so what does that have to do with the coin toss app?
>>
File: 1457366222221.jpg (271 KB, 791x822) Image search: [Google]
1457366222221.jpg
271 KB, 791x822
>>25511181
>he didn't into RNG abuse breeding and shiny hunting
>>
>>25510760
>PSS would have been a good thing to have down there if it wasn't such a joke.
You don't play with other people? I like being able to play and trade from practically anywhere.
>>
>>25511269
The coin toss app is the only in game device that lets you straight up view your RNG seed in-game.
>>
>>25511215
I hated having one of those open, then hearing a bush shake and having to exit out of the menu then switch over to Dexnav and start scanning. Switching between the PSS stuff is just as simple as pressing L and R, I don't know why they couldn't just do that with the map and Dexnav.

It's a small issue but it just makes it feel clunky. It's also weird how PSS/Amie/Training have their own little subcategory in Pokenav where everything else is separate.
>>
>>25511155
Not him but the RNG factor wasn't an intended part of the game and it's part of a long and frankly worthless process at the time seeing how abundant hacking was in Gen 4 which could give you the same benefits in a fraction of the time as for shiny pokemon the player could also get that normally through the Pokeradar.

To sum it up, Coin Toss was a padding app that was tied to RNG that unknowingly gave players access to a long and obtuse method of RNG abuse that was long made redundant.
>>
>>25511285
>>25511303
You do know you could perform RNG abuse without the coin toss app right?
>>
>>25511383
Pokeradar doesn't influence breeding, and hacking is not the same as manipulating the psuedo luck in the video game.
>>
>>25511434
>Pokeradar doesn't influence breeding
It does net you shiny pokemon which you(?) said was one of the elements of trading.
As for IVs, well, no one is going to bother with RNG unless they care about legitimacy and don't value their time.

So where exactly is the benefit anon if there are other methods that provide better results?
>>
>>25510455
Platinum poketch is the shit.

Gen 5 fucked up horribly. Might as well play black and white/2 on a GBA
>>
>>25511531
Look, Pokeradar only nets you the shinies that are available for capture in the wild. Not even half the existing pokemon fall into that category. And that means nothing about whether or not the pokemon will be usable.

As for legitimacy, that's important. If you're trading without concern of legitimacy, why aren't you just hacking in every pokemon to your game instead of trading?
>>
>>25511630
Question. If you can RNG any pokemon you want what is the purpose of trading anon?
>>
>>25511714
Cause it's fun and it's how the game was meant to be played.
>>
>>25511809
So where's the benefit of RNG when you can just hack them in and trade it saving you a large amount of time?
>>
>>25511843
One was generated by the random number generator of the game, the other was created by a player using 3rd party tools. No, there's no difference when it comes to the god damn data(as long as you know what you're doing), the only difference is whether you as the player care for it.

As someone that has used both ways, getting something legit even by manipulating the RNG in my favor feels much better than simply hacking in a pokemon. And the time argument is complete bullshit. It all depends on how much time each person wants to devote to a game and whether the enjoyment he gets out of it is worth it to him. Believe it or not there are people that enjoy the grinding.
>>
>>25511843
I didn't say there was a benefit to RNG
>>
>>25511939
Thing is without a benefit to RNG there's no benefit to the coin toss.

>>25511919
So it's more about "feeling" rather than an actual benefit.
>>
>>25511959
>So it's more about "feeling" rather than an actual benefit.
Well yeah. That's literally why there are people that choose to not use cheats or hacks in every game they are able to.
>>
>>25511714
You can't RNG in anything you can't normally obtain in game, all it does is skew the numbers in your favor. It's literally just a huge time saver. You still have to trade for pokemon you don't have and you still have to go to events and you still have to level and EV your pokemon and you still have to acquire your own items.
>>
>>25512031
So, it's just a huge time waster and the only difference being the feeling.

>>25512008
Thing is, this whole reply chain started because one anon said that the coin toss had no player benefit.
>>
>>25512047
>So, it's just a huge time waster and the only difference being the feeling.

Did you even read the response? It just saves you time, it doesn't change the experience in the slightest. You still go through the motions of breeding, you just get what you're trying for on the first egg rather than the 6000th.
>>
>>25512047
>Thing is, this whole reply chain started because one anon said that the coin toss had no player benefit.
Who fucking cares at this point? I don't even understand why padding when it comes to things like the poketch would be a bad thing. Yes, it had a bunch of useless to your gameplay apps, but it did so without them being intrusive or cladding the interface.

And no, the retarded "it took me 1 more seconds to scroll to the app I needed" argument that people brought up from time to time back in the day doesn't cut it. It takes 2-3 seconds to scroll through every app in platinum with a full poketch and it gave a feeling of having a digital watch from the 90s again which was kinda cool.

It's not like any other tool that fill the poketch/pokenav/whatever slot has managed to get it better. All that pokenav+ has that makes it good is the DexNav. The C-Gear was a massive shit with so limited features that every time you didn't use the online features, aka the majority of your playtime, is completely useless let alone now that it's literally unusable.
>>
I just want the Dexnav and PSS and the controls from HGSS so I can interact without having to switch back to the buttons and have running shoes on full time.
>>
I wish that rather than various degrees of crowns, and shitty low res pixel mon in their various environments, that the dexnav just gave you a single crown for completing the area, and a list broken into 3 sections for grass/surf/fishing that would have a ? if you hadn't gotten all the pokemon of that type yet.
>>
>>25510455
DexNav by far. Poketch was nice quality of life but DexNav actually does basic shit that's been in the anime since day 1. It's such a god tier feature.
Thread replies: 49
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.