[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Which generation committed the greatest sin?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /vp/ - Pokemon

Thread replies: 102
Thread images: 9
File: mio.png (154 KB, 300x300) Image search: [Google]
mio.png
154 KB, 300x300
Which generation committed the greatest sin?
>>
Objectively, probably gen 3 because you couldn't trade Pokémon from gen 2 to it.

Subjectively, I think gen 5 because the Pokémon are so ugly to me.
>>
>>25509421
Obviously Gen 2 - Forever.

Gen Won is holy.
>>
Kalos games are a completely bullshit (Not new fag, just Kalos games are terrible) so Gen VI
>>
Gen 3 by removing transfer from gen 2
This has been such a big fuckup that they even addressed it on the sun/moon reveal
>>
Gen 2 was so ashamed of its Pokemon its trainers didn't even use them.
>>
Six, for trying too hard to appeal to Gen 1 nostalgiafans.

Also for the how little there's to do post-game, EXP making battles easy and the lackluster Elite Four.
>>
Gen 3 transfer was a big fuck up
>>
Gen 3.

>removed pokemon transfer
>tried a whole bunch of new shit that fell flat, or was ahead of it's time
>all
>that
>fucking
>surfing
>>
>>25509421
stop smoking mio
>>
>games look worse than previous installments
>way too fucking linnear
>worst rivals
Gen v only unovababies will defend this
>>
>>25509487
GIVE THAT MAN A COOKIE
>>
>>25509487
3hip87me
>>
>>25509464
>>25509487
Way to stay on topic, dumbasses.
>>
>>25509490
>>25509492
Ok, now just return to your games and tries to find the correct nature and ability for your mon.
7/10
- too much "You can't transfer gen ii pkmn"
>>
Hmmm...actually, is that a sin? They might've wanted to get away from the collection aspect, and the real sin is that they brought it back in gen 5. I can't really count this as a sin to that generation specifically, since it's a flaw of the franchise in general, and has technically existed since the beginning. I guess the answer has to be gen 1, for even making a game that so blatantly goes against the message they intend to give.
>>
>>25509421
Gen 3 because they started with the "I'm gonna destroy the world" villains.
>>
>>25509421
I'd say 4.
>Ruined returning features
>dropped the Frame rate to 30 on a more powerful system
>made new pokemon unavailable until the post game or made you rely on the dual cart gimmick
>caused the series to take a turn for the worst in terms of difficulty

Most people will say it's gen 3 but forget that it wasn't intentional due to the hardware Nintendo used for the GBA, which is why it's so easy for them to make it compatible with bank nowadays because it doesn't have that issue because it's digital.
>>
Didnt know Gen III has a lot of haters. lol But some months before ORAS announcement everyone was loving Hoenn. just watching.
>>
File: Generation VII of Pokémon.jpg (69 KB, 651x500) Image search: [Google]
Generation VII of Pokémon.jpg
69 KB, 651x500
>>25509421
I can't say.
I'll wait on Pokémon Sun and Moon version, to say for sure..
>>
gen 6,for many reason
>the excessive gen one pandering with charizard and mewtwo and thier mega
>incredibly easy with exp share and and easy gyms and e4
>no post game at all,when you complete the game,there is nothing left to do
>the pokemon which where introducted weren't that much
>>
>>25509598
The worst part is that there's no Z that would make up for the flaws in the first two games.
>>
>>25509591
Hoenn is a cool region. Actually what sucks is Gen III but that doesnt make Hoenn a crap.
>>
>>25509591
>lol But some months before ORAS announcement everyone was loving Hoenn
Nah people still shat on Hoenn hard during that period.

In fact Hoenn hasn't really been liked around here since about the inception of the board.
>>
>>25509626
Worst part of Gen VI is Gen VI
>>
File: 200% Mad.png (657 KB, 799x960) Image search: [Google]
200% Mad.png
657 KB, 799x960
Gen III for ruining the Pokemon distribution so badly that they dropped the Gotta Catch Em All slogan as well as making two completely lackluster first installments compared to RB and GS

It's impossible to complete the Pokedex without at the very least Fire Red, Leaf Green, Colosseum and Gale of Darkness filling in the gaps Emerald leaves behind. Worst yet majority of the Johtomon in this generation were postgame
>>
>>25509596
And if Sun and Moon were theoretically canceled?
>>
So we finally arrived in a conclusion
Most hated Gen: III
Most loved Gen: II [?]
>>
>>25509695
Best generation yet
>>
>>25509677
Only the GBA games were necessary anon.
GoD and Colo weren't necessary.

>Worst yet majority of the Johtomon in this generation were postgame
So?
>>
Probably 6 for megas.
>>
>>25509487
And we got the worst fucking "remakes" ever.
>>
>>25509696
>conclusion
>29 posts and 18 people
Yeah no, if you take the whole of /vp/ into consideration you'd probably have something like
Most hated gen: IV
Most loved gen: V
>>
Gen V or Gen VI

Gen V started trends like handing the player powerful stuff like lucky eggs, making the player the chosen one, forcing legendary captures, everyone only using 3 Pokemon etc. and Gen VI pushed these same trends even further.
>>
I don't get why people hate gen 3, it was a nice game, Hoenn is a great region, the pokemon they introduced were amazing, the OST is nice and is not nearly as bad as Gen 6. Gen VI is the f**** worst, Yveltal is the only thing i can save from that shitty gen
>>
>>25509696
This is SO relative. Here ate /vp/ there are a lot of johtofags but if you go to another forum you will see different fags. Except for serebii forums, in that place everyone hates everything.
>>
>>25509700
They were necessary for Ho-Oh and Lugia, Anon. You can't get those without hacking nowadays because the Naval Rock events don't exist

Also lack of content is still lack of content even if you hate Johto Shitmons
>>
>>25509735
It's a meme to hate gen 3 around these parts.
Whatever it's done for the series is instantly negated because it's gen 3.
>>
>>25509598
>le i hate le charizard and le mewtwo because they're popular meme.
Not even my favorites but still.
>>
>>25509747
>They were necessary for Ho-Oh and Lugia, Anon.
They were event pokemon at the time, they weren't necessary for Dex completion.
You might as well complain about Celebi being unreleased in the west too if you're going to cherry pick like that.

>Also lack of content is still lack of content even if you hate Johto Shitmons
How exactly is it lack of content if they were delegated to post game to encourage further playing? That doesn't exactly make sense anon.
>>
Gen VI, 3D was a mistake.
>>
>>25509421
Gen 3 for not transfering from Gen 1/2.

Gen 4 for the retarded pokémon gods and overall crap designs.
>>
>>25509783
Kalos was a mistake. Kalos sucks, Hoenn in 3D was pretty cool. Kalos looked like a rebooted Kanto.
>>
>>25509749
Your right, including to and introducing

>God-tier, plot-based legendaries that the evil teams sought after
>Removal of features from previous installments allowing this trend to continue for the rest of the series
>Lackluster first-game design that had almost illegible text for a GBA game
>Complete removing an approximate 100 of the 386 Pokemon introduced thus far, necessitating the remakes and other games to catch the rest

This is coming off of GSC which were nothing but gameplay improvements over RBY and it doesn't help that the lack of connectivity really burned Gen III's reputation. Without being able to connect to RBY, I'd say Gen II would suffer the similar issues, but even then were still massive improvements over Gen I
>>
>>25509795
Kalos was the worst.
I just miss the beautiful sprites from gen IV/V, so many 3d models look absolutely terrible while all the popular mons got nice models because they had time invested into them.
>>
>>25509421
Gen 2 for being too good for its time.
Gen 5 for much the same reason, and it was too short.
>>
>>25509809
>>Removal of features from previous installments allowing this trend to continue for the rest of the series
That was Gen 2 anon, remember how gutted Kanto was and the removal of the safari zone?
That said only the gimmicks didn't make it over due to the complete restructuring of the game, unlike gen 2 that mostly relied on generation 1 assets, gen 3 was made from the ground up as far as the engine and framework goes.

>>Lackluster first-game design that had almost illegible text for a GBA game
I think you may have played a bootleg version. The text was far from illegible.

>>Complete removing an approximate 100 of the 386 Pokemon introduced thus far, necessitating the remakes and other games to catch the rest
>removal
See about that, they weren't removed from the game at all. Their data still existed in RS and you could trade older Pokemon from FRLG to RS. That said, the issue of no transfers wasn't a problem with the game but an issue of the hardware it was on, Nintendo updated link cable connectivity and it was no longer compatible with the older games.

>This is coming off of GSC which were nothing but gameplay improvements over RBY
Eh, GSC did add a fair amount of gameplay elements but the brunt of it did nothing for the gameplay other than make it much more tedious on the player, like forcing wait times on them for items and Pokemon. It's a lot more noticeable in HGSS however due to it being in real time.
>>
>>25509795
Hoenn in 3D was literally just GBA Hoenn ported to the 3DS. Nothing aesthetically pleasing or significantly unique, except for maybe the Cave of Origin.

The blocky overworld is minecraft-tier levels of retarded
>>
File: Pokemon-RubyVersionUV11_36.png (5 KB, 240x160) Image search: [Google]
Pokemon-RubyVersionUV11_36.png
5 KB, 240x160
>>25509879
The gutted Kanto was because Gen II's region design was mediocre and Iwata compressed it down to allow for it to be put in the first place. I'm talking strictly from an engine point of view, the RSE engine wasn't really perfected until Gen V. I would say Gen IV, but slow

Pic-related. RS had awful text that was replaced in FRLG and reused in Emerald

Exactly, but they were still removed unless you hacked or waited for FRLG in order to be able to use them. Gen II did something similar, but it came out after Gen I so you were still able to catch em all. Prior to FRLG, it was impossible to do so

The wait times at least allowed for the immersion of the experience, but I can give you that it's a bit tedious. Day-Night aside, Gen II still introduced two new types, item-holding, breeding and Special Defense. Gen III revamping the old system meant it couldn't introduce as much and we only got IVs the worst thing in the series, new EV mechanics, Natures and Abilities. These were intensely refined in Gen IV, and refined again in Gen V until a completely new system was made for Gen VI
>>
>>25509421
Gen 4 will always be the worst. Worst region, worst pokemon, fucked up my favorite gen

Gen 4 has no redemption and I can't wait to hate myself for buying the remakes
>>
Gen 2 because it called Ash Red.
>>
File: 1398174782471.jpg (44 KB, 500x381) Image search: [Google]
1398174782471.jpg
44 KB, 500x381
6; removing sprites.

Sprites are where a lot of the series' charm was. And you can make really awesome, high-quality sprites in 2016.

3D models are fine, but leave them in the Stadium-style spinoffs.
>>
>>25509421
Generation 3, no trading from older generations and introducing a vague EV system no one understood at the time.

But other generations sinned too like generation 6 by having underwhelming 3D environments and forced handholding everywhere.
>>
>>25510004
Actually kill yourself
>>
>>25509950
>The gutted Kanto was because Gen II's region design was mediocre and Iwata compressed it down to allow for it to be put in the first place.
The thing about that is that means that GF purposely designed Johto to be that small without things such as the Safari Zone to begin with and rather than making the main region better they decided to tack on their previous work with minor alterations in order to save space.

>Pic-related. RS had awful text that was replaced in FRLG and reused in Emerald
That's far from illegible anon, but it isn't a very appealing font I'll give you that. Either way the text was clear as day.

>Exactly, but they were still removed unless you hacked or waited for FRLG in order to be able to use them.
Fair enough.
In the end though the blame for that particular issue lies with Nintendo themselves rather than GF and Gen 3.

>Gen III revamping the old system meant it couldn't introduce as much and we only got IVs the worst thing in the series, new EV mechanics, Natures and Abilities.
IVs and EVs already existed in prior games under different names, I still don't get how people forget this. Oh and on the case that they were refined over the years, they haven't been changed really until X and Y and it was very slight but we were also given new ways to manipulate them between those generations.
Anyway, along with the aforementioned natures and abilities which changed the game significantly RSE added a lot of QoL improvements, features and side games such as;
Running Shoes
Double Battles
Contests and I'll never forgive gen 4 for removing the depth and difficulty it had.
The ability to plant berries in soft soil
Secret Bases although admittedly the better features were only available with friends.
And then there was the new PC system that didn't require you to save.
I could go on but you get the point.
>>
File: 1302805682691.png (213 KB, 544x435) Image search: [Google]
1302805682691.png
213 KB, 544x435
I can understand the incompatibility of G3 with the previous games, but its worst offense was how needlessly difficult it made to complete the Pokédex. Even if you actively traded between all 5 of the G3 games and downloaded all the events you STILL wouldn't have all the Pokémon. Many of G1 and G2 ones were obtained only from the Colosseum games on GC, and that's bullshit. Even the following generations didn't spread themselves so thinly even though trading got so much easier thanks to online.
>>
>>25509421
Gen 6.
Changing the cries.
>>
>>25510144
>Many of G1 and G2 ones were obtained only from the Colosseum games on GC
Only Ho-oh and Lugia weren't available between the five GBA games and they were delegated events until the Gen 4 games.
They were never necessary for dex completion in Gen 3.

>Even the following generations didn't spread themselves so thinly even though trading got so much easier thanks to online.
Online was terrible up until gen 5.
The only reason they didn't have issues like that is because they were never disconnected from gen 3.
>>
V.
>shitmons everywhere
>game looks worse than 4th gen games
>angles are shit
>too many shitty legendaries no one cares about
>awkward pacing
>online content full of bugs, lack of support
>even TPCi killed support off prematurely
>>
>>25509421
Gen IV ruined legendaries forever with the introduction of Pokegods, in addition to flooding the market with a ridiculous amount of legendary Pokemon. It even spilled over into Gen V which added the same absurd amount.
>>
>>25510196
>It even spilled over into Gen V which added the same absurd amount.
At least they balanced it out by introducing the most regular pokemon yet and the legends weren't gods.
>>
>>25510196
I LOVE having a lot of legendaries in a new gen.
Because in Gen IV, legendaries added a lot of post game things to do.

In XY post game is boring because you have nobody to catch except for Zygarde, boring Mewtwo and Bird
>>
>>25509429
>objectively
REEEEEEEEE
>>
>>25509421
greatest sin =/= worst.

Kalos and Gen VI were weak because a lot of effort was put towards bringing everything up to 3D models.

Gen II was strictly better than Gen I in every way, but by having all the Kanto stuff the Johto stuff suffered.

Overall, I'd say Generation III just because of the no backwards compatibility, the mediocre things it introduced only to later drop (Berry mixing, contests, dive) the constant surfing, and Max/Wally.
>>
>>25510223
What's wrong with Wally? He's just a kid.
>>
>>25509421
5 for having the awesome idea of Challenge mode and implementing it horribly
>>
>>25510223
>contests
>mediocre
Go fuck yourself anon, that was the only good alternative to battling and it was ruined in gen 4 before being removed.
>>
>>25510204
>and the legends weren't gods
>trio literally based on the kami

I suppose I should be grateful they weren't at time/space levels again, I guess.

>>25510211
I disagree entirely. There are just too many of them, it feels like a joke. There's like, twenty local legendary Pokemon and no one has caught one?

In the case of Gen 1 or XY this makes sense because there aren't a lot and they're very isolated. It makes them feel special. Gen IV and V makes me feel like I'm digging through the bargain bin.
>>
>>25509723
>gen V
>vp's most loved gen

Kek
>>
>>25510262
Yeah, when the only complaints for it amount to
>I don't like this pokemon because (opinion)
It's better than the ones with the legitimate flaws.
>>
>>25509421
Honestly, I feel like gen 3 and 6 did the shittiest things.

Anyone remember how gen 3 had all those pokemon that lived on special islands and crap that you had to get a special peripheral just to scan a special card that you got at a special event in some special city just to get?
That sounded neat when I was younger and didn't foresee how the games would change, but looking back even from gen IV it was pretty deplorable.

The games standalone were still pretty solid, but they implemented a lot of things that were retardedly exclusive.
I wanna also throw in breaking the transfer chain they started, but I do recall it being because of some kind of technology gap that was necessary to push the games and console further.

Gen 6 is responsible for shitty things like its power creep and megas, absolutely shameless bias for a handful of pokemon, and totally half-assed gameplay elements that let it stagnate.
The online of gen 6 is laughable at best, you'd think what with how they've mentioned in interviews how they're trying to "bring pokemon into the future" that they can't grasp basic online functionality, but then this is a pretty reoccurring theme in nintendo and I'm not even surprised now.

Things like amie and such were pretty bad, but putting love and care into 720 different models that were actually pretty visually pleasing by themselves is difficult so I usually give it a pass.
That being said, they really shouldnt have hyped up the friendship/amie system if they were gonna leave it so barebones.

Overall I wanna say that gen VI committed the greatest sin, since it was supposed to bring pokemon onto a platform that could finally make all our dreams come true, and it could have, and they treated it like it was going to, and then they simply didn't.
I personally consider Gen6 a 40£ stepping stone into pokemon being great, maybe that's being harsh.
>>
>>25510253
Mythical Pokemon were a mistake

The Musketeer Quartet should've never had been legendaries. Meloetta probably neither, as much as I like it. Should've been just the Kami Trio, Tao Trio, Victini and Genesect

They need to make rare Pokemon like Snorlax again. Volcarona was a step in the right direction
>>
All games post HG/SS for not having Pokéathlon.
>>
>>25510276
That's your opinion retard. We're talking /vp/'s favourite here.
>>
>>25510288
>Anyone remember how gen 3 had all those pokemon that lived on special islands and crap that you had to get a special peripheral just to scan a special card that you got at a special event in some special city just to get?
No?
The E-reader cards only had specific trainers and berries that did the same things as the ones in game.
Mirage Island, that wasn't tied to a peripheral, was only inhabited by Wynaut, a pokemon that every player with a copy of RSE could get from a free egg in lavaridge.

There were the event pokemon but those were an issue with every game to date rather than just Gen 3.
>>
>>25509429
I think three because of beeping people near you instead of getting calls
>>
>>25509438
Gen two added breeding and hold items to one, I have no idea how anyone could have played one and not two
>>
>>25511049
Half of Gen 2's mechanics were still broken or did fuck all.
>>
>>25511067
>Items broken
>Breeding broken
>Special Defense broken

You can't break what was fixing the previous generation for being so vanilla. Gen III was an improvement but didn't reach its full potential until the Physical/Special split and was stuck being limited to that stupid type crap
>>
>>25509479
Acknowledged, but if is okay to use any pokemon you wat
>>
>>25509498
i think BW2 looked pretty
>>
>>25509723
>/vp/'s most hated
>IV
>>
>>25511180
>/vp/s most legitimately criticized game
>not IV
>>
>>25511196
/vp/ hates VI the most, specifically oras
>>
>>25509421
thanks doc
>>
>>25509421
Gen 6. Megas. And I wouldn't mind megas that much if they didn't replace proper evolutions period.
>>
File: wat!.png (408 KB, 576x416) Image search: [Google]
wat!.png
408 KB, 576x416
>>25510004
You're literally worse than Lysandre
>>
>>25509677
I was so stunned at how garbage gen III was at the time, after putting thousands of hours into GSC. The first time I saw a Ralts I had to double check I wasn't emulating a chinese clone.
>>
>>25509677
By the time I actually managed to get my hands on a Gamecube-GBA link cable, gen V was already out. Fuck Colosseum and XD. Thank god they gave up on the big console games and can now get all those versus/online functions on handhelds.
>>
>>25510004
Stadium-style spinoffs will never happen again since the 3DS is powerful enough to do all the shit you couldn't do with previous handhelds that needed a full console to do
>>
>>25509714
ORAS is better that RSE. RSE was shit.
>>
>>25511946
Obviously not, as all the models and animations are trash compared to PS2 models.
>>
File: download (11).jpg (6 KB, 259x194) Image search: [Google]
download (11).jpg
6 KB, 259x194
>>25512050
Yeah I sure love Lego Pokémon
>>
>>25509735
it's just a meme
>>
>>25512010
I mean, yeah

But the remakes themselves are still more mediocre than FRLG or HGSS
>>
Gen IV just for the whole god thing, but it's still a great gen.

>>25509429
Your shit taste is a sin.
>>
>>25509421
Removed the ability to trade from previous games.
Removed good features of previous gens.
>>
>>25509421
Gen 6 for having garbage designs and being ridiculously easy
>>
>>25509421
Seeing this pic in the catalog is making me sick. It's like I spent a long time in the sun and now I'm seeing colors distorted.
>>
File: 44b copy.png (233 KB, 378x378) Image search: [Google]
44b copy.png
233 KB, 378x378
>>25510004
Also this. Sprites are just aesthetically more appealing than 3D models, since the former rarely have any sort of personality

>>25510110
>>25511626
Consider suicide
>>
>>25514506
On the contrary, the transition to 3D models finally allows some of the personality to shine through. Porygon-Z's is amazing.
>>
>>25514561
That would be nice if the models weren't so casually animated or had really desaturated colors

If Sun and Moon have more dynamic poses and were more vibrant they would be on point. It really doesn't help that you still have them standing in the void with no real interaction and artwork doing the attacks for them
Thread replies: 102
Thread images: 9

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.