[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What's the best pokemon game to play as a total virgin to
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /vp/ - Pokemon

Thread replies: 38
Thread images: 3
File: image_21.jpg (24 KB, 444x452) Image search: [Google]
image_21.jpg
24 KB, 444x452
What's the best pokemon game to play as a total virgin to the series?

As in, which one did they get the pokemon formula down the best?
>>
Total poke virgin

HGSS
>>
I'd recommend FRLG, but that's before the special/Phys split on moves.
>>
FRLG, Platinum, or HGSS.
>>
If you play anything after Gen IV the first 3 are practically unplayable

Release Date allows you to appreciate the advances and disappointments each generation has to offer. If you play the games older than being 10 years old the chances of nostalgic bias will significantly decrease
>>
>>25509365
Gen 3 is pretty playable, looks like a snes game.
Gen 1 and 2 in other side... I don't think they're very attractive to newcomers.
>>
>>25509382
Just because the game looks decent enough doesn't make it that much more fun. I guess I can agree with the other Anons and suggest FRLG because it has the simplistic nature of RBY but a lot of the added benefits to make the game feel more fair

GSC really feel better after having played RBY. RSE barely feel approachable by newcomers at all. And as I said, anything after the Physical/Special split makes the first three generations moot
>>
Platinum, the true HM experience.
>>
I mean, you could start with the new games.
>>
HG/SS are the best damn games in the series. If you play those and if you enjoy it, then you'd equally enjoy Black/White too.
>>
>>25509332
Honestly, XY.

This board hates XY right now, but for a new player, they're great. Lots of variety for mons in the region, shows you the basics, and most importantly, the most up-to-date generation. Pick X or Y, then either pick up OR or AS or wait for Sun or Moon
>>
>>25509399
But RSE (the original ones, not the remakes) is fun, I don't get what you mean by "barely feel approachable by newcomers at all" since I introduced Pokémon to my cousins and friends with RSE many years ago.
I would not say that's is my favorite game, this is BW2, though.
>>
FRLG or BW2. HGSS has shit level scaling
>>
>>25509332
I'd say Platinum, since it is the last third version we will ever see had. HGSS can be a little tedious if it's your first time playing, and even if Gen 5 is great because of B2W2 you should go through BW first to fully appreciate those; and that can be quite harsh depending on your tastes.

Still, HGSS and B2W2 are the best games in the franchise; but maybe not for a total virgin.

>inb4 liking Gen 5 blah blah blah muh opinions blah blah blah level curve blah blah blah faggot
>>
File: hiougi3.jpg (15 KB, 256x192) Image search: [Google]
hiougi3.jpg
15 KB, 256x192
BW2. I tried HGSS, Platinum, and BW and couldn't get into them. BW2 not only helped me get back into pokemon, but reignited my love for the series and made me go back and play all the ones I missed/couldn't get into.
>>
>>25509332

Pokemon Black or White is the best introduction to the series as a whole. It gets you into the essential mechanics right away and is a really fast start.
>>
>>25509332
Don't listen to the hipster faggots who will tell you BW/BW2 in this thread
Gen 5 is by far the worst generation, everyone outside of this board agrees on it

Start with Gen 3 games, as going back to them will be hard if you begin with a game that had better graphics/mechanics.
Then play Gen 4 (Platinum and HGSS)
After that, skip Gen 5 and play XY
>>
>>25509332
Any of the gen VI games. You'll like 'em.
>>
>>25509332
X and Y
>>
>>25513263

Why start with Gen 3 when he could just start with ORAS?
>>
>>25513470
Because he's a memester as well
>>
desu I'd say HGSS. BW for the Story perhaps, but the mon designs are largely shit and I personally didn't like Unova. But don't start with BW2 I absolutely hated these games so much I didn't even finish my B2 because it was too much hand holding and too much blabla. I prefer just playing through the game iwhtout someone coming after me to heal my pokemon every 5 seconds.
>>
>>25509332
If you're just startig out: Fire Red/Leaf Green or Black/White
>>
>>25509399
>le physical special types makes the games unplayable meme

Why do people exaggerate this so much? Yes the phys/spec split was good but it by no means makes the previous games unplayable. And for in-game purposes it barely fucking matters
>>
X and Y is probably literally the best for a newbie.

It may not have the best story. But the sheer number of pokemon available in that game is staggering, while every other game's wild pokemon encounters are limited and feel more repetitive as you continue.
>>
>>25509332
FRLG to get a nice balance of old and new at the same time. They are the very first games, but with bugfixes, better sound, better mechanics, post-game, and SNES-tier graphics.

HGSS for the best experience overall, including most current gameplay mechanics, in-battle Pokémon animations, 3D overworld and god-tier post-game content. Bonus points if you play them after FRLG.
>>
>>25509332
I want to say HGSS but a lot of HGSS relies on the plot from the Kanto games. I'd start with FRLG and then play HGSS. If you don't care too much about plot, jump right into Heart Gold.

Don't bother with the original RBY.
>>
How good is ORAS? Been wanting to get it, or should I just wait until the new gen?
>>
>>25516022
It depends. 50% of people praise it like a masterpiece, and the other 50% say the game is fucking garbage. I'm part of the latter.
>>
>>25516051
Really? I thought it was universilly accepted that ORAS was trash. What you described sounds more like BW2 (Which I'm part of the former).
>>
>>25516083
On /vp/, ORAS is trash. Everywhere else, it seems to be split but leaning towards positive.
>>
>>25516051
>>25516083
For people who think ORAS is trash, do you guys still play XY in the 6th gen instead of ORAS then?
>>
>>25516106
I don't play competitive so I did everything in Y (except beating the battle facilities) and dropped OR right after Delta Episode (I dropped it halfway for a few months then forced myself to finish it just for the Delta Episode).
>>
>>25513470
>Trusting someone to start with Hoenn and skip Unova

Don't trust these types
>>
>>25513565
It makes using certain mons fucking unbearable and unable to tap their full potential

Linking Physical and Special to certain types was fucking retarded, especially when there existed non-offensive moves
>>
>>25509451
Seconding this.
>>
File: 1456777008640.jpg (68 KB, 720x552) Image search: [Google]
1456777008640.jpg
68 KB, 720x552
>>25513263
or you can play all the generations and not be sheltered and have your own opinion.
>>
Honestly and truly, start with Ruby or Sapphire. The originals. The remakes (OR/AS) are great, but they kind of show off the flaws of those games too. Also, when I played Sapphire, it was EXTREMELY hard to put down.

X/Y is another great starter game, but it's a lot different from the usual experience. It has a pastel look, there's an emphasis on fashion & beauty, and the bad guys were really boring when compared to other gens.

You could also play HG/SS, which are some of my favorites, but that's because Silver was my first.
Thread replies: 38
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.