[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Fluff/lore-wise, what is the difference between Psychic and Fairy?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /vp/ - Pokemon

Thread replies: 59
Thread images: 3
File: Untitled.png (47 KB, 520x410) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.png
47 KB, 520x410
Fluff/lore-wise, what is the difference between Psychic and Fairy? Don't say telekinetic powers, because Pokemon like Golduck have those and are not Psychic-type.
>>
Psychic: Intelligence, mental things...
Fairy: Pure, goodness... "Light" Type
>>
>>25485666
>Pure
>goodness
there is no purity or goodness on the motherfucker keys or the motherfucker weed cotton
>>
>>25485650
They make it up as they go along so there's no absolute consensus; but you can draw up some vague ideas based on which mons get which typing.

It seems like the general rule is Psychic being associated with cosmic energies and "outer" concepts, whereas Fairy is associated with more classical folkloric powers and "inner" concepts. Or to put it another way: Psychic-types are about tapping into the spiritual flow of the universe, and Fairy-types are about tapping into the spiritual flow of emotions and heart/soul.
>>
Dick size.
>>
>>25485650

The reason we have so many Psychic legendaries is because Psychic was used as a stand-in for any kind of mystical force.

They should have retyped some of the Psychic legendaries.

Celebi should have become Grass/Fairy.
Jirachi should have become Steel/Fairy.
Victini should have become Fairy/Fire.
The lake trio should have become Psychic/Fairy.
Cresselia should have become pure Fairy.
>>
>>25485698
Why not?
Stunfisk is a fucking fish and is Earth/Electric and is weak to water.
>>
>>25485740
>Cresselia should have become pure Fairy.
NO
>>
psychics are to do with the mind and mental based powers

fairy is about folklore, magic mischief ...and the moon.
>>
>>25485650
Psychic is based on Psi or ESP mental powers while Fairy is based on Faerie which were magical beings. Also the japanese translations for the move Confusion is literally Telekinesis.
>>
>>25485768

Yes, it has the whole lunar theme going on.

Plus it's supposed to cure the nightmares inflicted by Darkrai.
>>
>>25485793
That fat fuck is already a pain in the ass to KO. Fairy would make it ridiculous.
>>
>>25485783
>japanese translations for the move Confusion is literally Telekinesis
That makes so much fucking sense
>>
Psychic is closer to the occult and mad science.
Fairy is closer to the whimsical folktales.
>>
>>25485806
Thought we were talking lore
>>
>>25485815
Yes anon so any mon that can learn Confusion already has telekinesis.
>>
>>25485702
I like this.
>>
File: Darkrai_Newmoon_Island.png (2 MB, 929x1280) Image search: [Google]
Darkrai_Newmoon_Island.png
2 MB, 929x1280
>>25485740

You're forgetting Darkrai, who's almost as associated with the moon as Cresselia and part of the fairy tale too.
>>
Fairy should more like mythical creatures from folktales rather than pink things. I hope they change things up.

More things like Mawile and Xerneas.
>>
>>25485909
The majority of Fairy-types are already not pink. And the majority of pink mons are still not Fairy.
>>
>>25485783
>Psychics learn/manipulate supernatural powers using their minds
>Fairies are made of para-natural powers
Yeah I can dig this
>>
Psychic is science and mind tricks.

Fairy is unexplainable magic.
>>
>>25485815
Does... it? What does it telekinesis? Why is it special instead of physical then?

At least the English move Telekinesis sort of makes sense, you are moving projectiles or yourself away in order to be more evasive.

I still don't know what psychic is supposed to be besides a yugioh abridged style mind crush.
>>
>>25486024
And yet metronome is a fucking normal move! What the fuck?
>>
>>25485650
You know how nobody groups things like PSI and close encounter stories in with magic and fairy tales? It's like that. Fairy is mystical, psychic isn't. That's how I think of it anyway.
>>
fairy is dragon quest
psychic is earthbound
>>
>>25485650
psychic: affects the mind
fairy: affects the heart/soul
>>
>>25486197
Fairy is unexplainable magic.
Metronome is just unexplainable.

Oh wait hang on
>Waggles a finger and stimulates the brain into using any move at random.
I guess its based on that pseudo-science theory of unlocking the brain's full potential or something
>>
Fairy is the cute, pink type. You know this to be true.

>b-buh Anon, there are some Fairies that aren't cute or/or pink!

And Slowpoke is an idiot, yet it's in the same type as all the smartest mons.
>>
>>25485984
Majority pink
>Cleffa, Clefairy, Clefable
>Snubbull, Granbull
>Florges
>Spritzee, Aromatisse
>Swirlix, Slurpuff
>Sylveon
>Igglybuff, Jigglypuff, Wigglytuff
>Diancie

Some pink
>Mime Jr., Mr. Mime
>Ralts, Kirlia, Gardevoir
>Carbink
>Klefki

No pink
>Togepi, Togetic, Togekiss
>Azurill, Marill, Azumarill
>Mawile
>Cottonee, Whimsicott
>Flabebe, Floette
>Dedenne

We need more folk tale mons.
>>
>>25486197
because memes
>>
>>25486197
Normal is the default type for things that can be anything. See: Ditto, Eevee, Porygon, Smeargle Kecleon, Arceus
>>
>>25486286

Granbull is purple
>>
>>25486286
I forgot Xerneas in no pink and move Mime Jr. to majority pink.
>>
>Golduck isn't a psychic type

You're joking right?

I swear to god if I check Bulbapedia and he's not a psychic type my whole life is a lie
>>
>>25486264
It just seems to be the ideal candidate for a fairy move, since it is Clef's signature and it well, makes no sense. Why metronome? Why clefairy?

>>25486298
>>25486295
True, just that seems particularly wonky. I was about to say, isn't Hidden power psychic? But it isn't. Well played.
>>
>>25486383
Poliwhirl learns hypnosis, is it psychic? Loads of Pokemon get moves of other types, even in gen 1 where Pokemon only learned normal moves.
>>
>>25486383
Golduck, Ninetales, Florges, and Goodra are all monotype.
>>
>>25486259
this
>>
>>25486286
>>Ralts, Kirlia, Gardevoir
That's red.
>>Carbink
What part is pink?
>>
>>25486425
Yeah but the entire premise of Psy/Golduck in the anime was that they were Psychic

I mean I get that it's the anime but that's a big lie to sell
>>
File: 1454265604139.jpg (91 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
1454265604139.jpg
91 KB, 480x360
>>25485650
Psychic represents the mind Woah holy shit

Fairy represents nature and life.

It's not hard to understand types, guys.
>>
>>25486638
"While lulling its enemies with its vacant look, this wily Pokémon will use psychokinetic powers."

This is Red/Blue's original pokedex entry for Psydusk, weird, right? The headache and mysterious powers did end up in the game, but only after yellow (i.e. After the anime).
>>
>>25485650
The fact that Golduck has telekinetic powers is represented by the fact that Golduck has Psychic type abilities. So yes, Psychic is about that.
>>
>>25485698
You are pure gold <3
>>
>>25485702
Wow, a worthy opinion
>>
Psychic is sort of the "hard work" bullshit powers variety. You have powers and you have to focus to hone them, you're manipulating your inner power to affect the world around you.

Fairy type seems to be the "I have a connection with natural magic and will use it to fuck you up." Moonblast, Geomancy, Fairy Wind, Moonlight, there's a theme that it's not the fairy itself plowing you as much as it's borrowing power from other sources. There are some exceptions like Disarming Voice and Dazzling Gleam but think, those seem to be much more on the "unexplainable power added to regular actions" side. Disarming Voice is Hyper Voice with fairy bullshit sprinkled on top.

Psychics are wizards. Faeries are warlocks/natural spirits.
>>
Psychic = Space
Fairy = Moon
>>
>>25485650

Psychic is based on the mind.
Fairy, like dragon, is based on folklore and sometimes playing with words
>>
It's like the difference between fantasy and scifi.
>>
Can Fairy and Psychic=Magic and Science? Atleast that's one way I see it.
>>
>>25489616
Only problem is that we have a wizard themed Pokemon that is Fire/Psychic.
>>
>>25485740
Work at Game Freak you should.
>>
>>25485702
a real answer god bless
>>
>>25490243

It's a really shitty wizard, so that's a point against Psychic working well with magic.
>>
>>25485650
Psychic: Logic, intellect, focus, will, strict

Fairy: Whimsey, imagination, playful, freedom, unexplained
>>
>>25485702
>>25486999
>>25485867
>>25490433
Goddamn hippies
>>
>>25490469
This. The fact that you're giving multiple descriptive terms helps also.

People forget that types are vague concepts that cover a ton of different things. It's like how Dragon types dont necessarily have to be literal dragons, but also wyverns, draconic qualities or just straight up rage, or how Dark fits evil intent, dirty fighting, literal darkness and the brutality of nature.
>>
>>25490496
conservashit?
Thread replies: 59
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.