[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What's wrong with this Gen 5 Pokemon Day 3-Emboar line
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /vp/ - Pokemon

Thread replies: 72
Thread images: 9
Yesterday was the Serperior line, now we'll be looking at Gen 5's fire starter, Tepid and his evos. What negative opinions do you have for this fire pig? (though it should be obvious).

Also, /vp/ if I may ask, can I leave out a few obvious Gen 5 Pokes from here? I mean the Vanilluxe, Garbodor, and Klinklang lines. These 3 are arguably the most talked about Gen 5 Pokemon. I don't think we need to go through them again.
Anyways my thoughts on Emboar: Same as everyone else's...except for the design. I think it's okay. It would look fitting if Emboar was also a Fire/Ground type instead.
>>
I love Emboar. The whole line is really good.

I don't see why people rag on it, it's one of the most consistent Pokemon evolution progressions. It's not like Oshawott > Dewott > SUDDENLY ENTIRELY DIFFERENT DESIGN DIRECTION SAMUROTT
>>
File: 42048637_p0.jpg (70 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
42048637_p0.jpg
70 KB, 500x500
>on our way to gen 7
>people are still questioning gen 5
fucking hell
>>
>>25482103
Design wise he is perfect. He has a great moveset . I just wish he wasn't fighting.
>>
>>25482103
What's wrong with it is that it has the same source of inspiration as Infernape, so we can two Pokemon with the same aesthetic in a row, and their both fire/fighting, so the second one is gonna get shafted for being "unoriginal"

Infernape is based on Sun Wukong as well as being a Monkey. People probably like monkeys more. I group up in a farm, and I worked with pugs alot, they're cool animals, real nice and very aware and intelligent.
>>
>Fire/Fighting again, AGAIN
>The worst of the Fire/Fighting Pokemon to boot

Another thing that bothers me is the name. Charizard, Typhlosion, Blaziken, and Infernape all had powerful-sounding names. Blazes and infernos are a lot more powerful than embers. Emboar would have been a fine name for the second stage, but as the third, it's really weak-sounding.
>>
File: Game Over - Return of Ganon.png (2 KB, 96x96) Image search: [Google]
Game Over - Return of Ganon.png
2 KB, 96x96
>>25482137
Because Fire/Fighting and nothing else, which let's be honest, the fucker barely learns any Fighting moves in the first place

He definitely has an okay design but suffers from Game Freak being full-on retard. Also the orange on his shiny is the worst, should've been all-blue
>>
>>25482160
I know emboar has the gold swirly circles, but is that really all that is necessary to refer to Sun Wukong?

My brother is learning about him in school right now.
>>
>>25482185
>Also the orange on his shiny is the worst, should've been all-blue
Oh no, totally. But there are a ton of bad shinies. They seriously should just redesign almost all of them in the next Gen, no one would mind.
>>
>>25482103

hey, if you're going to do this shit, at least don't word the OP in a way that encourages shitposting.
>>
>>25482103
OP should remember that /vp/ is way too busy sucking Gen V's dick to notice how shitty most of the Pokémon are.
>>
>>25482188
Emboar is based on Zhu Bajie, also from Journey to the West. It's also the reason it can learn scald, because Zhu Bajie had some control over the water and was actually an agile fighter when underwater, while Wukong struggled greatly underwater.
>>
>>25482231

And here come the shitposters that this thread would attract, as predicted.
>>
>>25482233
That's a pretty cool inspiration. Makes me appreciate Emboar more. My thoughts behind it learning Scald was that GameFreak was making a surprisingly dark joke about boiled pork.
>>
I like Emboar a lot. I only wish it was better. I mean he's miles ahead of Samurott, but even with his hidden ability, he is only barely good in UU.

I hope he gets a good mega.
>>
>>25482233
Oh. Well, that makes a lot more sense. I wonder if Japanese and Chinese fans don't mind these guys as much as we do.

Does Zhu Bajie have a connection to pigs at all?
>>
>>25482319
Try googling Zhu Bajie and see for yourself
>>
idk if you're trying to become popular but these boards are boring af
>>
>>25482103
Honestly,Emboar line is the best starter line. What kills me is the fucking generic Fire/Fighting. Enough. Enough is enough.
>>
>>25482319
When kicked out of Heaven after getting drunk and trying to get some fug from the Moon Goddess, we was cast down and turned to a pig man, like Wukong became a monkey man.
>>
>>25482103
I don't like Emboar because it's the THIRD fire/fighting in a row and it is too slow, even for in game.
>>
>>25482365
Best gen 5 starter line*

please dont attack me i have a family
>>
Emboar is a little overdesigned. The first two, however, are great. And while it was a bit disappointing to get a third straight Fire/Fighting, taken on its own merits I can't hold that against the line.
>>
>>25482343
Yeah, I did that as soon as I closed this tab and felt like an idiot. I assumed it was some obscure and oblique connection. Whoops.

>>25482370
Right. Cool. Maybe I should read all of those stories. They appear in culture a lot. Are they any good?
>>
File: 1421170634171.jpg (311 KB, 665x800) Image search: [Google]
1421170634171.jpg
311 KB, 665x800
>>25482380
You were right the first time.
>>
>>25482160
>>25482183
>>25482185
>>25482365
>>25482374

Would Fire/Dark have been a better typing to go with? Pure Fire seems a little bland, and Dark seems like the only other type to make a lick of sense. Emboar doesn't convey 'Bad' to me, but neither does Greninja.
>>
I think none of the Gen 5 starters are bad design wise, but it sucks how they're so bad to use. Serperior improved with contrary though, and so far I've heard good things.
>>
>>25482415

Fire/Fighting is fine for Pignite and Emboar's designs. If it weren't for Blaziken and Infernape preceding it it wouldn't have been a problem. It was more the repetition, nothing bad about Emboar itself.
>>
>>25482415
nothing from emboar and pignite suggests dark typing. pignite even has leotard,
>>
Its typing is stale as fuck after three generations
>>
>>25482420

Serperior (non-Contrary) probably has the highest design-quality-to-usability ratio of any starter in the series. Top-tier design, barely useful even for in-game play.
>>
Tepig is cute. After that it looks like shit, because it has no neck. I honestly think it's one of the most hideous looking Pokemon because of that.
>>
File: wiuvna.png (510 KB, 1000x785) Image search: [Google]
wiuvna.png
510 KB, 1000x785
>>25482445
I understand that wholeheartedly, and really I worded my query in the worst possible way. It was more of a 'If they absolutely couldn't use Fire/Fighting' thought.

>>25482396
My pigga. Chesnaught's a close second with me though.
>>
>>25482475
Lots of Pokemon have no neck. Cartoony proportions are common.
>>
It needs either a lot more bulk/support moves, or to be faster AND stronger. Right now it's just kind of meh.
>>
>>25482415
Considering what >>25482233 said it probably should've been a Water type and maybe Water/Fighting

Rock or Ground seem a bit more likely, but any type changes might require a massive overhaul in design
>>
My expirence with emboar is purely from a competitive standpoint. I was in a 24 person draft league. we got to the point where any relevant ou, uu mons were taken, so I randomly chose Emboar. I always thought it was kinda ugly. Anyways, Emboar put in work for me that season, It was such a beast with the stab reckless flare blitz. I even ran a mixed Special/Physical set with Overheat hammer arm, grass knot, and something else. It was so good that it actually grew on me design wise too. I think the clouds on his stomach need to go.

OP I'm kind of confused, you say you have the same negative opinions on it, except for the design, but its a pretty damn good pokemon given its stats, ability, and moveset
>>
File: Sugimori_499.png (83 KB, 325x350) Image search: [Google]
Sugimori_499.png
83 KB, 325x350
>>25482484
yeah, but look at Pignite - it doesn't even have a head. Emboar has the same problem, but at least you can kinda make out a head.
>>
>>25482281
I initially thought it was because he was designed after a bigg Barrel, that may or may not be boiling.
>>
>>25482515

This is an entirely fair complaint. Nevertheless, I really like Pignite's design. Not sure why. It just works for me.
>>
>>25482515
Why is that a problem? Should Gengar have a neck too? These are Pokemon, not actual animals.
>>
File: image.jpg (41 KB, 945x531) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
41 KB, 945x531
>>25482515
My favorite Pokemon is Wobbuffet, so like, hating something for not being realistic isn't exactly my forte.

It looks cute. People usually draw pigs as not having a head because their bodies look like oval sausages. Like a piggy bank.
>>
>>25482515
Yeah I hated Pignite because of this. Looked like a fat fuck, but not in a good way.
>>
>>25482515
>Azumarill
>'uff family
>Gengar

It's not an unique issue.
>>
Are we all in agreement that Heat Crash is a pretty terrible move?
>>
Not sure how many people remember this, but back in the pre-Gen VI days when we'd go months between seeing a Pokemon and learning its English name, Pignite was one of the very few that the community guessed correctly before being revealed (actually it was associated with what would later become known to be Tepig, but close enough).

I kind of like that about this line. It means it was a good, fitting name.
>>
>>25482183
I always liked the sound of "Pignition"
>>
How does one guess english names from japanese ones. Aren't the Japanese names completly different puns most of the time?
>>
>>25482566
>Pignite was one of the very few that the community guessed correctly before being revealed (actually it was associated with what would later become known to be Tepig, but close enough).

Snivy was the other one, after Smugleaf, right? Was Oshawott's ever guessed?
>>
>>25482183
I never got that impression because Boars are really wild and powerful creatures
>>
>>25482596
>Smugleaf
Shoulda been the official name desu
>>
>when you switch emboar in on revenge and the opponent is scared and switches out and you get a free flare blitz

OHKO's like 90% of pokemon
>>
>>25482591
>See Pig who is the Fire type starter
>Guess at hammy Pig/Fire puns
>Guess right

There's not really a top secret formula at play here.
>>
>>25482596
Oshawott's name is too far out there for anyone to have guessed. People still debate over what the hell his name is supposed to mean.
>>
snivy >> tepig >>>>>>>>> oshawatt

Oshawatt is such a mismatched peice of shit.
>>
>>25482103
I kinda like him, but I hate the fact that he looks "bald" in comparison to Tepig and Pignite.
Also I hate his stats.
>>
My favorite fire starter and gen 5 starter

But fire and gen 5 starters are shit so that's not a big accomplishment
>>
>>25482622
I think he was named "Wotter" by the community if I remember correctly.
>>
How to fix Emboar, give it fire priority with recoil.
>>
File: (170 KB, 518x483) Image search: [Google]
170 KB, 518x483
>>25482622
It means you're pretty good
>>
>>25482596

Nobody ever guessed Snivy or anything in its line, I think, though I recall Serperior wasn't far off from some guesses. And nobody got even close to anything in the Oshawott line. I think there may have been some correct guesses on gym leaders, but that's it.

I correctly predicted Roxie before BW2, but nobody agreed.
>>
>>25482671
People did throw around Snivy as a possible name for the thing. It was one of the more popular "realistic" names for the thing.
>>
>>25482685

I don't remember that. Not saying you're wrong, I could absolutely be misremembering, but I recall people being pretty set on Smugleaf, and being surprised/disappointed at Snivy.
>>
>>25482103
>fire/fighting
>it's a fucking pig
>boring design, nothing special
>fire types are boring
>>
I hope we get another fire fighting, the mad would be delicious.
>>
>>25483111
Salt wouldn't be that bad considering how much of a failure Delphox
>>
>>25482946
>>fire types are boring
Shit taste

What's next, you gonna say bug types are boring.
>>
>>25482103
anybody have a HA Chespin or Tepig to spare?
>>
>>25482103
Remove golden swirlies and theyre an good design imo desu
>>
>>25482415
Pure Fire would have been consistent with the other starters, and their overall theme would have been to have pure types with diverse movepools

except they fucked up with Serperior
>>
File: emboar fix.png (50 KB, 247x249) Image search: [Google]
emboar fix.png
50 KB, 247x249
How do you fix emboar's design?
>>
>>25484416
Uh... nothing? It genuinely doesn't bother me. It isn't really over designed. I wish it wasn't fire/fighting, but Journey to the West or whatever.
Thread replies: 72
Thread images: 9

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.