[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Was there any justification for Fairy, or did it just happen?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /vp/ - Pokemon

Thread replies: 51
Thread images: 4
File: 250px-035Clefairy.png (62 KB, 250x250) Image search: [Google]
250px-035Clefairy.png
62 KB, 250x250
Was there any justification for Fairy, or did it just happen?
>>
File: bianca.jpg (269 KB, 883x1200) Image search: [Google]
bianca.jpg
269 KB, 883x1200
>>
Too many dragons.
>>
They said at E3 they wanted to make Dragons less powerful without directly nerfing the type itself.
>>
Fairy itself isint a bad concept just needed better implementation.

Fairy at the moment really just seems to mean pink and cute, which can be one element. But it should also focus on being about certain fairytails or magical creatures of myth or even just the concept of magic all together.

Im nearly positive that if GF hadn't been so set on making the dark fighting psychic weakness circle in gen 6, Delphox probably would of been a Fire/Fairy.

At least thats what I'de like to think.

As per the dragon nerf, while it works in certain ways, we really need more time for more fairies to come out, as well as more fairy moves before we can say for certain if it really did anything.
>>
>>25466217
then why not just magic type
>>
>>25466217
I meant like, was it "discovered" like Dark and Steel? Or did it just show up?
>>
>>25466245
In-game Dexio and Sina say it's "newly discovered"
>>
>>25466245
Ahhh. Couldnt tell ya buddy. Probably just added into the lore since 1st gen mons are fairy's as well.
>>25466231
They probably should of gone with just magic, but then maybe fairy just gave that wider option of adding cute and pink stuff. GF is a very strange company man, I dont think they think all their choices out all the time.
>>
GF thought creating a new anti-Dragon type is better from marketing standpoint than giving an appropriate resistance to underpowered types, like Ice or Grass.
>>
Was there any justification for Dragon, or did it just happen?
>>
>>25466324
a new type based RPG needed a token "best" type
>>
>>25466365
then what are Gen 1 Psychics?
>>
>>25466217
>Fairy at the moment really just seems to mean pink and cute
The majority of the moves are magical in nature and have nothing to do with acting "cutsey", and the only mon that has literally no reason to be Fairy-type is Dedenne. As for the "pink" part, not counting Megas, twenty-one of thirty-five Fairy-type Pokémon aren't pink, and twenty-seven of forty-one pink Pokémon aren't even Fairy-type (yes, I checked for both of these). What you just said there is eerily similar to saying
>water is just the blue type
>fire is just the orange type
>ground is just the brown type
>steel is just the gray type
>electric is just the yellow type
And so forth.
>>
>>25466393
Hence the quotes. Dragons was on purpose. I think.
>>
>>25466141
What has no justification is Fairy being suppereffective on Fighting. Dark I can understand, but FUCKING FIGHTING WHY?
>>
>>25466872
Fighting type represent men and masculinity.
They need to check their privilege to be honest.
>>
>>25466141
GF wanted Gardevoir, Lucario, Charizard and Blaziken to outshine others again
>>
>>25466141

Fairy was always an egg group. It basically does the job of "cosmic" and "magic" type, without flooding the type chart.
>>
>>25466872
I have you ever tried to beat up a magic caster/magical entity without getting fucked in the end?
>>
>>25466872

Because magic > humans. But humans with tools > magic. Hence steel weakness.
>>
>>25467033
I also like to think that fairy type represents nature and life, whereas steel represents industry and machinery, destroying nature
>>
>>25466245
>>25466256
Huh....I thought Xerneas was the cause of it...I should have gotten X
>>
>>25466231
Same reason it's not Metal Type. It's a gay name. I appreciate the irony in that.
>>
>>25467021

magic users tend to have crappy physical defense in a lot of media.
>>
File: maxresdefault.jpg (85 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
85 KB, 1280x720
>>25466324
There is a powerful and invisible energy called the Dragon Force that surges throughout the Pokémon World.

Apparently.
>>
>>25467071
No one's talking about stories nerd
>>
>>25467086

yes, because magic is real.
>>
>>25466217
>Fairy at the moment really just seems to mean pink and cute,

But I like pink and cute.
>>
>>25467079
gen 7 Speed type confirmed.
>>
I always thought there was a weird disconnect between esoteric and weird Normal type Pokémon like Clefairy or Togekiss compared to others like Furret or Tauros, so Fairy helped bridge that gap for me

Some of the other choices that have been made with the type are a bit questionable like Granbull or Mega Altaria as instead of a type that describes literal mythological fairies or cosmic weirdness it can be used as a catch-all for anything a bit cute
>>
>>25467109
Snubbull and Granbull have been "fairy pokemon" since their introduction, so it makes sense. Mega Altaria is another story.
>>
>>25466217
>>25466276
>should of

Get it together, anon. Fair points otherwise.
>>
>>25467109
>it can be used as a catch-all for anything a bit cute
>implying the other types aren't the least bit cute
>implying the other types are in any way ugly
You just have shit taste is all.
>>
>>25466158
I'd pinch those cheeks
>>
>>25467021
Sure, just yesterday I completely rekt a warlock and even finished him with the muscle spark.
>>
>>25466312
Ice needs to remove its Fighting weakness and resist some types outside of Dragon like Water or something. Fairy is completely irrelevant to the suckitude of Ice and people don't seem to realize and only say "muh Dragons" as an excuse
>>
>>25468538
But Ice doesn't even resist dragon.
>>
>>25468550
A lot of Dragon moves are based around fiery designs and other types of magic, I don't see a reason for Ice TO resist those moves. I barely see a reason for Ice to be Super Effective against Dragon other than Dragon being a last-minute addition to R/G, which explains the lack of mons, moves, balance or the fact Dragonite was the last Pokemon in the Dex that wasn't a Mew

Ice needs a rebalance in general that isn't just solely related to being rekindled as "Dragon Killers"
>>
They should have just buffed ice types instead. I still use ice to take care of dragons, mostly because I forget that's what fairy us for now.
>>
>>25468577
>I barely see a reason for Ice to be Super Effective against Dragon

Reptiles are cold-blooded and weakened by cold.
>>
File: Gamefreak.jpg (16 KB, 651x500) Image search: [Google]
Gamefreak.jpg
16 KB, 651x500
>>25466141
Ask Gamefreak.
>>
>>25468727
As I said here: >>25468577
Buffing Ice isn't something that is immediately going to detriment Dragon. Ice needs a buff on its own just to be viable at all

>>25468768
I suppose that makes sense. In terms of adding resistances I'd say Normal, Flying, Water or Bug make the best bets
>>
>>25468577
>>25468768
Also in Chinese myth dragons can be imprisoned in ice, because it drains their strength.
>>
Male fairy pokemon are silly sissies
>>
>>25466276
>They probably should of gone with just magic, but then maybe fairy just gave that wider option of adding cute and pink stuff.
Fairy is Magic + Light. They could have added both, but Fairy offers a broader range, so it does both.
>>
>>25466141
Because Moon = Fairy. Moonblast and Moonlight are Fairy Type moves, so it makes sense for them.

Mascot for Pokemon Moon will likely be Fairy Type for this reason.
>>
>>25468538
>Ice needs to remove its Fighting weakness

stopped reading there.
>>
>>25468577
>dragonite was the last pokemon in the dex that wasn't a mew
>what is mewtwo
>>
>>25469074
>Mewtwo isn't a clone of Mew

I said A Mew, not Mew
>>
They wanted to make Dragon less powerful. However, it probably could've been done in a better way.

In the first four gens, 6 of the 12 dragons were 4x weak to ice. In gen 5 though, none have a quad ice weakness. So I think the 6 dragons in Gen 5 are mostly to blame for Fairy typing, given that all of them are mon-type or part Dark/Fire/Electric/Ice.

Compared to the number of ground/rock types (15%), 50% of dragons are 4x weak pre-Gen 5. There are also no really powerful Dragon-type moves outside of Outrage and Draco Meteor, which either locks you into it and confuses you or drops your Sp. Atk harshly.

And keep in mind that dragon only hits itself for SE damage. All in all, Dragon got the short end of the stick.
Thread replies: 51
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.