[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What made BW the best first pair in the series?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /vp/ - Pokemon

Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 6
File: blackbox.jpg (14 KB, 202x181) Image search: [Google]
blackbox.jpg
14 KB, 202x181
>>
>>25462318
>not gold/silver
gamefreak worked their asses so hard on it they had enough time to throw in an entire extra region
>>
>>25462318
All new pokemon
>>
>>25462367
80% were shit.
>>
>>25462384
All new pokemon
>>
>>25462384
They weren't, but cool opinions bro.
>>
>>25462396
>>
>>25462424
What, you don't like him? He's even got your name within his.
>>
File: 463456745.png (42 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
463456745.png
42 KB, 500x500
>>25462318
>>
it kinda felt like gen1 but new and cooler on some points
it also showed that pokemon can get rebooted and people will like it
>>
>>25462492
>reboot
top kek
>>
>>25462318
By not being the system debut titles.
>>
>>25462339
G/S is so overrated. Game Freak might have pulled in Iwata to save the project and then found out that Iwata was a programming superhuman who could get a castrated Kanto onto a cartridge with Johto, but aside from the novelty of being able to go back to see who's still hanging around Kanto and the fact that Silver remains the best rival in the main series by far, there's just so little there worth caring about until Crystal.

B/W was saved by being the opposite of G/S and X/Y, or like R/S with a better-designed (if technically blander) setting. Where the Johto and Kalos games tried their hardest to focus on the old, with acceptable but mediocre results in G/S, great results in HG/SS, and shitty results in X/Y, the Hoenn and first pair of Unova games focused heavily on pushing forward. Game Freak pushed forward so far in B/W that it really did feel like the first new Pokemon experience in a long time.

There is no putting the band back together in B/W, which is a massive break from earlier games. Instead, you're meeting new teammates, getting to know the ups and downs of things like Bisharp, Braviary, Excadrill, Chandelure, Golurk, Darmanitan, and Scrafty. This in itself changes the Pokemon experience massively. The greater focus on storyline and characterization helps, too, to make it feel different and refreshing compared to the rest of the series. Even the unique leveling system, while definitely one of the more potentially controversial differences, changes the experience enough that you know you're not just replaying Red or Blue with better graphics, a feeling that didn't even really happen in Hoenn and only managed to happen in Platinum during the Distortion World segment.

>>25462384
Every generation can be called 80% shit by someone who doesn't care for the generation. But the highlights in the Unova Pokedex are really high in my opinion, much higher than the highlights in pretty much any other generation.
>>
>>25462318
It was shite.
>>
I really liked that BW had a story that was more fleshed out but still plain enough to be comfortably Pokemon-y. I also felt like the world was very interesting--DPPt had neat ideas but was executed sort of poorly, and it felt like BW was closer to GS and RSE in terms of interesting and fun routes locations.
>>
>>25463021
Odd number generations usually focus on feeling like a new beginning, while the even number ones tend to be full of throwbacks (Revisiting Kanto, Kalos being full of old Pokemon, DPP's Pokedex mostly consisting of evolutions of older Pokemon). I really don't mind that they alternate the two, to be honest.
>>
>>25463086
The thing about even generations is that they do tend to have gameplay advancements, like the two new types in G/S, the Physical/Special split in D/P, and the Fairy type and introduction of Mega Evolutions in X/Y, but they're not as visibly important outside of competitive circles in that first generation. It takes more generations to introduce new Pokemon to make the new types equal to the old ones, or to really play into a new gimmick. Maybe the Steel and Dark-types were more visible back in the G/S days than Fairy was in X/Y, if just because of the smaller sizes of the Pokedexes, but they were still "the new types" with less impact than older ones.

But yeah, that does kinda give me hope for S/M.
>>
>>25462318
Because all the other first pairs were dogshit. Emerald, Platinum, HG/S'S and Black 2/White 2 were all miles better than Black/White.
>>
File: Put_It_Down.jpg (16 KB, 500x291) Image search: [Google]
Put_It_Down.jpg
16 KB, 500x291
>>25465512
>Emerald, Platinum, HG/S'S and Black 2/White 2 were all miles better than Black/White
Emerald wasn't developed enough to be better than anything later than Platinum. Platinum was great for the first 80%, but then it had that stupidly massive forced grind after the Distortion World, before the Elite Four, and before Game Freak discovered ways to make grinding semi-tolerable. HG/SS is great too, but it didn't have much to work with; the only top-tier remakes are OR/AS. B2/W2 was the only one you mentioned that even comes close, but even then it loses a lot of what makes B/W special within the Pokemon series.
>>
>>25462318
I'm not sure, I only got through about 50% of the game before putting it down permanently. After having 6 badges I had only come across two, maybe three pokemon that looked half decent.
>>
>>25462318
First Pokemon game with a decent story and lots of cool Pokemon.

Of course, its subjective. A lot of people think otherwise, but to me B/W really were the best 1st pair in the series. I even like it better then B2/W2, just for the story.

Team Plasma interrupting the Elite Four stuff was great
>>
File: 1456882326673.gif (4 MB, 864x648) Image search: [Google]
1456882326673.gif
4 MB, 864x648
>>25462318
It had most of my favorite designs in it, so it's my favorite gen.
>>
>>25462339
GS was garbage though. Johto in general was saved by dual region. Johto itself sucked major balls.
>>
>>25462339
except it was Iwata who threw in Kanto
>>
>>25462367
Probably this. I really like FRLG but they're just so outdated compared to BW. Having new locations for every new pokemon instead of just putting zubats in every cave feels great. Though that might not be the best example. Having 600+ pokemon in a single game really devaluates the experience of having to go get pokemon in the region they originate
>>
>>25462424
>he doesn't like cofagrigus
>>
Because they came late in the DS's lifespan, at a point where they'd already mastered the hardware, and all they had to do was improve on the gameplay and story until perfection.

Also best music
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i2rcrJuuAws
>>
>>25462318

Gamefreak still cared back then.
>>
>>25467635
This.
It's also why I have high hopes for Sun/Moon.
>>
>>25462318
It was gamefreak's goodbye to 2D
>>
I like the box Legendaries and their signature moves. I wished their shiny colours were opposites of each other.
>>
>>25466397
great picture
>>
>>25468013
GF have barely mastered the 3DS. After all they're still making models with an absurd poly count.
>>
>>25462318
fanfictions and forced memes made it possible
Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.