[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Sound Type Idea
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /vp/ - Pokemon

Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 2
File: Sound Type chart.png (577 KB, 800x2000) Image search: [Google]
Sound Type chart.png
577 KB, 800x2000
I know people have talked about Sound type in the past, but I really think it should be a type, seeing how many sound based moves and Pokemon we already have.
Sound is weak to Ice because using sound on a snowy surface creates an avalanche, which attacks the sound maker, and weak against ground because you can't hear someone buried under 6 feet of dirt.
Sound is resisted by Steel because it absorbs and channels sound, Ground muffles it, Flying because wind can muffle and distort sounds and Sound types are used to their own loud noises already.
Sound resists Psychic because noise and songs have often been used to counteract psychic influence, Dark because when moving in the darkness, any sound betrays you, and again, itself.
Sound is strong against Rock because sound can be used to destroy stones (such as kidney stones) using resonance, Psychic because loud noises ruin concentration, Water because it's well known tapping on the glass creates hurtful noise, and water amplifies sound well, and Fighting because sound can be used to disorient and paralyze people, which can stop Fighting types dead in their tracks.
As for the Pokemon, Jigglypuff line is famous for it's singing and sound based attacks, Exploud because Exploud, Chimecho because Chimes are sound making devices, Chatot because you know why, Meloetta because songs are sound, Audino because it's also sound based, Politoed because a large part of it's gimmick is it's croaks and the songs it can make, Pyroar because it's based around it's roars.
Noivern I'm not sure because to be, it makes sense for it to be Sound/Flying because I don't see this thing as a dragon, but the idea of a Sound/Dragon type seems too good, but that would remove it's flying type and immunity to ground despite it's wings..

Moves, I gave Sound type a physical move, a priority move and a special flinching move plus the Intimidation ability in move form.

Thoughts? Or did I just waste my time?
>>
nice copypasta.
>>
>>25458972
will never happen :)
>>
Personally, I'm all for a Sound-type. I was hoping for Sound and Light-type until Fairy-type was revealed. I don't mind Fairy-type, but I think it should have been named Light-type.
>>
>>25458991
I know, it's just a nice little "What if?"
>>
>>25458972
>shits on psychic and fighting types

The fuck are you doing
>>
>>25459052
This.

Seriously OP you're a fucking faggot.
>>
Sound is much better as an added qualifier like contact, it makes certain moves more interesting without limiting it to one type

Also it would fuck Normal special attackers out of a bunch of moves
>>
>>25459052
I put more thought into "What kind of weaknesses makes sense for sound" than competitive balance. You know, like Gamefreak does!

Other wise it would be strong against Steel, Flying and Water and weak against Ice, Grass, and Bug.

>>25459084

>Implying this is meant to be a "fix it" type

Oh well, I got called a faggot in 4chan so I guess this thread is successful
>>
>>25458972
Roggenrola line can be rock/sound
Tympole line can be water/sound
Kricketune line is bug/sound
If you want to extend sound to cover music/dance concepts the you could argue for Lilligant and Spinda.
New Radio form for Rotom would be fun. Electric/Sound obviously.
>>
>>25459193
Roggenrola doesn't really have any sound moves, just an ear
Is the Tympole line sound based? I never touched them and I legit keep forgetting Kricketune exists.
Song = Sound yes but Dance is it's own thing, keep that Spinda abomination away from my type
>>
>>25458972
I love the idea of sound type, it fits a lot of pokemon we already have and, it gives normal type more idenity, like fairy did in gen 6.
>>
>>25459221
Tympole line does stuff with vibrations. Pokedex has Tympole specifically using sound.

Roggenrola is loose as fuck but it is designed to resemble a speaker and there's lots of Dex chat about stored energy that could be semi-retconned to be 'unleashed as sound' or whatever.

I think including certain dance themed mons works. I'm thinking of the ability Own Tempo which sort of implies a connection to sound. It would make Spinda and Lilligant more interesting, give Sound some more mons and add a new type combo with grass/sound.
>>
Sound works better as a pseudo-type with special effects now fuck off
>>
File: Sound Type chart2.png (674 KB, 800x2201) Image search: [Google]
Sound Type chart2.png
674 KB, 800x2201
>>25459283
Well, when Fairy was added, 22 previous pokemon changed types, so far I have 20 counting Kricketune. Seismitoad is already duel typed, meybe it could be one of those pokemon that learns a lot of another types moves, giving it the advantage of Sound types offensive strengths without it's defensive weaknesses.

Roggenrola is a bit sound based but it's evolutions aren't

Added Kricketune though
>>
>>25459356
I wouldn't count alternate forms or megas, so Fairy only really had 20.

You've got 18. So add Spinda and Lilligant and you're done.

Since when have Pokemon types made a tonne of sense anyway.
>>
>>25458972

The concept is sound[\spoiler], but the specifics need work.
>>
My biggest issue is that every other type has plausible special AND physical moves. I can't think of any reasonable physical moves for a Sound type, maybe a sonicboom rush or something but that's a real stretch.
As much as it pains me to admit it, a light or space type does make more sense considering the physical/special split.
>>
>>25459497
You can imbue sound into physical moves via vibration attacks. Psychic has no reason to have physical moves either but look at that
>>
>>25459522
Didn't think of that anon, good point
>>
>>25458972
I think it's cool.
>>
>>25458972
holy fuck that's stupid
>>
>>25458972
Normal encompasses sound.

Normal type is made up of normal things.
Sound isn't super effective against anything, but it isn't resisted by anything. Ghosts are immune to sound because incorpreal.
>>
>>25459578
no, you don't
>>
>>25459625
Forgot to add "except rock and steel, obviously." after the resistant thing.
>>
>>25459625
>Ghost immune because incorpreal
Wouldn't that extend to everything then?
>>
>>25459675
If it wouldn't be incredibly unbalanced Ghosts would probably be immune to all physical attacks.
>>
>>25459682
So that means Sound hits Ghosts then (they can hear I mean)
>>
>>25459100
>I put more thought into "What kind of weaknesses makes sense for sound" than competitive balance. You know, like Gamefreak does!
Except Gamefreak adjusts and adds types STRICTLY for balancing reasons.

Dark was introduced to counter to Psychic, which was OP in Gen 1
Steel was introduced to counter Psychic (OP), Normal (second most OP) and Poison (most numerous typing and usually combined with a second type that removed its weaknesses, and the typical type of Wrap/Toxic mons), in general to provide a defensive typing
Fairy was introduced to counter Dragon, which was absurdly OP for three gens

You're proposing a type that
>gives Steel ANOTHER resistance
>makes Psychic even more irrelevant
>makes Rock even more vulnerable
>piles on another weakness for Fighting, which was just rebalanced by the Fairy addition, same with Dark

Also, your motivations for the strengths/weaknesses are completely arbitrary. Sound could just as easily be SE against ice, the resonance thing applies to several types, Sound could be weak to Dark for the exact reason you said: Sound gives you away. They're worthless without real gameplay purpose, they were only used when they made the original type chart.
>>
Since XY (and hopefully S&M) mirror RBY/GS, which introduced two types, there's still hope for a Fairy counterpart.

What would be even better is if it came to fix the mess Fairy type did, because it completely screwed Psychic, Bug and Ice, types that desperately needed a buff.

I think this would achieve a nice balance:
Super effective against Fairy, Ghost, Steel
Not very effective against Psych, Bug, Ice
Weak against Psychic, Bug, Grass
Resistant to Fairy, Steel

One would probably need to make bull excuses as to why those, but I think that balances everything a lot.
>>
>>25460250
Most type weaknesses and strengths revolve around some sort of real world logic rather than purely balance, which is what I meant.
>>
>>25460374
You're wrong. That sort of logic is only used to justify afterwards, and to preclude completely absurd type relationships. The type chart revolves around balance. "Real world logic" was only the primary motivation in the original games, when they based it largely on natural and archetypical because you have start somewhere.

It doesn't work after that, because what they did was pick motivations out of a hat and stick to them. Logic goes farther than that. Grass could be weak to Electric because lightning strikes destroy trees and start forest fires. It's all arbitrary and secondary to gameplay, which is why type chart changes in each game.

Here's a balanced Sound type, with added bullshit justifications

SE against Water (sound travels faster underwater)
SE against Steel (resonance)
SE against Ghost (ghosts are often driven out by chanting, and tend to haunt quiet environments)
Resists Fairy (in mythology, fairies are often creatures of music and enchantment)
Resisted by Psychic (the superior concentration of Psychic-type can shut out/ignore interferences like sound)
Resisted by Ice (basically no resonance)
Weak to Psychic (Sound attacks the senses, psychics have full control of their senses)
Weak to Ice
Weak to Dark (aforementioned reason)
>>
I don't see pokemon being sound type but what if they just made sound type moves? But certain pokemon like exploud still get stab from it
>>
>>25460896
>I don't see Pokemon being sound type, but what if they were sound type?
>>
Bump for fun.
>>
>Soundproof
>Every sound based move except for bug buzz, grass whistle, metal sound, and parting shot becoming sound type moves
>Having intimidating roar be a thing when it could just be a buff to noble roar
Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.