[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
So, with Sun and Moon coming out this year and i was just curious
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /vp/ - Pokemon

Thread replies: 52
Thread images: 5
File: 1390270483189.jpg (358 KB, 1140x660) Image search: [Google]
1390270483189.jpg
358 KB, 1140x660
So, with Sun and Moon coming out this year and i was just curious IS there a definitive trend to the starters. If so what is it?
The most common being Fire starters are from the Chinese zodiac and Water starters are animals that are amphibious. What exactly is the grass tho?
>>
>>25457737
They were reptiles until Chespin fucked it up.
>>
File: BUBS.gif (812 KB, 400x300) Image search: [Google]
BUBS.gif
812 KB, 400x300
>>25457737
Water types are fish things
Fire types can be cooked and eaten if you cook them with fire
Grass types are absolute assholes
>>
Fuck you and your patterns
Water starters "amphibious" cause getting a fish as a gift from a professor on the land in somewhere fucking citadel in the woods would be utter byllshit.
Fire types are forced coincidence.
Cyndaquil is as much a mouse as chespin is, and if dog=fennec then every fucking Pokemon fits in the Chinese calendar

Just drop this already
>>
The zodiac thing is complete bullshit, though.
>>
Any time people figure out a pattern gamefreak hears about it and decides to change things up
>>
>>25457782
Well i never said they were right i said common as in the most talked about. But are you honestly trying to tell me there in no pattern what so ever to starter pokemon? if so then sure but i just asked because i was curious of what other people thought about the patterns.
>>
Zodiac, right. Lizard, edchidna, chicken, monkey, pig, and fox. I hope the next is a bat or something just to throw the generalizations off.
>>
>>25457874
If the zodiac idiots count foxes as dogs, they'll probably count bats as roosters, cats as tigers etc. They are that delusional.
>>
>>25457909
Its not really Zodiac idiots tho, while it is a stretch a fox is in the same Family as a dog being a Canidae... but i mean like i said id like to hear other theory's on what the trend could be or does everyone on /vp/ think its all just a coincidence and there isn't a pattern
>>
>>25458091
>theory's

Youust be 18 or older to post on 4chan.
>>
>>25458126
*you must

What the hell, autocorrect.
>>
>>25458091
Foxes are not dogs.
>>
>>25457782
Fox is a canid
Cyn 's entry literally says mouse.
>>
>>25458137
Nice rebuttal ;D
>>
>>25457737

I want one of the starters to be an invertebrate this time around.
>>
>>25458091
I think this fire starter will be a kangaroo (rabbit) or actually a motorcycle.
>>
>>25457737
Dunno about the not evolved ones but:

Kalos ones were almost an DnD cast, Chestnaught being warrior, Delphox a mage and Greninja a thief.

Unova are supposedly based off of countries, but its a bit of a stretch. Serperior for France, Emboar for China and Samurott for Japan.
>>
File: 1431908329114.jpg (186 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
1431908329114.jpg
186 KB, 500x500
>>25457749
Based Chespin, saving grass starters.
>>
>>25458159
I'm >>25458126, though. I was correcting myself.
>>
>>25458126
>Youust

You must be 18 or older to post here kid.
>>
>>25458155
See, this is the shit I meant. Foxes are canids, cats are basically tigers, lemurs are basically monkeys, etc. It will never die.
>>
Patternfriends believe that the grass starters work their way through pre historical time periods. They represent eras like the Jurassic period, etc. and we have moved up to a time where early mammals took over. Hence Chespin being the first non reptile

I'm neutral on the pattern thing. I don't care either way. That's just one theory I've seen places, including this board.
>>
>>25458193
>saving grass starters
Go away.
>>
>>25458196
See >>25458137
>>
>>25458214
Lemur Pokemon when?
>>
So with the exception of Mudkips/Axolotls, water starters tend to be aquatic animals that don't have gills. Are there any sort of aquatic animals that don't have gills which are also not already Pokemon? The only one that comes to mind immediately are dolphins. We have the Wailmer line for whales, a number of lines for crabs. Maybe they'll more on to aquatic dinosaurs for them next. I think that would be pretty neat.
>>
Water starter = most balanced
Fire starter = edgiest
Grass starter = I like weak and aesthetically unpleasing things
>>
>Expectations vs Generation 7

>Muh prehistoric animal
Fuckyou take a cyber-ape
>Muh Chinese Zodiac
Fuckyou take a cowboy armadillo
>Muh amphibian creature
Fuckfuckfuck U!!! take a flying dolphin
>>
>>25457737
The theme is that they are all green
>>
>>25458296
kyogre is an orca which is a dolphin.
>>
>>25457765
grassholes
>>
>>25458853
That's true, he wasn't in my mind when I made that post. And we also have the Tentacool and Frillish lines for jellyfish.
>>
>>25458214
What will shut you hereticfags up then? It's a pokemon, if it were a fucking dog on fire you'd bitch about the lack of imagination and how their designs are scraping the barrel.
>>
who
>water
here?

I always pick water on my first playthrough of a game because it's literally always best
>>
>>25458853
Orca (killer whale) is a whale not a dolphin
>>
>>25458193
More like ruined a perfectly good theme. Fuck Shitnaught and fuck its shitty pre-evos and fuck their tasteless fans for letting GF get away with this shit.
>>
>>25458296
You realize that we can have starters based on animals that already have representation right?
>>
>>25459035
Killer whales arent whales. Thier actual name means whale killers.
>>
>>25459035
>I am retarded!: the post
>>
>>25457737
I've seen, long time ago, a fanart where the water one was an unicorn
(someone have the art? Can't found it)
>>
>>25459165
I never said we couldn't, I was just wondering what was left.
>>
I thought Grass was either prehistoric, or based on evolution ( like, actual real world evolution )

Bulbasaur is a dinosaur with a blooming flower on it's back
Chicorita is a dinosaur that evolved a longer neck
Treeko is just a dinosaur I guess?
Turtwig is a turtle that evolved into a plated dinosaur
Snivy was the ancestor of what would eventually lose the need for limbs and become a snake
>Chespin was one of the first mammals that evolved armor like plates

Water starters are still amphibians, but I think if the zodiac thing was intentional, Fennekin broke the pattern.
>>
>>25459035
>https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Killer_whale
>Family: Delphinidae
>Delphinidae redirects to: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oceanic_dolphin

The name "Killer Whale" is a misnomer.
>>
>>25457737
I don't think there's any REAL relationship, other than the fact that they're all starters. And a fish for a water starter wouldn't really work as your first pokemon, would it?
>>
>>25457737
I didn't know echidnas/porcupines were in the Chinese zodiac
>>
>>25459035
>>25460206
Orcas are dolphins, yes, as they are part of the Delphinidae family. Interestingly, however, dolphins are whales - they are part of the "toothed whale" subclass.
>>
File: tumblr_n230xlkARH1t5063oo1_250.jpg (40 KB, 250x333) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_n230xlkARH1t5063oo1_250.jpg
40 KB, 250x333
>>25458155
Just because they are related doesn't mean they are the same animal or even based off each other when it comes to pokemon design. Even when domesticated foxes look very similar to dogs, they don't behave anything close to a dog's behavior. A fox is not a dog.
>>
>>25457765
>cooked monkey
>cooked dragon
>cooked mouse/badger/echidna or whatever cyndaquil is
>>
>>25458296
>tfw we get a loch ness starter
I'd be okay with this.
>>
>>25457737
its interesting how every gen so far has had exactly one quadruped starter.

bulbasaur--chikorita--mudkip--turtwig--tepig--fennekin

so that's a trend
>>
File: Grassy.png (430 KB, 1140x659) Image search: [Google]
Grassy.png
430 KB, 1140x659
>>25457737
Anyone else notice the "grass" part of the grass starters changes locations?
Back, top, back, top, back, top.
Thread replies: 52
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.