[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
At what point do remakes stop? We're almost ten years on
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /vp/ - Pokemon

Thread replies: 78
Thread images: 5
File: ZoTk1UD.jpg (64 KB, 500x282) Image search: [Google]
ZoTk1UD.jpg
64 KB, 500x282
At what point do remakes stop? We're almost ten years on from Diamond and Pearl, are they candidates for remaking, or are they still too "new" in terms of graphics and features? At what point does a Pokemon gen, despite its age, resemble the current gen enough not to warrant a remake?

What about Gen 1? The remakes of Red and Green are even older than Gen 4. So do we remake Gen 4 or do we remake Gen 1 again? Or do we only remake a gen one time?
>>
>>25453534
I sincerly hope ORAS was the last one
>>
I want them to stop doing them altogether and just put them on VC from now on. Remakes are trash, ESPECIALLY ORAS, and I hate this "everything must get a remake" mentality people have. Just fucking play the old game and ask for something new instead.
>>
>>25453563
Just curious since Gen3 is my favorite gen and I just finished beating the elite 4 in OR; what didn't you like about ORAS? Not to say I thought it was perfect, a few things stood out to me, but I'd like to hear
>>
The first 3 gens really needed remakes because they were around before they stopped seperating physical and special by typing. So Gen 1 needs another remake then they can stop.
>>
When they stop making money. ORAS already sold on par with, or better than HGSS, so they aren't stopping anytime soon.
>>
Since we're talking Gens in here how are X and Y? I haven't been keeping up with Pokemon as much and I never played B&W2 or XY. Wanting to know if they're both worth getting before Sun and Moon come out
>>
>>25453563
>>25453563
ORAS is literally the best thing that could have happened to the original Gen 3 games, which were complete garbage. ORAS is not perfect, the water routes are still boring, but at least the graphics and sound aren't raping my eyes and ears anymore, and the grind- and slogfest part of said game is removed completely. Heck, they even managed to make an objectively shit story an objectively okayish-to-good story.
>>
>>25453563
>Remakes are trash
Speak for your fucking self. HG/SS are the best in the franchise.
>>
>>25453534
I've been thinking about this too. I think the original reason for remakes if for compatibility sake. This applies to both FRLG and HGSS. ORAS kind of screws up that way of thinking because you can migrate up from RSE. But you can't play the games directly on the 3DS like you could with FRLG on the DS. So maybe a remake was deserved for them too.

And with the release if RBY for virtual console on 3DS that elimates the chance of Kanto stealing the show from Sinnoh.
But DPPt are playable on 3DS and New 3DS right?

I think it'll wait until old DS games aren't able to be played on the current handheld. Like ORAS.
>>
>>25453575
Casualized as shit (free Lati@s, underleveled gym leaders) and the post game is fucking worse than Emerald. No BF especially is what I find unacceptable. Either make it objectively better than the originals in every single way or don't do it at all.

>>25453594
I don't give a shit about the graphics and sound. I care about the gameplay.
>>
I figured Fire Red/Leaf Green, & HG/SS got remakes because it wasn't possible to transfer Pokemon from gens 1 & 2 over to current games. (Something about the engine?)

Then OR/AS happened which left me slow blinking like uhh. Oh? Okay.

Ruby/Sapphire were already great games, I didn't understand why a remake would have been necessary. Couldn't you technically just buy a copy & slap it in to a DS Lite/GBA and play it that way?

I mean, I'm glad that OR/AS exists because it is pretty freaking gorgeous, and that Delta story thing was super meta and I eat that shizz up like nobody's business. But I don't know.

I feel like half of the Main Series games will be dedicated to remakes, now.

Also I do think that D/P/P is probably old enough for a remake now, just because we haven't seen what Sinnoh could look like in 3D. I imagine it'd be lovely, but it is a slog to navigate in.
>>
>>25453600
>Either make it objectively better
>objectively better
>objectively

Opinions are subjective? How could one make something "objectively" better?
>>
>>25453534
Remakes are never gonna stop because they're easy money.

There are so many babies on tumblr that seriously thought they were gonna announce gen 4 remakes when they announced sm.
>>
>>25453635
By not removing optional content that was in the original game.
>>
>>25453600
>No BF

The fate of every GRILL playing Pokemans
>>
>>25453563
I just want a good Sinnoh, Platinum is still bogged down by the terrible map / menu design and engine issues
>>
Sinnoh in the Gen VI artstyle (assuming Gen VII's isn't too different) would make Sinnoh lose it's comfiness
>>
I don't see a sinnoh remake until the next handheld console is out. DS games are playable on 3DS. GBA games are not. Another Kanto remake is more likely imo.
>>
File: facebook frog.png (139 KB, 917x871) Image search: [Google]
facebook frog.png
139 KB, 917x871
>>25453534
Diamond and Pearl remakes have the potential to be Platinum-level amazing, but if they are just going to pull ORAS quality stuff from now on I'd rather they didn't bother.
>>
Honestly, I wouldn't mind a FRLG remake so that the Gen 1 games can finally have a Phys/Spec split. They'd have to enhance it in many ways to make it worthwhile though.

Maybe add a more indepth story built around the framework that already exists, more optional content, a richer Sevii Islands experience etc etc.

And despite being a remake of Gen 1 if you could get at least a handful of Gen II-onwards pokes to enrich the diversity in any given area, that'd be nice.
>>
>>25453719
Is there a way to retroactively patch reusable TM's and new pokemon into old DS games? I'd rather they just do that to Platinum.

>Gamefreak considers that moving to 3D would ruin comfiness
>Does a 2D game with "improved DS graphics"
>It's the fucking BW style

Would kill myself
>>
>>25453758
But anon, Black and White are objectively the best Pokemon games.
>>
The remakes are the only good games from this shitty series
>>
Assuming S/M are Gen 7, I think remaking DP would be too soon, since it seems they are using the same engine as XY/ORAS.
>>
From a marketing standpoint, I am fairly confident that there is no longer a reason for them to do remakes.

I actually have some own speculation that they never even intended to do OR/AS, but I'll save it for another post.

You also have to consider that every single Gen is currently playable in some fashion, and then able to send the Pokemon over to the newest Gen. (Genwun on Virtual Console, HG/SS, and OR/AS make up Gens 1-3)

If they ever plan on going back to previous Gens, it'll just be via Virtual Console releases. I'm fairly confident on this.
>>
>>25453798
All that matters are sales
>>
>>25453792
>since it seems they are using the same engine as XY/ORAS.

Where are you getting this from? No information about the games are known.
>>
>>25453693
And you think remakes will fix that? Hell, some of the ORAS maps are fucking WORSE than the originals. Granite Cave cuts you off from getting more wild Pokemon for some reason, Sky Pillar got shafted, and everything is still square and blocky like it belongs in a 2D game. On top of that there are gates where there originally weren't in the originals, and the battles can barely even keep 30fps while RSE had 60 fps.
>>
>>25453805
Well, it's still on the 3DS, and XY/ORAS seemed to already more or less reach the max of what the system can do. Then again, I could be wrong.
>>
>>25453806
They did all that to support the delta episode.

They had to make Sky Pillar work for the story and redesign it to have murals to add to the lore.

They needed to redesign Granite Cave to support murals as well. Steven's room had to be in that exact position so everyone could see the murals.
>>
Kanto needs a PSS. And not shitty Gen II Kanto
>>
>>25453825
They could've redesigned them better then, especially Granite Cave.
Instead of replacing most of the cave with muh murals, add the murals as they are now, but also include a new section that's reminiscent of the originals.
>>
To be honest, after ORAS and putting a lot of thought into it, despite Platinum being my favorite game and Gen IV being my favorite Generation, I think I'd be completely happy for them to not remake those games and instead do a remake for Gen 1 again.

I think that bringing new life into Gen 1 again, bringing it into a 3D world, Giving Kanto more life, giving the characters more character and personality would be much more interesting then them bringing an already great looking game with decent characters into this new 3D world.
>>
>>25453586
x/y are really really short and easy
>>
They make a remake two consoles after the original games
>RBGY on GB
>GBC
>Remake on GBA

>GSC on GBC
>GBA
>Remake on DS

>RSE on GBA
>DS
>Remake on 3DS

>DPPt on DS
>3DS
>Remake on 4DS
>>
>>25453806
>RSE had 60fps
>>
>>25453563
100% agree.
>>
>>25453881
This is simplified but correct.
>>
Kanto needs another remake
>inb4 genwunners out
Hear me out here
>Region can be enhanced and expanded
>Character can be given actual character
>On NX they could include voice acting
>Could include more than the original 151 mons
People would eat that shit up after the recent VC rereleases, let's be honest here, Kanto needs a remake more than Sinnoh, Kanto - even in FRGG - is small and lacking character, it could really benefit from a 3D overhaul where as Diamond/Pearl are pretty much up to stuff still
>>
>>25453969
When you say "simplified" do you mean that i'm technically wrong, even though i've been right so far?

if so, how do you see it?
>>
Gen 1 will get another remake and it will be the last one (for a fair while anyway)

feel free to screencap this because I know I'm right, I'm 100% sure
>>
they obviously won't remake d/p because then they would need to remake hg/ss too

the only reason Hoenn even got remakes was to justify remaking Kanto again (Kanto is the most popular region by far)
>>
>>25453987
>On NX they could include voice acting
I do believe you should kill yourself
>>
>>25453534
Next handheld platform will likely not have DS backwards compatibility. Though a VC port is likely, a remake it just as likely.
>>
>>25453770
Mechanically? Yes. Visually, story-wise, pokemon wise, generally as an experience? Fuck no.
>>
>>25453534
>At what point do remakes stop?

never as long as they can make money off of it
>>
>>25453534
They ought to remake Diamond and Pearl and probably stop there. I think the Mega Evolution retcons could be interesting, but more importantly, the originals are slow as fuck.

Plus, there'd be the return of the Sinnoh Underground.
>>
>>25453586
B2W2 are fantastic, play them.

XY are okay.
>>
Honstly, now that they've established the parallel universes thing, I hope they take the opportunity to merge the remake line into the main line, making a main game where the plot directly involves tampering with the other universe. For Sinnoh it'd be appropriate if permentantly merging or separating the timelines meant both SM and DP protags meddling with Arceus. The new world Cyrus tried to create could be SM and so the two protags would work together to undo the damage invoking the crazy reality warping god dragons did to both timelines.
>>
>>25453658
Can confirm. Had BF then he an heroed.
>>
>>25453600
>post game is fucking worse than Emerald
Battle Maison, Battle Institute, DexNav, countless Mirage Spots and legendaries to capture, a bunch of MegaStones and gift Pokemon to hunt/get, new and improved Pokemon Contest, and the biggest of them all, Online Super Secret Bases.
>>
Considering how visuals as a whole changed from 5 to 6 there will prob be a remake on 1st sometime.
>>
Gen 4 needs a remake because I want to see Hikari in full 3d.

But really, they implemented that flame body egg hatching thing halfway through gen4 and it's annoying having to trade everything to HG to breed then trade back to Pearl to train.
>>
I dunno, if they keep adding Megas, then they can use "hey look, new megas of the starters and a lot of other pokemon" as the selling point of a remake.
>>
File: sunny side up.png (125 KB, 242x285) Image search: [Google]
sunny side up.png
125 KB, 242x285
I swear to god, if we keep doing remakes the entire Pokemon timeline is going to be fucked, and we'll have more remakes than originals. How weird is it going to be if every single game exists twice? Why the fuck would GF do that?

Honestly, I'm playing through Pearl right now, and it is PERFECTLY up to date with the latest games in terms of gameplay, besides only a handful of things (these things being: slow surfing speed, having to open your bag to use another repel, no online anymore, and a lack of NPC variety) but those things are honestly pretty trivial, and I'm getting the same feeling I get playing Gen 5 or 6.

Ruby and Sapphire got the update because they generally felt old, and were restricted by the graphical limits. Yeah, OR/AS were shit, but that's besides the point.

Diamond and Pearl still fall into the ''Modern'' era for me, and for that reason they don't need to be remade. The designs haven't aged in the slightest, and they feel slick and smooth to play. The remakes stop now please.
>>
They should remake gen 6
>>
ORAS was only made to give fans something to chew on while GF worked on SM
>>
>>25453892
All GBA Pokémon ran at a constant 60 frames per second, loading any of them in VBAM will tell you they're al running at an internal 60VPS. Pretty much any sprite based game runs at 60FPS.
>>
I'd say draw the line after FRLG Remakes.

Much like Final Fantasy and Dragon Quest I don't think any game should be remade more than twice. Unless years from now we have so revolutionary new way to game.
>>
>>25453534
We'll get DPPt and BW(2) remakes when Nintendo releases a new handheld incompatible with the DS.
RSE was even still technically compatible, but Nintendo phased out GBA support in 08/09.
>>
File: meanwhile on the internet.png (5 KB, 479x433) Image search: [Google]
meanwhile on the internet.png
5 KB, 479x433
With the Virtual Console, why do we need remakes anymore?
Why can't they just make a new game in an old region?
>>
>>25455964
Or why can't they make all regions in one game?
>>
>>25456000

Because that would take way too much time, money, and man power. That's never going to happen.
>>
Instead of remakes it'd be better if they revisited the old regions with a different story, characters, at a different point in time maybe.
>>
>>25456000
They can't even fill one region with content, how would they do seven?
>>
>>25456064

I actually planned out an entire Red and Blue prequel game, from the story to the music - everything. I don't know why.
>>
>>25455493
Worse than BF
Worse than BF
Wow grinding for Pokemon I can just trade for sure is fun
RNG tiny islands aren't interesting
Catching legendaries many people already have in random as fuck spots isn't interesting
Collecting stones takes a trivial amount of time you can catch them all in any game
Pokemon Contest is just "spam these two moves to win" and it's not even post game
Wow a new feature to easily grind that does nothing else interesting, thanks GF

None of this compares to the hours worth of replayable content the BF holds. Try again.
>>
>>25455964
Because we still cannot play the Gen I games/story with a Physical/Special split. Once that's out of the way and all gens have that split available to them I'm happy to never see a Kanto remake again.
>>
>>25456729
Just play Red++ or any of the dozens of FireRed hacks
>>
>>25455873
If they remake Gen1 again are they remaking actual Gen 1 or are they remaking FR/LG?
>>
>>25457857
Either way. I liked Leaf Green just fine. Great female protagonist. Just looked like normal girl for once, not trying for super cuteness or whatever.
>>
How would a generation V remake work?
>>
>>25456085
Let's be friends
>>
>>25458068
Ideally by not existing
>>
File: Leaf42.png (76 KB, 237x330) Image search: [Google]
Leaf42.png
76 KB, 237x330
>>25457904
True
>>
Remake Gen1 again, that'd be nice
>>
>>25453617
Sinnoh is already in 3D. sprite people but 3D region.
Thread replies: 78
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.