[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
When are you supposed to use legendaries? Or are they more like
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /vp/ - Pokemon

Thread replies: 48
Thread images: 6
File: image.png (45 KB, 250x250) Image search: [Google]
image.png
45 KB, 250x250
When are you supposed to use legendaries? Or are they more like trophies?
>>
I use them in competitive shit and Battle Maison stuff.
>>
I use them only in VGC.
But I try to avoid them, otherwise.
There's something to be said for someone who can win battles without relying on the strongest pokemon.
I see legends as compensations for lack of skill.
>>
>>25440197
I usually dislike using cover legendaries, but I love using Lati's/Suicune/etc.
>>
I think legendaries are a cancer to the games. They invalidate so many Pokemon. In game they make battles pointless and in competitive battles they bring nothing but monotony.
>>
>>25440221
>>25440244
This.
Legends are for pussies.
>>
>>25440244
Not to mention the box legendaries have become repetitive plot Mcguffins, and the event only pokemon just feel like movie promos.
>>
>>25440263

basically this. the only legendary that "felt" like a legendary and still does is mewtwo
>>
File: image.png (32 KB, 142x114) Image search: [Google]
image.png
32 KB, 142x114
>>25440263
This monthly wifi/gamestop event sure feels like one. They're trying to get nostalgiafags that only played red/blue in 1998 on board for maximum SuMo and Go sales. Reminds me of WoW and their WoD ad campaign.
>>
File: 47654.jpg (38 KB, 559x549) Image search: [Google]
47654.jpg
38 KB, 559x549
>>25440295
>GF keeps trying to appeal to people who only know about Pikachu, Lucario and Charizard by slapping these Pokemon everywhere
>completely ignore the people who already play their games and want merch/promos of Pokemon that aren't fucking Charizard.
>>
>>25440197
Some are fun to use, they make the games easier for kids, though having so many in one game is ridiculous. I like using some against the E4, especially the dragons, but they never have a place on my main team. As much as I love Dialga, Ho-Oh, etc.

I only use em during the story if I'm hopeless or are forced to. I ended up catching Mewtwo before the E4 in Yellow so I could finally finish the game. Today. For the first time I beat the E4 and caught Mewtwo in something older than gen 3.
>>
>>25440197
They're pretty much trophies unless you play in a league of their own. Personally I'm too busy breeding instead of playing with legendaries but they make great collectibles imo.
Mew is my favorite HM Slave.
>>
>>25440295
>Reminds me of WoW and their WoD ad campaign.
How bad is it?
>>
Dex-filling box warmers.
>>
File: image.jpg (119 KB, 640x640) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
119 KB, 640x640
>>25440330
>>25440295
Sun & Moon covers will be Charizard Y & X, mega legendary editions
>>
Every event legendary after Mew was never meant to be used for anything other than cashgrab, having commercial movies made around them. So yeah, in TPC/GF/Nintendo's eyes they are trophies that prove your retardation in giving them your money for watching yet another glorified ashnime installment. You also cannot and will never be able to use them in official competitive because MUH FAIR AVAILABILITY, which they themselves restricted on purpose because that's how this marketing machine works. From ingame's perspective there is zero incentive to even get their events unless you really care about 100% completion awards. You don't even go through any bonus challenge, you're just handed one and that's it.

All other legendaries other than the blanked-banned major ones are no different than any other Pokemon without evolutionary line. And even the major ones are allowed in this year's VGC because someone at TPC was apparently curious how much worse could the format still get.
>>
I can sweep whole legandary teams with my battle box :3
>>
>>25440355
before the e4 huh
>>
>>25440197
anytime you want to
do not pay attention to faggots who need to compensate for something through bashing on other people using things
>>
>>25441710
>>25441710
this is bs post your team to laugh because you dont beat a grou/kyo/hooh/megamew2
>>
I'm currently using Mew in Yellow, the only time I've used a legendary in-game since Ho-oh in Gold back when I was 10 (Ho-oh looks really fucking cool).

I felt insulted in ORAS when the game straight up gives you a Latios.

Also, I wish legendaries would go back to being slightly stronger wild creatures (like the RBY birds) instead of world destroying edgegods.
>>
>>25441769
>I wish legendaries would go back to being slightly stronger wild creatures
I think everyone does. Groudon and Kyogre should've been the first and only, or in fact never that strong.
>>
>>25440330
Charizard has been the best pokemon since day one
>>
>>25440275
>basically this. the only legendary that "felt" like a legendary and still does is mewtwo
Please, Mewtwo felt generic as fuck by RPG standards.
>>
Literally whenever you want. There are Pokemon that are just as OP if not more then some legendaries but people still use them because they like them. If you like them, there's no reason not too. I remember when I was like 17 and thought Legendaries were gay and only for kids and people who don't play the game seriously but looking back at it that's just stupid. If I like Jirachi why shouldn't I use a Jirachi? Why is that bashed upon yet a guy using a Garchomp is totally fine? It's ridiculous.

It's not like I use them often or have a team full of them, or even use one every game I play. But there's no reason not to use one just because other people say you can't. If you like a Pokemon, whether it's really good or really shit, you should use it. Especially if it's just ingame.
>>
>>25441769
It seems like they've been getting better at it. 5th generation legendaries had some of the better mons, with a Robo-bug, firefox, muse and my little pony (say what you will, at least it's not a god or edgy nightmare monster)

Then gen 6 came along and threw us Hoopa.
>>
>opponent has legendary
>disconnect
>>
File: kangaskhan-mega.jpg (32 KB, 300x306) Image search: [Google]
kangaskhan-mega.jpg
32 KB, 300x306
>>25440244
Wouldn't unnecessarily powerful non-legendary Pokemon do the same thing?
>>
>>25443768
Chances are the competitive Kangaskhan is at least legit and hacked or cloned
>>
>>25440197
Generations 4 and 5 ruined legendaries by adding way too fucking many. Gen 6 has actually gone in the right direction by easing back a bit.
>>
>>25443896
Nah, you can never have too many legendaries. The problem arises when you make too many of them events.
>>
>>25441769
>Also, I wish legendaries would go back to being slightly stronger wild creatures (like the RBY birds) instead of world destroying edgegods.

This. I liked Gen 4 a lot but I will never forgive it for permanently changing what a legendary had to be. Even Groudon and Kyogre felt like forces of nature, Gen 4's legendaries were fucking retarded.
>>
>>25443896
>>25443913
I just want legendaries not to be gifted and be a challenge to locate and catch.
>>
>>25443920
At the very least GF have't gone full retarded and made more Pokegods again.
>>
>>25443913
>Nah, you can never have too many legendaries

I disagree. The more legendaries there are the more they have to stand out, and that's when you get stupid overpowered shit instead of the legendary birds/beasts. There shouldn't be more than two trios per gen, along with two or three event legendaries.

Gens 4 and 5 each added THIRTEEN legendary and event Pokemon. That is just absurd.
>>
>>25443952
So don't make them OP.
Simple solution would be to add optional areas and foreshadow them during the game.

There's no reason why they all need to stand out and be powerful.
>>
>>25443952
>Gens 4 and 5 each added THIRTEEN legendary and event Pokemon.
At the very least Gen 5 introduced more regular Pokemon than anything and made only one set the obligatory "hype" encounters.
The genies are more reminiscent of the legendary beasts in the sense that you first see them and then they're roaming from then on and the muskedeers are the legendary birds of the gen in the sense that they're all in optional areas you can miss, bar black and white 2.
>>
>>25440197
The latter.
>>
I think it's funny that Arceus is the Lord Almighty, the Alpha and Omega, and yet he has slightly worse stats then Mewtwo, who is basically a Mew fetus that survived an abortion.
>>
>>25440197

I always felt like one legendary per team max made the most sense, and preferably one of the weaker ones or none at all.
>>
I like looking at them them in my PC, unless I'm playing HG/SS then I like to have 'em follow me around sometimes.
>>
>>25440197

Gen VII should have a legend-only frontier
>>
File: crystal.jpg (115 KB, 500x446) Image search: [Google]
crystal.jpg
115 KB, 500x446
>>25440238
But Suicune IS a cover legendary.
>>
>>25450404
>what is reading comprehension
>>
>>25440238
>>25451172
But the Eon duo are NOT version mascots.
>>
>>25440221
No. It just means that they can beat shitters.
>>
>>25451434
>he doesn't know about the concept of Brains versus Brawn
>>
>>25451451
Don't pretend they're mutually exclusive.
Thread replies: 48
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.