[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
why do so many people online worship this gen? I thought it was
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /vp/ - Pokemon

Thread replies: 67
Thread images: 2
File: pokemonsaphruby[1].png (746 KB, 1000x494) Image search: [Google]
pokemonsaphruby[1].png
746 KB, 1000x494
why do so many people online worship this gen? I thought it was known to be one of the worst pokemon gens.
>>
Nostalgia.

I'm with you, OP. I wasn't a fan of Gen III.

But then again, my own opinions are shit, too. I really liked Gen II and IV. HG/SS and Platinum are still my favorites.
>>
>>25437871
It may not be specifically for the gen itself, but for what the game did. Most of us played RBY and GSC as our first games, we didn't really understand Pokemon. And it was fun. But then a new generation came and we were all a bit older so we felt that these games were gonna be awesome. And they were. New graphics, new sounds, new pokemon, everything.
>>
>>25437871
>why do so many people online worship this gen?
It was the most hated gen a few years ago ironically.
>>
>>25437871
The game is over 10 years old. All the kiddies who played are adults now. Wait a couple more years and Diamond & Pearl will be worshiped everywhere by those that played it when they were six.
>>
>>25437871
Because it's objectively the most significant generation from a feature standpoint. Many like it for the music, the monsters, the region, same as any other generation, but objectively speaking gen 3 was the one that did the most to overhaul the gameplay and create Pokemon as we know it today. To put it in perspective, the only really significant refinement since RS is the physical/special split, which was a tiny fraction of what RS achieved on its own.
>>
>>25437871
you heard wrong fäm
>>
>>25437871
see
>>25437948
also gen 3 music a best
>>
>>25437871
It was the Gen that got me into the Pokemon games so Nostalgia clouds my judgement. I think nostalgia clouds peoples judgement when it comes to Gen 1 though, buggy as hell, some of the intended features are straight up busted, some pokemon designs are just straight up animals with no creativity to them. I just played Blue for the first time and some of the original designs are horrendous. Golbat looks worst than it does regularly, a feat I thought not possible, and Sandshrew straight up looks like an armadillo with no added design to it, and what the FUCK was the Machop line on? Seriously, you want nostalgia fucking up peoples perspective, try Gen 1, dear god. But hey, infinite Mews, so who am I to talk.
>>
>>25437948
>Because it's objectively the most significant generation from a feature standpoint.

yea, if we're ignoring all of the steps back it took from gen 2
>>
>>25437978
i found the unovabortion
>>
>>25437994
not him but what's wrong with Unova? I didn't care for BW1 because there was nothing to do after you beat the elite 4 but BW2 is probably the best pokemon game, beating HGSS by a slim margin
>>
>>25438013
It's the cool thing to hate BW and BW2 on this board.
>>
They did a lot for competitive, and they came out at the right time for kid who were on the young side of things when gen 1/2 came out to really start understanding the mechanics and depth of it.

Plus the soundtrack was good, graphics were cool, region was fun.
>>
It was...okay. The beginning of the decline.

>Friendly rival
>Bad sound engine
>Unrealistic and insane evil team

The series starting becoming...more obviously catered to kids. "XXX wants to battle!" to "XXX would like to battle!"
>>
>>25437989
Those are?
The day/night cycle? Weekday events? That's all I can think of.
>>
>>25437994
>Criticizes Gen I
>Must love Gen V
Never change /vp/
>>
>>25437948
>Because it's objectively the most significant generation from a feature standpoint
what. The one significant thing it added was Abilities and Natures.

It removed the fucking Day/Night cycle.

The Physical/Special split is a MUCH bigger deal than the so called significant features Gen 3 added

Hoennfags are the worst

>Worst Pokemon designs ever
>Horrible map
>horrible sound
>>
I actually really liked it all things considered.

I didn't really like it at the time because in my opinion it didn't match up with the comfy, familiar vibes of Gen I and especially Gen II, but in terms of scope Gen III was arguably the most "adventurous" of the lot.

I mean just trying to figure out how the fuck to access the Regis was arguably the most challenging thing Pokemon has ever asked of its players, and when you finally have all 3 caught you genuinely feel achievement.

Also Mudkip's line and Treeko's line were awesome.
>>
>>25437948
>Gen 2 added genders, weather and held items
>Gen 4 added the Physical/Special split, many important moves and two abilities

It is literally surrounded by gens with more important additions.
>>
>>25437871
Wrong! R/S/E were great, visually, comfy region, music was good too. >inb4 trumpets even two of the starters were really cool, better than gen IV or V
>>
>>25437989
what steps back?

are you on drugs?
>>
>>25438049
why are those games hated on this board when they're two of the greatest pokemon games? Is it because 'muh ice cream pokemon & lazy designs'?
>>
>>25438049
no its not. I haven't seen BW or BW2 hate on this board in months. Most people say they're some of the best pokemon games.
>>
>Most people say they're some of the best pokemon games.
thats the meme
>>
>>25437948
>objectively the most significant generation from a feature standpoint
>not gen II who introduced two new types,breeding, hold item, weather and a bunch of other stuff like shiny and roaming pokemon
>>
>>25437871
Keep your shit taste to yourself, thanks.
>>
>>25438084
>>25438181
>Those are?

>back to a single region
>no day and night
>no weekly events
>no day and night pokemon(or pokemon that can only evolve at night)
>>
>>25437948
>objectively the most significant generation from a feature standpoint
>Hoennbabies believe this
>>
>>25438097
>Implying abilities are not just as important as the physical/special split
Everyone insists to say that the gen in discussion has the "worst designs", not matter if it is Gen 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 or 6. This is very personal/subjective, for me hoenn has many good mons.
About the sound, the gba sound was inherently bad, Pokémon did great justice with it, RSE has many memorable musics.
>>
I dunno, I thought they were pretty good.
What I don't get is why this board hates gen four so much though.
>>
>>25437948
>Because it's objectively the most significant generation from a feature standpoint.

http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Pok%C3%A9mon_Gold_and_Silver_Versions#New_features

http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Pok%C3%A9mon_Ruby_and_Sapphire_Versions#New_features
>>
>>25438372
>I dunno, I thought they were pretty good.

they're not bad games, but they're also not the GOAT pokemon games like people believe
>>
>>25437948
>feature standpoint
GSC or DP would take that crown.
>>
>>25437897
this anon has good taste.
>>
>>25437871
I started out playing Silver and I'd never had RSE (I borrowed Ruby from a friend, but didn't get very far), but I really got into Pokemon because of FireRed.

So when I went back to play Sapphire a couple years ago to see what I'd missed with gen 3, I just didn't get the hype. I found the map awkward and the music was just bleh, I honestly don't understand how people can it has the best music (imo DPPt had the best music). I don't get the complaints about the designs, though (I think the legendaries are kind of ugly, but I guess I think that about most legendaries).
>>
>>25437871
Worship? All I've seen was hate and gen 4 being praised instead. This is just like the Zelda franchise saying Majora's Mask is underrated when it gets just as much praise as Ocarina of Time.
>>
>>25438460
Dude. DPPt are shit.
>>
>>25438519
There's no argument that Diamond and Pearl were awful, but all those problems were fixed in Platinum. I don't think Platinum is my favorite game, but it wasn't shit like Diamond and Pearl.

HGSS are the best games, though (but I haven't played BW2)
>>
It's the best.

>>25438507
what are you talking about? Zelda fans hate Majora's Mask now because it's so overrated.
>>
>>25438584
Yes, I loved the shit out of HGSS. I still have yet to find a Pokemon game that i enjoyed more.
>>
idk this gen wasn't bad. I didnt like black and white.
>>
Gen III is best gen
>>
>>25438608
Eh, I haven't heard anyone saying anything since the remakes were released, but I always heard more people praising Majora's Mask while mostly critics would praise Ocarina of Time. Majora's Mask was never underrated.
>>
>>25437871
It was okay, but mostly I just fucking love Kyogre.
One the coolest designs ever, his rival is badass too, and both are planetary hazards. Not to mention that ultra nigga who will show up to deal with them both if shit really hits the fan.

Like Jesus Christ they're so well made.
>>
>>25437871
Gen III was the first gen that I played. I don't like the games too much themselves, save for Emerald's post-game. The great things they gave us were Winona, Wattson, some top-tier Pokemon designs, some comfy music, pre-meme Battle Frontier, Natures, Abilities, and a new battle type. All in all, that's pretty good.
>>
>>25438320
>no weekly events

This is false. Blow-out sales in Lilycove, Berry Blending Master, Energy Guru sales. Not weekly, but Mirage Island as well.
>>
>>25438320
I've always thought of the double region thing as a gimmick they threw in because Johto was so small and basically gen 1.5 anyway.
And Kanto was cut down quite significantly, I'm happy that something like that hasn't happened again. You'd think they'd fix something like that in HG/SS.
>>
Gen 3 the best, I can confirm.
>>
I've been playing Pokemon since I got Pokemon Yellow when I was 6 years old, I consider R/S/E my favorite mainline games. I'll try to explain why

>Excellent starter options. I have a very difficult time choosing which starter I want to use almost every single time I play them, they're all well designed but not over the top
>Beautiful region, amazing diversity in locations. Rainforests, volcanoes, deserts, beaches, mountains, caves, etc. Obviously it gets a lot of shit because there are more water routes than any other game but it's honestly not as bad as people make it out to be. I never even thought about it until I was introduced to the internet. To be honest I actually kind of like the vastness of it, it felt very mysterious to me as a kid. Like I could explore this ocean for days and still not find all of it's secrets.
>The majority of the new Pokemon are well designed and there is a good amount of them.
>In my opinion the perfect balance of Legendary Pokemon. Older games had too few and Gen 4 onwards had way too many. Each Legendary has a good experience behind catching it and none of them are shoehorned in. Unravelling the mystery behind the Regis was fucking incredible as a kid
>>
>>25437871
>I thought it was known to be one of the worst pokemon gens.

You're literally part of a minority
>>
>>25437994

I found the Kaloshitposter
>>
If there's any good thing that Gen 3 brought us, it's the bandwagon/fanbase split.
>>
>>25437948
>Because it's objectively the most significant generation from a feature standpoint
That would be gen 2. Gen 2 added breeding, gender, held items and shinies. Gen 3 just added natures, abilities and the modern EV/IV system.
>>
Personally I enjoy pretty much any main Pokemon game. Gen3 will be my personal favorite since thats the one i grew up on the most
>>
>>25437871
>Everybody Loves this!
>Everybody Hates this!

Both are always incorrect statements.
>>
>>25438917
>Distinguished taste is called such because it distinguishes from the common drivel.
Yep, Gen 3 is bland peasant shit.
>>
>>25437897
Nope, you actually have amazing taste, anon.
>>
File: image.jpg (207 KB, 1131x707) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
207 KB, 1131x707
Best starter ever? I think so.
>>
>>25437871
I actually really liked it but my favorite was gen 4
>>
>>25437871
Gen 3 was my least favorite in terms of pokemon design.

I don't think there's a single pokemon from 3 that I liked.
>>
>>25437897
I'm with you
>>
>>25437897
faggot
>>
>>25437871
why the hell do you think people worship gen 1, anon?
>>
I have fond memories of it. I was in high school when I played it (I quit pokemon for a while). I liked abilities a lot. I was pissed about a number of things though.

The designs didn't bother me. There were a fair share of cool ones.
>>
>>25437871
believe it or not but gen 3 is a normie loved gen big time
>>
I loved it mostly beacause ruby was the first pokemon game I bought with my own money as a teenager.Blaziken is best fire starter and the map is as comfy as can be. Its a shame about how there was hardly a good post game as the gen II games had. The omission of the day/night cycle sucked too.
Thread replies: 67
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.