[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Livingdex = Cheating Yay or Nay? Personally I don't see
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /vp/ - Pokemon

Thread replies: 67
Thread images: 2
File: 4dhS3GJ.jpg (387 KB, 1124x2144) Image search: [Google]
4dhS3GJ.jpg
387 KB, 1124x2144
Livingdex = Cheating
Yay or Nay?

Personally I don't see a reason to catch 'em all over and over each game.
>>
>>25427335
Isn't Arceus unobtainable without cheating?
>>
>>25427360
There have been multiple events for him over the years, including an ingame event in HG/SS.
And it's being given away in a few months.
>>
>>25427360
There was a dream world event Arceus a while back.
>>
>>25427360
You don´t need the events to get the certificate
>>
I got mine legitimately by trading, catching, training and breeding. I also have every form and gender alt. I want to do the same with shinies but I will DEFINITELY cheat there. I'll still catch and train because I find it fun but I'm not wasting my entire life on finding legit shinies.
>>
>>25427335
Yay for me.

Cheated on a few of the event mons, but whatever~
>>
Definitely yay for me. Im not into battling but collecting and trading are my thing. I have a living dex in HG, Black and X and probably gonna do one in S/M
Some of the events are just clones in HG and Black but I dont really care
>>
>>25427335
>not making room for gender differences and any pokemon with multiple forms e.g. unown and vivillon

you deserve no certificate for this
>>
>>25427503
Not mine, I just google searched 'Livingdex'.
>>
I feel like you should get more if you legit get every pokemon
>>
>>25427553
What more is there to give? Money for more pokeballs?
>>
>>25427553
You get a Shiny Charm don't you?
>>
>>25427335
I did this in Y, transfered to AS, plan to move them forward to S/M
>>
>>25427335
what is the purpose of the living dex if you cheat?
>>
>>25427788
No, I mean do you think having a Livingdex counts as cheating?

I've seen people say it is and I disagree.
>>
>>25427335
I cheated some event only stuff for my living dex for gen 4 and 5, but it's pretty easy to get stuff in gen 6.

Everything else I either caught, bred or traded.
>>
>>25427793
No
>>
>>25427793
Oh sorry.
Why should it count as cheating? What is the cheating part about having a living dex?
>>
>>25427586
That's lame af give me passage into the world of unknowns where i battle unknowns and legendairies and uncover the secrets of poekmon in a distorted mess where the truth and past lies
>>
>>25427821
nvm... i get it now...
now i don't think it's cheating. YOu had to capture the Pokemon in previous games, why should it count as cheating just because you dpnt' capture them in the newest games?
>>
>>25427821
Not sure.
I guess some people see it as taking the fun out of the game.

But doing the exact same thing every game isn't fun at all.
>>
>>25427830
>I guess some people see it as taking the fun out of the game.
Keeping on top of new pokemon, forms and gender differences if you really want to go the extra mile is work enough.

Getting all the Vivillons was a massive pain in the ass in itself.
>>
>>25427811
I don't think event stuff is cheating myself. Japan just gets more shit. It's unfair.
>>
>>25427825
What the fuck are you talking about, Anon?
>>
>>25427841
>Getting all the Vivillons was a massive pain in the ass in itself.
How did you do it? It felt so daunting that I haven't even tried yet.
>>
You do all the work in one game and then you can effortlessly get the certificates in the next game. Not cheating when you went through the slog once. Not working hard, working smart.
>>
>>25427445
>every form
Even Spinda?
>>
>>25429679
I wonder since the form you catch is based on the region your 3DS is set, can't I just change the region on one my my 3DSs and get the forms easily that way?
>>
I don't see a reason to catch 'em all at all. You don't NEED that many pokemon. You get nothing for doing so, except you have a better chance at shinies. Shinies don't mean anything anymore, either.
>>
>>25429721
If you start the game over each time you do it, sure.
>>
In a world where people are injecting, and thumping their chest about how "we play the game like how it was MEANT to be played, by INJECTING, ah ha faggots bike sim lol ur so casual"....

The notion that literally playing the game legitimately and capturing every Pokemon constitutes "cheating", when having a full collection of every Pokemon is one of the main objectives of the games, is fucking comical.
>>
completing a living dex made me a little bit dead inside by making pokemon not fun anymore.
i promised my self i would never complete one again.
>>
>>25429771

It's just one of the objectives of the game. Some point like battling, some people just play the story then stop, some people try and collect the dex.
>>
>>25427335
I only did my living dex for Gen6. I will eventually go back to do Gen 1, 2, 3, 4 and 5. I will, however, never cheat.
>>
>>25429712
checkmate
>>
>>25427335
I find it admirable if someone can totally do a Living Dex, especially without cheating because that is a commitment in of itself.
For me, I would love to complete my dex, but that constantly gets harder and harder with the event exclusives growing larger and larger.

I've found myself collecting Vivillon variants just because.
>>
>>25429828
Agree. It's a one-time thing.
Still worth doing though. It also makes completing the new dexes more fun since you know you have everything that came before.
>>
>>25429838
You won't succeed with Gen3, anon. You just won't.
>>
I'm only missing Jirachi, Genesect, and Darkrai. I have obtained all the rest without cheating. It is so tempting though because I don't know how I'll ever get Jirachi
>>
>>25429889
This year it's an event. I think it's even going to be digital, so you are sure to get it.
Genesect is Gamestop BS though iirc

In adition to the pixies distributed this year, the one I'm missing is Cresselia.
>>
>>25429889
A Jirachi Wi-Fi distro will run through April
>>
>>25429911
>it
Jirachi, I mean.
>>
>>25427335
Thanks anon, i dint know what pokemon was bad acomodated until now

Personally i dont see it as cheating, because in the end we transfer almost every one to the new games to fill the gaps, and to make more easy that task.

Only need a legal meloetta, and transfer my event mons to AS to have it completed.
>>
>>25429911
Play BW2, you can catch Cresselia in-game
>>
File: eddie-murphy-nodding.gif (3 MB, 450x248) Image search: [Google]
eddie-murphy-nodding.gif
3 MB, 450x248
>>25429889
Are you not going to collect the monthly events? I believe this Jirachi is in April, Darkrai is in May, and Genesect is in November.
>>
>>25429931

Can get Cresselia in ORAS too.
>>
>>25429931
Oh really? I skipped on BW2 because it didn't seem worth the price, but I'll probably pick it up eventually.

>>25429944
Yeah, but I can't get the island to spawn.
>>
Do you guys keep past in-game bros as part of your Living Dex? Or is your Living Dex all fresh caught/traded mons? Something in between? Why/why not?
>>
>>25429958
I use some trained mons in the living dex, but i started since fire red until X collecting bros.
>>
>>25427335
How is it cheating? If you've caught or obtained all those Pokemon legitimately then there's no issue. Event Pokemon in particular are a bitch to acquire every generation since you have to wait for short periods of time before you can get them (and it's often only once per generation).
>>
>>25427335
I never knew Livingdex was even a term.
I have it, and I didn't cheat. (Well, I hacked in the event to allow me to catch pokemon that would otherwise be impossible, not the actual pokemon. For example, I'd hack in the Azure flute or Prof. Oaks Letter)

It's actually not that hard. Once you have one fully evolved pokemon and you trade it over to the next game, just breed it and level it up to its second form. It's not as hard as it looks.

That said, the whole process too 5 years, but that was because I played like a filthy casual.
>>
I just recently completed my living dex

Well almost,I still need Jirachi, Manaphy and Darkai, but everything else I have
>>
>>25429879
Is it not possible in Gen3? What's missing?
>>
>>25430253
It's missing entire regions. If you want to fill the dex 'internally', i.e. how you would do it if it were the newest game, then you'll need to trade stuff over from Colosseum and XD, as well as, I think, FireRed and LeafGreen.
It's possible, it just really isn't worth it.

You can forget about the events, obviously.
>>
>>25430365

I don't mind trading. Do I really need Colosseum and XD though? I don't like games named after emoticons.
>>
>>25430503
I'm pretty sure you do. But hey, you'll find out when you try, and completing the dex in every gen would be quite an impressive feat.
>>
>>25430516
I'll probably stream those attempts if I ever try. But I need to buy these games now when they're cheap.
>>
>>25430503
Yes, unless you want to complete the Emerald Dex three times,
And Ho-oh and Lugia are in those games too, but they are eventmon in gen III.

You need at least:
Emerald - For all Hoenn Pokémon (all non-catchable Pokémon can be caught in Gale of Darkness)
LeafGreen - For the remaining Kanto Pokémon not in Gale of Darkness (getting LeafGreen is important because it's the only gen III game Slowpoke is in)
Colosseum - All Johto mons not in Emerald and LeafGreen (+ Ho-oh) (+ Jirachi if you're American/Celebi if you're Japanese)
Gale of Darkness - All remaining non-catchable you're still missing (+ Lugia)
>>
>>25427360
Arceus has had multiple distros since 2009. You're thinking of the Azure Flute
>>
Nah, I don't think of it as cheating. If you wanna catch them all, why not have a living dex as proof of that accomplishment? I remember trying to make a living dex before ORAS came out mostly because I had a feeling they would give you the in-game incentives all over again (Shiny/Oval Charms.) and whatever was after XY would be more refined in game play terms. Also, kinda learned that having a living dex made it easier than when I transported my Gen V mons and had to go back and breed and level up whatever gaps I had in them after completing the Pokédex in White 2.

If I had to see why it's cheating, I guess some people just have fun catching them all over again.
>>
Can I get help with this?
I finished my living dex in Omega Ruby a while ago but I wanna keep an extra copy full on the Bank in case my cart ever dies or something. Is powersaves safe enough for that, and what exactly would I need to do?
>>
It's probably literal autism to do the Living Dex the way I did, but I obtained every mon as a Gen 6 native(blue pentagon), where possible, mainly for the gold crowns in the Pokedex. That also includes every permanent alt form that can't be changed.

Now I dread with Gen 7 that the blue pentagon will be irrelevant and it'll spark me to unwillingly wanting to rebuild my living dex. It would be much easier if all I have to do is get the Gen 7 mons.

To answer the question, no it isn't cheating. However, I felt shitty for uploading my living dex from Bank into OR when it came out to instantly complete the dex. Building he living dex is what kept X playable for me for so long, unlike OR which made it so I didn't have much to do once I beat everything. I spent from about October 2013 to July 2014 building the perfect living dex. It was totally worth it l, but these days idk if I have the time and effort to do it again.

One good thing is after this year is over, I'll hav literally all 721 + forms with the blue pentagon. When I completed in mid-2014, most of the mythicals were still unobtainable in Gen 6, so I used old mythicals I had from Gen 4 and 5
>>
>>25430848
PowerSaves is irrelevant garbage with homebrew these days, but it'll be good enough if you want to backup your dex. Just backup your save file, upload the mons to Bank, then reload the same file back to the cart. Now you'll have a double living dex
>>
>>25430891
What do you mean? Is there some sort of safer way?
>>
>>25431504
Yeah, a homebrew save managing app to extract/inject saves is 100% safe. All you'd have to do is extract the same, load the mons into Bank, then reload the backed up save. You can also store the save and/or box data on your computer by using PKHeX.

Even though it's rare, PowerSaves has been known to permanently brick cartridges. I used it a lot up until ram2sav injection, which was seceded later when homebrew exploded with ironhax in August. Other than it taking a few minutes before PS stopped spazzing and would read the cartridge fully, I never was bricked.
>>
>>25427335
Nay
It's going to take me months to catch a living sex of all 721 on my down time. Not doing it a second time.
Thread replies: 67
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.