[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>EXP Share makes the game too easy! I don't get this
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /vp/ - Pokemon

Thread replies: 53
Thread images: 5
File: Dream_Exp._Share_Sprite.png (6 KB, 90x80) Image search: [Google]
Dream_Exp._Share_Sprite.png
6 KB, 90x80
>EXP Share makes the game too easy!

I don't get this meme
How an optional item makes the game easy? Leveling up isn't hard, it is time consuming. Exp Share just cut that time in 6. You don't think the Running Shoes or the Bycicle makes the game easier, do you? Exp Share is literally that, except for leveling up.

The AI still makes stupid decisions all the time. Blame the AI for easy games, not the exp share
>>
It makes the game stupidly unbalanced and requires you to turn it off and on again repeatedly so you don't end up way under or over leveled

It's a shite mechanic
>>
I love me some Nuzlocke in Gen 6 because it's the right amount of easy.
>>
>>25410491
EXP all should've been a separated item from individual exp Share, simple as that

with exp all you level up a whole party equally and is good for leveling up several mons at once, especially in post game team building The gen6 exp.all works by giving a value of 50% of the exp to all pokemon that did not fight. In a team of full pokemon, the other 5 get 50% each, giving you actually 250% extra exp, making each battle reward you as 3.5 battles, making you level up super fast.

exp share is good for in game when you need to level up a single new pokemon that is underleveled compared to the rest of your team, so classic individual exp share can push a new pokemon faster while not breaking your main team to ridiculous levels

gen6 exp share would only not be broken if the opponents levels were either dynamic or set to higher standards
>>
>>25410491
I agree that the AI making stupid decisions makes it easy, but on the flip side, the AI making a choice based on knowing whether or not you're going to use a certain move, or switch out a Pokemon, is unacceptable
>>
>>25410491
>Leveling up isn't hard, it is time consuming

It's not time consuming if you're leveling up by fighting trainers you're forced to pass by anyway. I don't get why people say this. Were people really so shit at the pre-gen 6 games they felt the need to grind?

The gen 5 exp share was way better because it was still balanced with the fucking game and it offered more control than "all or nothing."
>>
>dude optional lmao
Literally everything in the game is optional. Fuck off with that retard argument. I swear it is the same fucking person who makes this post.
>>
File: Z0036215[1].jpg (168 KB, 1023x927) Image search: [Google]
Z0036215[1].jpg
168 KB, 1023x927
>Why do people call this Arthur game easy? You can just close your eyes while playing it so that means it's not easy!
>>
>>25410491
Does xp share give bonus experience or does it simply split the experience between entire party?
>>
>>25410690
It's true, though.
>>
>>25410794
It just splits it.
>>
>>25410808
So no game in the history of ever can be called easy because you can just arbitrarily handicap yourself until it's not easy. Gotcha.

>>25410794
The gen 6 one flat out gives you free experience out of nowhere. The gen 1 exp share is the one that literally splits it between the entire party.
>>
>>25410741
Choosing to not use a completely optional item is not artificial difficulty.
>>
>>25410491
>>25410635
Dumbasses believe that making grinding tedious equates to difficulty.
>>
>>25410843
It is when the game doesn't offer it as a difficulty mode and there's no tactical advantage to the player not using the item.

You're just playing by some headcanon rules and thinking everyone else should do the same. It's like berating anyone who calls Pokemon games casual because they're not doing nuzlocke mode.

>>25410874
Again, were you really so shitty at previous Pokemon games you actually had to go out of your way to grind? I NEVER grind in Pokemon games, even before gen 6. Just fight the fucking trainers you see on your way to the next town.
>>
>"WAAAAAH THE GAME IS TOO EASY WAAAAAH"
>"TURN OFF THE FUCKING EXP SHARE"
>"WAAAAAH ARTIFICIAL DIFFICULTY WAAAAAH WHY ISN'T IT JUST HARDER WAAAAAH I WANT TO BE REWARDED FOR PLAYING IT A DIFFERENT WAY WAAAAAH"

so you're telling me that you want the game to be harder, yet you want to be able to use exp share, yet you want exp share to not make the game easier, yet you want to be rewarded for playing in an arbitrary "hard mode" setting
okay, how
>>
>>25410885
>Again, were you really so shitty at previous Pokemon games you actually had to go out of your way to grind? I NEVER grind in Pokemon games, even before gen 6. Just fight the fucking trainers you see on your way to the next town.
Let's put it this way: Dragon Warrior on the NES (the first one) consists primarily of grinding. That's not difficult, that's tedious.
>>
>>25410831
There any proof about the bonus xp?

How long have they been giving bonus exp? Seems like since at least diamond or so.
>>
>>25410491
Not touching the optional part. That's valid.

Exp Share makes you *over-levelled* just by completing all available trainer battles, no grinding needed. Note: over-levelled. This makes climactic battles piss-easy and, therefore, unmemorable.

RPG's can have tough battles that remain in your mind for a long time. Even Pokemon's had some battles like that. Being over-levelled practically eliminates this possibility. If the game were properly balanced for the Exp Share, we'd have a different story.
>>
>>25411019
But we're talking about Pokemon. Not Dragon Warrior. In Pokemon you don't need to grind unless you're just shit at the game or you feel some autistic need for all your Pokemon to be 5 levels higher than everyone else for some reason.

>>25410998
>so you're telling me that you want the game to be harder

I want the game to be harder without having to do some headcanon arbitrary foot shooting bullshit. I don't play games ASSUMING that I have to fucking balance the game myself because the devs couldn't be assed to.

>>25411045
The gen 6 exp share gives the Pokemon in battle 100% EXP while the Pokemon who didn't battle get 50% EXP. So if you defeat a Pokemon with one of your own Pokemon that's fucking 350% net EXP for your party. That's ridiculous. Meanwhile Gen 2-5 the holder got 25% EXP and the Pokemon in battle got 50%. And it was only one member unless you have more EXP shares.
>>
>>25410998
It's simple. Just inflate the fuck out of everyone's levels so you're required to either use the Exp. Share or grind the shit out of fuck.
>>
>>25411146
>Not completing your dex
>Not breeding and training a lvl 100 team for iv's and competitive play

Its like you only play till you beat the E4 and then put your ds down for years until the next Pokemon game comes out.
>>
>>25412147
I play Showdown for lv100. In-game it doesn't matter because everything is moved to lv50 anyway. And I already completed the dex. It's not worth having the exp share take a giant shit on the in-game pre-credits gameplay. If it's an issue just simply give the broken EXP share to the player post-game.
>>
>>25410491
Being grossly overleveled all the time makes the game easy.
>>
>>25410491
Playin Blue on 3DS now, Koga just used autodestruct on his weezing and he lost. AI wasn't good back then either
>>
>>25413432
what's wrong with games being easy?
>>
>>25410505
This is simply not true
I'm currently doing an X run with
>exp share turned off
>5 pokemon in constant use
>not beating wild pokemon
>not catching wild pokemon that I don't want to use

I've just beaten team flare (after 7th badge) and not once was I under- or overleveled. My average level fluctuates between 3 levels above or below the AI's levels.

The game is balanced around either using a lot more pokemon than just 5 or not using the exp share at all.
The exp share is simply a very easy mode that can be switched off whenever you want.
>>
Gen I exp all was a good way to do it, Pokémon that fought get 50% exp split between then and the whole party gets the other 50% split between 1/2/3/4/5/6.
>>
File: not motivated enough, brother.webm (3 MB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
not motivated enough, brother.webm
3 MB, 1280x720
>>25410491
I don't get it too. They didn't use it for 4 consecutive gens, now they're FORCED to use it? I don't understand.

My playthrough was similar to >>25413779
only that i beat and catch wild Pokemon that i wanted, and had a team of 6. Only turned it on at:
-Team ___ fight
-Gyms
-E4
That way i ended up underleveled the whole way through. Both Y and AS. My mons were around 10 levels behind both Diantha and Steven.

People are retarded.
>>
File: 1418180308721.png (34 KB, 800x600) Image search: [Google]
1418180308721.png
34 KB, 800x600
I wish the game just had an outright easy/hard mode at the start of the game, The professor can ask you if you've had previous trainer experience and if you're a novice, intermediate or advanced and bam, levels are set for the game.
I don't mind when a game gives you the option to play on easy, but when the entire series begins to cater to the audience that's just mashing their fire type starter's strongest move, it becomes a problem.
I also dislike the recent buff to Exp Share because it totally eradicates the age old practice of switching the weak Pokemon out in the first turn, especially since you get it so early now. Getting a Gyrados with minimal effort practically defeats the whole idea behind Magikarp and Gyrados to begin with.
>>
>>25414300
Please tell what is the difference in assigning it to Magikarp itself? None.
And with Exp. 6hare you still have a unusable member of your team. "Age old practice" because it's literally only in the first gen.
>>
>>25413878
It's almost perfect. Just shorten the report instead of listing everyone's exp gain indivually.
>>
>game offers you crutch that makes things easier
>decide to make use of it
>complain about game being too easy with crutch
>>
File: 1438807802315.gif (413 KB, 219x171) Image search: [Google]
1438807802315.gif
413 KB, 219x171
>>25413779
I would personally be satisfied with just the option to delete it from my inventory entirely

it feels too easy to take the easy way out
>>
>>25410491
Isn't just too easy if you have 10 levels span from other trainers?
>>
I'm playing ORAS and have a full team of level 65s at the 6th gym.

Exp Share IS broken.
>>
>>25413446
Challenge. Watch a movie if you don't want challenges
>>
>>25410491
The problem with the exp share is that it makes you horribly over leveled in gen 6. Although even if you turn it off, you never need to grind because the game is so easy and the AI is so shit. You may look underleveled if you just look at the numbers but simple knowledge of type match ups will let you complete the game at around 10-20 levels lower than the strongest trainer. In fact, you never need to grind in any Pokemon game (even in GSC, which had a shit level curve). Anyone who does so should probably kill themselves for being so casual at a kiddie game.
>>
>>25410491

There's no problem with it at all.

It's essentially an in game difficulty slider, but because some anons here can't handle the slightest change to their games (let alone an optional one that caters to multiple tastes), they call it bullshit
>>
>>25414507
it's a children game, kids don't want challenge
>>
>>25410491
These complaints where at their strongest just after the release of XY. Many people weren't aware of how strong the new Exp Share was until they'd already stomped the game with it, leaving a feeling of resentment. They really should have named it something else.
>>
>>25412162
This sounds like it should be done. After the whole maingame is finished there shouldn't be a problem with an item making it faster to build new teams for PVP.
>>
>>25414300
>Nintendo ever assuming you aren't a first time player
Every major franchise Nintendo game ever will assume you have never touched a videogame before, without bothering to ask you. It's just how they roll.
>>
First off, the game is designed around the use. I mean, the thing even defaults to on in XY, if that isn't an indicator I don't know what is. It goes against logic to have an item that just conjures up experience with no downside, the game offers no explanation why you shouldn't use it. The old exp share at least came with a catch, you stopped growth of all to help one.

I played through X twice with it off and quite frankly it shows. To be honest, if they didn't change the other exp mechanics, like how exp is distributed when you switch, then I would have ended up even more below the level curve. Maybe this was a result of picking up new pokémon during the way, but none of the other games felt like this, especially gen V which had a very sensible exp system.

I would have been okay with it as a post-game option, but when an item like this offers a bonus with no downside I will rightfully complain about the obvious bad game design.
>>
Fuckern hell, how don't people still get it?

People enjoyed the idea of EXP Share levelling another Pokemon, splitting the xp gain in half between the two. It was balanced, it felt like grinding was necessary, but not too much of a waste of time, and not too difficult either. It was a chore, but in the same sense MMO grinds are a chore but you want to do them.

The way EXP Share works now is completely ridiculous. If you don't use it you fall behind. If you use it, you're way too far ahead. It sucks as a mechanic even if it's optional because X/Y doesn't allow you to do anything but grind wild Pokemon or restaurants. And it removes the grind that was actually enjoyable for a lot of people.
>>
>>25410491
>>25414260
When you opt out of using something in the game, you are yourself changing the game. It's not the inherent difficulty. It's your own self-enforced difficulty.

You don't have to use Exp Share, but you'd be wrong to deny that it makes Pokémon an easier game. You could say it's sufficiently challenging not using Exp Share, and that not using it is a better way to play. It's still an altered game and not the inherent difficulty. It's artificial in that the player defined it rather than the game inherently.

If you don't get what I just wrote, I'm sorry but you are dumb. Please seek education.
>>
>>25416197
Woah there, you can't grind the E4 anymore?
>>
>>25416197
>If you don't use it you fall behind. If you use it, you're way too far ahead.
If this is happening to you you're playing the game wrong, simple fact.
>>
>>25416211
>It's your own self-enforced difficulty.
And using it isn't self enforced ease?
Your entire argument is based on what you consider right rather than an objective view.

After all you could flip your entire argument and it would still be correct because not using it is the inherent difficulty of the game. In fact you could say that it's the true difficulty because you aren't using the difficulty altering item.

If you don't get how you're wrong, I'm sorry you're just too dumb to ever understand. Please seek education.
>>
>>25416338
The Exp Share is given to you turned on. So, thematically, it IS self-enforced difficulty, because the player needs to take action (turning it off) to choose the harder path. Of course now we're getting into semantics.

The biggest problem is twofold:
>1. The player has no way of knowing just how much easier the game will become with the use of Exp Share. By the time the player finds out, the damage is done.
>2. As >>25416197 stated, you DO fall behind in levels if you don't use it. Grinding becomes a required part of the game rather than an optional powerup.
>>
>my easy children's game is too easy
>i don't want to make it more difficult for myself, that's too easy
>>
>>25416197
>If you don't use it you fall behind. If you use it, you're way too far ahead.
This was a valid complaint about XY. In ORAS they fixed the balance that if you don't use it at all you'll be even leveled pretty much the entire game, so it doesn't make any sense to still bitch about it.
>>
I fucking lost to Mega Metagross, reeee I was underleveled compared to him and he just killed every party members. I fucking lost money! It's not fair
Thread replies: 53
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.