[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Random encounter replacement
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /vp/ - Pokemon

Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 1
File: pokeradar2.gif (199 KB, 256x192) Image search: [Google]
pokeradar2.gif
199 KB, 256x192
>see patch of grass shake and move around aimlessly
>enter tall grass
>it spots you with a "!" over it's head
>it starts moving toward you
>it touches you
>pokemon battle starts

Why are random encounter battles still a thing in pokemon?
>>
>>25400559

For some semblance of challenge. If players could just breeze through a route with no problem, it'd be too easy, even for Pokemon.

RPG Dungeons need enemies, and in Pokemon, those dungeons are caves, forests, etc.
>>
>>25400559
>why does an RPG have random encounters?
>>
>>25400661
Lol you do realize it isn't a defining factor for the genre, right?
>>
>>25400559
That sort of thing was cancer in XY's desert.
>>
>>25400661
There are plenty of JRPGs without them.
>>
>>25400672
Lol you do realize most RPGs aren't action RPGs right?
>>
They kinda did that with the dexnav and it was shit except for chaining

Random encounters are fun and Pokemon does it right
>>
>>25400707
Zubat please leave.
>>
>>25400559
>kalos route 13
>>
It's fine the way it is. It's good enough that most routes are open fields, where battles only happen in tall grass and 99% of the pokemon you find are weaker than you and will let you run away. If you want less battles, maneuver yourself better or use one of the million mechanics they added for people like you, like O-Powers. If you want no battles, buy repels.

The only time Pokemon did random battles in an annoying way was the introduction of Hordes. Fuck that shit.
>>
>>25400686
Yes, and even then there are more RPGs without random encounters than with them.
>>
>>25400686
There are tons of turn based rpgs without random encounters. Earthbound for example, or Grandia. There's also the Tales series which is not turn based but also has its enemies appear on the map.
>>
>>25400559
I know /vp/ is like 12 but does anyone remember jade cocoon just having the monsters in the overworld run toward or away from you?
>>
>>25400707
This, all that matters is the variety. I hated the dexnav just giving away what pokemon appeared. I also hated the variety in ORAS, emerald had better variety
>>
>>25400893
prety sure earthbound has random encounters... all those random rednecks I had to beat with my cracked bat... great times

>>25400559
dragon quest tried this shit some time ago and now, this is another shitty action game. I don't want to loose another good franchise, thanks.
>>
>>25400893
Confirmed for not having played Earthbound and just using it as example because it's nerdy and cool to bring Earthbound in conversations even if you don't know what the fuck are you talking about.

In other news, Earthbound is shit, it's recently become a trend because of hipsters, don't fall for it.
>>
Laziness. Overworld encounters would mean GF would have to do overworld models and animations. Even in ORAS all they did was show a Pokemon's tail and sometimes just a black blob.
>>
>>25400632

>If players could just breeze through a route with no problem, it'd be too easy, even for Pokemon.

You're totally misunderstanding what the OP is saying. You'd still encounter Pokémon from walking into tall grass, this idea would just make the transition from walking in the grass to the wild encounters more "fluent".

This isn't "breezing through a route" any more than simply avoiding the grass to begin with.

Anyway, ORAS was already hinting towards this with the sneaking function, which was a way better use of the Circle Pad than having permantly equipped roller skates.
>>
>>25402666

>prety sure earthbound has random encounters.

No it doesn't. All the enemies are in the overworld.
>>
>>25402680

Confirmed for not knowing what random encounters are.
>>
>>25400707

> I hated the dexnav just giving away what pokemon appeared

I think the execution of the dexnav should be adjusted a bit, but how is that any different from if the game actually had 2016 presentation values and you could SEE the Pokémon as you would be able to see animals in your neighborhood while you were talking down the street?

I mean in-universe are we supposed to believe these Pokémon just instantiate out of thin air when you walk into tall grass?
>>
>>25402680

> recently become a trend because of hipsters

Funny because most people not desensitized and acclimated to eccentricity would consider liking Pokémon as an adult either a hipster trend or even a gay lifestyle.
>>
Several jrpgs don't have random encounters and funnily enough they're all better than Pokemon.

Dragon Quest
Chrono Trigger
Mario & Luigi/Paper Mario/Super Mario Rpg
Earthbound/Mother 3
>>
I hope they bring back that sneak shit they had in ORAS. That was great.
>>
>>25402777

In a sense sneaking made me actually felt like I was "catching" Pokémon for the first time, making this minor change what I found to be one of the more meaningful improvements made in Gen 6..
>>
While I would like semi-random encounters, i feel they keep it the way it is for simplicity of game mechanics as to appeal to kids.
>>
>>25400681
That was mainly because it was implemented in the most retarded way possible.
>Dirt mounds move as the player does and almost always catch you if you try to get past
>Because of this you have to stand completely still and do nothing until they go away so you can move freely
>Even if you wait they'll probably respawn offscreen and catch you anyway
>Repels don't keep them at bay
>>
>>25400752
This. Let it stay random encounters, or GF will make our lives hell.
>>
>>25402777
DexNav was pretty great in general, except at Route 111 because of lack of big grass patches.
>>
>>25402693
From my understanding it's either:

1. The pokemon visibly moves towars you while you are in teh grass. You can run and avoid it.

2. The game acts exactly the same, except there is an animation prior to battle of a pokemon running through the grass to touch you.

If there is an alternative view you have then I'd love to hear it.
>>
>>25403215
OP here, that's pretty much what I mean. There's just one patch of grass rustling and then it stops and a patch next to that starts rustling to give it the effect of something moving between patches of grass. Then when you enter the tall grass, it starts to move towards you. Then when it touches you, you enter a pokemon battle. Unlike Dexnav though, you won't know what pokemon it is until you enter battle. Depending on how big that area of grass is, there would be multiple pokemon roaming around.

That isn't to say it should be easy to breeze through grass without getting caught. You should be able to determine where you should enter the grass and the right timing if you're trying to not get caught.

I'd think this adds a sense of thrill and player engagement that the normal RNG encounter doesn't have. It would definitely be more challenging too in a sense because you'd actually have to think if you're trying to avoid them instead of mindlessly walking in and hoping the RNG lets you go.
Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.