[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Changing the starter formula.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /vp/ - Pokemon

Thread replies: 61
Thread images: 3
File: 300px-Rock-paper-scissors.svg.png (33 KB, 300x287) Image search: [Google]
300px-Rock-paper-scissors.svg.png
33 KB, 300x287
Grass,Fire,Water is the norm for starter Pokemon, but what if this was changed to something different?. That's where you come in anons,brainstorm ideas for new typings for starters. Let me start things off my combinations would be Rock/Flying/Fighting,Steel/Fairy/Fighting. These are two batches of typings I'll like to see some starters have, anyways how would you go about changing the starters?.
>>
>>25397388
the classic fighting/flying/rock could be cool
>>
File: Balance.jpg (10 KB, 330x249) Image search: [Google]
Balance.jpg
10 KB, 330x249
>>25397388
The Grass/Fire/Water triangle is very simple and intuitive, easy to design around and easy for new players to understand. They're never going to change it for the main games.
>>
>>25397388
Those other trios have types that are too powerful for early game. Steel walls everything while practically nothing resists Fairy or Fighting ingame.
>>
>>25397411
Yeah I understand that, but what if you wanted to make a fangame, and you wanted to change the starters. See this thread is for that purpose to find new typings that can work just as well as the usual Grass,Fire,Water that can work if one wanted to make a game with different starters.
>>
File: type groups.jpg (102 KB, 666x666) Image search: [Google]
type groups.jpg
102 KB, 666x666
>>
>>25397388
Dark Psy and Fight?
Might lead to edgy starters though
>>
>>25397388

I've actually been brainstorming a fakemon project over the past couple of days that uses a rock/fighting/flying trio of starters. I'm thinking some kind of rock lizard (haven't put much thought into it yet besides that), a fighting type based on a boxing kangaroo. The final form may possibly be ground/fighting physical sweeper. Design wise it rears up on its tail and attacks by kicking out with its legs; feet are red and it kind of holds them out like fists while reared up while the pattern of its skin going about halfway up the leg looks like boxing tape and its pouch is coloured red to resemble boxing shorts. I figure this way I can stick to the theme without looking exactly like the million and a half other boxing kangaroo fakemon out there.

For the flying type, I wanted to go for a pure flying type flying fox. I've already done a quick sketch for this one, it looks a bit like a zoroark/noivern hybrid (looking for ways to change the design so it stands out a bit more) with colour/pattern inspired by ww2 fighter pilots (kind of a light brown colour overall, with white fur around its shoulders/neck and black fur around its eyes and feet to look like googles and flight boots, respectively.

Personally, I highly doubt GF will change the grass/fire/water trio any time soon, but it still makes for a fun thought experiment
>>
>>25397587
that's fucked anon
>>
>>25397438
Then just can just do a really frail steel type, a balanced fairy, and something to the fighting to it can't over do the others. So their is still some balance, and you can also add different typings for the early routes besides Normal.
>>
>>25397587

Psychic can't touch dark, so their won't be a way for you to beat your rival you won't have any attacking options.
>>
>>25397388
If we're looking at both the triangle of super effective/weakness AND reverse triangle of resistances then the only options we've got are
>Grass ← Fire ← Water
>Grass ← Poison ← Ground
>Fire ← Rock ← Steel
>Rock ← Fighting ← Flying
>>
>>25397388
What I want is for a triangle with different types, types other than fire, grass and water, some trio from these >>25397967

But what I really want is for the triangle to go both ways. So the primary types go round the triangle the old fashioned way. But for the secondary types to go the opposite way around the triangle. Grass/dark -> fire/psychic -> water/fight ->
>>
>>25397763
In the early battles you only have Tackle anyway, and by the later battles you'll have coverage moves and other team members.
>>
>>25397388
Fighting/Steel/Fairy is pretty perfect
>>
Rock Flying Fighting is the only answer if we want anything close to the formula and completely new
>>
I like Steel, Fairy, Fighting combination. You fix it by making the Steel starter be a fast glass cannon with bad defenses so that resisting fucking everything isn't really a problem. Give it a more offensive secondary typing, like Ground or Electric to benefit from being fast. Stats could be similar to Infernape.

Fairy has few weaknesses, but the stuff it's super effective on is kinda rare. Have that one be the all-around bulky attacker with stats similar to Venusaur. Secondary typing should be something that benefits from being bulky, I'd suggest Flying (so it can have Roost, giving it reliable recovery) or Poison (so it's harder to wear down). Water would be good too.

Last one is fighting. This should be the tank of the group. Strong physical attacker with good defenses as well. Stats should be similar to Chestnaught, but give it a different secondary type, maybe make it more specially defensive than physically defensive. Electric would make for an interesting secondary typing since Thunderpunch on a Fighting type seems natural. Fire and Poison could be fun too.

If you want a reversible triangle you do:
Steel/Ground
Fairy/Water
Fighting/Electric

If you would rather have a triangle where they double up on each other's weaknesses, forcing you to find away around your rival's starter, you do:
Steel/Electric
Fairy/Flying
Fighting/Ground

Personally, I like the second set slightly better, but that's just me.
>>
I want what many thought were the types for the gen 6 starters where it's the normal types but they also get secondary types to balance it out

Fire/psychic
Grass/dark
Water/fighting

Or something to that effect
>>
How about...
Grass/Rock
Fire/Flying (but not a Charizard clone)
Water/Fighting

Would that sound cool?
>>
>>25398826
But then the grass starter can beat both water and fire. In fact it can do better against fire than against water.
>>
>>25398748
>fire/psychic

i love delphox, but i don't want more "combos" like fire/fighting.
>>
>>25398859
Hm, I didn't think about that. Kinda like how Empoleon gets screwed by both Infernape and Torterra (well, not really. Empoleon learns Blizzard and is faster than Torterra so it isn't totally screwed).

Maybe we could make the Fire one learn Flash Cannon or Iron Head or something so it can still beat Grass.
>>
Bug-Grass-Rock
Fire-Steel-Rock
Ice-Ground-Steel/Rock
Flying-Fighting/Grass-Rock
Electric-Water-Ground
Giratina-Giratina-Giratina
>>
Okay so an idea for Rock/Flying/Fighting the starters will literally represent the rock/paper/scissors game. So for the Rock starter it will present the rock, the Grass starter is paper, and the Fighting starter is scissors.
>>
>>25398183
So basically you want each starter to have a STAB x2 effective move and a STAB x1/2 effective move for each other starter? You could do that with types not in those triangles, Trying to use those ends up with weird cancellations.
>>
Ok but Serperior is going to be Dragon type right
>>
>>25398183

Gen 4 kinda did this.
Empoleon ice beam.
Torterra EQ.
Infernape any fighting moves.
>>
>>25397388
Water types were always strobgest in the triangle since they could always learn Ice Beam or Blizzard t beat up on Grass types. Fire starters rarely get an Electric or Grass move to beat Water, and Grass almost never gets a Ground or rock move to beat up Fire.

GF loves Water.
>>
>>25399044
Gen 2 kinda did this
Feraligator Ice Fang
Meganium EQ
Typhlosion Thunderpunch
>>
>>25399159
>Grass almost never gets a Ground or rock move to beat up Fire
Chestnaught and Torterra are the only ones that can make effective use of EQ
I'd really blame Ground and Rock for being basically exclusively physical outside of Ancientpower (which is still only 60 power and requires you to breed for), and Earthquake (which most of the SpA-oriented Grass types can use effectively)
Its like Flareon, but as an entire type.
>>
The bad thing about having a rock or steel starter is that in the initial fight with your rival if one of you has the rock or steel type and at this point the starters only have normal attacks than one of you is at a huge disadvantage
>>
>>25397388
Fire, Water and Grass are pretty basic elements, perfect for a start so i don't see why change it.
Also secondary typing are a thing you know
>>
>>25397545
Yo were's Rock?
>>
>>25397405
Fighting could be a scissor swordsman and flying a paper plane; shame the type advantages get it backwards
>>
>>25397405
Requesting the "Gigandre" fighting starter fakemon (and the other 2 starters if possible)
>>
>>25397405
>>25397668
>>25397967
>>25398448
>let's shake up the formula for once!!!1!
>let's have a FIGHTING type starter for the 5th time in a row!
?????
>>
>>25398355
This
>Blisteringly fast Steel starter with crippling moves
>Defensive tanky Fighting starter that with clerical and counter moves
>Physical attacker Fairy mon with decent speed and great HP, lots of recoil and HR-HW moves
>>
>Lunatone and Solrock are given evolutions
>One can only evolve during the evening after reaching a certain level
>The other only during the morning
>They're the new starters
>>
>>25398448
I dunno, they dont feel like they have a connection the way Fire/Water/Grass do.
Those 3 are clear elements that clearly effect each other, whereas Fighting/Flying/Rock is like;
>Fighting - not even an element, more a learnt skillset
>Flying - can control wind but really based around having wings or being aloft more than the element of air, and can't be learnt like Fighting
>Rock - the only element in the trio, the starter would have to be made of rock in some way or another. It doesnt express an action like Flying or a lifestyle like Fighting
It'd be a big like having Sporty/Swim/Wood as a type trio
>>
>>25398355
Fighting doesnt resist steel
>>
>>25402383
No, that's terrible. Neither of the two are very popular.
>>
Fugging
Fighting, Dark, Psychic
>>
>>25402469
>LET'S USE THE SECONDARY TYPES FROM GEN VI :^)
Why are you all so desperate to shake things up while not doing it in a reasonable manner?
>>
How about having the starters be completely independent.
Electric-Fire-Dark or something.
>>
>>25402528
Why, though? The whole point of starter Pokemon is to introduce type advantages and disadvantages to new players. Might as well just ditch the very idea of starter Pokemon if you're going to throw that out the window.
>>
>>25402542
>The whole point of starter Pokemon is to introduce type advantages and disadvantages to new players.
Are you sure? Type disadvantages never come into play in your first fight against your rival and whenever they explain the concept it never has anything to do with the starters.
Starters exist for the sake of variety, and tradition.
>>
>>25398183
>But what I really want is for the triangle to go both ways
just make the triangle Dragon/Dragon/Dragon then
>>
The triangle needs to resist itself and what it's strong against. Nothing else works. That said, I'd love grass/rock starter. It's a really strong type combo, grass covering the water and grass weakness and rock covering the ice/fire/flying. But then fire and water with fighting/flying secondaries has been done to death.
>>
>>25397967
AFAIK ground, rock, flying and fighting don't resist themselves. Everyone always forgets that.
>>
>>25397763
With the amount of psychic types that are learning fairy moves now, the tables will probably turn and the psychic mon will be able to hold their own against the dark mon.
>>
>>25397388
I wanna see Dragon, Fairy and the new type they're introducing in 6.5 as a starter (Umami-Type)
>>
>>25403044
>6.5
>new type
If you want to meme, say Sound-type.
>>
>>25403059
It's not meme, it's truth. But you'll soon see.
>>
>>25403076
A generation is a generation. You can't say it's only half.
>>
>>25403084
It's an expansion pack, basically. Also the creator of Pokemon all but stated to forget what we know about how Pokemon game releases work.
>>
>>25403116
>It's an expansion pack
Like second and fourth, then?
>>
>>25403116
>It's an expansion pack
Like Gen II?
>>
I do not believe in such limitations. You should be able to select from any base pokemon
>>
>>25403184
I do not believe in such limitations. You should be able to select from any pokemon
>>
>>25403226
I do not believe in such limitations. You should be able to select from any fictional monster
>>
>>25403262
I do not believe in such limitations. You should be able to select from any fictional character.
Thread replies: 61
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.