[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Which Version Did You Pick?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /vp/ - Pokemon

Thread replies: 45
Thread images: 7
Which game version did you pick when the games were new, and why?

>Gen 1
Blue. "Some are born great, some achieve greatness, and some have greatness thrust upon them." It's what the neighbor girl gave me.

>Gen 2
N/A

>Gen 3
Sapphire. My Mom got me and my brother new GBAs after my sister pawned our Gameboys, and she got us Ruby and Sapphire. She gave me Sapphire because my favorite color is blue.

Leaf Green, because there was no Ocean Blue, and like hell was I gonna let Red win.

>Gen 4
Diamond. I just thought Dialga looked cooler, and again, it was blue.

>Gen 5
White. The new games weren't that interesting to me, but I saw the Pokemon White film in theaters because, Hey, Pokemon was in the theaters again. And it inspired me to buy the game after I saw. Marketing at it's finest.

>Gen 6
Y. Because I thought it had a cooler legendary. Even if it wasn't blue.

Alpha Saphire, because I wanted to relive my adventures back on the GBA.
>>
File: 1412629702119.jpg (52 KB, 800x450) Image search: [Google]
1412629702119.jpg
52 KB, 800x450
Yellow (gift)
Gold (gift)
LeafGreen (gift)
Ruby (was cheaper)
---DS Flashcart
Platinum (best of 3)
HG (above)
White (I found that ROM first)
W2 (continuation)
------
Y (everyone else seemed to be getting X)
B2 (literally the day pokebank was released)
AS (to counterpart Ruby)
>>
Red, Yellow
Silver
Fire Red
Diamond, Peal, Heart Gold
Black
X, Alpha Saphire
(Aiming towards Sun, depends on exclusives)
>>
Red
Silver
Ruby
Pearl
SoulSilver
White
White 2
X

I typically go for whichever version most of my friends don't have, unless I really don't like the version mascot.
>>
Red (Spanish)
Silver
Ruby+Leaf Green
Pearl+Soul Silver
Black+White 2
Y+Alpha Sapphire
Sun+Blood Diamond :^)
>>
Red
Crystal
Ruby
Platinum / SS
Black / White 2
Y and AS
>>
>Blue
Best friend at the time had blue version and I'd play it at her house since she was stuck in the rock tunnel. Got it for my birthday later. Later got yellow when it came out and then bought a red version for nostalgia last year
>Silver
Asked for it because I recognized Lugia from the movie and liked its design more. Got Crystal when it came out and bought gold last year for nostalgia
>Sapphire
Friend Mason had Ruby and I wanted to be his rival. Got emerald later
>leaf green
Because US didn't get a green version and I thought that was cool
>Diamond
Because Palkia looked like a penis. Didn't get platinum until recently because I didn't really like Gen 4
>Soul Silver
Because it's the best game
>White
Liked the box legendary more
>Black 2
Because reasons
>X
Got my girlfriend at the time Y since that was the one she wanted so I got the other
>Alpha sapphire
I really don't know why I got it. Was running Mightyena solo until the 7th gym then got bored.

Going to get moon because I'm edgy on purpose
>>
>Gen 1
Yellow as a gift

>Gen 2
Both Gold and Silver with birthday money

>Gen 3
Sapphire as a gift, aunt bought 2 copies of both for my cousins in case they both wanted the same, they took one each so I got to choose

LeafGreen because all my friends got FireRed

>Gen 4
Pearl & SoulSilver because all my friends got the opposite

>Gen 5
Black
Black 2

>Gen 6
X
Omega Ruby

I've also owned the 3rd version for every Gen
>>
>>25391110
>Gen 1
Yellow, cause it originally belonged to my cousin who let me use it as I pleased.

>Gen 2
Silver, Technically Crystal was my first taste of gen 2 but I ended up with silver cause crystal was a blockbuster rental and I wanted silver cause Lugia.

>Gen 3
Sapphire, Got Sapphire cause 1 it's blue and I love blue and 2 it sounds cooler than Ruby.

>Gen 4
Diamond, Didn't like Palkia

>Gen 5
Black, Zekrom looked better

>Gen 6
Y, cause I liked edgy bird better
>>
>>25391110
>Gen 1
N/A

>Gen 2
N/A

>Gen 3
Sapphire. I liked the colour blue more than red and I liked Kyogre more than Groudon. My parents got me my first console (GBA SP) and Sapphire back in 2005. Felt good.

>Gen 4
I ignored the mainline games of this generation, but if I did buy a version on launch it would have been Diamond for the same reason as you OP.
Soul Silver, because I hated Ho Oh for some reason.

>Gen 5
Black. For the worst reason ever. I thought Zekrom was obtainable (since it was the same colour as the game name) and realised I was wrong when I saw the boxart after it arrived in the post.
Black 2 because I could finally get what I was after in the spoiler.

>Gen 6
X. I liked the look of Xerneas more than Yveltaal (or however you spell it) and the version exclusives.
Alpha Sapphire for, again, the same reason as you OP.
>>
>Gen 1
Red. Because I borrowed it from a friend and played it first so I thought I'd get the same version. It may have also just been the version bought for me.

>Gen 2
Gold. I liked Ho-oh more than Lugia and my friend had Gold.

>Gen 3
Skipped. Later bought Ruby because it was the cheapest I could find on e-Bay. FireRed because I had Red.

>Gen 4
Diamond because I liked the look of Dialga better than Palkia. HeartGold because I had Gold.

>Gen 5
Black because Reshiram>Zekrom. Black 2 because it's Black's sequel.

>Gen 6
Even though I liked Yveltal more than Xerneas I picked X because I'd always picked the "first" version of every gen until then. X ended up have better exclusives anyway though, and I wanted the first Fairy legendary.

OmegaRuby because I had Ruby.
>>
I always take the "blue" [cool color] + the water starter
>>
Gen 1 - Red (I wanted scyther and electabuzz)

Gen 2 - Silver (Lugia was cooler)

Gen 3 - Ruby (Thought Groudon looked better)

Gen 4 - Diamond (Palkia looked like shit)

Gen 5 - White (Only one I could find cheap enough, didn't really care for this generation)

Gen 6 - Omega Ruby (Continuing the trend, and I prefer the Omega symbol to the Alpha symbol)
>>
>>25391110
>Gen 1
My big brother already had Yellow and Blue

>Gen 2
Gold and Silver, same as Gen 1

>Gen 3
Dad had a GBA with Ruby. Eventually just handed it over to me because I kept bugging him about letting me play instead

Eventually got Sapphire and Emerald as well
And Fire Red. In that order.

>Gen 4
Dialga, just looked cooler

>Gen 5
White, Zekrom just looked cooler
Got Black 2 because I wanted another Zekrom.

>Gen 6
Y. Looked cooler. Plus, fairies suck ass.

Got both ORAS because I loved the 3rd gen.
>>
>Gen 1
Didn't play yet

>Gen 2
Still didn't play yet

>Gen 3
Started with emerald then i traded it to some kid for Fire Red

>Gen 4
Diamond since palkia looked like ass
Heart Gold

>Gen 5
Both since i had no friends that played pokemon at the time
Both again with BW2

>Gen 6
Y
ORAS
>>
>>25391110
>Gen 1
I'm a johto baby and never played the RBY
>Gen 2
I had both Gold and Silver given to me by my older brothers
>Gen 3
I never got to play Ruby, Sapphire, or Emerald (I did borrow a friend's game, that was Ruby, though).

I also picked FireRed

>Gen 4
Pearl, my bro got Diamond. We shared Platinum but I played most of it.

>Gen 5
Black (I still haven't played Black 2 or White 2

>Gen 6
X and Alpha Sapphire
>>
>>25391110
Red, Gold, Ruby, FireRed, Diamond, HeartGold, Black, Black 2, X, Omega Ruby. I thought the "first" of the two versions were better, and it's pretty much a tradition from now on. Gonna buy Sun when it's out as well.
>>
>Gen 1
Yellow (Hand-me-down)

>Gen 2
Silver (hand-me-down)

>Gen 3
Sapphire (found in the freezer aisle of a grocery store)
Fire Red (Charizard)

>Gen 4
Diamond (Dialga looked cool as fuck)
Soul Silver (Since I played Silver)

>Gen 5
Black (Reshiram looked cooler)
White 2 (Did a nuzlocke of White and wanted my run of White 2 to be a sort of continuation of white story wise)

>Gen 6
Y (Again, box legendary)
Omega Ruby (Exclusives and Primal Groudon's ability)
>>
>>25391110
Gen 1: Red, Blue, Yellow
Gen 2: Silver, Gold, Crystal
Gen 3: Ruby, Sapphire, Emerald, Leaf Green
Gen 4: Diamond, Pearl, Platinum, Soul Silver
Gen 5: White (I wanted black, but fuck Reshiram, fucking ying-yang bullshit ruining good naming schemes), Black 2
Gen 6; Y (fuck you Xerneas, X is a cooler name than Y, but Yvetal shits on you), Omega Ruby
>>
>>25391110
>Gen 1
Yellow, only used copy available in a store when I went to get it.
>when the games were new
didn't play it, just posting my relevant first one
>Gen 2
Silver, first game, parents got it for me.
>Gen 3
Sapphire, same
>Gen 4
Diamond, didn't like penis spacemonster
>Gen 5
White, I was worried black would try to be edgy and grimdark
I got rid of white and got black later, because of some other reasons. I didn't like white that much for some reason.
>Gen 6
Y, literally all of my friends got X and I wanted to know what the difference was. Also didn't like Xerneas that much.
>>
>>25392253
oh also for gen 5 part 2
>black 2
Wanted the opposite color for my first game, to see what was different.
>>
>>25391110

>Gen 1
Red, grandparents gave it to me. I don't think it was a birthday or christmas present I just went to see them and they gave it to me

>Gen 2
I had Gold and Silver, gifts from the grandparents again. I don't think I played Silver much though. They game with cool gold and silver GBC covers. They clipped to the front

>Gen 3
I got Ruby and Sapphire on release day. Sapphire was my favourite though

I chose Leaf Green over Fire Red, because Bulbasaur was my first pokémon

>Gen 4
I bought Diamond when it released. I can't remember why I chose it exactly, I think it was because I didn't like Palkia's design

>Gen 5
I skipped Gen 5, I borrowed my friend's copy of White though

>Gen 6
I chose X because of the version exclusives I think, though I can't remember which exclusives I wanted

I picked Alpha Sapphire because of my memories playing Sapphire way back when
>>
>Blue (gift, I was a child)
>Gold (still a child)

Pokemon is dumb Im a big kid period

>Found a copy of Fire Red under a vending machine
>Bought Emerald
>Bought Pearl when I realized everyone DOES still like Pokemon and I'm not weird for it
>Bought Black
>Y
>Omega Ruby

When I was in high school and college when DPP/BW came out, I intentionally picked the "less cool" versions just so I'd have all the exclusives everyone else would be looking for in a month. Made the most sense to do.
>>
>>25391110
>Gen 1
Red
Blue
Yellow

>Gen 2
Gold
Silver
Crystal

>Gen 3
Ruby
Sapphire
Emerald
Fire Red
Leaf Green

>Gen 4
Diamond
Pearl

>Gen 5
[. . .]

>Gen 6
Omega Ruby
>>
>Gen 1
Yellow. All starters plus in colour.

>Gen 2
Crystal Pretty cartridge, animated battle sprites. Suicune side plot, Ice cave has ice. As stupid as it sounds, being able to play as a grill really made me enjoy the experience more too.

>Gen 3
Sapphire
FR

>Gen 4
Plat. Distortion world was cool, I guess.
HG

>Gen 5
Black. Idk why desu.

>Gen 6
X. I honestly was just going off of the box art and I thought Xerneas looked nicer.
Didn't buy ORAS because I hated X.

>Gen
>>
Blue, I dont know why. Its just what was there.

Gold cause I liked Ho-Oh.

Sapphire because Kyogre was sick and FireRed because muh Charizard

Diamond because Palkia was ugly, then HeartGold because muh Ho-Oh.

White because despite what the mainstream wants you to believe White looks better then Black and White 2 because it follows.

X because muh deer and AS because Kyogre again.
>>
File: 539d0b3ec90e8c71b6000065.gif (842 KB, 500x540) Image search: [Google]
539d0b3ec90e8c71b6000065.gif
842 KB, 500x540
Since I was born in 97' my experience with Pokemon was weird. I loved the show as a toddler and I got a GBA in 2002 with Pokemon Pinball. My parents knew what the core games were like and wanted to wait until I could read, so a year later I got Yellow for my birthday. My dad ended up playing it more though. So around 2007 Pokemon is reaching the end of it's schoolyard popularity, everyone's still playing R/S/E and loving it and are excited for D&P. I get a DS for my birthday and come april I buy Pearl on launch. Unfortunately everyone was too cool for Pokemon now and the school's got more hardcore with their bans. From there I'd fall in and out of liking Pokemon. I enjoyed Soul Silver though. It was only until 2012 that I decided to try again and I bought Black. I absolutely fell in love with it and I've been with the franchise since. I got Y, hated it, got OR, was okay with it. Skeptical about Moon.

/blog
>>
>>25391110
Red
Silver
Sapphire
Diamond
White
X
>>
>Gen 1
Yellow first then Red. I could never find a Blue.

>Gen 2
Crystal first then around Gen 4 time I bought Gold.

>Gen 3
Literally of them.

>Gen 4
Diamond because Dialga looked cool, Platinum and Soul Silver because I never had the original.

>Gen 5
White and White 2 because my friend got Black and Black 2.

>Gen 6
Y for Mega Mewtwo Y and Alpha Sapphire because I loved the original Sapphire.
>>
File: pikamon.png (145 KB, 540x427) Image search: [Google]
pikamon.png
145 KB, 540x427
In Gen 1 I had Red because I knew my friend was getting Blue ( he creamed himself over Blastoise, I doubt he would have gotten into pokemon had he never seen Blastoise and his shoulder canons ) Suited me just fine, because I loved Dragons, and Charmander was the cutest little shit ever when I watched the anime.

But then a kid at school rused me out of my Gameboy, and Red version, so I replaced it with Yellow.

Got Silver because I thought Lugia was cooler than Ho oh.

Got Sapphire because my friend got Ruby. I hated Kyogre but I still wanted to be able to trade with my friend so I bit the bullet.

Got Pearl because Palkia's design sucked less than Dialga's. Eventually sold my Pearl to a friend so I could buy Platinum.

Got Fire Red because it was all gamestop had in their used game section ( I got it a generation late )

Got heart Gold because I thought I should get the opposite of the original version I bought as a kid.

Got Black and Black 2 because I thought Black City sounded cooler than white forest. I actually hated Zekrom.

Got Y because Yvetal's design is slightly less garbage than Xerneas.

Got omega Ruby because same reason as Heart Gold.

And I got Red version on Virtual consol because as nice as Yellow's improvements are, I really wanted to see all those funky battle sprites all over again.
>>
>>25391110
>Gen 1
Red. Got my older cousin's used Gameboy and some games for it when I turned 6.

>Gen 2
Got all thee games later, but had none of them when they were new. Played a bit of Silver since a friend had it.

>Gen 3
Ruby. I think I mainly got it because my first game was Red. Got Emerald too when it was released.

>Gen 4
Diamond. Don't remember why I chose it.
>>
>>25391110
Red
Gold
Ruby
Pearl
White
Y

Gold version is the best version
>>
I picked Yellow, and while I'm having a fun time, I feel a little sad knowing it will be more difficult to complete my pokedex than if I had just chosen Red or Blue. I had never played Yellow, though, and I'm really enjoying it. The slightly tweaked pokemon encounters are fucking sweet, I loved the surprise of finding a Sandshrew outside of Mt Moon.

Still I'm about to get my Mew and I'm hype about that.
>>
>>25391110
>Gen 1
Blue (found a $50 bill on an empty sidewalk in grade 4, hell yeah I ran my ass off to the mall)
>Gen 2
Gold (Christmas present)
>Gen 3
Skipped it
>Gen 4
Pearl (self bought)
>Gen 5
Skipped it
>Gen 6
X, also Alpha Sapphire because I missed out on Gen 3
>>
>>25393289
If you really care about completing the dex, you can always use the extended Mew Glitch to capture them all. The Hex index is really interesting in RBY, like how you can have certain Pokemon placed in your party in a certain order, and it will have act like a stone after a Pokemon levels up. A lot of neat tricks like that.
>>
>>25391110
Blue
Silver
Emerald
Diamond
White
X
Sun
>>
File: 1456273536910.png (199 KB, 439x392) Image search: [Google]
1456273536910.png
199 KB, 439x392
I: all
II: all
III: all
IV: all
V: all
VI: all
>>
>>25391110
>gen 1
yellow, it was a gift from my mom
>gen 2
lel, didnt play it,
>gen 3
sapphire and later emerald, a friend had ruby so i picked sapphire
>gen 4
diamond, dialga looked cooler
>gen 5
black and black 2, not sure why
>gen 6
X, im not edgy to pick death
>>
>Soul Silver
Got a DSi for christmas in ~2010 and saw Lugia and just needed it so I got my mom to buy for me (young, no money myself)
>Platinum
Got my allowance and saw it on Amazon, decided to try it, loved it. PTSD from underground was worth it.
>Black
Got it around release, just cause I wanted it really.
>Black 2
Loved Black, got Black 2 a couple days after release, pretty good but black was better.

It hasn't arrived yet but I have a 2DS and Alpha Sapphire coming in the mail soon.
>>
>chair when too poor to get gameboys back in the day
My first was Sapphire because it was the only pokemon rom I found on a disc I got from a friend.
>>
>>25393463
People like you are the reason why the pokemon company have no incentive to put as much effort as they can into anything anymore.
>>
File: 1456111003616.png (393 KB, 621x710) Image search: [Google]
1456111003616.png
393 KB, 621x710
>>25393709
cry me a river poorfag
>>
>>25393709
Some of us like collecting the games. Sorry that you can't have fun regardless.
>>
>>25391110
>Blue
>Gold
>Sapphire
>Leaf green
>Diamond
>Heart Gold
>White
>White 2
>X
>AS
>Sun (preordered)
>>
Yellow
Gold/crystal
Ruby/fire red
Diamond
W/W2/HG
X
Thread replies: 45
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.