[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why not Russian? After all the hype of going global now, you'd
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /vp/ - Pokemon

Thread replies: 96
Thread images: 8
File: noru.png (183 KB, 844x475) Image search: [Google]
noru.png
183 KB, 844x475
Why not Russian?

After all the hype of going global now, you'd expect this one too. It's a world language after all!
>>
/int/ here. I actually agree with you.
>>
>>25354155
Russian is the language I was expecting.
>>
Does Pokemon sell enough units in the former Soviet Union to warrant a Russian translation?
>>
1) everyone in russia already speaks some english
2) russia's economy is down the shitter and wouldn't buy the games anyway
3) china is a huge market and nintendo wants the money
4) blyat
>>
>>25354155
Chinks are more into weebshit than filthy slavs. They probably think pokémon is gayshit as well.
>>
>>25354155
Even if they had a option in Portuguese I would still play in English

I fucking hate the name of the moves in Portuguese it just feel cringe
>>
>1.2 billion native speakers (Chinese) vs. 150 million native speakers (Russian)

It's a real mystery.
>>
>>25354155
How will nicknames work?
>>25354193
>90% will pirate the game
>>
>>25354155
I would prefer Latin American Spanish.
I'm tired of the European Spanish translations.
>>
>>25354200
>>25354193
>implying that you have time to play while you work in three different workshops making Make America great again snapbacks
>>
>>25354213
this
so
fucking much

>a bocajarro
>recurrente
>carantoña
>lobezno
>a todo gas
>>
>>25354179
your point?
everyone in germany speaks english too
>>
>>25354179
>wouldn't buy the games anyway
Isn't Russia a huge market for Steam? and pre-Steam, Ruskies were the largest piraters per capita?

Not sure who I'd rather see on Battle Spot. Chinese or Ruskies. At least there's no chat and I already know everyone uses hacked 'mons including me
>>
>>25354213
>>25354240

As someone who knows very little Spanish, what' the big difference between Spanish and Latin American Spanish? Especially in pokemon games? Is it really noticeable?
>>
File: 1415228381326.png (404 KB, 726x619) Image search: [Google]
1415228381326.png
404 KB, 726x619
>>25354245
shit
>>
Keep in mind that the chinese 3ds only has 9 games
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IQue#iQue_3DS
>>
>>25354259
yes
asspain uses terms that are outdated or nobody knows in latina america

for example close combat is translated as a bocajarro, the proper latin maerican translation should be combate cercano
>>
>>25354193
>82 million people speak German
>>
>>25354315
It doesn't make that much of a difference but you forgot Switzerland and Austria (also Liechtenstein)
>>
>>25354272
I have to wonder if this iQue shit is why they still keep up region lock.
>>
>>25354245
But germany has a big fanbase,
>>
File: neonazis.jpg (40 KB, 400x281) Image search: [Google]
neonazis.jpg
40 KB, 400x281
>>25354155
Why not Hungarian?
>>
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_languages_by_total_number_of_speakers

No Arabic either. Isn't Pokemon banned in a couple of Arabic speaking countries or am I making that up?
>>
File: Mcn8BX0YdMU.jpg (124 KB, 604x466) Image search: [Google]
Mcn8BX0YdMU.jpg
124 KB, 604x466
Russian here. Funny thing how they are already releasing localized TCG and actually promised game localization, but yet it isn't here.
>>25354172
Don't have the numbers, but Nintendo is expanding expanding pretty rapidly here right now.
>>25354179
I've actually seen lots of children complain about having no translation though.
>>
>>25354155
Russians are incapable of feeling warmth, love or compassion. The idea of friendship or pets is alien to them.
>>
China officially reversed their ban on Video Games so they're wanting in on the market.
>>
>>25354155
Why can't people just learn to play the English version.

I'm from the Netherlands and all we ever get is the English version because English is the easiest language there is and everybody speaks it.
>>
>>25354491
I think it falls under gambling, yes.
>>
>>25354155
>Russians
>Nintendo
They're all peecee ketchup rice over there.
also
>Russians
>buying games
If it cannot be pirated they won't play it. Hence the peecee gaming bias
>>
>>25354272

Chinks need to make a Romance in Three Kingdoms Souls game already.
>>
>>25354570
I don't even want a Dutch translation.

>'Venusaur doet Slaap Poeder!'

Disgusting.
>>
>>25354272
It feels so weird that Sun and Moon are going to be China's first pokemon games. They've only had the anime and bootlegs up until now.
>>
>>25354491
http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Pok%C3%A9mon_controversy#Islam

Yeah looks like they had their own "Pokemon goes against god" thing, but once the crazy marketing died down they stopped paying attention.
>>
>>25354155
>No portuguese
Nintendo hates the hues
>>
>>25354155
Russia is poor and shitty.
>>
>>25354595
Exactly, like I said English is the superior language. I don't understand why other countries don't feel the same way. I would hate for videogames and other media to be translated to my native language, simply because that language is terrible.
>>
>>25354604

It's already in Spanish, there's no point.
>>
>>25354613
Same thing, but I think Spanish, German, Portuguese and the other big languages are not at all terrible for video games.
>>
>>25354613
>I don't understand why other countries don't feel the same way.

Because everyone speaking the same thing would be boring?
>>
>>25354155
>going global
aka "they payed us enough to put their language in our game"
>>
The bigger question is why do italy and spain have english Pokémon names?
>>
>>25354604
And Portugueses
>>
>>25354614
I'm pretty sure most hues and Albertos Barbosa play it in english.

The spanish version is atrocious.
>>
>>25354613
You'd destroy your country's culture that way. Have some national pride, Bjorn.
>>
>>25354667
Not being able to speak English well enough to play a video game just seems really backwards to me. Like a 3rd world country.
>>
>>25354728
Culture =/= Language

And I would argue that despising things being translated to Dutch is actually part of the Dutch culture.
>>
>>25354734

It's fine to speak English but I wouldn't go to such lengths to buy the English version when there's a version already available in my native Language.
>>
>>25354726
can confirm this
spanish version is fucking unplayable
>>
File: image.jpg (83 KB, 931x432) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
83 KB, 931x432
>>25354179
>1) everyone in russia already speaks some english
KEK
>>
>>25354155
Localization is already a huge chunk of time they said, and most of the 7 starting languages are at least roman characters which require a bit less work between their translators learning and moving it over. Doing Chinese twice was probably already an insane amount of time and work, but with China lifting it's ban on video games last year that's opened a market of 1.5 billion people who are excited to explore that form of entertainment, that's way too good a market to pass up. Russia only has a population of around 180 million and they are almost worse than the Chinese about making bootleg games anyways, and their language isn't Roman characters. Too much work for too little payout with also likely giving a nation of insescent bootleggers more of their assets.
>>
>>25354755
It's funny how the blue countries are exactly those countries that don't get the game in their own language.
>>
>>25354751
Are the translations really shit? I was thinking of starting a file in Omega Ruby in spanish since I'm learning it
>>
>>25354240
>PORTAZO

>>25354613
Because some countries like Italy or France have the right combination of national pride and laziness, they don't even try to learn English and think everything should be in their language anyway.

>>25354726
Videogames translations to Spanish in general are horrible.
>>
>>25354213
>Playing games in Spanish
>Not playing them in English like they were meant to be played
>>25354787
This is true translations in Spanish are usually downright awful.

I avoid them like the plague.

Is there any chance that we could also play pokemon in Japanese?
>>
>>25354778
They range from being just inaccurate to outright using archaic or cringeful terms, although the latter is mostly translations made in Spain.

/v/ would collectively blow a gasket if they saw the shit going on in a Spanish translation.
>>
>>25354866
Particularly they are blamed of using regional expressions that only make sense for SOME people. Maybe they wouldn't be so bad in that regard if they at least tried to use neutral Spanish, but Spaniards think they are the kings of the hill so they just don't give a rat's ass about it.
>>
>>25354726
BR here. I play in English
>>
>>25354155

>the only info we get about the games is this shit

[simplified chinese intensifies]
>>
>>25354186
Its not a matter of being cringy for old fans, is for making it accessible for the young target audience that does not speak english.

Here in hue the anime is fully dubbed since the first one, so is fully translated the tcg, tcgo, and manga. The market is big and familiar with the franchise, yet, ignored
>>
>>25354898
It is kind of a big deal though. Chinese is one of the most widely spoken languages and they only recently lifted their ban on video games.

There's a fucking ton of money to be made if they do this right.
>>
>>25354863
>Is there any chance that we could also play pokemon in Japanese?
Since xy just select japanese at the beginning
>>
File: 2 quoi ami.jpg (39 KB, 214x252) Image search: [Google]
2 quoi ami.jpg
39 KB, 214x252
>>25354213
>>25354240
Imagine if there was a Portuguese version, they'd have to split it between Brazilian PT and European PT.
Hell, sometimes I think it'd be a nightmare if whe had English versions with British, Australian and American English, French versions with Metroploitan French, Belgian French and Canadian French.
>mfw a Corsican friend of mine still would like to translate Pokémon romhacks in Corsican
>>
>>25354570
I think you have to remember that Dutch and English are very similar languages. They are related and so it is a lot easier and more intuitive for Dutch kids to learn English and play an English game than it is for Russian, French or Italian kids for example.
>>
>>25354952
This. Nearly all of continental East Asia, Taiwan, and a few other places are now going to buy the games. That's a lot of cash that Nintendo just let go before because dealing with China is too much of a pain in the ass. Most people there don't learn Japanese to play games either, but Vietnamese and Thai speakers will usually still be able to read and understand Chinese at a simple level.
>>
>not playing pokemon: ping dong destroy americarr version
>>
japan hates russia
>>
>>25354155
China is a better market than Russia especially since China is more of an emerging economy and they lifted the ban on video game consoles. It's all about money.

This isn't rocket science

>>25354259
Spanish from Spain is retarded. Don't let them tell you otherwise.

>>25354604
>>25354657
again, it's about the market. For example, Activision ditched the Portuguese translation for FIFA because the BR-Portuguese translation because FIFA games are popular in Brazil and they have more people, so more money.
>>
>>25354680
That's not how it works at all.
>>
>>25354213
Wait you guys also murdered Spanish? hopefully not as bad as the Brazilians did with Portuguese.
>>
>>25357342
>Wait you guys also murdered Spanish?

Murdered it? we improved it.
>>
>>25357353
Did you make a lot of dumb words with English words turned into spanish? like calling Team - TIME when the word is Equipa (this is a portuguese example).
>>
>>25357381
I meant if you want to use Team, use Team, not Time because you can't spell it and somehow becomes a word in your language, specially when you had one already.
>>
>>25357381
What? No, we use the word "equipo" for team. Spain just does random retarded shit like calling "Fast and Furious" "A Todo Gas" instead of using "Rapido y Furioso" like any Latin American would
>>
>>25357418
Cool you don't murder your words then, I see what you meant, I was talking portuguese like I said and if the game is translated to portuguese its going to be PT-BR so I'm fine with my english here.
>>
>>25357342
Even Spanish don't like their localizations, because of the cancerous and outdated slang they use only in Spain, and their tendency to translate even things that shouldn't be translated, like >>25357418 said.

Blizzard already did Latin American Spanish translations for Starcraft II and they're pretty good.
>>
>>25354741

Sociolinguist here

Language is = culture

:^)
>>
>>25357497
Getting a degree in Sociolinguistics and then working at Trader Joe's doesn't make you a Sociolinguist
>>
>>25357532

Working on my fully funded PhD in (applied) sociolinguistics.

I want STEM elitism to go
>>
We should firm a petition for Nintendo to remove a useless language like Spanish and add superior Russian.
>>
https://www.ethnologue.com/statistics/size

hmmmm i wonder
>>
>>25357543
But man, in 30 years, IAs will do everything a professional man can do, even STEM.

All manking will be left to do is to fap to Touhou VR games.
>>
File: Teacher-Icon.png (25 KB, 1042x1042) Image search: [Google]
Teacher-Icon.png
25 KB, 1042x1042
>>25357571

I'm doing a PhD because it is an aspiration of mine since I was small.

Though this is /vp/, who am I kidding.

The only goals most people have on here is to see how much they can shitpost in a single day
>>
>>25355021
>they'd have to split it between Brazilian PT and European PT.
they don't split European Spanish and Latin American Spanish
>>
>>25354259
As a Spaniard I can tell you that yeah, there are a lot of differences between both Spanish. Both regions have expressions only understandable on said region, not talking about meaning of certain words.

I feel confy with a Spain-like translation, but I can understand the reasons because of SA don't feel as confy as a Spaniard.
>>
>>25357690
Both regions are shitholes, more news at 9.
>>
>>25357418
I have to give you a point. I hate when here in Spain some translations are done like that.
>>
>>25357675
Yeah, I know that. What I meant is that if they do this for one language, they "should" do it for the others. I don't think it'd be a good idea, though.
>>
https://www.change.org/p/nintendo-remove-spanish-language-from-pok%C3%A9mon-titles-and-change-it-for-russian?recruiter=497679431&utm_source=share_for_starters&utm_medium=copyLink
>>
>>25357737
Salty dude is salty.
>>
>>25354213
neutral spanish is a better option but you know, NoA doesnt gives a shit
>>
>>25357766
Found the Juan.
>>
>>25354165
/b/ here. Russia is absolute shit. :^)
>>
>>25357850
Nice try. But Latin America is a bigger market than lol Russia
>>
When they said "two languages" I was actually expecting Chinese and Russian.
>>
>>25354272
iQue 3DS is only for worst China.
Taiwan and Hongkong have the normal Nintendo 3DS
Thread replies: 96
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.