[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Hourly Reminder to all Gen 3 nerds
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /vp/ - Pokemon

Thread replies: 59
Thread images: 6
File: Series_gx_019.jpg (14 KB, 320x180) Image search: [Google]
Series_gx_019.jpg
14 KB, 320x180
It never ceases to make me smile how much people bitch about the Gen 3 remakes. You faggots have it good because if anyone grew up back during the original Gen 3 days you don't know what hell you had to go through to complete your pokedex

>A copy of Ruby, Sapphire, and Emerald version
>A copy of Fire Red and Leaf Green
>A Gamecube
>A Gameboy Advance/SP
>A transfer cable that connects from your handheld to your Gamecube
>Colliseum and Gale of Darkness since these were the only way to fill up your miss Johto Dex
>A PRE ORDERED COPY OF THE JAPANESE ONLY COLISEUM BONUS DISK OTHERWISE YOU'RE FUCKED OUTTA GETTING CELEBI FOR YOUR DEX
>Mother fucking Pokémon Channel because its was one of only 3 different ways to get a Jirachi transferred from your Gamecube to your Gameboy the hardest way being The E-Reader

You have any conceivable idea how much any of this cost? This is borderline almost a thousand dollars worth of material you need to buy to complete 1 GEN!

You never had bullshit like this in Gen 4
>>
Who the fuck cares? Gen 3 was fun and more varied than Gen 4, and Gen 4 still had shit like Manaphy forcing people to buy extras to complete the dex.

It is still a pain in the ass to finish anything even now.
>>
>>25296404

And people bitch about having to pay $5 a month for the Pokebank in case they run out of room in their PC or wanna transfer shit from Gen 4 and Gen 5 over to gen 6
>>
File: kang.jpg (9 KB, 265x204) Image search: [Google]
kang.jpg
9 KB, 265x204
>>25296380
>>A copy of Ruby, Sapphire, and Emerald version
>>A copy of Fire Red and Leaf Green
>>A Gamecube
>>A Gameboy Advance/SP
>>A transfer cable that connects from your handheld to your Gamecube
>>Colliseum and Gale of Darkness since these were the only way to fill up your miss Johto Dex
>Mother fucking Pokémon Channel because its was one of only 3 different ways to get a Jirachi transferred from your Gamecube to your Gameboy the hardest way being The E-Reader

all me
>>
>>25296380
You literally only needed the five gen 3 games to complete the dex anon between Emerald and FRLG every Johto mon was available.
Ho oh and Lugia were also events then dumbass.

Also until hgss came about you needed all eight to finish the dex because of that stupid dual slot idea.
>>
>>25296380
I managed it minus event Pokemon. They don't count towards the Dex anyway so who cares. Unless you were a friendless loser there was no reason to buy every version. I liked the challenge to fill the pokedex rather than just getting everything off the GTS. The only part of the gen 3 pokedex that pissed me off was Ho-oh. Seriously, fuck that.
>>
>>25296380
only autists completed the dex
>>
>>25296473
>The only part of the gen 3 pokedex that pissed me off was Ho-oh. Seriously, fuck that.
Ho-oh and Lugia were event mon dude.
>>
>>25296487
>He hasn't caught them all

MODS
>>
>>25296499
You got them in the GameCube games. Lug is was part of the story so no issue there. Ho-oh required you to win 100 straight battles with broken as fuck game mechanics
>>
>>25296509
They were still event pokemon that didn't count towards dex completion that gen.
You only needed to get them if you really wanted them.
>>
>>25296473

You can get a Ho-Oh if you beat the 100 stage battle tower in Colliseum.

You can also get Lugia in Gale of Darkness as your reward for the end of the game

The downside? You need to drain their heart gauges because they're shadow pokemon and until you do this you can't bring them with you
>>
>>25296519
Really? I remember having a blank space beside lugia in emerald and spending days raging over that mt battle shit. Maybe I'm getting it mixed up with with completing the Dex in D/P before the johto remakes came out.
>>
>>25296487
MODS MODS MODS
>>
>>25296380
The Hoennbabies aren't the ones complaining about the Gen III remakes.
>>
>>25296380
>>A PRE ORDERED COPY OF THE JAPANESE ONLY COLISEUM BONUS DISK OTHERWISE YOU'RE FUCKED OUTTA GETTING CELEBI FOR YOUR DEX

Or the anniversary event, the tour across America thing.
>>
I don't know what the point of this thread is, most people recognize that it's easy to get all Pokemon in Gen 6, the complaints are centered around content and difficulty.
>>
>>25296380
>implying the Mythicals are required for that Trainer Star
>>
>>25296380
>>A copy of Ruby, Sapphire, and Emerald version
>>A copy of Fire Red and Leaf Green
>>A Gamecube
>>A Gameboy Advance/SP
>>A transfer cable that connects from your handheld to your Gamecube
>>Colliseum and Gale of Darkness since these were the only way to fill up your miss Johto Dex
>>Mother fucking Pokémon Channel

But I had all of this. My edgy younger self just wanted Deoxys though. At least I got it 12 years later.
>>
>>25296380
>You never had bullshit like this in Gen 4

Not defended Gen 3 but..... In D/P you couldn't even get a pokemon with Cross Gen Evolution (Tangela)

D/P are shit Platinum top3 games
>>
>>25296487
>only autists completed the dex
Where the hell do you think you are?
>>
File: 6262252628738466361.jpg (20 KB, 401x240) Image search: [Google]
6262252628738466361.jpg
20 KB, 401x240
Still makes me feel great knowing i finished the hardest pokedex to date
>>
>>25296380
That's actually why I quit the dex and never bothered with it again. Gen 3 is one of the best if you just ignored that bullshit.
>>
>>25298214
and which one is that?
>>
FRLG should have had Ho-Oh and Lugia. Also anything Johto Pokemon in Emerald should have been available fully in FRLG. But aside from that, the GBA never had the hardware to transfer boxes at a time.

DS did not have the proper hardware and speed to transfer boxes of Pokemon between D/P/P/HG/SS. Gen 4's engine sucked so bad that there was no other way to transfer Pokemon than 2 DS's and a few at a time like GBA insertion.

They stopped using Gotta Catch Em All then but reused it in Gen 6 because the technology was right. GF knew the technology sucked until Gen 6.
>>
>>25296380
That's kind of the charm although it was annoying back then
>>
>was impossible to complete it upon release for several years
>>
>>25296686
Considering most of them are emereldcucks that whine, "muh BF", you are wrong.
>>
>>25296380
You only need Emerald, LeafGreen and the two Cube games to complete the Dex. Yes, it's still too much but not as bad as you want us to believe with your 'a copy of every gen III game'.
>>
>>25296380
Good thing I don't care about completing the Pokedex.
>>
>>25298614
MODS
>>
>>25296487
Reported
>>
>>25296521
Not Ho-oh, but you could only get it by purifying all the shadow pokemon. Even that annoying as hell to catch lvl 20 togetic.
>>
>>25296404
>was fun and more varied

Sure hope you are not talking about either the gameplay or the region.
>>
>>25296420
>a month
>>
>>25298557
Are you guys counting Celebi and Mew? Because some countries never got those events.

Personally I was only kissing Jirachi, Deoxys, Celebi and Mew in gen 3, but those were literally unobtainable in my country (only exception being if you happened to know someone who could travel overseas a lot.)
>>
>>25300349
Missing*
>>
And the movie made Jirachi out to be the best thing since sliced bread, I bet that made the japs furious.
>>
>>25296487
What the fuck did you just say to me you little shit?
>>
I remember when gen 4 came out, i had an action replay
I brought my DS to school with me and durring lunch I would spend my time trying to catch all 400 something pokemon by using the masterball # = pokemon # cheat
It took me like 1 week to get all of them.

To catch all the pokemon, you needed 2 original DS's and 2 versions of the game, + a copy of pokemon FR/LG and R/S/E or just have an action replay.
>>
>>25296487
You are aware this is a legit bannable offense on /vp/ right?
>>
>>25300349
No one counts event Pokemon because they don't count towards dex completion within the games.
>>
>>25296380
>le you have it good, back in MY day
Post discarded.
>>
>>25296380
Lol faggot, all you need is Omega Fire Red
>>
Most people just bought an Action Replay. I know I did.
>>
>>25302738
Why? What did you gain out of that.
>>
>>25302818
An action replay, apparently
>>
File: s3173.jpg (197 KB, 1172x358) Image search: [Google]
s3173.jpg
197 KB, 1172x358
>>25296487
>>
>>25296487
>Not wanting to catch them all
>Not being able to set up death battles between gods and man-made abominations
>Not wanting to make literally hundreds of fucking friends who'll care about you and listen to you and your troubles
>Not wanting that fucking diploma hanging on your bedroom wall telling you how you're on the same level as Professor Fucking Oak
Shit nigger, what the fuck is wrong with you?
>>
It was just as hard in gen 4 because you still couldn't get all the pokemon from old regions, plus you had to do events and the ds was incompatible with most routers
>>
IIRC, you only needed LeafGreen, Emerald, and the Gamecube games. All of the Ruby/Sapphire exclusives were in Gale of Darkness. Granted, you did need some means to send over extra copies of the starters and you had to play through LeafGreen Twice because of the godforsaken fossils.
>>
>>25296380
Good game
>>
>>25296887
This pissed me off to no end. Between D and P you could get pretty much all the Pokemon except for starters, legendaries, and... Tropius/Tangela.
>>
File: 1456264226220.jpg (48 KB, 720x720) Image search: [Google]
1456264226220.jpg
48 KB, 720x720
>>25296380
Why is Gen 3 the most unpopular series? The games were pure pokemon fun with some great music and designs.

The only reason I can come up with is fans of the GB games who were either mad about not being able to transfer or had grown out of the series.
>>
>>25303525
Maybe it's because of the shitty region design?
Or forgetable gym leaders?
Or the shitty champion?
Or the first of the stupid "you are the chosen one!" plots while also being the fucking worse?

Emerald was actually a pretty damn good entry all things considered. But judging by the sales, not as much players experienced it.
>>
>>25296420
$5/year beats the fuck out of trekking to NYC to buy the Pokemon Center exclusive Pokemon Box R&S for expanded storage and easy transfers between games.

>>25303037
>It was just as hard in gen 4 because you still couldn't get all the pokemon from old regions, plus you had to do events
This. Each gen completing the dex gets a bit harder.
Gen 1: 2 games + 1 event for Mew and the game calls your dex complete without it
Gen 2: 4 games + events for Mew and Celebi
Gen 3: Lotsa games, Gamecube + events
Gen 4: Gen 4 and 3 games + events
Gen 5: Gen 3-5 games + events
Gen 6: Are all gen 3 mons finally covered now or do you still have to transfer up from 3 to 4 to 5 to 6?

>the ds was incompatible with most routers
I don't know about fully incompatible, it worked with normal wifi so long as it wasn't G-only or WPA. This shit had my network on WEP 128 bit for ages though.

3DS and New3DS continue this trend by supporting only G. My network is usually on N-only because mixed-mode slows shit down.
>>
>>25303548
>Maybe it's because of the shitty region design?
What shitty design? It's one of the more memorable ones IMO, up there with Kanto, Johto and Sinnoh. The terrain and local flavor is much more varied than gens before it. Want to complain about region design, look at Unova, at least the original B/W version of it. If you unwrap the gameplay path it's a straight fucking line. Same in Kalos up to the Elite Four.

>Or forgetable gym leaders?
Somewhat. In my experience gen 1 had the most memorable gym leaders, then 2, 3... This might be more to do with everything having been all new to me in gen 1 and more old hat by gen 3.

>Or the shitty champion?
This. Gen 1 did this best. It builds up the rivalry between you and Gary throughout the game, with the anime on the side only adding to the image of him as a stuck-up asshole. Makes it so much more satisfying to kick his ass at the end.

>Or the first of the stupid "you are the chosen one!" plots while also being the fucking worse?
It's better than the old nonsensical plot of "You are 10, all boys have to leave home sometime, now here's a Pokemon, to trek across the country and fight the mafia."

>But judging by the sales, not as much players experienced it.
Well yeah. You don't really realize how huge the craze was in gen 1-2 times unless you lived through it. Then it started to die down as we got the fancy new GBA and had to wait years before there was any mainline Pokemon game for it. When R&S finally came, they disappointed us not because of the shit you listed but because...
-Can't transfer up Pokemon from gen 1-2. We expected not just upward transfers like we have now, but downward as well. Gen 1-2 did this, why can't the fancy new GBA?
-Can't go to a revamped and upgraded Johto and Kanto. Gen 2 managed 2 regions on 1 cartridge, and the GBA is that much more powerful but it can't?
-There's a clock but it doesn't do much. What happened to day/night cycles and Pokemon that only appear at certain times of day?
>>
File: 1456289560693.png (239 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
1456289560693.png
239 KB, 640x480
>>25303548
>Or the first of the stupid "you are the chosen one!" plots while also being the fucking worse?
I don't remember this

>Maybe it's because of the shitty region design?
You mean Kanto?

>Or forgetable gym leaders?
Just like every other generation, aside from MAYBE 5
>>
>>25303548
Okay then why doesn't Sinnoh get even more shit?
Thread replies: 59
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.