[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
DP was the sloppiest Pokemon game
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /vp/ - Pokemon

Thread replies: 58
Thread images: 2
File: diamond.jpg (14 KB, 200x179) Image search: [Google]
diamond.jpg
14 KB, 200x179
Slow speed, terrible Pokedex, unpolished region, 6 per day transfer limit at Pal Park, some Pokemon stuck in GBA insertion. Gliscor, Magmortar, and Electivire were only available through inserting Emerald, FR, and LG respectively. They didn't even have the decency to let players use Pal Park before post-game.

DP wasn't as great as it could have been. It did not live up to it's potential. Everything was weighed down by pointless limits and gimmicks.
>>
ORAS is sloppier.
>>
Yeah I think its universally agreed that D/P were terrible, even for the first games of the generation. People like to throw sales in your face whenever you bring it up, but no one knew how shit it would be before they bought it. Platinum tries to make up for it, but still has issues like horrendous save times.
It's aged just as bad if not worse than the gen 1 games, and at least they have an excuse.
>>
>>25259643
This was where GF started running out of ideas. 2 out of every 3 pokemon after this game were shit design and they really began over-extending the meta game. At least the region was comfy, unlike the following two.
>>
>>25259643
It's because they barely knew how to make a game on the DS.
They couldn't rely on gimmicks, so they had to write the best story of any gen instead.
I love DPP
>>
>>25259643
The Pokedex was specifically terrible because they decided to use the "see every Pokemon before you can unlock the national Pokedex" gimmick.

On the surface, this was a kind of cool nod to Gen 1's needing to catch a specific amount of pokemon to get more items. It encourages exploration and challenging other players.

Unfortunately, this inevitably restricted core aspects of gameplay, in that there were a huge amount of new pokemon released that the player just simply didn't encounter ingame, leading to repetitive battles and Elite 4 members using fucking Dustox
>>
>>25259677
Lucien had a fucking Girafarig.
>>
>>25259643
This man has the right idea. Platinum was what DP shouldve been but even Platinum is one of the weaker games in series.
>>
>>25259654
At least it feels playable. I made an attempt to play diamond about a week ago and couldn't even make it longer than an hour because the character and battles moved at a snails pace. I don't know how I made it through the first time.
>>
There was no reason to keep 17/22 of the cross evolutions to post-game. Completely inexcusable.
>>
>>25259654
but /vp/ told me ORAS saved gen 6...
>>
It did have one of the best looking box legendaries though.
>>
>>25259674
>so they had to write the best story of any gen instead.
>shitty rehash of RSE
>best
Oh you sinnohbabbies slay me.
>>
Ahh. Glad to see this thread.
>>
>mfw diamond is my favorite pokemon game, infernape is my favorite pokemon, and i'm a huge fag for gen 4 in general
>>
>>25261046
What are you, 18?
>>
>>25261053
actually yes
What do you want me to be? A 35 year old manchild?
>>
>>25259643
You haven't an idea what you've stumbled into
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gy0JMx1GpB4
>>
>>25261072
As much as I wanted super mystery dungeon to be good, the game was really just one disappointment after another.
>>
>>25261069
No, just makes sense that you would be nostalgic for the pokemon game you played at that age. I'm 24. DP came out when I was in high school.
>>
>>25261077
I loved it >.>
>>
>>25261077
It's music was amazing though
>>
>>25261079
maybe it's just the rose colored glasses, but I'll always defend gen 4
>>
>>25261099
>maybe it's just the rose colored glasses
it is
>>
>>25261069
>>25261099

I am 18 too and gen 4 is my favorite gen, but looking back I can understand why many people disliked it. DPP feels like it's simultaneously the best and worst gen. Like everything about it was either absolutely amazing or completely terrible with no in between.
>>
>>25261099
It's okay, I'm 22 and a rose-colored fag for gen 2, just own up to the fact that DP at least is utter shit, just like I'm obligated to own up to the fact that the leveling and distribution of gen 2 is awful.

Gen 4 being my least favorite gen makes me forever salty that gen 2 was remade in that gen unfortunately.
>>
The Sinnoh games have the most wasted potential of any trio. The idea of GBA games giving you extra pokemon is cool, the fact that you can't get them before getting the National Dex is stupid. The idea of the underground is cool but they blew it by not including wild pokemon and more content in general. The idea of adding a bunch of cross generation evolutions to "spice up" your old bros is neat but again too many are locked behind the national dex and even then the evolution methods are a pain in the ass. More like Glaceon, Leafeon, Magnezone and Probopass would have been cool.

>>25261079
>DP came out when I was in high school.

Same but I still like gen IV. Route 201 is one of the best themes in the entire series. Then again I tend to concentrate on the good parts of each generation and ignore the weaknesses.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WhpRw4iuDL0
>>
It's been downhill since Platinum.
>>
>>25261079
Im 24 too, it is a generacional gap because I think it's shit too.
Pearl is the only Pokémon game I got rid of because of how boring and slow it was, I did not like the fire being another Fire/Fighting either so, that's it.
>>
>create Glaceon
>use location-based evolution gimmick
>icy area of a region is always late in the game
>can never evolve your eevee into glaceon in a reasonable time
When will we have a frozen area before gym 4?
>>
The early games were a little too rough around the edges for my taste, but when Platinum came out in '08, I think that was when Pokemon came into its peak, commercially and artistically. The game offered a clear crisp soundtrack and a new sheen of animations and sprites, that really give the gameplay a big boost. It's been compared to HeartGold and SoulSilver but I think Platinum has a far more bitter, cynical sense of gameplay.
>>
>>25259643
>They didn't even have the decency to let players use Pal Park before post-game.

But... you could.
>>
>>25259654
this

>less content than emerald

who thought this was a good idea?

literally all they had to do was slap Battle frontier in the post game, they had one job and they fucked it up
>>
>>25261077
Are you kidding me? Super Mystery Dungeon is great. Good story, long, challenging, 720 pokes, huge world

I guess you're one of those "muh 2d graphics" otherwise you're just bullshitting
>>
>>25259643
ORAS is by far the worst pokemon game I've ever played
>>
>>25261558
Not without getting help. The only place you can see Spiritomb is Cynthia or when you catch it.
>>
>>25261242

I love that theme so much, but the best track IMO from DPP was the lake theme

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6PbnT0x0e5I
>>
>>25259643
You aren't allowed to insult DP here OP, all the kiddies on the board had it as their first videogame so they get mad whenever you say anything mean about it.

Especially if you so much as insinuate you like gen 1 more
>>
>>25262153
I really don't understand how people can like gen 1.
>>
>>25259643
It's soooooooo fucking slow. How can you even get anything done without raging? It's literally unplayable because instead of trying to increase playtime through adding content they seemingly halved the speed of every fucking thing.
>>
>Ride bike through area
>CHECKPOINT
>gotta walk to the end of the checkpoint now
>get on bike again
>>
>>25262190
we liked Gen 1 during Gen 1
>>
>>25259654
This
>>
>>25261558
You couldn't, you had to finish the game and then see every pokemon.
So there was a chance you couldn't even get to it immediately in the post game

On top of that it locked out some of the cross gen evos that were introduced and the only other game to do that was FRLG but even that game had a reason to do so. I mean, or was a shitty reason but still better than arbitrarily cutting then off without one at all.
Truly DP were the worst.
>>
Another major flaw with DP: RS had 80+ Secret Base layouts and some had two stories, Sinnoh had one layout. They were too lazy to make at least a few more layouts.

Whos the idiot who chose to give Lucian Girafarig over Gallade. I mean Flint using a Lopunny, thats lame and unfitting.
>>
>>25262345

The only way to get Gligar/Gliscor was to insert Emerald. But most people didn't buy Emerald. Plus you couldn't even get it on the GTS without seeing it.

How stupid is that? You make a new cross evo and 80% of the players can't access it or wouldn't know how to.
>>
>>25262347
Careful anon, you're going to summon the DP kiddies that try to justify all of the removed features.

That said secret bases were the worst in that game, gen 3 had some charm in it in the sense that where you made your base determined the layout and whether or not you needed things like planks to expand and you could even make your own mini gym.

Gen 4 was just a room and you had to grind in the underground for the ability to make a second one due to it relying on a consumable item to do so.
>>
>>25259643
Don't forget Tangela that had to be Pal Parked because D/P doesn't have wild Tangela. Or the garbage 'breed Mightyena/Houndoom to get Poochyena/Houndour because their pre-evos can't be found in the wild' that was introduced.
Seriously, everything that could go wrong went wrong with D/P.
>>
I have a question. Why did GF leave out so many cross evos until post-game?
>>
>>25262410
Gen 4 was the generation where GF was hit by a wave of mental retardation.
Which is why it brought over several features but slaughtered them
>>
>>25259643
Nah, diamond was one of the best games to come out. Deal with it.
>>
>>25259643
DP was ass Platinum was amazing

Thats why i have hopes for Z (or whatever), XY wasnt even half as bad as DP but it was lacking some good stuff. I believe they're able to fix it
>>
>>25262490
>platinum
>amazing
Yeah no, it still had a lot of the flaws of DP outside of that surf speed as well as a whole new slew of problems like the increased surf speed and dropping frames in the bigger cities like Hearthome.
>>
>>25262266
Thank god they fixed this in Platinum.
>>
Liked Sinnoh, decent and comfy design, if not basic. But i like Johto more.
>>
>>25262410
GF logic:
1) Cross-evos are a treat for devoted fans
2) Post-game content is a treat for devoted fans
3) Therefore, cross-evos should be post-game content
Result: We can deliver more post-game while producing less! It's a win-win!
>>
>>25259643
It's not worse than R/S.
>>
>>25262755
>removed and destroyed features and mechanics from RS
Gen 4 was shit.
Thread replies: 58
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.