[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What does Japan think of Smogon?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /vp/ - Pokemon

Thread replies: 117
Thread images: 5
File: smogon.png (12 KB, 580x110) Image search: [Google]
smogon.png
12 KB, 580x110
What does Japan think of Smogon?
>>
What is the Japanese meta game like?
>>
They don't
>>
Why would they care?
>>
>>25095682
Different. In one gen Heracross was banned.
>>
>>25095878
Tell me more, tell me more!
>>
>>25095679
They don't. Nearly literally every single popular nip nong meta is doubles, whereas nearly every popular smogon or other fanwank meta in the western world is singles. Entirely different.

Why do you think VGC is doubles? Because it isn't a stylistic choice.
>>
>>25095885
That's about all I remember. Most of what I know is from other threads on the subject.
>>
>>25095679
>Japanese player hears about this "Smogon" and looks it up
>finds site and then sees how their meta game works
>"Singles, huh?" then notices obvious tactics are not being taken advantage of
>he investigates, and finds "teh smogon rulez for pokeman battles."
>hysterical laughter
>shows friends "you gotta check these plebs out, it's hilarious"
>Smogon becomes an in joke for the Japanese pokemon community
>>
>>25096132
So.. kinda like how it is here in the west?
>>
>>25096228
Yeah except everyone over there thinks it's a joke and there nobody backs the smogtards up.
>>
>>25096235
>Yeah except everyone over there thinks it's a joke

Source plz. Your headcanon about japs magically agreeing with you doesn't count
>>
>>25096243
Oh here they come right on time
>>
>>25095679
Smogon is unofficial website.
>>
Conidering Japan dominated the fuck out of the world championships? An absolute joke

>>25095682
They are 99% focused on official rules. I don't think they've had anything resembling a fan meta since gen 4, Smogon could really learn from them but they are a cancerous hivemind

>>25096018
>I am literally clueless
Singles is most popular in Japan just like anywhere, they just play the official singles meta
>>
>>25095682
Suicunes in every team
>>
Why is /vp/ always so butthurt about smogon?
If you prefer the VGC rules for some reason why don't you just play with them instead.
>>
Dont know about OU but I do know that Japan plays 3vs3 (Battle Spot ranked) the most, because it's the official meta for singles.

On the Battle Spot section in Smogon forum theres a japanese guy (from japan) called nouthuca that provided us the pokemon usage in each season of Battle Spot based on the player rankings.
>>
>>25096497

I really don't get it either. It's an optional ruleset that literally does not impact you at all unless you want to play with their community.

I do wish doubles were more popular but that's not a Smogon problem, just a competitive pokemon problem.
>>
>>25096497
people gotta complain about somthing
>>
what is the japanese equivalent of smogon?
>>
>>25096250
Answer the question faggot.
>>
Global link proves smogon rules work for 6v6 but in 3v3 anything goes.
>>
>>25096451
>official singles meta
What, you mean 3v3 singles? Garbage.

Also keeping most of the mythics banned is retarded. They're not even close to OP.
>>
>>25096860
>They're not even close to OP.
The issue is availability not power.
>>
>>25096759
some board on 2ch
>>
>>25096860
The reason they do 3v3 singles over 6v6 singles is the reason Japanese fans prefer playing with half-decks over full 60-card decks; time.
>>
nintendo rules are shit
they don't play lvl100 singles 6v6 because of
>muh time constraints!
literally all you need to know about their "competitive" mindset
>>
>>25096565
>literally does not impact you at all
That's where you're wrong. I want the real competitive scene to grow and Smogon building a fanbase playing unofficial rules on an unofficial simulator is hurting it badly outside of Japan. There's nothing wrong about fan rules but it should not be the focus of the biggest competitive site, especially in an age where real life tournaments and eSports are quickly becoming a huge thing.

I put half the blame on Smogon for being behind the times and half the blame on Showdown for being so accessible that it's full of newfags and casuals who don't own the real game
>>
>>25097002
or because 6v6 has just literally never been intended as a competitive format, even since gen 1
>>
>>25097017

Well that's what people enjoyed and decided to play. You're basically saying "these unofficial rules are way too popular" which makes no sense. It's not like GF doesn't do well promoting their own stuff in great ways anyway. If you don't want to hear too much about smogon, you're best bet is to just stick to in-game. VGC and battle spot are fun metas that get tons of promotion.You're rarely ever gonna find any serious smogon players on there. Saying "this is too popular because it's unofficial" is just stupid. I'm sorry that you feel it's too popular, but that's just the way it is. People can play however they want, so I don't see why that should have a serious effect on you, unless you're not focused at all on the way you play, but more on how everyone else plays.
>>
>>25097071

And in the context of finding serious smogon players, I meant in-game 6v6, not battle spot or VGC. Tons of smogon players play those
>>
>>25097017

What's wrong with people not owning the game again? I must have forgotten. I've owned every game since gen 3, but that's just a dumb way of thinking
>>
>>25097017
Have you considered Smogon has such a large focus in the West because their meta is legitimately better and more balanced, and the only reason Japan has VGC is because Smogon is an english site?
>>
>>25097102
And PewDiePie's content is legitimately great.
>>
>>25097113
I don't see how a metagame that creates its banlist based on competitive results and emergent trends the same way say, a TCG creates their banlist, is worse than a format where the banlist is extremely arbitrary based on in-game semantic conditions like legendary versus mythical pokemon.

And yes, I understand what you're implying, but you're doing the same thing by implying that because VGC is the official format it must be the inherently better one.
>>
>>25097113
>suggesting that sleep clause is a bad thing
before sleep got nerfed in g6, spore was somewhat strong. 100% chance to hit on relatively fast pokemon and no limit on how many you can put.
>>
Average japanese competitive player is completely unaware of Smogon's existence. Gamefreak probably is, but doesn't really care.
>>
>>25097141
Because Smogon's banlist is arbitrary on its own, and hypocritical on top of that.
>>
>>25097217
>hypocritical
In what way.

Let me guess, ass blasted blaziken/greninja fag that can't handle that complex bans don't get given to individual pokemon.
>>
>>25097217
lol butthurt skymin fan
>>
>>25097264
anon I don't there is anyone on this planet that thinks skymin is acceptable anywhere but ubers.
>>
>>25097244
>promises not to have any complex bans
>"We don't want to ban Baton Pass altogether, better make a complex ban"
>>
>>25097314
>promises not to have any complex bans
*on pokemon

Drizzleswim was the first complex ban by the way
>>
>>25096243
I mean competitive pokemon in itself is a joke.
>>
Japan would laugh about what sort of pathetic scrubs Smogon are.
>>
>>25097275
They unbanned skymin in smogon doubles.
Then they banned gravity to balance skymin.
>>
>>25097314
Don't forget prankster swagger
>>
>>25097459
>They unbanned skymin in smogon doubles.
and this is why smogon doubles is shit. No one takes it seriously.

>>25097495
Just swagger.
>>
We wouldn't need smogon if playing on cart wasn't tedious as fuck.
>>
I have nothing against the idea of smogon they try to balance singles unlike gamefreak which in itself is a noble goal.
O do have a problem with how hypocritical they are in their ruilings, like banning shadow tag when the problem was goth and not wobb.
Or how they completely went back on their decision to treat megas and base forms as the same Mon at the start of the gen.
Their fans are also irritating little cunts who the moment they realize their argument is flawed go into full ad hominem and appeal to authority mode.
>>
>>25096018
Because doubles matches are faster.
>>
>>25097102
>Smogon has such a large focus in the West because their meta is legitimately better and more balanced

HAHAHAHHAAHHAHAAHA. SIDF is here
>>
>>25097874
The problem with only banning Goth is that people would go after le 200 turn loli instead, which is still cancerous, despite being less bulky. Still, I agree Wobbuffet didn't deserve to get dragged in, but it's not like that many people used it in OU anyway.
>>
>>25096018
They're doubles because singles is the most limiting format in Pokemon. Honestly, they should be triples. There are moves that have no use in singles while being great in doubles and triples, while all moves that are usable in singles can also be used in doubles/triples. Also, you're coordinating 2/3 attacks as opposed to one, allowing you to pull off deeper strategies and learn to priortize which Pokemon need to be able to fire off a move.
>>
>>25098016
But that kind of mentality is like blaziken with speed boost but with the opposite outcome. The complete inconsistency behind their rulings is baffling.
>>
File: 1453609197417.jpg (86 KB, 384x288) Image search: [Google]
1453609197417.jpg
86 KB, 384x288
>>25096761
Olol
>>
My problems with smogtards are two; they have a smug sense that their meta game is objectively superior, and they assume that you're playing it regardless of whether or not you agreed to outside of showdown and then flip their shit when you use a Sablswag or sleep more than one of their mons. Bitch, I don't play smogon, why would you assume I do?
>>
What's the reason why Smogonfags are the most cancerous people related to Pokemon? Is it because Smogon is a pedophile ring?
>>
>>25098453

I'm sorry that the 1% of smogon players that play on WiFi oppressed u in such a way.

No but seriously dude, serious smogon players dont play on WiFi for the most part, most people doing that are smogon casuals. I'm on showdown a lot and dgaf about what anyone else plays and just do us, hence why we're on showdown in the first place. So to say all smogon players are like that isn't true
>>
>>25098512
They are the most numerous so just like cancer you don't notice how bad it is until its everywhere and in your face.
>>
>>25098530
Wifi? Shit man I'm talking about IRL. Shit's been happening since high school.
>>
>>25098453

Kek. You'll rarely see many serious smogon players on WiFi anymore. Most players that play by smogon rules still on WiFi, frankly, aren't very good.
>>
>>25098542
The fuck you don't tell them that you don't play by smogon rules before battling then?
>>
>>25098542
Any time I play IRL, I just ask upfront what ruleset they prefer. If they say Smogon "insert tier here" I just bring what's "Smogon Legal." If they don't specify, I just bring whatever. It helps that a lot of pokemon sets are simply "standard" and cross over between metagames relatively smoothly.

Scizzor is a pretty good example of a universal pokemon. What set can a scizzor run that breaks the rules of any of the current "official" or "unofficial" metagames? NB4 double team, because nobody wasting a moveslot on that because it's very inefficient.
>>
>>25098583
I shouldn't have to, it shouldn't be assumed that fan rules are the standard because they're fuckingfan rules. If anything they should ask if I'm down for a smogon fight, which honestlyI have some backup mons ready to accommodate just such people should they ask.
>>
>>25098606
I'm sorry that the standard for single 6v6 is an unofficial meta due to game freak not providing one.
>>
>mom, people play videogames different than me
>>
>>25098606
>Not being considerate enough to ask first.

Seriously, I'm not exactly smogon's #1 fanboy, but I still ask what a player's battle preference is. It's honestly just a courtesy thing. Nothing wrong with courtesy.

I don't care that you "shouldn't have to." You do it out of respect for your opponents comfort zone...then you kick their ass in battle and knock them out of the comfort zone.
>>
>>25098630
Honestly, if GF would just support 6v6, that would solve a fair chunk of issues. Not all of them of course, but at least people would find a comfort zone to play in, whether that'd be Showdown or Official Cart 6v6.
>>
>>25098512
>most cancerous
that title belongs to furfags, followed by barafags, Eeveelutionfags and Gardeviorfags in that order

Smogonfags are just annoying, hypocritical crybabbies
>>
>>25098630
>>25098661

Gamefreak does have a meta, basically no cover legendaries and most mythics banned.

The reality is that smogon is not the standard. Why am I expected to be the one to ask first if the rules you're assuming are in place are abitrary fan rules some people don't even know?
>>
>>25098322
The difference is that Blaziken was a heavy-offense Pokemon that gets progressively faster while Combusken is just shit for that purpose, Gothitelle's only use was to PP stall you with Trick and Shadow Tag, something Gothorita can also do, despite having less bulk.
>>
>>25098707
Yeah....the meta is singles 6v6, pick 3. And that's fine. I like that meta, but I prefer a true 6v6 battle.
I know I can fight random's on the cart that way, but I'd prefer a ranked 6v6 so I can fight players with some semblance of skill. There needs to be a 6v6 matchmaking system in place.
Every other battle I have on cart is either me bodying a 12 year old, a fight against all legends and me still winning because the opponent is still shit, or me winning and "communications getting interrupted." It's frustrating. And there's no immediate gratification or no way to simply "hop into a battle" I gotta search one out and hope someone responds. If someone rage-quits showdown, at least it only takes a second to get a new battle, not 5 minutes.
>>
>>25098754
No, they do have a 6v6 meta. It follows the same rules, it's just less supported online because the assumption is if you're looking to get quick paired then you're looking for a quick game.
>>
>>25098707
>smogon is not the standard

...it kinda is man. Just based on how many people assume you're playing by it.
>>
>>25098767
...Where do I find it? I'd play it. I'm on battle spot right now and all is see is 3v3 singles, 4v4 doubles, triple battle and rotation battle. Where's the official 6v6 singles located?
>>
File: Dream Ball Aegislash.jpg (8 KB, 251x223) Image search: [Google]
Dream Ball Aegislash.jpg
8 KB, 251x223
>>25096897

>Bans based on availability fairness
>In a game where the the most efficient way to get competitive Pokemon, especially legendaries, is to fucking hack them in. Any serious usage of Hidden Power is definitely hacked.

The official rules are a bad joke that would be ignored at best and insulted at worst if they were just a fan format.
>>
>>25098776
Smogon has a lot of players, but is relatively niche comparedto the rest of the playerbase. The trouble is that if they ARE a smogon player, they assume everyoneelse is. They're hardly the standard, but they think that they are.
>>
>>25098790
Physical leagues where you sit with other people in person.

That's probably not the answer you wantedbut that's how it goes down.
>>
>>25098828
Aren't physical leagues either custom or under predetermined rulesets that you would have to know to enter?
>>
So why did they choose the name smogon anyway?
>>
>>25095679
>stupid waito piggus can't puray pokketo monsturs raito so they makeu baka gaijin rures for their baka gaijin mindos!
>>
>>25098838
Some are, but there are those who follow nintendo official banlists in standard 6v6.
>>
>>25098850
Not sure of the reasoning, but I do know that "smogon" is the German pronunciation for "Koffing." That's why koffing is the mascot.

Maybe it's because they knew that Smogon would literally be toxic to the community, so they picked a name that would match the themes of Pokemon, Nazi Elitism, and Poison.
>>
The problem is that every Smogonfag ever thinks that everyone should play Pokemon their way, even though their way is objectively cancerous and toxic. There is no such thing as a Smogonfag who isn't self-centered, egotistical, close-minded, elitist and hypocritical. All of them are scum.
>>
File: 1453503047803.gif (1 MB, 540x540) Image search: [Google]
1453503047803.gif
1 MB, 540x540
>>25098897
I agree with you for the most part, but dial the salt back a little.
>>
>>25098897
...And your attitude is no better than the way you described the people you criticized. I'm sorry but your argument became invalid as soon as you started to generalize people. It's this attitude coming form both sides of argument that is causing such a split in the first place.

For the love of Christ people, just play your own damn game. If you meet someone who plays differently, and imposes those views on you, just play to their rules and kick their ass in the process, but be humble about it. Don't let it get to you.
>>
>>25095682
Substitute Swagger Aerodactyl, Toxic Venoshock Scolipede
>>
>come in here to learn a little about the japanese pokemon community
>a bunch of fags arguing about a fag website.

please kill yourselves.
>>
>>25098949
We already know that the japanese Pokemon community plays the official metas because official metas are superior to unofficial metas like Smogon's fanfiction metas. Frankly, I hope that one day singles is viewed as a loser's activity in the entire community, forcing Smogon to abandon singles if they want to retain even the slightest amount of respect after all of the arbitrary bannings and the fact that they allowed pedophiles to become mods.
>>
>>25098971
Would your views on singles change if GF actually gave it proper support?
>>
>>25098931

>and kick their ass in the process

how is it in the naivety dimension

>boy i sure can't wait to play a 250 turn battle with epic hazards winning me the game, that'll show them who's boss, now we're best friends
>>
>caring about smogon
>hur swagger is op because some 14 year old from Hungary says so

kill yourself
>>
>>25098981
Maybe, but that will never happen since we know that doubles are simply better than singles, something that Smogon will never understand.
>>
>>25098931
You're honestly naive if you think that humility will teach these scrubs a lesson.
>>
>>25098984
>250 turn battle.

Dayumm son, you must be playing some serious stall to last that long.

Most of my battles are usually 15-about 30 turns. It'll maybe creep into the low 50's or 60's if we end up in an ultra Stall v Stall situation. But that's kind of rare.

Also, yeah hazzards are pretty common. I won't argue that. But hey, free damage is free damage. Also, I don't know where that trope stems from. A lot of my teams don't have a focus on keeping hazzards up.
>>
>>25098984
Have you ever played a 250 turn battle?
It drags a bit, but if you actually enjoy the game it's quite interesting.
>>
>>25099001
Eh...I probably am. But hey, at least I'm not salty about it. You guys can keep arguing Smog vs. Standard, and I'll just sit on the sidelines and watch what unfolds.

In the mean time, I'll have teams ready to battle anyone. I have stall teams, hazzard focused teams, Doubles/VGC focused teams, gimmicks, Evasion abusers, Straight offensive damage dealers, Set-up, Anti-Set up, you name it.
I'll take you all on, and be ready for ANY ruleset you wish to impose on the battle. Will I win?...Hell, I don't know. It's pokemon. Anything could happen. But I'll be ready, that's for damn sure.
>>
>people still argue that VGC is superior to Smog6v6 on the sole merit that it's official
>after last year's championship

Wew lad. Maybe you should think critically about what actually makes a good metagame rather than blindly siding with what's official regardless of quality.
>>
>>25099098

*uses swagger*
>>
>>25097102
you sound like someone who drank the entire damn pitcher of kool-aid
>>
>>25097017

That's like arguing for a Pepsi monopoly because the Cola wars offend you.
>>
>>25099098
>wew lad

This needs to stop. Vomiting meme responses does not make you right.
>>
>>25098993

Here comes the autism...
>>
>Bulbapedo are STILL calling the episode "Satoshi and Serena! Catch One at the Dance Party!!"
>even after it aired and nobody caught anything
>>
>>25099098

There's one thing I can agree on. No matter the format, we should remove genies.
>>
>>25098994
>doubles are simply better than singles

Dank af opinion
>>
>>25098804
>He can't into Hidden Power breeding

Point and laugh, anons
>>
>>25095679
>>25095679
It bans dark void darkrai so japs would hate smogon.

Dark void is is jap shits only strategy and they all quit as soon as you magic bounce it back on them
>>
>>25101778
>my opinion is better than yours.

Nice autism faggot
>>
>>25099903

being an edgy 4channer doesn't make you right either you fucking disgusting shit-eating faggot
>>
>>25102875
Agree. That guy is a huge faggot and an ebin lee jun ananymoose his whole life is this shit site lol
>>
>>25102783
My life is fun and exciting and actually worth living, unlike yours...
>>
>>25097448

your headcanon is strong, my friend
>>
>>25095679

>Japanese players are so fucking good, god, I masturbate to Japan so hard I'm sure they're not scrubs at all

This thread smells strong to weaboo
>>
>>25103036
>browse /vp/
>fun and exciting life
choose one
Thread replies: 117
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.