[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Opinions on Fire Red? I've never played Red, and I'm
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /vp/ - Pokemon

Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 2
Opinions on Fire Red?

I've never played Red, and I'm not sure whether I should play the original or the fire red remake.
>>
They're different games.
I'd play both if I were you.
>>
The remake is just like the original, but better. That isn't hard though since Kanto is the worst region anyways.
>>
>>25064291
It's good but I like the original for nostalgia reasons.
>>
>>25064291
Honestly the original is only good for nostalgia or curiosity, if you just want the better game, it's definitely the remake.
>>
The only reason to play the original is to say you've played the original.

Or if you just really don't like the GBA's music.
>>
>>25064291
Play red whenever you get a chance, it's really short and easy, even for a pokemon game, but it's a classic.
That said
>fire red
>special split
>a lot of postgame content
>fixed the numerous bugs in red
>kept the spirit of the game
>objectively better tileset than RSE
>>
>>25064344
>special split
wat
>>
>>25064363
The distinction between Special and Physical attacks that the previous generations didn't have.
In RBY and GSC it was based on the type of attack, and after it was applied to the attack itself. Before, Thunder Punch was a Special Attack, after, it was Physical.
>>
>>25064516
4th gen made the split you know.
>>
>>25064363
>>25064516
No, I'm talking about the special stat split. In red, special was 1 stat which turned pokemon like gengar into weird pseudo-walls and made chansey a decent offensive pokemon. That got taken out in GSC, and isn't in Fire Red.
the physical/special split not being in RSE and FRLG is the hardest part about replaying the games IMO
>>
>>25064516
That did not happen until Gen 4.
>>
>>25064528
There is a hack to add it in.
>>
It's a fine of but the lack of Non-Kanto Pokemon in the post game is rather disappointing
>>
>>25064297
>>25064344
This. Play either, Play both. FR has more content and fancier graphics but no Pokemon fan has an excuse to not play RB.

>>25064363
>>25064516
>things children don't know
In gen 1 there's only one Special stat. Gen 2 and later gens split them into Special Attack and Special Defense.
>>
>>25064537
Yeah, but it's not in the base game. If OP picked up the VC release in a few months, or just played the game as-is, he'd have to deal with the special stat being as pants-on-head retarded as it was in the old game.
>>
>>25064522
>>25064534
I keep forgetting that. I always fall back on thinking it happened at the same time.
>>
>>25064301
>worst region
>not Hoenn

You've got a lot to learn, son
>>
>>25064587
Hoenn is far better than Kanto. the only one close to being as bad as Kanto is Sinnoh.
>>
>>25064604
Shit taste confirmed. Go back to Roxanne's academy.
>>
>>25064611
Kanto is literally worse than shit taste. If you really believe Kanto is better than Hoenn, then do the world a favor and kill yourself.
>>
>>25064528
>the physical/special split not being in RSE and FRLG is the hardest part about replaying the games IMO
I disagree. Much like playing RBYGSC, half the fun of older Pokemon games is relearning and adjusting to all the weird different mechanics
>Gen 2 Ledian tearing shit up with IcePunch/ThunderPunch
>Gen 1 Farfetch'd getting infinite crits with Slash
>Gen 1 Venuasur's Toxic/Leech Seed combo
>Hyper Beam+Shadow Ball on your speedy Physical mon
>>
File: 1372216952136.jpg (367 KB, 800x800) Image search: [Google]
1372216952136.jpg
367 KB, 800x800
>>25064630
>Hoenn

Really anon?
>>
>>25064604
>>25064630
I like Kanto, but it's basically only good in the fact that it's so simple. Kind of like a nostalgia thing. The rest of the regions all have more going on with their culture, environment, aesthetics, or myths to give them more of a sense of identity.
>>
>>25065497
There's literally nothing wrong with trumpets.
>>
>>25064291
Music is its weak point, flawless otherwise.
>>
>>25065517
This. I like the future generations, and even Kanto isn't my overall favorite, the simplicity is refreshing to go back to every now and again.
>>
Original red was busted garbage that doesn't hold up at all. The Firered remake is timeless.
>>
>>25067826

Pretty much this. FRLG don't get enough love, I feel like they are overlooked and I've heard people say they are "boring" which I don't understand. I've played through them countless times, like I've literally put hundreds if not thousands of hours into them. I'm doing a mono poison type run right now.
Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.