[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Name a better rival. Protip: you can't.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /vp/ - Pokemon

Thread replies: 50
Thread images: 7
File: based.png (48 KB, 150x393) Image search: [Google]
based.png
48 KB, 150x393
Name a better rival. Protip: you can't.
>>
>>25045771
Barry.
>>
>>25045775
And why is that?
>>
>>25045803
Because fuck you that's why.
>>
>>25045771
Blue and Barry are still the best rivals.
>>
>>25045803
>Sasuke Uchiha in Pokemon

Barry had a personality and didn't try to take things stupidly serious like this edgelord. Barry could be goofy, lovable, and fearsome all at once. Unforgettable, too.
>>
>>25045803
because he's cute
>>
File: lyra tease.jpg (234 KB, 500x650) Image search: [Google]
lyra tease.jpg
234 KB, 500x650
>>25045771

Daddy issues was fine
>>
>>25045771
>liking the edgelord
shit taste confirmed, silver and barry are best rivals
>>
>TOP TIER
Silver, Barry
>HIGH TIER
Blue, Hugh

can't be assed to divide up any of the others at the moment
>>
File: bestrival.jpg (19 KB, 455x600) Image search: [Google]
bestrival.jpg
19 KB, 455x600
>>25045771
Green>Pearl>Silver. Literally no other rivals worth being compared to these 3.
>>
>>25046052
pearl?
>>
>>25046064
He means Barry. He's just using their manga names.
>>
>>25046048
Barry was probably the best rival, since he had some development to his already pretty good character, a good team, and he seemed like a real rival. Silver is second to him, since he had some development to his character too (mostly in HGSS, but whatever) and a good team, I don't care too much for asshole rivals though.
>>
>>25046045

>Shitting on Hugh for being and Edgelord
>liking Silver

I like him too but come on, he is the biggest edgelord.
>>
File: HughsSister.jpg (240 KB, 679x725) Image search: [Google]
HughsSister.jpg
240 KB, 679x725
How the hell did the rival with the edgelordiest design ever and lines like "You're gonna feel my rage" somehow end up being the bro-est of bros?
Come to think of it, I don't think he whined even once about not being able to beat me.
>>
>>25045957
This. Blue was a cocky dick but he was also your friend, while Barry had tons of personality. All the other rivals tend to just be bland.
>>
>>25046321
>I don't think he whined even once about not being able to beat me.

One of the best reasons I like Hugh.
>>
File: 1452868542960.jpg (73 KB, 495x636) Image search: [Google]
1452868542960.jpg
73 KB, 495x636
>silver never evolved haunter into Gengar because he has no friends
>>
>>25046331
Refresh my memory..When did blue ever show an act of friendship?
>>
This dude was fucking retardedly edgy and over a fucking cat
>>
>Hear his sob story about Team Plasma stealing his sister's Purrloin
>Think "Dude, there's literally nothing but Purrloins right outside of town. Catch another and be done with it."
>Team Plasma straight-up says exactly this
>Think "FINALLY, SOMEONE ACTUALLY ADDRESSES THE OBVIOUS SHIT"
>Hear rest of the story about Purrloin
>Feel bad
>>
>buzzwords: the thread
>>
>>25046341

He did give you the Fame Checker, for those who cared about dumb shit like that.
>>
>>25046321
IIRC the sister's purloin is his dead grandfather's I can really relate to that also he's voiced by Goku in the trailer
>>
>>25045967
Did you play BW2? Hugh is a fucking bro.
>>
>>25045967
Barry and Hugh are opposites it's hard to compare them
>>
>>25045771
He never shuts up about that purrloin. How can you even like him? He's right up there with barry for the most annoying rival IMO
>>
>>25046896
Sorry, i forgot to take gen 6 into consideration. Ginger midget and his companion, the dancing doughnut. Those were some annoying little bitches
>>
I liked Cheren and Bianca together best, but in terms of single rivals, yeah, Hugh is top notch.
>>
Gary always spurred me on. He was an asshole but it was like he wanted a friend to challenge him at each step along the adventure.
>>
File: image.jpg (29 KB, 292x257) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
29 KB, 292x257
>>25046335
>mfw he did in the remakes
>>
Blue without question. Blue and red actually seem to have a complex relationship. All the other rivals are either one dimensional edgemasters who want to be teh stronkest trainer! or one dimensional tutorial-tier friendly friends who just pop up here and there and say 'hey remember me, we're friends? Let's battle I have to test you lolololol. K bai.'

Blue is actually portrayed as both respecting of red, and insecure around him because he feels inferior to him, and compensating outwardly by the way he talks to him. It comes off as dickishness but it's really just a projection of his insecurity. I'd actually consider blue to be the most interesting and compelling character in any of the main series games completely.
>>
>>25045967
Hugh's hardly an edgelord. You're calling him Sasuke because he has the same hair and eye color and because of the animated trailer. Hugh's just a bro older brother who really cares for his younger sister. He's a bit cocky and over-anxious, but that doesn't fit the Sasuke stereotype of "heh, I'm too cool" at all.
>>
>>25047418
>Blue is actually portrayed as both respecting of red, and insecure around him because he feels inferior to him, and compensating outwardly by the way he talks to him. It comes off as dickishness but it's really just a projection of his insecurity. I'd actually consider blue to be the most interesting and compelling character in any of the main series games completely.

Major lol it seems you read too many fanfics. Blue is just a mean, cocky kid. Thats all there is to it. Nothing deep
>>
>>25047443
some of Blue's (Green's?) postgame dialog, like in the phone calls and stuff, in HG/SS suggests otherwise
>>
>>25047493
Yeah it suggest he's bitter about losing championship after 5 minutes. So what?
>>
I like Barry and Blue, but Silver's my favorite for being the first to have actual character development.

>starts out as a shadow-tier edgelord constantly in denial about being at fault for his losses
>treats his pokemon like shit cause his dad treated him like shit
>wonders why his stupid pokemon won't win battles for him
>through battling with you and seeing your fighting spirit standing up to Team Rocket and fearlessly conquering the league, he realizes that maybe his way isn't the best after all
>last time you fight him before the E4 he has a golbat
>that fight serves as his breaking point and he finally accepts that he should treat his Pokemon better, love and respect them
>then you fight him at Mt Moon and his Golbat evolved into Crobat (a friendship evolution)

I really like Silver.
>>
>>25046230
but he changed through the game. at the end he wants to give back the pokemon he stole, and teams up with you to defeat lance and clair
>>
>>25047443

>"Hey, guess what? I went to Bill's and got him to show me his rare Pokémon! That added a lot of pages to my Pokédex! After all, Bill's world famous as a PokéManiac! He invented the Pokémon Storage System on PC! Since you're using his system, go thank him! Well, I better go rolling! Smell ya later!"

Sounds like he's sincerely being friendly here and not dickish in the least. He's even accepting of his loss and for the first time not making excusing or brushing it off; "whoah take it easy! You won already!"

>"Bonjour! <player>! Imagine seeing you here! <player>, were you really invited? So how's your Pokédex coming? I already caught 40 kinds, pal! Different kinds are everywhere! Crawl around in grassy areas!"

This is on the SS Anne, again not being a dick and indeed offering advise. go actually play game maybe and check back into this thread.
>>
>>25047629
Yeah, because he's not an ENEMY, he's a neighbour. He's a friendly yet mean and cocky kid. You're really clutching at straws to prove Blue is some complictaed character. He isnt
>>
>>25047643
>He's friendly yet mean

Earlier you stated (I assume this was you)

>Blue is just a mean cocky kid, that's all there is to it.

So is he just mean or is he 'friendly yet mean'?

>You're really clutching at straws to prove Blue is some complictaed character. He isnt

I'm not 'clutching at straws' I'm providing evidence from the source material to support my interpretation. Blue is not 'mean' to red at any point in the game except arguably when he says "I'll tell her not to give you one". That depends on how you interpret it. If he's being serious, yeah he is being mean in this instance, if he just has an abrasive sense of humor and is being more sarcastic then it's not really being mean.

Before you even battle him for the first time he is at his most arrogant and confident in his superiority over you. You acts entitled and impatient toward his grandfather. He makes excuses for his losses during the first 2 or 3 battles, then more or less accepts losing while still trying to blow it off before finally accepting it fully after you defeat him for the final time. I'm not saying he's some Shakespearean character study I'm saying there is a lot more to him than the throw-away characters typical of the series.
>>
File: usagirei.png (281 KB, 500x374) Image search: [Google]
usagirei.png
281 KB, 500x374
>>25047748
You need to spot a deifference between "mean" (which means he like's to tease you and show he's better than you) from "evil". He's not evil, he's friendly in that sense he's not seriously standing in your way to harm you, he's not an enemy, yet he likes to show you you're not as good as him

If you dont know what "friendly mean" means i guess you dont have siblings and not even watching any anime
>>
>>25045771
>>25045771

I'd barely call Hugh a rival.

For one, he gave no fuck about the Pokemon League and was doing his own thing.

He only fights you 3 times throughout the entire game (minus postgame) and two of those times were just to make sure you were strong enough for Team Plasma/Elite Four.

So in actuality, every rival is better than Hugh because they actually do the rivaling part of being a rival.
>>
>>25046341

Pretty much every single time. The only time he acted like a dick (if you want to even call it that) was the Champion battle and that was more of a pop off because he beat the E4 before you did.
>>
>>25046052
Green is never your rival though. I think you mean blue
>>
>>25048210
Blue's Japanese name is Green. Mangafags go with the jap name because Blue is a different character.
>>
>nobody ever talks about cheren being a good rival
Why?
>>
>>25048229
I know, I was passive-aggressively making fun of the weeab
>>
>>25047837
>For one, he gave no fuck about the Pokemon League and was doing his own thing.
>He only fights you 3 times throughout the entire game (minus postgame) and two of those times were just to make sure you were strong enough for Team Plasma/Elite Four.
>So in actuality, every rival is better than Hugh because they actually do the rivaling part of being a rival.

I could agree with this, actually. Hugh is not a worse character than the other rivals, but he's much less of a rival.
Thread replies: 50
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.