[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is using "he" or "she" to describe a Pokémon
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /vp/ - Pokemon

Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 3
File: 1450824244465.png (117 KB, 320x263) Image search: [Google]
1450824244465.png
117 KB, 320x263
Is using "he" or "she" to describe a Pokémon incorrect?

Like for example, Mewtwo is genderless but I cannot bring myself to call him by "it".
>>
>>24930583
Yes.
>>
File: Perfection.png (182 KB, 568x626) Image search: [Google]
Perfection.png
182 KB, 568x626
Just follow your heart.
>>
>>24930591
It
>>
>>24930671
Doesn't feel "right"
>>
>>24931036
Calling Mewtwo or Arceus a "Male" or "Female".
Is incorrect.
>>
How about pokemon with 100% definite genders?
Like Latias, or Gallade?
>>
>>24930583
It's just habit. Have you ever met someone who actually has pronoun preferences? It's completely impossible to stick to them for years of habit.
>>
>>24930583
Unless it's something like Jynx, Kanga, Miktank, or a Nido.
>>
>>24930583
It's always 'it', regardless of gender. Even for Pokémon that can only be a specific gender. There are scans of some marketing book flying around stating that.
>>
>>24930583
He for males
She for females
It for genderless or whose genders you dont know.

Its not hard, really.

>but I cannot bring myself to call him by "it".
Its bits of data in a game, not an actual being.
>>
>>24931334
How do smash bros fans adress to Pokémon ? Never seen anyone refer to Pikachu as a "it" personally.
>>
>>24930583
usually He to describe a genderless legendary

even if it looks girly
>>
>>24930583

the only reason I refer to mewtwo as a boy is because of his voice in those two movies
>>
>>24930583
Mewtwo's egg group is Undiscovered.
So we just don't know.
>>
>>24930591
Goodra is so cute
People should understand by now that the only poorly designed psuedo is Salamence
>>
>>24931352
Jigglypuff is she
Ivysaur is she for PMfags
Everyone else is he
>>
File: fennekin2.gif (2 MB, 500x250) Image search: [Google]
fennekin2.gif
2 MB, 500x250
>>24930583
"It" is the absolute correct but it's okay to assign gender pronouns though someone will inevitable get triggered sooner ou later. It also feels inevitable not to assign a gender when your native language doesn't have an "it". Also don't forget PMD which assign genders to most characters.

I go like this:
>If a pokémon has just one gender I obviously call by that gender.

>For pokémon with disporpotional gender ratio, I assign the gender for the favorable one (e.g. refer to all starters and eeveelutions as him).

>For 50/50 and genderless, I mostly decide based on if the name sounds more masculine or feminine, and then the appearance. I don't check much though, I mostly just pick the one that feels "right" first.
>>
>>24931056
That's fine then, because you know they will be always m/f.
>>
>>24930583
It, they are not people.
>>
It's incorrect.

That being said, who gives a shit? Only tumblards and the most autistic of faggots (see: slugfucker) would care so much as to call you out on it.
>>
In English animate nouns default to male. Inanimate ones are genderless or female.
>>
For example, you see someone walking their dog that you've never seen. You get the urge to pet it. You immediately exclaim "oh my god HE is so cute. What's HIS name?" If I find out she's a female, I'll use she/her thereafter. But you always default to male.
>>
might i suggest using "their"?
>>
>>24931334
le doylist-only meme
we cannot talk about how things work in-universe
all discussions must be about the creator's decisions
>>
>>24931334
>Its bits of data in a game, not an actual being.
So is you're waifu, if not one of the following:
>frames of images on a show/movie
>panels of images in a comic
>pages of words in a book
>>
>>24931334
>people shouldn't have the ability to feel for something that they are taking care of
are you literally autistic?
>>
>>24933668
As someone who is literally autistic, I am insulted that you would compare me to >>24931334
Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.