[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Things Pokémon games need to stop doing: >HMs No reason
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /vp/ - Pokemon

Thread replies: 38
Thread images: 2
File: 348Armaldo.png (159 KB, 431x431) Image search: [Google]
348Armaldo.png
159 KB, 431x431
Things Pokémon games need to stop doing:

>HMs
No reason to do this. It crowds party slots and movesets. Just give the player items that do these things.

>Night/day cycle puzzles/gameplay elements that aren't visual effects
It's not fun or challenging. Pokémon appearing at night vs. day is fine, but other than that, keep it visual.

>Gym entrance "puzzles"
90% of the time they are either trivially easy or literally impossible to do anything but perfectly solve--either make them challenging or just remove them so there isn't tedious bullshit before gym leaders.

>Stop making the story have such huge significance
Every Pokémon adventure doesn't have to be to save the world. This would give them a chance to actually write some interesting characters.
>>
>>24917451
>>Night/day cycle puzzles/gameplay elements that aren't visual effects
When had this ever happened?
>>
>>24917451
Introducing move/pokemons instead of fixing existing
>>
>>24917462
bw2
>>
>>24917468
>the pokemon games aren't even good games, fans of pokemon are generally just a fan of the characters, world and most importantly monsters themselves
>the games are liked despite their shit quality because they're the means we're given to see and play with the cool monsters
>"okay guys let's just stop making new monsters and focus on lightly tweaking them in ways most players aren't even aware of or care about"
>>
>>24917451
>hms
Agreed to an extent. You should still have to strategize to clear obstacles to some degree.

>day/night puzzles
Cry some more.

>gym puzzles
Eh, gym trainers are always good for exp and its a fun little challenge.

>story
Cry some more. Its not like RBY has interesting characters, and its not like there aren't interesting characters in games where you do save the world.

For me personally...

>trade level cap
Seeing as it's easy enough to overlevel, either make the cap apply to all your pokemon or get rid of it entirely. Especially since there are in game trades that get fucked over by this.

>flash caves
Self explanatory.

>no dungeon before legendary
One of the few things RBY did right. You should have to work to get legendaries. By this same token, remove roamers.

>tons of grunts all with the same pokemon in one area
Silph Co. was the most egregious error in any Pokemon game, and for some reason every following game feels it needs to repeat that. They're trainers, there's no reason to confine them to the same 10 evolutionary lines.

>master ball before box legendary
Always irked me cuz it removes even more challenge from getting legendaries.
>>
>>24917596
>Cry some more. Its not like RBY has interesting characters, and its not like there aren't interesting characters in games where you do save the world.
There are hardly any interesting characters in Pokémon.

>Eh, gym trainers are always good for exp and its a fun little challenge.
Never said you need to remove gym trainers, just the stupid puzzles that aren't fun. They are generally just tedious and a waste of time.

>Agreed to an extent. You should still have to strategize to clear obstacles to some degree.
How do HMs encourage strategizing at all? They don't even require forward planning, you just either have you HM slave or you don't for that location.
>>
IVs

they contribute nothing of value to the game. they're literally just arbitrary values that determine how much your pokemon is handicapped. Competitively they barely offer anything because everyone uses the same minmaxed spread and casual players rarely ever notice, especially with species, levels, natures, and EVs already changing stats around. Playing bike simulator just to get ideal stats and releasing all the flawed Pokemon isn't fun and even Masuda himself said he thinks examining stats and choosing the best one is soulless.
>>
>>24917611
Exactly. Maybe instead you need the right Pokemon.

And no one mon aside from a few Mythicals should be able to clear every obstacle.
>>
20 years later and still butt hurt about HMs. Get over it.
>>
>>24917730
no
>>
>>24917730
HMs enforce the idea that Pokemon are tools to be used.
>>
>>24917681
this 100%
>>
>>24917538
Pokemon games are actually really good. They are grindfest rpgs but the one of the best in that category.

They also have a lot of depth that keep players engaged and attracts obsessive people. Just imagine if there were:

>no natures, IV, EV, shinies, evolutions, held items, catching, trading, collecting, abilities, gender, status conditions, weather, breeding...
>only 6 pokemon with 1 attack each

It would be the same game but with much less complexity. I've played games like that:
>Here is your party, grind them to a high level and follow the story.
And they were fine and pokemon would be fine too but it would be a much inferior game.

Listen, I know bad games with huge fanbases (see. digimon, yugioh, DBZ...). But these are usually franchise cash ins. Pokemon started as a game and it became popular because they made good games. If the games were not good they would not be as popular. The pokemon anime is terrible. I really don't know how there is a constant thread on /vp/ for it. I fucking watch it out of duty and it's painful. Digimon had a pretty decent anime early on for it's time and Yu-gi-oh has one of the best card games around. DBZ has a pretty good anime too. Pokemon's pillar is it's games and to a lesser extent the trading cards.

The biggest downside to pokemon games is how similar they are to each other. That is the key to keeping a fanbase though. Still, anybody that picks up a pokemon game for the first time is likely to enjoy it even if they don't get into the franchise if they are not overwhelmed.

>TL:DR Pokemon games are good. If all that mattered was to see cool pokemon, the anime does a better job and to battle them you can play the card game.
>>
>>24917759
They are
>>
>>24917451
The only HMs that are useful (to me) are Surf and Fly. Other than that, I could care less about them.
>>
they should just make each Pokemon have 2-4 extra move slots that don't work in battle so they can be used for field moves
>>
defensive/slow ice types and shitty unusable pure ice types

normal/flying types

grunt armies who have the same 4 pokemon

HMs being unforgettable

move relearners needing special semi-rare items, move relearners at all

>>24917681
also this

Also the battle frontier in emerald was perfect, why the fuck did they keep downgrading it with each game ?
>>
>>24917857
Paul GTFO
>>
>>24917451
I entirely agree
>>
>>24917681
I thought about this but I disagree. The only way IVs should matter to you is if you are playing competitively. If you are playing competitively you should have to look at things that don't matter to others.

Think of it this way: You have a horse. You love your horse and you love riding it and caring for it. To think you can enter your horse in a horse race full of pure-breeds and expect to have a chance would be ridiculous. If you want a competitive horse you need to get a pure breed. Some horses are just better than others.

I actually think IVs should be totally invisible with no way to determine them. Maybe even have one IV that is determined randomly before a battle. The only problem is that if IV are invisible and passed down by breeding there will be people breeding their champion pokemon for a lot of money just like horses.

Pokemon, like horses, have different traits that make them better competitively than others.
>>
>>24917681
>examining stats and choosing the best one is soulless
Isn't this the whole reason Paul existed? To prove this point?
>>
>>24917861
Boats are more efficient than surf and flying is basically teleporting so it can easily be replaced.
>>
>>24917884
>Pokemon, like horses, have different traits that make them better competitively than others.
Ah, but Natures do that just fine, in a way that not only isn't total bullshit like IVs (rather, it is only partly bullshit), but also should have made IVs obsolete.
>>
File: 1450112273287.png (17 KB, 240x150) Image search: [Google]
1450112273287.png
17 KB, 240x150
>>24917451
Ice types are late game mons
Shitmons that are late game mons
Some Mts that you can only get them after beating the main game
Rival heals your party after battling
>>
>>24917905
Natures play a part. You want a horse that is obedient and competitive but there are other traits that matter and those traits are less evident. I don't see how IVs matter to anybody but competitive players.
>>
>>24917923
>Rival heals your party after battling
You seriously don't want this?
>>
>>24917451
OP is a massive faggot with shit opinions except for the last one.
>>
>>24917451
Ice gyms always have the best puzzles, they take a little trial and error or critical thinking to solve smoothly.

Teleport gyms are the worst though, they're just annoying and mostly a waste of time.
>>
>>24917451
Make the whole thing more self-aware ie stop making the beginning of the game
>Shit town
>Pointless errand
>Forest full of shitmons
>Rock gym
-Stop putting shit types as later gyms ie Ice and Psychic
-Stop making us catch a box legendary after the 7th gym
-Gen V exp yield system was perfect why remove it?
>>
>>24917451
Stop giving us Exp Share after the first Gym, that shit belongs to postgame

Forcing "plot" into the game, it just keeps getting worse every gen

There is no excuse not to have some kind of extended battle facility in remakes/third versions/sequels

There also was absolutely no reason to remove Battle Video search by criteria other than sheer laziness, bring them back
>>
event pokemon

trade evolutions

version exclusives
>>
>>24917884
But why? If I want to play bicycle simulator to have better pokemon, just let me do it. You really don't have to, if you don't want.
Compare this to any other RPG or game with multiplayer: You'll never become any better by using the stuff from your first play-through. The stuff you used to blaze through some "AI" is good enough for that, sure, but you won't win against a human who can think and outsmart/outplay you.
Pokemon is already very forgiving if you use shitmons. You can still pull through just because of some surprise moves or using stuff that is blatantly overpowered, or even sheer luck. Hell, even a guy like Verlisify can win some matches, even though his sets are usually complete shit.
Even if you know nothing about competitive play, be it Showdown, VGC or whatever, you can still battle online or against friends, because the playerbase is just huge, and it's easy to start online battles. Just don't expect to win against someone who chooses and trains his Pokemon in a way that get's the best out of every single one.
>>
>>24918379
>trade evolutions
>version exclusives
We've had wifi trading for 9 years now. There's no reason to complain about trade evolutions or version exclusives. Unless you're playing a ROM.
>>
>>24917884
>i don't play competitive, therefore no one else shall
>>
>>24917451
>HMs
Kinda agree. Some of them are useful in battle during the game (Surf, Waterfall, maybe Fly as it hits for reasonable damage and can do so super effectively) but the rest are more or less pointless. I hate having to sit through the animation before doing the HM action as well, and not being able to delete them wiithout visiting an NPC is a pain in the hole.
>>
Go fuck yourself OP. I bet you think Skyrim was better than Morrowind. You don't and shouldn't want to streamline and linearize everything.
Simplicity and easiness don't make a great game. Even if it is a kid's game, it should still provide some mental challenge.
>>
>>24917884
>I thought about this but I disagree. The only way IVs should matter to you is if you are playing competitively

But Anon the objective of pokemon is fight your min-maxed mons against your opponent min-maxed mons

What else you can do if dont play competitivel y ?
Thread replies: 38
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.