[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Do we all agree that Pokemon Super Mystery Dungeon was the best
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /vp/ - Pokemon

Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 6
File: 67867896789698.png (179 KB, 500x246) Image search: [Google]
67867896789698.png
179 KB, 500x246
Do we all agree that Pokemon Super Mystery Dungeon was the best game by far in the series?
>refined gameplay making the game difficult and at the same time removing the tedium found in previous games by making revive seeds more common and making dungeons smaller but more numerous
>vastly better characters and prioritized giving characters development during the "slow" half of the game making them much more interesting
>story that is at least as good as the one in explorers of sky and arguably better due to better characters

Did they get a different team for this game? It seems like a huge improvement over the others. The order goes: Super Mystery Dungeon >>>> Explorers of Sky >>>>>>> Garbage > Pokemon Red/Blue >>> Gates of Infinity
>>
>>24906842
>Do we all agree
the answer is always NO
>>
>>24906842
The partner is Mew reincarnated
Nuzleaf was working with the Beheeyem and Yveltal all along, hes evil
Espurr is a double agent
Entei is tsundere for you after you, your partner, Raikou, Suicune, Krookodile and Archen turn to stone
In the end you don't fade away, your partner does
Xatu from Red Rescue team returns
>>
I would agree if you didn't spend 8 hours in Tutorial Town getting to know characters you'll mostly never see again and then get rushed along the rest of the way, losing the opportunity to get to know the other characters the game has to offer. Lest we forget the post-game story, which is basically just the Manaphy egg story without any chance to develop any attachment to the new baby, and most plot progression happens while you're knocked out and you learn a few highlights later.

It's a good story with good characters, but it has absolutely atrocious pacing, far worse than the lack of good characters past installments had, that kills any chance to be better than Sky.
>>
>>24906842
Gates to infinity was better story wise desu...
>>
It's the only one I've managed to 100% without wanting to kill myself, so that's a plus
>>
>>24906895
While there are some pacing issues in the beginning, I would say they used the slow beginning much more effectively than in skies by using that time to develop your partner's character and using this to show what was at stake for the latter half of the story. Sky also had similar pacing issues which didn't effectively develop characters, which made it harder to feel invested in the story.
>>
>>24906935
>without wanting to kill myself
>vanilluxe
>baltoy
>drifblim
>noivern
>volcarona
>Yveltal
>honchkrow
>sandshrew
>Heliolisk
>poliwrath bros
>Salamence
>pretty much every optional legendary boss fight
www.niceme.me
>>
File: Golduck.gif (569 KB, 500x360) Image search: [Google]
Golduck.gif
569 KB, 500x360
>>24906921
>Gates having a better story
Mah niggah
>>
>>24906842
>Do we all agree
No
>>
>>24906842
They are all bad. Clunky gameplay, sub-Twilight-tier story and characters, and outdated presentation make them unworthy of even piracy.
>>
Sure I agree, though I have not played Gates yet. Is it really that bad? The demo didn't sell me on it but had Super got one too I'm pretty sure I would've felt the same way.
>>
this is the only mystery dungeon game i finished without forcing myself. loved every moment of it for the most part.
>>
>>24908220
I think people really exaggerate how bad it is. Feels less monotonous than the DS games and the story is the best in the series.
>>
>>24908241
Story is all I care about in these games. Gameplay is hardly the best in the genre but they're still fun as hell to play. I guess I'll see if I can find Gates for cheap somewhere.
>>
>>24908255
It's flawed and rough round the edges As are the others, to varying degrees, but it's the characters that pull it through for me.
>>
>>24908220
From what I heard, people said it was far too easy and that it had a very limited number of pokemon in it.
>>
>>24908270
those things were acceptable to me
what wasn't was the excruciatingly slow text speed that was unskippable and unable to be sped up
>>
File: gates.png (69 KB, 512x163) Image search: [Google]
gates.png
69 KB, 512x163
>>24908266
Well shit, guess I won't get to see for myself.
>>
>>24906895
The game has the same pacing as any of the other installments. I'd say the fast pacing towards the end worked well, or would have worked well had the main conflict been introduced earlier. Still, the first PMD had random shit like the Mankey and chestnut thing after your exodus, Sky rushed you through Brine Cave, the Hidden Land, and Primal Dialga, and Gates handled the whole Bittercold thing badly anyway.

I would have loved to be a kid (inb4 "you are a kid") and play through Super, so I would have fucked up more and progressed through the game at a slower rate, really making the big endgame cutscenes hit hard. As it stands, I can only admire it as an adult and hope PMD is on an exponential quality increase from here on out.
>>
>>24908293
Guess you could watch a voiceless lets play or something
>>
wot I think:

-Story was not as good as Explorers; suffers from severe pacing issues and overreliance on WOT A TWIST. Flashbacks to plot revealed literally five minutes ago still present. TEH DARKNESS is not a compelling enemy.

-Holy shit the stuff from the Luminous Spring until the final boss fight was pretty badass, it's a pity it felt so rushed

-The fact that you can recruit 100% of the pokemon would be a better deal if most of them weren't consistently unavailable for battle; in fact, the whole randomly unavailable thing just sucks in general. When I recruit something I want to use it.

-Very few of the post game fights require anything approaching strategy; spamming alliances plows through all of them. Notable exception: The battle versus Mewtwo.

- I really miss Explorers's mission format; the connection orb and its one mission per pokemon ever was pretty lame.

- hahahahaha Ally Reviver
>>
File: 1385768776485.jpg (29 KB, 220x208) Image search: [Google]
1385768776485.jpg
29 KB, 220x208
>>24906842
>pokemon red/blue
>>
File: 1401238448661.jpg (13 KB, 253x296) Image search: [Google]
1401238448661.jpg
13 KB, 253x296
>limited amount of missions

other than that, it's pretty good
>>
Is gates to infinity worse than a main pokemon game?
>>
>>24908183
yeah well fuck you
>>
>>24908407
>>24908380
Im assuming he meant rescue red/blue and not the main series red/blue. Never played gates, but from what I heard it suffers from the same problems that most main pokemon series games do: incredibly easy, terrible story, bad characters. So based on this, id assume that they are on par with eachother.
>>
File: image.jpg (110 KB, 1171x540) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
110 KB, 1171x540
>>24908183
>>
>>24908442
All wrong. People didn't like Gates because it lacked content. If they added in 400 more Pokemon and gave it some actual post-game it would have been a solid entry.
Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.