[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
So, not a genwunner/genrunner thread But which generation do
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /vp/ - Pokemon

Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 2
File: games.jpg (421 KB, 1367x724) Image search: [Google]
games.jpg
421 KB, 1367x724
So, not a genwunner/genrunner thread
But which generation do you think improved the series the most?
Hint:It was Gen 2
>>
>>24888671
Battle mechanics are the only thing that matter.
Gentoo gave us:
>Held items.
>Unshitted battle mechanics from the clusterfuck that was geewun.
>Steel and dark types. Both retarded.
gen three gave us:
>doubles
>Changed EV/IV system EVs are better but IVs are worse go figure.
>abilities
gen four gave us:
>phys/spec split
gen five gave us nothing. lel.
gen six gave us
>Fairy also retarded
>Megas

2 > 3 > 4 > 6 > 5
Objectively.
>>
For me it's both Gen 2 and Gen 4
>>
B2 W2 wrong Cover
>>
It's not my favorite generation to play, but I think it's pretty clear that Gen III made the biggest gameplay leaps in the series.
>>
>>24888671
The games have arguably gotten better or worse but the jump in quality between Gen 1 and Gen 2 is still the biggest to date even though all of the games have their own individual problems
>>
>>24888705
let's not forget gen 2 introduced breeding and move tutors which play in to the battle mechanics
>>
>>24888671
Gen 4 by far made the best changes in the series and was probably the most refined version of the 'classic' pokemon formula to date.
>>
>>24888724
this is true, but they aren't really battle mechanics.

if we're including bike sim and related things gen 5 over gen 6 for infinite TMs
>>
>>24888731
>Gen 4 by far made the best changes in the series
like?
>>
>>24888705
Most correct thing someone has ever said on /vp/
>>
>>24888731

I really like Gen IV, but it really didn't make too many changes, did it? It was a few incremental things at most.
>>
>>24888705
>gen five gave us nothing. lel.

It gave us nothing new, but implemented everything already there in the best, most developed way yet. I'm fine with nothing new if that's what we get instead.
>>
>>24888763
>mplemented everything already there in the best, most developed way yet
how
>>
>>24888749
>Gen 4
>A few incremental things
Gen 4 gave us Wifi trading and battling. That was a huge improvement. The core of this series is trading and battling with other players. Gen 4 gave us a wider way of doing that and for that its my favorite as far as features go.
>>
2 > 3 > 4 > 6 > 5
>>
>Anything before the Physical Special Split
>>
>>24888799

That's fair, I'll give it that. I was more thinking of game mechanics changes, where Gen IV really only gave us the updated physical/special system, but you're right, the series' first foray into online functionality is pretty important.
>>
>>24888705

Gen 5 gave us weather wars
>>
>>24888705
>>24888813
Gen V gave us Hidden Abilities if you want to nitpick it.

>>24888738
The Physical/Special split is probably still the most important update to the game.
>>
>>24888838
>The Physical/Special split is probably still the most important update to the game.

I have to disagree. It's exactly what I mean by "incremental" change. It changes some strategies and competitive play, but for the average player, it didn't make much of a difference. It was a nice, but minor, change that didn't change anything about the fundamental gameplay. Compared to other generations' major changes, like held items, abilities, or mega-evolution, I think it's very minor.
>>
>>24888868
That's fair I guess, but as a kid when you see the move Fire Punch, you'd think that it would be a physical move, the fact that it took until the fourth generation of games for that to actually be a physical move is dumb.

Also, now that I think about it, the Special stat split itself is probably the most important update to the game.
>>
>>24888705
If you're including doubles for gen iii, include rotation and triples for gen v. You might not like, but triples is the only format I play nowadays because I find it so much better than everything else. Even rotation I consider leagues beyond singles.
>>
>>24888705
>What is Hidden Ability
>What are Triple battles
>>
>>24888952
>What is Hidden Ability
Not a battle mechanic
>What are Triple battles
Not something that makes gen V a step in the right direction

Battle mechanic wise, gen V is gen IV
>>
>>24888705
Fuck battle mechanics, gen 2 also made it so you could just press a on a tree or some water or whatever then use the relevant HM rather than manually selecting it from the pokemon menu
For this reason it will always be the gen that improved the series the most
>>
Gen I to Gen II:
>NIGHT AND DAY (I will never forgive III for not including these)
>No menu needed for HMs
>Apricorns. The coolest of pokeball
>Breeding/gender
>Phones
>Day of the week
>Dark and Steel types
>PC move (this was so useful)
>Bag separations
>TWO REGIONS

Gen II to Gen III
>Pokeblocks/Contests
>Weather
>Double Battles
>Two bikes
>Abilities/Natures
>Contests
>better berries
>Wireless
>Hidden bases
>battle Frontier
>Dive

Gen III to Gen IV
>Day and night, days of weeks
>no sprites
>the underground
>gender appearances
>pokeathalon
>location-specific evolution
>internet

Gen IV to Gen V
>Triple battles
>Animation
>Dark Grass
>Seasons
>Flying Battles

Gen V to Gen VI
>Fairy
>Sky Battles
>Hordes
>Mega Evolutions
>Diagonal movement
>Pokemon Bank
>Super training
>Streetpass
>Soaring
>French
>French fairies

2>3>4>6>5
>>
>>24888671
Objectively Gen 3. It was the generation that overhauled the sloppy mess that was gen 1/2 and turned it into something playable. Abilities finally gave a lot of Pokemon their own identities. Hold items were fleshed out to something beyond "lefties on everyone." There's really no debate, Hoenn was a huge sweeping change.
>>
>>24891880

Agreed. It's probably my least favorite to play, but it's undeniable that it made the most substantial improvements of any generation.
>>
>>24888671
That's it op
>>
>>24891880
It really is Hoenn that gave the biggest abd most important changes, which is part of why I love it.

In my eyes it goes Gen 3, then Gen 4 (Phys/spec split), then Gen 2 (Breeding and held items), then Gen 6 (megas), then Gen 5.

On the other hand, there are miscellaneous changes that made games more fun - like shinies. Gen 2 was important for introducing them, Gen 4 was important for making them moderately available with the radar, Gen 5 was a shitshow (shiny locks? Fuck you gamefreak, why give us the shiny charm alongside shiny locks?) and Gen 6 has fair encounter rates without making them a complete joke. In regards to shiny pokemon, Gen 3 was the only gen that seemed to offer nothing (not even any guaranteed shinies like Gyarados.)
>>
gen 3

-fixed IV/EV
-abilities, arguably the best addition in the entire series
-natures
-First proper post game with battle frontier (no, kanto in gen 2 is not post game)
-double battles
-contests before they were fucked up in further gens

all it was missing was phy/spec split DESU
Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.