[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
http://watchofyokai.com/we-can-love -both-pokemon-and-yo-kai
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /vp/ - Pokemon

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 5
File: CW7ShU-UAAArwNa.png (298 KB, 600x424) Image search: [Google]
CW7ShU-UAAArwNa.png
298 KB, 600x424
http://watchofyokai.com/we-can-love-both-pokemon-and-yo-kai-watch/
Thoughts?
>>
yo-kai what?

you mean that series that utterly flopped in the west?
>>
>>24876846
No, we can't
>>
>>24876863
>>24876871
>>24878562
>another monster-collecting game comes to the West
>"Noooooo, Pokemon is the only monster-collecting game series allowed to exist!"
American logic.
>>
This shitty-looking game has thus far flopped in North America, having sold not even 10,000 copies during Black Friday week.

So no, at least as of now, it doesn't look like "we" will "love" both.
>>
File: 1443454699572.png (166 KB, 600x600) Image search: [Google]
1443454699572.png
166 KB, 600x600
>>24876846

It's okay, and I can see why Japanese kids like it. Still can't find the appeal though. Tried out a copy from a friend and it didn't take long before losing interest and unable to hook into the gameplay. Pretty much Ghostbuster gone Shonen anime video game. Only see very little resemblance to pokemon too, so it's hard to make connections between the two besides some small details or small design similarities. That's it though and decided to consider Yokai Watch a different enough game to not find it reasonable with comparing it to pokemon so much.

>>24878569

It's not really America's fault and the logic flaw is more on Japan if anything. The yokai in this game are basically ghostly monsters strictly based off (Hence the first name in title.) Japanese themed ghosts or creatures heavily focused within Japanese folklore/myths (See the Kappa yokai.) who are usually commonly known within Japanese culture. A lot of this isn't known outside that culture and even if you translate/explain the meanings behind these yokai in attempt to get these outer people to understand, their still likely going to raise a couple brows or flat out not get the point behind it all. Especially with some of the humor behind a lot of them since a good chunk are probably too wacky, even for my own taste. It's probably why it's U.S release bombed like it did compared to their sales in Japan and only saw this release even happening only cause it made a lot of money in japan and didn't really consider anything past that fact. It's like....uh, well fuck, guess like introducing a person raise/from America to chopsticks when they been mostly raised with seeing just Silverware like Forks, spoons, etc. I know that is a stupid comparison and could try using a better example to use to differ between US and japan, but I'm sure that might be enough to see the point I'm trying to make here.
>>
File: 4934tgd.jpg (61 KB, 850x467) Image search: [Google]
4934tgd.jpg
61 KB, 850x467
>>24876846
This shit (literally, pic-related) was NEVER going to be popular in the U.S.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FQM_r4dbLVU

Japan and American cultures are so vastly different.. Why do you think the French-based X&Y are the best-selling Pokemon games in the U.S. in years? Because American culture is more closely related to France than it is to Japan. <_<

I give it until next summer before Disney finishes airing the dub (which now gets a pathetic 150,000 viewers), and then silently removes it. YW2 will never get localized, and Hasbro's YW merch will be past clearance, and available at your local dollar store by Labor Day.
>>
File: tumblr_ny9jgi4jua1rvs7gdo1_540.png (99 KB, 540x432) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_ny9jgi4jua1rvs7gdo1_540.png
99 KB, 540x432
>>24876846
the Cat and this>>24878779 Yokai is cute
but if it is like earthbound it wont get popular in the west in the beginning
>>
>>24878662
According to the official sales numbers released, it sold 70,000 during November. It's still not great, but a hell of a lot better than VGchartz was estimating
>>
>>24880922
I think Nintendo understood that games like Pokemon appeal to a slightly higher age group in the weset (10-12 year olds) than they do in Japan (6-8 year olds) and were smart enough to strip away some of the more childish songs and such from the anime. Hell, compare this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X2b_3OI5-0I
to this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P2HQAy-apmE
>>
File: 1442591800489-1.jpg (81 KB, 320x388) Image search: [Google]
1442591800489-1.jpg
81 KB, 320x388
This is true. If anything I like Yokai Watch more than Pokémon anymore.

It's a breath of fresh air and recruiting monsters doesn't annoy me because I have suffered through SMT. The characters, monsters and Springdale are filled to the brim with personality. Interacting with all npcs provides you with satisfaction based off the quirky dialogue or by gaining rewards.

The game is huge. The 3d models look much better than Pokémon (though Pokémon didn't set the bar too high for that.)

And the sequel only adds to this while expanding the story, more monster selection, more sidequesta, fixing previous problems, more music, better improved animations, trading, online battles and so forth.

This game is definitely recommended for people who like Japanese culture. Or of you're interested in the culture then it's a fun learning experience.
>>
My biggest issue with YW is that the gameplay is a chore. In terms of gameplay, yokai is shallow pond where pokemon is a deep ocean in terms of what you can do to customize your team and moves.

Yokai just feels way too simple.
>>
>>24876846
I love YW and think it has a much more polished presentation compared to the 3DS Pokemon games, but that's about all it has going for it. I think a big problem is how in Pokemon, mons feel like they truly are yours and yours alone. In YW since ghosts have a pre-established identity along with the really obtuse way to recruit them, it loses that something that makes Pokemon so appealing.
>>
>>24881203
(sorry, forgot to add this before posting)

However, I do think it gets annoying how everything has to be a "killer" to be good. I think YW really suffered from how they were marketing it as something that will dethrone Pokemon when all that does is make them look like a tryhard.
>>
>>24880963

Not really. VGChartz doesn't include eShop numbers. Their figures are thus pretty damn close.
Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.