[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>I use lower tier pokemon in OU
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /vp/ - Pokemon

Thread replies: 123
Thread images: 18
File: JEt9ZUj.png (117 KB, 320x263) Image search: [Google]
JEt9ZUj.png
117 KB, 320x263
>I use lower tier pokemon in OU
>>
>>24871386
>Volcarona
>>
there's nothing wrong with this if you're actually smart about it and not just trying to be a hipster

there are Pokemon that are like B rank viability but are NU because not many teams need to use them.
>>
File: image.jpg (159 KB, 960x640) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
159 KB, 960x640
>>24871386
>I play a kid's game competitively
>>
File: Girl gamer joins the server.gif (3 MB, 380x214) Image search: [Google]
Girl gamer joins the server.gif
3 MB, 380x214
>>24871386
>>24871401
>I play unofficial metagames
>>
>>24871427
"le fanfiction-tier"-meme
>>
File: 1412736232337.gif (353 KB, 202x341) Image search: [Google]
1412736232337.gif
353 KB, 202x341
>I follow Smogon Tiers
>>
File: image.jpg (28 KB, 156x159) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
28 KB, 156x159
>Not just using the Pokemon you like most
>Taking Pokemon battling seriously
>>
>>24871386
If it fills a niche and keeps your opponent guessing, why not? Being predictable is the worst thing you can do in a game of risk-management like pokemon.
>>
File: dec.png (486 KB, 469x463) Image search: [Google]
dec.png
486 KB, 469x463
>I use legendaries on my team
>>
>>24871386
They laugh when they see a Tropius on my team

>Turn 365
>>
>>24871386
>Using exclusively OU
>Refusing to use:

Volcarona
Sheerforceg8r
Azelf
Crobat
Espeon
Honchkrow
Infernape
Aerodactyl

Fucking neckbeard.
>>
>>24871386

tyrantrum is pretty good though. Also shit like ludicolo, omastar and kabutops are deadly despite being in lower tiers.
>>
File: Hidamari04.gif (496 KB, 320x180) Image search: [Google]
Hidamari04.gif
496 KB, 320x180
>>24873074
>I use my bros
>>
I guess to be cool one must roll a genie, Clefable, Keldeo, and Heatran.
>>
>>24873706
This isn't about being cool. It's saying that if you unironically think you're in some way superior to others because you use shitmons and sometimes win ladder battles in the 1100s and 1200s, you're a faggot.

If you want to use shitmons use them in the tier you're supposed to use them in.
>>
File: 1450576000781.png (29 KB, 295x311) Image search: [Google]
1450576000781.png
29 KB, 295x311
>I play pokemon
>>
File: le hat meme.jpg (23 KB, 447x351) Image search: [Google]
le hat meme.jpg
23 KB, 447x351
>>24871386
>I am smug about which pokemon people use in my made up mickey mouse fan website game
lol sim babby faggot. until you've played in a live tournament you're not a pokemon player, its night and day sitting in your quiet air conditioned room playing pokemon and playing irl
>>
>>24871407
this

/board
>>
>>24871407
Me in the blue one.
>>
File: layton.webm (210 KB, 720x404) Image search: [Google]
layton.webm
210 KB, 720x404
>I make fedora threads for fedora-tippers such as myself
>>
>>24871386
do you know what synergy is?
>>
File: 596.png (392 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
596.png
392 KB, 640x480
>>24874005
>>
>>24873717
Sound like you got rekted by a shitmon team.
Maybe you should git gud son.
>>
>>24873717
But anon, you're allowed to use pokemon that are in lower tiers if you want, if they were "supposed" to be used only in their tiers, the simulation wouldn't even allow you to put them on your teams.
>>
>>24874145

>muh synergy

Nice meme. Meaningless buzzword.
>>
>>24871407
The problem with this statement is that every game is a kid's game. Yes even fighting games and muh magick duh gaddering
>>
File: lolz.gif (4 MB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
lolz.gif
4 MB, 480x360
>>24873039

>Not fitting as many viable bros onto a cohesive team and possible and enjoying a fine winrate and team you find aesthetically pleasing
>>
>>24873557

Half of those are shitty, try Suicune and most of the BL mons like Diggersby and Hawlucha. Also the sub-UU Stall mons like Alomomola and Amoonguss.
>>
>>24873752

This isn't poker you dumbfuck, there's no strategic difference. The only benefit of playing live in VGC tournaments are the prizes, but they hardly outweigh the cons. Such as having to endure the nervous prattle of neckbeards, body odor, etc.
>>
>I feel the need to categorize anyone who disagrees with me as le fedora man
There are plenty of lower-tier mons that are perfectly usable in OU. Just because it's UU or NU, doesn't mean it's some Arcanine-level shitmon.
>>
>>24876514
This is what I do. I have a couple of bros that are competitive as fuck that can support my "less competitive" mons. By the time the opponent has made 1 or two fuckups because they're not familiar with my mon's set, 1 fuckup in momentum is enough to get ravaged by something like focus sash Weavile or Slowbro. I can't tell you how many games I've turned completely on their head because of Weavile specifically.
>>
>>24873684
I'll give you ludicolo and kabutops but omastar is just bad my nigga.
>>
File: Shbs.jpg (172 KB, 1764x1782) Image search: [Google]
Shbs.jpg
172 KB, 1764x1782
>>24876491
>every game is a kids game
>>
>>24876671
Weak Armor shell smash, scald, ice beam, earth power is pretty elite if you ask me.
>>
>>24871386
Sounds like OP got his ass handed to him by a Seaking
>>
>>24876671
Rape Machine on rain teams because of Shell Smash. Rain Teams in general use stuff from lower tiers, like Politoed, Mega Swampert, Omastar, Luicolo, etc.
>>
I would rather fight people using a few interesting gimmick pokemon than deal with the oceans of shutters using the same tired faggotry like genies, Heatran, Keldeo, Gliscor, le birb of Smogon, Chansey, whatever, stacking around these boring fucking teams that are some combination of the same 12 mons.

Do people honestly think Clefable on every team is fun?
>>
>>24881851
Clefable's been one of my favorite pokemon since gen-1, so I actually really like that it's good now.
>>
>mfw someone sends out blaziken against my vivillion
>>
how is this shit still alive? where are the fucking janitors
>>
>>24882047

Yeah we all have that one pokemon in OU we like that we legitimately just like. But I'm talking these fuckers with teams that have four legendaries and a Clefable and some Mega.
>>
>>24876551
its not about reading body language (although some players claim they can) its about the ability to play in a live setting, dealing with the noise and distractions and not letting your nerves get to you. there's vgc players who are only good online
>>
>>24882459

This, there is a world of difference between playing a video game on your couch, in your home, to playing it in front of hundreds in a venue.
>>
>>24882259
What's wrong with 4 legends? If they're legends that are cool like Mew, or Latios, Diancie, Victini, or Kyurem I'm cool with that.

Shit ugly legends like Genies (even the therian forms look bad, especially Landorus), Raikou (I hate that fluffy stuff on its butt, and that moustache is awful), Manaphy (fucking water balloon), Keldeo, shit like that, I can't stand.
>>
>>24882708

I like Celebi, Diancie, Mew, Victini, etc. too, but when a team has 4 legends + a mega + Rotom-W that's just uncreative.
>>
>>24882708
>What's wrong with 4 legends?

nothing

people just like acting like 8 year olds on a playground with "muh legends are inherently op even though they aren't" mentality
>>
It's not legendaries. There are non-legendary pokemon that are OU and also annoying as fuck. See: Gliscor.

Maybe some of these people just like Gliscor, and that's fine. But then there are so many faggots who have teams of ONLY the top 10 most used OU shitters, and it's just lame.
>>
I do it too. I use Pokémon I like the most.
>>
>>24882708
Man, thank you for reminding me to be thankful that I don't have shit tastes.
>>
>>24884284
you shouldn't be using legendaries. they are legendaries, there are limited numbers of them often only one and normal trainers would go their whole ounces lives without seeing one.
>>
>>24884462
That's not my problem. Just because you don't have one, it does not excuse your lack of skill in facing one. There are a lot of pokemon I don't have, but that doesn't mean I can't beat that pokemon off when I'm battling it. Sucks to suck, so keep sucking so I can keep winning.
>>
>>24884462
not everyone needs to follow your autism.
>>
>>24884510
>samefag here

I generally build my teams without legends. Not because I think they shouldn't be used, but because I like disproving the theory that legends are OP by consistently winning against them with pokemon that are not legends.

Don't get me wrong, I use legends once in a while, but just when I'm in the mood to use that pokemon. I never use pokemon based on their lore status, just based on whether or not I feel like using it.
>>
>>24884462
Dude, the legends are on the box. Everyone catches them. These days it's pretty much required to catch one to complete the game.

Do you honestly think most people who buy pokemon Y don't catch Yveltal? Do you honestly think most people who buy Alpha Sapphire don't catch Kyogre?

Nobody goes their whole life without seeing a legend unless they are the most casual of casualfags and only played the game for, like, less than a week. Everyone catches them.
>>
>>24884856

He means like, in the lore. Where there is only one of every legendary ever.
>>
>>24884462
You can go pretend to be a normal trainer with nothing special that doesn't do anything heroic or fun. I'll go be a guy who has Arceus-God as my servant. Have fun being a nobody.
>>
>>24884577

There is no theory whatsoever, it's just casuals thinking they know what they're talking about.
>>
>>24884860
Well, that's just retarded. You mean he thinks no one should use them because they're supposed to be rare? Well, if you weren't supposed to use them the nice people at Game Freak wouldn't have put them in the game for you to catch!

Anyway, not everyone plays by dumb hedcannon of playing as an average joe nobody. I sure as hell don't want to be an average joe nobody. I'm already one of those in real life. Why would I want to be one in video-game land too?
>>
>>24884870

Look man I don't give a shit about the lore and legendaries and all that, I'm just tired of seeing the same 10 mons over and over on like 80% of Showdown teams.

If the top 10 of OU was Swalot/Pidgey/Ninetales/Sunflora I'd be sick of that too.
>>
>>24873074
mew, moltres, all 4 of the regis, "sea guardians", shamin (base form), MLP's, meloetta and zygaurd are all fucking useless and most people use them as set up or stall pokemon because of high stats but useless or gimmicky move pools
>>
>>24884922
>mew
>manaphy
>bad
Shitter confirmed.

Base Shaymin is offensive by the way retard. Literally used as a worse version of its other form.
>>
>>24871386
Am I the only one here to play with my in-game team against my friends, who do the same?
>>
>>24885302
>my friends
where do you think you are
>>
Wasn't Quagsire at the top of the OU ladder a little while back?

Post sets of shitmons that fill in OU niches.
>>
>>24885298
>used as a worse version of its other form
>no air slash
>no 127 base speed healing wish
what

At best you can say they're both special attackers
>>
>>24874207
Yes but using them for the sake of being a hipster or cool or whatever makes you a faggot. There are tiers specifically made so that you can use shitmons and they won't be shit.
>>
>>24885506
Seed flare life orb?

General base shaymin set is similar to the skymin one, just infinitely worse.
No real reason to use shaymin over say celebi defensively or for support. But it has seed flare.
>>
>>24871386
If you want to win in competitive, you have to use the same ten pokemon as everyone else. That's boring as fuck.

I'd rather dick around with different pokemon and movesets and lose occasionally. At least it's interesting.
>>
>>24885603
10? Where did you get that number from? There's like 100 or so good Pokemon in OU. If you don't want to use those just play a different tier.

Otherwise you'll be shit
>>
>>24885749
bans to the uber tier kind of disproves your point. as retarded as most of the bans are, they exist because if something is OP (m-kenga, narutoad) everyone uses them and the game becomes no fun since you're forced to carry a counter to even build a team.
>>
>>24876514
>muh looks
>not wanting a mechanically satisfying team that is fun to use
>>
>>24871407
The worst thing about this image is how they stick out their hand
>>
>>24876601
>weavile and slowbro
Both ou mons
>>
>>24881851
People don't use shit like clefable cause it's fun, they use it so they don't get swept by other strong stuff
>>
>>24886019

That's the point. Everyone using the same 10 mons forcing you to also use some of those mons to counter the other mons is boring.
>>
>>24884305
I don't get this. If you know what people are gonna use and the exact sets, how do lose? Just counter team, try sub Kyu-b with something else to remove fairies and scizor
>>
>>24885479
Quag has never been top ou, ever
>>
>>24886027
Not even true, you can easily use lower tier stuff and do good on the ladder
>>
File: crawdaunt.png (65 KB, 206x195) Image search: [Google]
crawdaunt.png
65 KB, 206x195
post best lower-tier mons to use in OU
>>
File: cloyster.jpg (24 KB, 219x208) Image search: [Google]
cloyster.jpg
24 KB, 219x208
>>24886526
>Landorus
>Bravest Birdy
>>
>something you do that I don't
>fedora.jpg
>something I do that you don't
>smuganimegirl.png
>>
>>24886036
It was used for countering Aegislash before people figured out you could run it mixed. Also fucked up a few other threats people thought were amazing in early XY, like D-Dance Mega Tyranitar, Mega Manectric (some of them had to run HP Grass just to kill it), Mega Scizor, and could kill Mega Mawile with Earthquake or cripple it with Scald.

Actually, Quagsire can still be used low and mid ladder where everyone uses Volt-Turn because it's easy to use. With a little bit of hazard support, Quagsire really shits on Volt-Turn.
>>
>>24885874
...but that's why bans exist? To remove those centralizing threats?
>>
>>24888535

Yes, but then new centralizing threats emerge.
>>
File: 1427437159453.png (259 KB, 900x689) Image search: [Google]
1427437159453.png
259 KB, 900x689
>favorite Pokemon is NFE
>fully evolved form is already PU
>decide I want to use it anyway
>spend days formulating and testing builds until I can find a space it can work in
>now a modestly successful suicide (anti)lead in normal tiers and bulky support in Doubles

If you want to use your bro, use him wherever you please. If your bro isn't rated for the tier, don't complain about the consequences. If he doesn't have a niche, carve one out.

Don't whinge because you have no imagination.
>>
>>24888630

Thanks Zinnia.
>>
>>24882184
This thread isn't against the rules
Cry harder
>>
>>24888160
I would use Unaware Rocky Helmet to check Mega Mom.
>>
>>24871386
I find you have better luck using lower tier Pokemon on the cart than on the simulators. I've use Focus Sash Vivillon to great success on the cart. Can't make that shit work in OU on Showdown.
>>
>>24888713
Fucking Talonflame single-handedly forced every bug but M-Pinsir/Scizor out of OU (and that's only because they're super strong and versatile despite being arbitrarily deleted by bullshitburde).

It got banned from Monotype for being too centralizing, since the only ways Bug and Grass teams could counter it were Cradily, Armaldo, and Crustle.
>>
>>24888764
Name one mon that isn't OU strictly because of Talonflame.
>>
>>24888769
volcarona
>>
>>24888769
Volcarona.
Mega-Beedrill.
Just about anything that would operate just fine in OU but happens to not be able to tank priority Brave Bird.
>>
>>24888769

Literally any UU Fighting/Bug/Grass type.
>>
>>24871386
well there are some lower teir mons that are viable in the OU teir
alomamola gatr Mega swampert
>>
Gastrodon and Jellicient are gonna see OU usage when Volcanion is release.
>>
>>24888784
>Mega-Beedrill
Frail as hell and lacks strong coverage. Priority in general destroys it.

>Just about anything that would operate just fine in OU but
Examples or fuck off. Most of the shit brought up in this type of discussion has other problems.

>>24888777
It's SR weak and it needs to pick between both coverage moves (Bug Buzz vs HP Ground/Ice) and items (Lum means you struggle against Keldeo/Azumarill and can't set up vs Manaphy, Passho means you're on a timer vs Toxic and you can't sweep vs Klefki/Thundurus). It requires a shit-ton of support, which is why it's not on every team. Even then, it still gets use because it's good.
>>
>>24888827
no there not
>>
>>24888784
>Mega-Beedrill
There are so many other things in OU that shit on it. Skarmory, Rocky Helmet Garchomp, Landorus/Gliscor, you name it. Not to mention being frail as fuck and dying to most priority anyways.
>>
>>24885979
No, it's definitely the fedoras
>>
>>24888713
Vivillon is a beast on cart where there's no sleep clause. Compound Eyes + Sleep Powder. Quiver Dance and Sweep with 90% hurricanes thanks to Compound eyes. I've killed whole teams of legends with it, like Xerneas and Mewtwo and shit.
>>
>>24888769
Heracross (and Mega Heracross)
Mega Sceptile
Chestnaught
>>
>>24888769
half of BL
>>
>>24889259
>Mega Heracross
Still gets use. Its problem is moreso competition from the vast array of wallbreakers, many of which offer more to the team in terms of defensive utility or speed. Doesn't help that it takes up a mega slot.

>Mega Sceptile
Lacks power. which means it struggles against plenty of fat mons even with its decent coverage. Also takes up a mega slot.

>Chesnaught
Gives an easy switch-in for

>Clefable
>both Charizards
>Mega Alakazam (without Wood Hammer)
>Azumarill (without Wood Hammer)
>Mega Metagross
>Mega Altaria
>Thundurus
>Tornadus-T
>Gengar
>Mega Manectric
>Mega Gardevoir (without Wood Hammer)

The list goes on. I've intentionally neglected mentioning the Latis, Mega Sableye, Skarmory, and Mega Diancie, which prevent Spikes from going or staying up.
>>
>>24888630
a lot of this
>>
>>24889762
You do realize all those chesnaught checks/counters are also breloom ones, right?
>>
>>24871386
>he doesn't run Misdreavus
Enjoy losing man.
>>
>>24876601
people never see focus sash counter coming and it makes my dick hard when i smack them after they managed to get swords dance off
>>
File: image.jpg (66 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
66 KB, 500x500
I remember when i was a young newfag and choosing the coolest mons to battle. Then i started competitve way back in xy and i found the same few mons cropping up. So i changed my team to counter them whilst also staying as original as possible.
But now all the only viable mons are either:
> the overpowered fuckers, Talonflame,Aegislash etc
> counters to the overpowered fuckers
This is the same in every tier. What happened to the magic? When new concepts are made, fags aint "thats cool" or "thats original"
Its "Not viable" or "Holy shit Lando T totally fucking destroys that"
Jeebus christ wut huppuned
Pic related
>>
>>24889225
>I've killed whole teams of legends with it, like Xerneas and Mewtwo and shit.
Sweeping kids isn't that hard, though. As long as you have a strategy and know what you're doing, you can sweep them with your ingame-team too.
>>
>>24890949

>You now realize Wally is a representation of how kids go from playing with their favorites to becoming tryhards obsessed with counters
>>
>>24890949
>Its "Not viable" or "Holy shit Lando T totally fucking destroys that"
>Jeebus christ wut huppuned

It's probably true then. If your team/pokemon gets butteraped by the top OU-threats, it's probably not worth it. But if it works, you can always go and climb up the ladder, and prove that you're right.
But honestly, even if someone says your set isn't viable: That doesn't mean you're not allowed to use it (depends, if you play Showdown or card).
>>
>>24891051
That wasnt the point is was trying to make
I mean when somebody comes up with a new pokemon concept, it isnt based on its design or possible use in game, its based almost solely on its potential in the meta.
Even in game mons are based soley on their meta capabilities.
Take for example the luxray line. Shinx is fucking adorable, luxio is kinda cool and luxray is one of the best looking mons of gen iv. However people shit on it because its a physical attcker with a shallow movepool, landing in Smogon PU. The point i was making is that people need to take things less seriously when competitively battling and the whole board as a general.
>>
>>24891047
bruh
>>
>>24891092
Why is smogon allowed to decide what the current meta is?
>>
>>24890849
Breloom has strong coverage (Facade/Rock Tomb), much more power behind it, and Spore.

Clefable doesn't really give a shit about taking Wood Hammer from Chesnaught, but +2 Facade almost KOs from full and Bullet Seed has a good chance to 2HKO unboosted.

There's a difference between having checks and giving them a completely free switch. Chesnaught does the latter.
>>
>>24891114
>decide
Smogon isnt a single person and they dont decide what a meta is, thats why its called a meta.

The meta is what is most often used, and metas generally evolve or change even with no added input. Even if Smogon didnt ban anything new and no new games/events are introduced, the meta will naturally shift from one focus (like stall, fast offensive mons, tank cores, etc.) to another as people use different things.

Example: Hyper offense becomes popular such that more than half the upper Elo players use teams around it. A few skilled players climb to top of the ladder using tank cores that counter the HO Teams, so the HO Teams slowly convert to building the tankier team that proved to be better and then wallbreakers and stall emerge to handle the Tank ladder-climbers while still doing well against the HO builds. So now the meta is Stall focused when it was HO a month and a half ago.
>>
>>24891092
>I literally don't know what competitive means
>>
>>24891092
But that isn't the point of competitive games. You usually play because you want to win, not because some Pokemon looks neat.
Luxray will probably never see the light of even RU, because of it's meager movepool and bad speed-tier. It's good enough ingame, but for competitive? Meh.
>>
File: image.jpg (136 KB, 1221x654) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
136 KB, 1221x654
>>24886526
OU material desu family
>>
>>24871386
>Not forming the ultimate pink regen core of slowbro and amoongus
>>
>>24893263
>pink regen core of slowbro and amoongus
>pink amoongus
>pink

I got some bad news for ya...
Thread replies: 123
Thread images: 18

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.