[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Adding more Pokemon is Unnecesary
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /vp/ - Pokemon

Thread replies: 46
Thread images: 7
File: 1429080662366.jpg (126 KB, 900x863) Image search: [Google]
1429080662366.jpg
126 KB, 900x863
Doesn't it seem like there are enough pokemon already? Sure, many of you will say that there are some obvious or neat ideas that haven't been done yet, like dolphins or certain type combinations, but when is enough enough? The power creep is already getting to be retarded enough that old pokemon have needed stat increases. How bad is it going to be when there are 1000+ pokemon? Not to mention that ideas have already been repeated to death. How many pikaclones, magikarp clones, pidgey clones, rattata clones, dragonite clones etc. can there really be before it's time to stop? And sure, you might say they just need to release only original pokemon from now on, but how many good ideas are really left that players will accept as "good," AND would fit into the aesthetic of the world?

I would love to hear everyone's thoughts on this.
>>
>>24864917
I heard there was over 1000 Digimons. No one seems to be complaining about that.
>>
The pokemon games themselves aren't really good games, from the very beginning they were mediocre to downright bad JRPGs kept afloat solely by their monster catching mechanic. In fact I'd wager that most fans are really just fans of the monsters and world itself and not the games' mechanics to any signifcant degree, so adding more pokemon only introduces the possibility of finding your next well liked favourite.

Honestly? If gen VII didn't have any new pokemon I straight up wouldn't even buy it.
>>
>>24864932
If Gen VII didn't have any new Pokemon it'd still be Gen VI.
>>
>Series' core focus is discovering, collecting, and training new species of Pokemon.
>Says there should be no new species of Pokemon.

Um, no.
>>
>>24864943
Introducing a brand-new region with a brand new set of Gym Leaders/E4 would be ground to call it a new generation.
>>
I'm in a rough spot on this debate.

See, I mainly play to discover new Pokémon. White/Black were my favorite recent games because the entire roster was new until the post-game. I love the discovery, you know? So I'm partial to the addition of new Pokémon.

That said, it's true, there's already heaps of them. I don't think more would necessarily benefit the series.

Honestly, I feel that the series really should have ended already. I worry that they'll ride the series straight into the ground, wringing it for loose change the whole way down, and the last several games will be remembered as a tragedy. That, or the formula will change so drastically as to be totally different from the originals, for better or for worse. Pulling a Mario, basically.

So, to answer your question: I hope they release enough to push the count to 1000, then leave the series to die a noble death. They won't, but that's what I want.
>>
>>24864928
Actually, there are maybe 300-400 actual digimon, and a shitload of recolors/alternate forms/variants on them. Which most digimon fans will admit is pants on head retarded.
>>
>>24864917

>power creep

there are plenty of old pokemon that are still relevant to broken. in fact most of the top ones are relatively old, with megas and other new mechanics being an "update."

there are tones of combinations and niches that are untapped. there are tons of interesting creatures that could be made, and new moves/abilities/concepts etc.

>players accept it as good
players have different tastes you fucking mong, and there are literally millions of them. the more pokemon you make, the more likely you are to appeal to someone.

there is no such thing as too many pokemon.
>>
>>24864976
>there is no such thing as too many pokemon
Actually, this brings up another point. How long until there are so many pokemon that you can't possibly put all of them into one game? Digimon has to choose which monsters are going to be in every game that comes out because making models and animations for all of them, not to mention having enough game content to include and balance them all, would be impractical.
>>
>>24864998

gee I don't know, how long will technology keep advancing to add more storage space and processing power? because clearly the 3DS is the pinnacle of handheld devices.
>>
File: dimensional clash.jpg (871 KB, 750x1000) Image search: [Google]
dimensional clash.jpg
871 KB, 750x1000
I've sometimes played with the thought of next Gen starting out as a clean slate: Only the new Pokemon available, no access or possibility to transfer earlier species. Sealing one universe, and opening up another.

It's unlikely to happen since GF can, and already have up to this point, just decide what Pokemon should be available in the new region and then open up for everything else once you receive the National Dex, but starting anew would make for a last alternative if the sheer number of species would actually become an issue.
>>
>>24864932
>most fans are really just fans of the monsters and world itself and not the games' mechanics to any signifcant degree, so adding more pokemon only introduces the possibility of finding your next well liked favourite

Exactly this. Some are yet to complete their themed dream teams
>>
If we stopped getting new Pokemon the series may as well not exist, it's why new gens are so exciting
>>
>>24864917
There are 1000's of animals in real life and somehow nature has balanced the power creep. I'm sure GF can do the same.
>>
File: 1449906872924.jpg (115 KB, 618x381) Image search: [Google]
1449906872924.jpg
115 KB, 618x381
>>24864917
>Doesn't it seem like there are enough pokemon already?

No.
>>
>>24865005
>GF actually announces that they'll do this
>Whole new universe, coming soon
>Reveal livestream showing some new stuff
>All new Pokemon, new type chart, it's a new beginning!
>And for all our longtime fans...
>Collective excited silence
>SOME familiar faces might show up!
>Silhouettes of Pikachu, Lucario, Zubat, Tentacool
>>
>>24864976
>plenty of old pokemon that are still relevant to broken
I hate people always spouting this while they conveniently fail to add that those old pokemon get new tricks that benefit them and allow them to play on equal footing with the new meta while literally dozens more are left behind simply because they have not received any relevant buffs
>>
Yes, if you look at the sales history, the games that sell the most are the ones that introduce new Pokemon. People wanted Gold and Silver remakes bad but DP sales tower over HGSS's, for example.
>>
No it would be ridiculous to think that Pokémon could exist without a new batch of them every so often. It's the new pkmn that makes new generations such a hype train. I'm happy they also added mega's because that means older ones get a new form and less newer pkmn have to be created. I really can't image a series based on discovery and collecting to be stagnating when it comes to the thing it is making it sell. Pkmn is fun bcause of it renewing every so often. It remains fresh each time and that's a rare thing in todays gaming.
>>
File: Untitled.png (2 KB, 387x23) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.png
2 KB, 387x23
>>24864917
>How many pikaclones, magikarp clones, pidgey clones, rattata clones, dragonite clones etc. can there really be before it's time to stop?
Yeah, how dare there be more than one thing under one category!
>>
File: What the.jpg (140 KB, 397x366) Image search: [Google]
What the.jpg
140 KB, 397x366
>>24864917
There was already enough Pokemon at 151, I personally see everything else utterly unnecessary .
>>
>>24865097
This, Yellow should have been the last game.
>>
>>24864917

>>>/a/
>>
>>24865106
>Yellow
>muh anime designs

fuck off, we had no business going beyond Aka/Midori
>>
>>24865084
Magikarp isnt even an offender. It only has Feebas
>>
File: 5b9.png (124 KB, 463x469) Image search: [Google]
5b9.png
124 KB, 463x469
>>24865097
Nice b8

>>24865109
More like >>>>/4chan/

>>24865116
>Aka/Midori
Now that's what I call poser genwunner, saying the japanese names of Red/Green. Tip your fedora more.
>>
>>24864917
1 useable non-legendary mon for every type combo is all I ask.
>>
>>24865147
Capsule Monsters >>>>> Pokemon

respect your roots, you child
>>
File: KinglervsPinsir.jpg (22 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
KinglervsPinsir.jpg
22 KB, 480x360
>>24865159
You first, capsulekiddy.
>>
>>24864917
Thing is, most of those Pikemon that received stat boosts needed them in their own gen, too. Gf was just trying to feebly balance shit out.
>>
>>24865038
I thought it because they were new games and not remakes.
Did XY or ORAS sell more?
>>
>>24865036
It's based on sample size dumbass. A lot more gen one pokemon were good in gen one because there were no other options. At some point, the number of "OU" Pokemon stagnates, and Pokemon that were previously bottom OU will get bumped out by a few new OU mons. Pokemon has power creep, especially this gen, but it's not obscene (in most cases).
>>
>>24866515
>playing an unofficial meta
>>
>>24866515
>>24866515
>based on sample size
Fucking show your goddamn computation then if you're so clever

What you even said doesn't refute the fact that the those "old" pokemon in OU (which you then claim to mean power creep is either insignificant to nonexistent) get updated to stay relevant in the newer metas.
>>
>>24864917
I'm willing to wager that what you think Powercreep is, isn't what it actually is. On last check, each gen had a ~17% presence in OU, no one gets points for guessing the fraction at hand.

If you specifically meant them, the legendaries are the only Pokemon constantly upping the ante, and the Pokemon that are competing as such currently don't even make up 1% of all Pokemon.

Otherwise, GF could easily pass a thousand total Pokemon without repeating any previous designs, and they won't start getting awfully samey until they pass the ~1700 mark, if they play their cards right.
>>
>>24865016
Nigga pls.

Humans, ants, mice, mosquitoes, and kudzu vines are all clearly OP
>>
>>24866704
It isn't power creep as in newer generation pokemon constantly outclass older ones, it's power creep as in the game continuously gets more and more offensively oriented with the standard amount of damage most pokemon do constantly going up.
>>
The way I see it, as long as there are untouched regions of the Pokemon world, there should be new pokemon.

Just like there are different animals in different continents.

However, I do wish there was some sort of wider regional differences rather than a slew of new, uninspired ones in each place.
>>
>>24865097
>>24864917
Since we already jumped the shark and went full retard, might as well add some more.
>>
>>24864917
False. The new Pokemon is the appeal of each new generation.
>>
>>24864966
And the ones who "admit" that are the real retarded ones.

There is literally nothing wrong with it, Digimon is a series where data can be changed in a Digimon to the point they can be literally anything.

It makes sense for an Agumon that spent most of it's life in snowy areas or fighting ice-like Digimon to absorb more of that sort of data and being a YukiAgumon, or an Agumon that spent most of its life around virus data being a BlackAgumon. Same goes for most of the other variants or recolors, they add a level of variety to the world that simply doesn't exist in something like Pokemon. Not with entirely different species, but rather subspecies, which is not something that is retarded.
>>
>>24864917

fuck off genwunner
>>
What if instead of adding new pokemon, they spent the same amount of time adding detail to the world? Like more interesting NPCs, some sidequests, better graphics? I would much prefer that, personally.
>>
There needs to be less of the ones already known.
Get rid of babies and get rid of the ones literally nobody uses. Urssaring and Lumineon come to mind.
>>
>>24864966
Without recolors/alternate forms/variants there are still over 1000
Thread replies: 46
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.