[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
/vp/ i have a question for you who are likely into pokemon longer
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /vp/ - Pokemon

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1
File: 1450361149300.jpg (48 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
1450361149300.jpg
48 KB, 640x480
/vp/ i have a question for you who are likely into pokemon longer than me, how do you get rid of this "loop"? Like, i play pokemon games since i was a kid but regardless of what game i play, i always end up catching the same kind of pokemon and using the same strategies over and over, its always the same thing, regardless of what starter i pick or what pokemon i capture, i always end up needing to pick that one pokemon that will give me type advantage over the gym leader's pokemon, maybe grind some levels before that, and if i don't have any choice i overlevel one of my mons so i can get past him and receive my badge

My question is, what do you do to spice up things for yourself? Maybe use different items i may not be aware of, i know about the "catch pokemon you like" thing but the mons i enjoy are usually only avaliable a lot later in the game and it feels like a waste to only use one pokemon the whole time (unless that's the point and i am stupid), i am aware of challenges and i already tried some but it still doesn't feel right, i really, really enjoy pokemon but something feels missing, i can't tell what it is
>>
>>24862837
You can try a monotype run, something really gimmicky like not evolving anything for your playthrough, or a nuzlocke, otherwise don't stress over it too much.

Pokemon isn't that complicated. In the end, it's a kid's game. If you're getting bored of it, play something else for a while.
>>
>>24862837
I don't know what to tell you.

I personally always have to have a Fire-type and Water-type in my team if I have either one. I also have to have a Flying-type for obvious reasons.
>>
>>24862837
Just do a nuzlocke.
>>
>>24862837
Depends. What game are you going to play, OP?
>>
>>24862866
Already did, i was wondering if there are other ways to progress through the game besides "muh rock, paper scissors" and overleveling, i did missed a shitload of features by not paying enough attention over the years so maybe its that
>>
>>24862871
Recently started RGBY because i want to restart the whole franchise again, i know some people here don't like it due to its lack of balancing and features, but even these games have status and items i never payed attention to that might be important
>>
>>24862882
Well, what starter do you usually begin with? Don't pick that one and choose one of the other two, then start coming up with a team to build around that starter.

What are some of the main 'mons you usually keep placing on your team?
>>
I always make it a rule to use an entirely new team each run of a game I do. It's a great way to find unexpected bro's.

Another thing I like to do is ditch the starter if I've ran that particular game a few times.
>>
>>24862898
I am more into water types, but i tried going with Charmander this time for the sake of variety, my other mons are a spearow, Jiggly, and a karp, excluding others who are HM slaves

As for main mons i usually pick one of each kind for the rock paper scissors thing, usually start with a water type so i can beat rock gyms, maybe the usual flying type so i can use FLY later, and i aim at fire, grass, and rock types later for the same reason, perhaps i should not capture any other mons and leave empty spaces for mons i actually enjoy regardless of type? But what about type disadvantages? Should i stick with overleveling my mons? Maybe there are other ways to beat the gym leaders without needing to rely on those same tatics?
>>
>>24862913
Agreed. I've played several files on Emerald, Platinum and even White; all with completely different team combinations. I don't like reusing teams.
>>
>>24862916
Also adding, due to the things mentioned above, i usually only pick mons from the first half of the game, and later, when new mons appear i end up not capturing them since my team is already solid and that would be a waste of time
Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.