[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Name a flaw Protip: You can't
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /vp/ - Pokemon

Thread replies: 52
Thread images: 3
File: hgss.jpg (55 KB, 460x210) Image search: [Google]
hgss.jpg
55 KB, 460x210
Name a flaw

Protip: You can't
>>
>>24826717
Scaling
>>
>>24826717
The level curve sucks.
>>
all the good tms are too hard to get or just not available to you. besides that? perfect games
>>
>>24826717
Out of all the gens, I enjoyed gen III the most and gen II the least.
Not even trolling, this is just really my unpopular opinion. However, I have never played gen VI or the gen III remakes (sadly)
>>
Not enough Johto mons early on. I know Johto has shitty pokemon but come on. 3 of the 1st 4 leaders all had Kanto mons as an ace
>>
>>24826717
>You can't play it on VisualboyAdvance
>You don't get the GB Sounds item until the second half of the game
>Some of the remixes are inferior quality to the FR/LG remixes
>>
cant find a pokewalker without spending a bunch of jew gold
>>
File: 1404000054136.png (457 KB, 805x1001) Image search: [Google]
1404000054136.png
457 KB, 805x1001
>>24826717
All the flaws that Gen 2 had, including but not limited to:
>Terrible level scaling
>The worst region layout in the series with monumental HM abuse
>Almost all new Pokemon are locked to the postgame or so useless you wouldn't use them
>Bland, rehashed starters
>A feeble abortive attempt at overarching plot with the least credible villains in the series
>Regional trio that rehashes the Birds as Gerbils
>A Pokedex composed almost entirely of rejects from Gen 1. Literally Pokemon scraped out of the recycle bin when they realized they needed to rush out a sequel.

In addition, it added its own flaws not present in GSC, including but not limited to:
>A butchered version of Yellow's Pikachu that rendered every Pokemon utterly generic
>A terrible new minigame that most evolution items were locked behind
>Compositionally inferior versions of GSC's songs that ruin the ambiance of several areas
>A rehash of Platinum's battle area rather than anything fresh or relevant to the original Battle Tower
>Gen 4's horrendous load and save times, and a battle speed that crawls along, making this one of the hardest games to replay
>shoehorned Legendary Pokemon from other regions with no explanation simply to give it a sell
>gimmicky pedometer peripheral

Overall, they're okay games, but far and away the worst remakes Pokemon has yet seen.
>>
>>24826717
Kimono Girls

random girls from a building in Ecruteak are suddenly manipulating the entire plot from behind the scenes
>>
>>24826717
the only flaw i have with this game is that i feel that they scaled up the catch rate of legendarys, i cant catch shit, i just failed for the third time trying to catch ho-oh on soul silver, i was going to make a thread bitching about this, but seriously, i start with thunder wave and then false swipe until it is on 1 health, i just went through 56 ultra balls trying to catch it, which is 16 turns of paralyzing before it killed itself with a struggle, ive down this three times today, this is fucked, one 1 health and paralyzed. i still cant belive i cant catch this. otherwise this is my favorite pokemon game, a close second was pokemon black for me
>>
>le level scaling meme

The only people who complain about this are people who overgrind because they're shit at the game
>>
>>24826785
>shoehorned Legendary Pokemon from other regions with no explanation simply to give it a sell just like ORAS
>>
>>24826803
This. Imagine actually having to grind a little instead of steamrolling everything like with those easy as piss gen VI games.
>>
>>24826803
I generally disagree with the scaling argument, but around the 8th gym it does get pretty bad
>>
why people hate on Gen 2 so much i don't get it :'(
>>
>>24826785

>A terrible new minigame that most evolution items were locked behind
Nothing wrong with the Pokeathlon
>gimmicky pedometer peripheral
What's so bad about the Pokewalker? You don't have to use it. I'd rather get some kind of bonus as opposed to fucking nothing (ORAS)
>>
Poor level scaling
Shit selection of Mons, especially early game
Johto Mons come late in the game
Story is shit
Kanto is generally bland IMO

The feature list for this game is cool but the main campaign is rather bland.
>>
>>24826785
>scaling yea it sucked, but its manageable
>GTFO have you even played gen 3 or 4?
> only murcrow and houndour and do you really want to use them anyway?
>rehashed starters... in a remake, GTFO feraligator is a beast and typhlosion is ok with eruption
> this game litterally had the best plot, set after the events of the frist games with you dealing with the neo rocket trying to get giovani back. only gen 5 rivals this
>this was the first game to have a roaming trio and it put the birds exactly wear they wear in the third gen, makes completing the pokedex easier.
>bait
> bait
>the bug catching contest was a mini game?
> you had the GB key item if you didn't like the remixes
>it improved over platinum in every way, the battle frontier is awesome and the tutor moves are second to none
>you get the horrible save times, that sucked
>adding gen 1's mewtwo and the birds? despite that kanto is right next door? why would you need an explanation?
>it is a gimic, everything nintendo has brought out since the super nintendo has had a gimic, including every pokemon game ever
this is the worst argument i have ever heard
>>
File: photo-3411339.png (57 KB, 148x155) Image search: [Google]
photo-3411339.png
57 KB, 148x155
>>24826717
>Level curve is still garbage from GSC
>Whirlpool
>The WORST rematch system in the series has seen.
>Suddenly you are forced to catch Ho-Oh/Lugia
>Safari Zone went full retard with some of the requirements needed to get certain Pokemon to appear
>Can't buy coins
>Johto is still a manlet tier region
>Johto Rocket goal is literally taking over radio tower to contact their boss who doesn't give a fuck
>Still a shit selection of mons with some still being locked to Kanto
>Gym Leaders still have laughable teams with no Johto mons

opinions
>Worst starters, second only to Gen 5 in terribleness
>Wildly inconsistent soundtrack
>Kris > Lyra
>>
While the game is basically the best in terms of content, it does have a major flaw.

It's slow as shit. Literally.
>>
>>24826855
this, i just can't see how you would think that Gen 2 has the worst region layout
>>
No room and dolls.
>>
Really didn't like G/S that much even when they were new

they didn't feel like much of a difference immediately off of R/B and Yellow was my all time favorite for a long time

then R/S/E came along and blew me away with how dramatic the change was

GenIV in general was a big letdown though I did enjoy platinum, HG/SS were alright but really my dislike of G/S killed it for me.
>>
The games are plenty flawed. Some of my gripes have already been posted:

- Gen 4's speed (while a step up from D/P, it's still pretty slow.)
- Kimono Girls, in regards to how they're integrated into the story. Like, I want to go to the Pokemon League, but no. Gotta go fight that box legend first. Yeah, you don't have to catch it right then and there, but my issue lies with having to go through the process just to advance the game.
- The way the Safari Zone is handled. Basically, I feel like some features (like area switching) should have been available right out of the gate and leaving the extra shit for the post-game.
- I actually liked the Pokeathlon Dome, but didn't like how I had to wait until a certain day to get a stone I wanted. This is more of a Gen 2 quirk anyway, but annoying nonetheless.
- Kanto doesn't feel very lively. It feels even more dead to me in the remakes. I imagine this one is more of a personal thing, but to me it shouldn't feel less lively than fucking Johto, one of the chillest regions in the series.

I mean, I still like HGSS but they aren't my favorite in the series.

>>24826785
>Almost all new Pokemon are locked to the postgame or so useless you wouldn't use them
This is less of an issue with HGSS since the Safari Zone adds some to Johto and there's also Gen 4 evolutions applied to a handful of them. Glad they didn't repeat that shit FRLG did.

>Bland, rehashed starters
Can you elaborate on that?

>>24826802
You just have shit luck. The catchrate is the same in general.

I also had shit luck and failed to catch Lugia multiple times in SoulSilver.

>>24826803
>overgrind
There aren't even any good grinding spots to begin with. That and shit gets ridiculous around the 8th gym.
>>
>>24826717
Shit scaling
Shit pokemon selection
>>
Am I the only one who stops playing right after beating Lance?

I remember how much of a pain in the ass was Crystal with boring ass Kanto gym fights with the only reward of having an exciting match with red with your team around level 60 unless of course you want to go full autism and get them to 70 and higher so it's another non-challenging fight like the rest of the game.

Really as soon as I set foot on Kanto and sweep Lt Surge I just lose all interest to keep playing HG.
>>
I'm currently playing through Soul Silver for the first time, played gens 1-3 and ORAS. I don't have the Pokewalker so I'm doing all the leveling and catching in-game on my own.

Holy fucking shit.

>>24826866
THIS.
35+ hours in, and I've only just beaten Whitney and caught Sudowoodo.
The wild pokemon aren't even good for grinding, much less training up into a team of capable fighters.

The graphics are lovely, and I admit the nostalgia factor is high; I remember a lot of things word-for-word from playing Silver and Crystal. Johto was my favorite region...but damn, I guess I'm getting old or something because it's not even fun, it's just tedious.

Say what you want about ORAS but at least playing it isn't a chore. I'm not even through a fraction of the game and I'm already tempted to drop it out of exasperation.
>>
>>24826717
OP here. I guess I'm just a massive Gen 2 fag
>>
-Pros
>Johto has good atmosphere, Ecruteak is one of my favorite Pokemon cities for this reason alone, it's bursting with it and the fall setting is really nice looking in 4th gen
>Added a Safari Zone which even puts in some of the rarer Johto Pokemon that were inaccessible until later in the game during 2nd Gen, this is something that Johto desperately needed
>Following Pokemon is cute
>Pokeathelon is a lot of fun
>Added tons of Legendaries

-Cons
>Pretty much everything else
>The game is still piss-easy even with the totally shallow grinding pool, Gym Leaders scarcely put up a fight, and unless you're Nuzlocking this game you won't have any trouble beating it until Red. Gym Leader's Pokemon are pathetic, they're hardly been edited since GSC and while they've stagnated we've been given access to more ways to beat them. When half of the first gyms can, for the most part, be swept by a fucking Geodude, your game has a problem, this is only marginally harder to do now than in GSC since the Gastly line has levitate. How people can shit on OR/AS when this game didn't even fucking try is beyond me.
>Pokemon availability is still extremely limited. For rare Pokemon like Dunsparce, Yanma, Qwilfish, you still have to rely on the gimmicky phone system to get a swarm unless you want to spend AN HOUR running around looking for the stupid things. Not to mention, even though the Safari Zone added some Johto mons to the main game, it still fails to add some like Houndour and, unless you magically know the code to get the egg from Primo, Slugma.
>The story
>To clarify, everything about the story is either shit or uninspired. Team Rocket is back and I don't know why or what they're doing but we have to stop them I guess. The new leader or these Rockets is an admin who shows up once and was completely nameless in GSC. Whoopee. And their big goal in the whole game was to take over a radio tower and cry to Giovanni. Ok. So Team Rocket's involvement is trivial at best.

>Continued
>>
Gen 2 is great. Also, don't try to incite genwars.

MODS
MODS
MODS
>>
>>24827232
>I'm not saying Team Rocket should have a big, doomsday, destroy the world type plan like Team Galactic or something, but come on, give me something to work with.
>The Legendary Pokemon are shit too. At least as far as their involvement in the story. Raikou, Entei and Suicune are non-entities who have nothing to do with anything except Suicune who wants you to chase it's ass all over the fucking world and has the gall to not even be available until post-game. Now, that's fine that they're not involved with the story, all it means is you have two more pages to fill in your Pokedex, it's a challenge like the Legendary Birds in the previous games. My problem is, they show up in the middle of the story and are just shown to you. Like with the Legendary Birds or Mewtwo, you had to go out of your way to look for super powerful Pokemon. Here, they're shown to you, and then just run the fuck away and have nothing to do with anything, go fuck yourself. You never even have to fight Eusine, he's as much a non-entity as the beasts themselves.
>Lugia and Ho-oh are completely forced into the story for no real reason. Again, I'm not saying they should be causing some sort of world-wide cataclysm as incentive for me to catch them, catching them all is incentive enough for me. But if you're going to involve them in the plot, which is kind of a necessity for modern Pokemon games, you have to make them do SOMETHING. I mean, what, the Kimono Girls are all "Oh yeah, this kid. He's got the goods." and just get you to catch a Box Legend. I feel like in another story, this would be some kind of trap.

>Continued again
>>
>>24827251
A bunch of dancing babes are telling you that if you perform a ritual or whatever, you get one of the strongest Pokemon in the world, just in time for your Pokemon League challenge? Gee that's fucking convenient, thanks, what do I owe ya? Oh, nothing? You're doing this for no reason? I mean, sure, I guess they might go to you because you're a strong trainer, but they start this after the first fucking gym. Who's to say Bug Catcher Tommy isn't going to be the one to awaken Lugia, he has a Gym Badge. And why go to anyone in the first place? Why awaken them at all? You're going to trust some nobody with the capture of these giant bird monsters? Aren't you supposed to be guarding these things? Now people might be sick of the "Evil Team awakens Box Legend to do their bidding or whatever" plot, but the thing is, it's a good way of getting your box legend into the game's story and giving you extra incentive to catch it. You're not just some lab assistant collecting bugs in a jar, you're saving the fucking world. I already said that extra incentive is unnessecary, but again, if you're going to put your Box Legend into the story, it has to be for a reason, not JUST so you can catch it and feel special.
>Silver is an ok character, but again, he feels kind of pointless to have in the story. He doesn't really do anything aside from wander around, occasionally bumping into you to talk about how much he hates weaklings, fighting you, harumphing and running back. Blue/Green/Gary/DICKS/Whatever, isn't much better, but at least he has more reason to be there. Not only is he your friend and rival, so there's more gratification for your character to fight him and win, he also becomes the fucking Champion, that's some big shit right there. Barry or whatever you called him is in the same boat, but he also gets involved with the Dialga/Palkia/Giratina plot at different points in the story. Silver, meanwhile, feels like an obstacle rather than a real threat or rival.

>Cont.
>>
>>24827266
>Lyra/Ethan is fucking useless, forgettable and boring, but I can say the same about Dawn/Lucas in DPPt. Elm is also easily the weakest Pokemon Professor, Oak outshadows him in his own game, they may as well have not even bothered with him.
>The Post Game is still lame. Battle Frontier aside, even if it is Platinum's Battle Frontier again, people who shit on OR/AS, what the hell the post game is just a lobotomized Kanto, same as it ever was. Gym Leaders still suck, same as the main game, if you felt like grinding you can go stick a hot metal rod up your ass because there's still nowhere to do that, you may as well just challenge the Pokemon League over and over again.
>Trainer rematches are bullshit. The Gym Leader rematch system is fucking retarded and relies on the same gimmicky phone method I was already complaining about. So, yeah, unless you've been stocking up on phone numbers, you just have underleveled wild Pokemon to train against. Go fuck yourself. Gym Leader rematches are just that touch worse, where now you have to meet the Gym Leader at a specific place at a specific time and only then are they free to take your challenge, never mind getting their phone number in the first place. The fights themselves are ok.
>I guess I don't like how it's hailing in the Red fight.
I think that's it. The Johto games are easily my least favorite of the bunch, but they're still fun. I'm of the opinion that there isn't a fundementally BAD Pokemon game, at least as far as the main games go, but Johto games are the ones I have to turn my brain off for the most. Or at least cheat in some Blisseys to grind off of, Christ. I spent way too much time writing all this crap.
>>
>these niggers
the pokedex and that's literally it. Maybe erasing Kris from existance as well
>>
>>24827251
>>24827266
>>24827271
newfag fuck off. Your palette lacks sophistication.
>>
>>24827232
>>24827251
>>24827266
>>24827271
thank you, hopefully this will stop HGSS sheeps to keep calling that game as the second coming of christ just because MUH FOLLOWING POKEMAN
>>
Until you go to Kanto you can't get slugma, houndour, misdreavus, murkrow, sneasel and larvitar.

yanma, dunsparce, and qwilfish are only found in swarms.

So yeah a good chunk are unavailable. Kinda disappointing how you can get certain gen 4 pokemon by the 6-7th gym making the game even easier.
>>
>>24826717
Everyone circlejerks about how awesome it was to have two regions in one game, but imo they blew it here. Johto suffered immensely due to Kanto's inclusion.
>>
i always thought that gen 2 had the best soundtrack
>>
Everyone seems to forget that GSC were almost like an expansion to the original games. It was fucking awesome, and most of the comparisons made in these threads would not be an issue because the other four games weren't even in existence. GEN 5 SUCKS GO JOHTO, KANTO, SINNOH, maybe Kalos
>>
>>24827709
except even when it first came out it was a bit of a letdown when you expected a whole new different game and it ended up feeling like an expansion.
>>
>>24827333

Larvitar and at least some others could be found in the Safari Zone.
>>
My pokewalker batteries are all dead.
>>
I didn't especially enjoy it until I emulated it and AR'd in a couple of otherwise not-available-until-postgame mons. I played Gold so much as a kid that I had used pretty much every Pokemon I cared about in those games. But going through with a Murkrow and a Larvitar? Fuck yeah, that was awesome.
>>
The level curve is as flat as Lucina's chest.
>>
>>24827984
Shouldn't you be making negative comparisons?
>>
>>24827271
>the post game is just a lobotomized Kanto
Were you expecting two games for the price of one? What exactly was taken out that was so important?
>>
>>24826717
no challenging Cynthia at Shinjo ruins
shitty Giovanni fight
no early GB sound access
>>
>>24827251
>You never even have to fight Eusine
You do actually, he's just really weak.
>>
>>24828057
I mean he is literally skippable. You are never required to fight him, if you ignore Suicune at Cianwood, he never challenges you. Useful tip for speedruns.
>>
>>24826717
I agree. They're not my top favorite games, but they are pretty flawless in general. BW2 are my favorites, but I consider them flawed. Their high points are just higher than HGSS'.
Thread replies: 52
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.