[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Unova
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /vp/ - Pokemon

Thread replies: 103
Thread images: 18
File: Unova_B2W2_alt[1].png (1 MB, 960x533) Image search: [Google]
Unova_B2W2_alt[1].png
1 MB, 960x533
Discuss.
>>
BONNIE'S TIGHT HOLES
>>
Decently-designed cities ruined by terrible BW instruments. I literally want to run away immediately from Castelia City every time I visit because I can't stand its music and its terrible elevators, making item quests hell.

Routes are pretty darn well-designed though; aside from a few exceptions, no routes are truly monotonous unlike foresty routes in many in other games. I dislike how everything's linear, though.
>>
White/Black were refreshing--having all new Pokémon was amazing after the tragedy that was Gen IV's spread.

White 2 had the best Pokémon selection of all time. The best.

But the region itself is a mixed bag. Well designed locations, but so linear that it feels more like an amusement park ride with nice visuals than an organic exploration.
>>
>>24819354
I loved this region when I was kid.
>>
>>24819354
based on shanghai
>>
>>24819386
>when I was a kid

please don't
>>
Best region. Layout is a bit simplistic in B/W, but has a ton of character and some of the most distinct, memorable locations in the series. B/W2 fixes many of the problems it had in B/W and makes it easily my favorite region in the series.
>>
>>24819397
>Best region
Stopped reading there.
>>
>>24819439
>Stopped reading there.

That's a shame. You missed my reasons for why it's my favorite region. You don't have to agree, but I don't think it's an unreasonable opinion.
>>
>>24819354
The layout looks quite poorly designed. It seems more like board game where you advance from point to point which is very linear rather than a region that you have to explore. You can tell it was probably the first map the creator ever made.
>>
>>24819460
>very linear rather than a region that you have to explore

It's really no more linear than any other region. Pokemon has never been an open-world series. There have been very, very few instances where you had any meaningful choice as to where to go next. The only difference in Unova is that the design is somewhat more simplistic. I don't think there's actually substantially less choice in where to go next than in any other game.
>>
>>24819354
It's weird because I feel like Unova was wonderful (aside from the 3D city which felt ugly and tedious) and Sinnoh was less so, yet I find Sinnoh so much more fun to relive, whereas playing BW2 through Unova for the second time felt so boring. Unova feels tedious and overplayed for me despite being one of the regions I've played the least. I don't know what it is.

It is home to my favourite pokémon Cinccino though <3
>>
>>24819483
While it's true that the player has never had much choice in direction, other Pokémon games have done a better job of hiding that from the player with branching paths, backtracking, cities and towns off of the main path, etc. But Unova was just a straight walk down the path. Like it was on a track, you know?
>>
>>24819483
This^
Masuda streamlined Unova to where it was more simplistic but the exploration elements are still there, just pushed more towards the post-game where you're more interested in exploring. I'm sure there was some backlash at the time to how messy Sinnoh turned out, so Masuda went with a design that didn't require back-tracking to get through the gyms.
>>
File: HGSS_Johto.jpg (2 MB, 3000x2013) Image search: [Google]
HGSS_Johto.jpg
2 MB, 3000x2013
>>24819483
I was talking about the layout. In general pokémon games are linear, yes but the way the unova map was designed is what my complaint was directed to.

Compare it with Johto for example.
>>
>>24819354
The constantly moving pixel art sprites were so pretty in bw and bw2. I wish they had never switched to ugly ass 3d models.
>>
>>24819558
boring
>>
>>24819558
>dat cloud over the Battle Frontier
>>
>>24819460
>first map the creator ever made
what
even if you don't like the game that's a ridiculous assumption
I'll agree that the routes didn't have that Hoenn level of exploration, but for me that was made up for by the characters and story
>>
>complaining about "linearity" in pokemon games

thanks for the laughs /vp/
>>
Extremely linear and filled with a clusterfuck of geographical features
>>
The desert has no reason to exist
>>
>>24820001
It's there to trigger Americans about ground zero
>>
>>24820091

I live in New York City, and the "desert = ground zero" thing is nonsense. Nobody who lives here actually believed that. It's obviously just to add some geographic diversity to the region.
>>
File: unovaislove.jpg (21 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
unovaislove.jpg
21 KB, 480x360
>>
>>24819393
>http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Unova

> In his director's column, Junichi Masuda suggested that the geographical and social background for Unova draws inspiration from the New York City metropolitan area.[1][2] Although it is geographically based on New York City, it draws inspiration for its landmarks from the entire state of New York, which features a mixture of rural locations and urban areas as well as factory towns and industrial complexes.

sorry, it's jew york
>>
>>24820181

You're responding to bait. Everybody knows that it's New York. He's referring to a time before Masuda's column came out, when some people were idiotically arguing that Unova was based on Shanghai, despite it being incredibly obviously New York. It was very satisfying to see them BTFO so hard when the article you cite came out.
>>
File: braviaryamerica.jpg (57 KB, 717x538) Image search: [Google]
braviaryamerica.jpg
57 KB, 717x538
>>24819354

amazing region, one of my favourites.

honestly i knew so little going into White 1. I didn't even get it during the first day of release, got it for Easter and boy was it fun.
>>
>>24819393
Man, has it already been 4-5 years since those Manhattan vs Shanghai threads?
>>
File: jsbw9k.gif (2 MB, 464x243) Image search: [Google]
jsbw9k.gif
2 MB, 464x243
>>24820253
>tfw D/P is almost a decade old
>tfw melee + mario sunshine is even older than that

;w;
>>
File: obama-laugh1.jpg (279 KB, 660x440) Image search: [Google]
obama-laugh1.jpg
279 KB, 660x440
>>24820251
>Pokemon literally based on the colors of the American flag and the US's national bird symbol
>B-But Shanghai
>>
>>24819376

>Best pokemon selection

X/Y says hi
>>
File: Top10.png (14 KB, 154x304) Image search: [Google]
Top10.png
14 KB, 154x304
Unova had really nice Pokémon.
>>
File: y.jpg (9 KB, 256x197) Image search: [Google]
y.jpg
9 KB, 256x197
>>24820812
>Eelektross no longer stands and dance in battle
>>
>>24820826
But his 3d model is fuging great m8.
>>
>>24819354
LOVE
>>
File: BWash.jpg (1 MB, 3476x2880) Image search: [Google]
BWash.jpg
1 MB, 3476x2880
worst anime season
>>
BW would have been even better if the map layout was as good as sinnoh. The only complaint people have about BW is the linearity of Unova. If the map was better there would be no excuse to hate BW other than people with shit taste hating the entire pokedex because of vaniluxe and trubbish.
>>
This game should have been a starting point for something better. This game having a simple layout for progression but the next one much different but still using the same kind of gameplay as BW. Only being able to use regional pokemon instead of throwing the older ones in there not only makes sense in terms of the pokemon world discovering pokemon, but it would give people reasons to play different games and have something exclusive about the game. In game, just regional mon, but in arcade mode where you can play with others you can use any of the 700+ pokemon.
>>
>>24820947
>worst anime season

No, Johto is still the worst. BW is merely the most disappointing. It had a ton of creative, original ideas, that unfortunately were executed terribly. It could have been great, but didn't carry through on most of what it promised, and the result was a disappointing, disjointed mess. Still, better that than the three-year snoozefest that was Johto.
>>
>>24819354
Poor representation of america
>>
>>24821115
This. Not enough Remoraids.
>>
>>24819728
Holy kek, remember the OR/AS map also has an obstructive cloud and everyone thought it was the Frontier?

And it just ended up being a copypasted Maison.
>>
>>24820947
heteronormative bullshit.
>>
>>24819354
No matter how many times I look at Unova the only thing that comes to mind is why the fuck does New York have a desert?
>>
>>24821178
Some speculate that it's a 9/11 reference because Route 4 is about where the towers would be and that there's a lot of construction going on. Of course, it's not a direct reference. They just wanted a desert region with ancient ruins near by. Best desert region in the franchise by far. I caught half of my team in White there.
>>
>>24821218
I never heard that speculation before, wont dismiss it. Those ruins were pretty nice.
>>
>>24821218
Unovas form based on New York but the location in states and cities in US.
Nimbasa City is Las Vegas and the desert could be Nevada/Death Valley or Mojave Desert.
>>
>>24820947
The main characters and rivals were the worst.

But some side stuff and gyms were ok.
>>
>>24821302
>Nimbasa City is Las Vegas
>Subway hub, musicals, sports venues, right in the middle of Unova's main island

No, Nimbasa City is Times Square.
>>
>>24821302
Better evidence for this is that Virbank represents the northwest (Seattle, Portland, etc.), Humilau is Hawaii/Florida, and Undella is Florida/Southern California. Moor of Icirrus might be a reference to Everglades.
>>
> Worst region
> Worst team
> Worst pokemon
> Mediocre legends, but holy shit Black and White Kyurem's so ugly.
> Worst music paired with a hard elite four. Not worth it.
1/10 Wouldn't recommend
>>
>>24822061
>Virbank represents the northwest

I think you're overthinking it. An industrial port area just across the river from "Manhattan"... Virbank is just North Jersey.
>>
>>24822123
I guess that's true, but the fact that it's a port where it rains frequently and where there's a big music scene really makes it seem to be a nod to Seattle. I go to school in NY currently, but I've worked in Seattle and Virbank never fails to remind me of that city.

Let's not forget that Pokestar Studios is a reference to Hollywood, either.
>>
>>24820812
>fart fish
>dancing eel
>good
>>
File: worldslargeststunfiskcollection.jpg (121 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
worldslargeststunfiskcollection.jpg
121 KB, 1024x768
>>24822199
Brofisk is love, Brofisk is life.
>>
File: ManaIbe.gif (135 KB, 653x533) Image search: [Google]
ManaIbe.gif
135 KB, 653x533
Gen 5 had some nice Pokémon Designer.
>>
>>24822612
>Victini
3/10
>Herdier
5/10
>Darm line
8/10
>Pikaclone
0/10
>Frillish line
4/10
>Hax line
7/10
>Stunfisk
why/10
>keys
4/10
>>
>>24822632
Victini - 6/10
Herdier - 8/10
Darm - 8/10
Frill - 4/10
Jell -8/10
Ax/frax/hax - 8/10
Stun - 6/10
Kfelki - 6/10

It's subjective, but I prefer my pokemon to not all be edgy/cool. Sometimes I like funny/ cute ones more. My big gripe with some of the newer pokemon are that the designs are too varied they need to mesh. Barbaracle and chesnaught are almost unforgivable but I can deal with the stunfisks and klefki type stuff.
>>
>>24822675
I like Stunfisk. Victini and other pixies are almost as bad as pikaclones in my opinion in that they all look more or less the same, or have the same proportions and tone to their design when Mew already perfected it. Klefki has an alright concept but the design is lacking. They basically just put a vague face on a set of keys and called it a day.
>>
I should also say I really like the Herdier line. 5/10 was a lowball since it is literally my mom's dog
>>
File: JamesTurner.png (225 KB, 637x565) Image search: [Google]
JamesTurner.png
225 KB, 637x565
>>24822612
Hello guyz
>>
>>24822707
>ice cream
0/10
>Go-line
8/10
>buzzard line
6/10
>treeline
7/10

honestly not bad albeit he spawned one of the worst Pokemon of all time
>>
>>24822093
I respect your opinions anon, please tell us which region/gen is best?
>>
>>24822612
Shit designs except Frillish
>>
File: Hitoshi Ariga.png (257 KB, 641x625) Image search: [Google]
Hitoshi Ariga.png
257 KB, 641x625
I'm sure he would design the best Pokémon for Gen 5.
>>
>>24822717
>one of the worst Pokemon of all time
Has anyone ever provided an actual reason for it being one of the worst other than just "it's ice cream"? because I've never heard one
>>
>>24823108
Personally, I'm cool with it being ice cream. I hate the straw, lack of color variation, and its face. However, I do like Vanillite quite a bit.
>>
>>24823108
I used to hate it but I still used it in a White run just for the hell of it. Holy shit, was it destructive. Slow as hell, but it consistently OHKO'd things. Of course, this is the games I'm talking about. Competitively, it's probably shit.
>>
File: shanghai map.jpg (1 MB, 1684x2254) Image search: [Google]
shanghai map.jpg
1 MB, 1684x2254
>>24819354
>Unova is based on NYC
>>
>>24819354
Almost good, but the desert should have been a big forest
>>
>>24823108
doesn't matter what they say when they are factually wrong since magnemite, muk, that trash thing, the gears, dunsparce, luvdisc and other shit still exist
>>
>>24823383
>magnemite, muk,

Meme least favourites. Muk is just okay, but have people seriously been so brainwashed by muh unovadex le genwunners that they don't like Magnemite?
>>
>>24823027
Looking at it, Tyrunt really has his style.
>>
File: Ketchupie.jpg (10 KB, 334x221) Image search: [Google]
Ketchupie.jpg
10 KB, 334x221
>>24823108
>I've never heard one
>literally just ice cream with a face
>inb4 people start defending that as good design
>>
I'd like to see what Unova is like under the current timeline, but odds are, we'll see Kanto/Johto or Sinnoh before we see Unova again.
>>
>>24823399
I remember how me and none of my friends liked that pile of trash. Seriously every other mon had at least one supporter but that guy.

Muk was close but got one when he killed that bellsprout that almost sweeped Ash in the anime. But seriously a metal ball with an eye, two magnets and some screws? And then you glue 3 of them and call it a day? Do people unironically like that pile of shit?

Muk, Voltorb and Magneton are some of the best examples of what shit and lazy design you can find in the game. They are on par with icecream and gears easily.
>>
File: Gen V Magnemite.jpg (12 KB, 361x323) Image search: [Google]
Gen V Magnemite.jpg
12 KB, 361x323
>>24823426
>>
File: Gen V Magnemite.png (40 KB, 382x336) Image search: [Google]
Gen V Magnemite.png
40 KB, 382x336
>>24823428
Not quite
>>
>>24823426
Muk, Magnemite and Voltorb are such simple designs with simple ideas behind them. I can get not liking Electrode. Only an autist would hate those three... oh, wait.
>>
>>24823482
only genwunners would like them
>>
>>24823487
>genwunners
spotted the redditor

liking something that's older than something else isn't a bad thing

>>24823477
spot fucking on

people who don't like Magneton make me sick
fuck Voltorb and Electrode though
>>
>>24823497
it is if it's magnemite, muk or voltorb
>>
>>24823487
>genwunners

You're using this term as if people who don't like Unova must exclusively like Gen 1. But in reality, they probably like stuff from every region except Gen V. Instead of "genwunner" you should just say "normal pokemon fan".
>>
>>24823502
normal pokemon fan wouldn't like magnemite so not really
>>
Voltorb and Electrode were good pokemon solely for people interacting with their overworld sprites thinking they were items

>see an item
>go to pick it up
>oh shit its an electrode
>it's fast and knows self destruct
>>
>>24823505
Also the fact that they are just round balls is what makes them good for this. No other pokemon should try it. Looking at you, Amoongus.
>>
>>24822093

epic
>>
>>24819524
>implying backtracking is a good thing
>>
Gen 5 has my favorite champion (Who's in BW2), nice main characters, the Pokemon in the region were refreshing to see, after several Pokemon in Gen 4 were evolutions of older Pokemon.

Both games were a nice experience to me, so I was very surprised to hear that there are many people who had poor experiences with the games.
>>
>>24823689
>Both games were a nice experience to me, so I was very surprised to hear that there are many people who had poor experiences with the games.
this is why xy were as shit as they were
>>
>>24823027
Absolutely fucking based
>>
>>24820674
>Best
>All the best Pokemon are around level 20 in the wild and you're halfway through the game before you can reach them.
>>
Gen 5 arent my favorite games, but I really loved the amount of real life research they did in designing the region.
>>
>>24826897
yea desu I'd have to agree that BW2 are my favorite games

though desu Gen III for me is still my favorite, idk why people seem to dislike them both.
>>
>>24823428
>>24823477
Epic meme, friendo.
>>
>>24826539
Sorry that you had to wait until gym 3 to get your lucario, bud
>>
>>24819354
Best region ever
>>
>>24824383
What?
>>
>>24819354
Terrible leveling. All of the Pokemon evolve at ridiculous levels. Worst regional bird. Very few core elemental Pokemon available: want water?hope you like the tadpole. Like fire? pick the snake to get a monkey, or walk around the forest looking for shaking grass and cross your fingers for same monkey. Terrible TMs introduced. Worst cities. Large city is just a city done in aerial view. Linear, handheld story. Terrible rivals and villians. Forgettable gym leaders- just because they talk more and all refuse to battle you until you do something villians related doesn't mean that they matter. Gay-ass ferris wheel ride with N. First 2 gyms have Normal type as the type. Pathetic champion and E4 pokestar studio. Sports fields. No fishing rod or daycare until postgame. And more more more.
>>
>>24828715
Nigga, Fire-types are never common early game. BW2 had Magby and Growlithe before first gym. BW had Darumaka before third gym (earlier than most games).
>gay-ass
You're not old enough to be on /vp/.
>terrible tms
>in the gen that introduced scald, volt switch, hone claws, sludge wave, wild charge, dragon tail
Not to mention Venoshock and Work Up are fantastic early game. Round is also my favorite move in Triples, but that's a personal anecdote.
>all pokemon evolve at ridiculous levels
Yeah. It's called a challenge. Don't worry, they get rid of any semblance of a challenge in the next gen.
>linear, handheld story
Welcome to Pokemon. It's a game on a handheld.
>terrible rivals and villains
Subjective opinion that's objectively shit.
>forgettable gym leaders
And this confirms bait.
>pathetic champion
Who? Iris? Yeah fucking right. Try playing Challenge Mode sometime.
>sports fields
Do you hate daily exp opportunities or something?
>no daycare until postgame
Only in BW2.
>>
>>24828793
I meant before second gym for Magby and Growlithe.
Thread replies: 103
Thread images: 18

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.