[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Am I the only one who loves THESE remakes? You guys always talk
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /vp/ - Pokemon

Thread replies: 58
Thread images: 3
File: firered-leafgreen.jpg (85 KB, 470x235) Image search: [Google]
firered-leafgreen.jpg
85 KB, 470x235
Am I the only one who loves THESE remakes? You guys always talk about HG/SS and OR/AS but never these.
>>
>>24819034
They're all right.

Blocking cross gen evos was an awful decision, though.
>>
>>24819068
Being autistically close to RBY is it's only flaw, really. The OST is the best of the series by far just because of that awesome snare sample.
>>
>>24819034
They are my favourite genIII games and I played them countless times.
>>
File: FireRed 251_05.png (6 KB, 240x160) Image search: [Google]
FireRed 251_05.png
6 KB, 240x160
Best games, best girl.
>>
Sevii Islands were pretty good addition.
>>
>>24819083
>>24819096
Are you the same two people who keep wanting new kanto-remakes?
>>
>>24819034
I legitamately skipped them solely because there was no blue version.

I have since then come to realize that it's only fair green got a version and they weren't going to remove red for green so it's only natural blue would get swapped but it still bummed me out
>>
>>24819184
Blastoise is a shitty starter anyway m8
>>
>>24819083
>The OST is the best of the series
agreed, the original 8-bit music is still good but FRLG soundtrack is amazing, expecially some of the battle themes which have sort of a... western vibe put onto them, weirdly enough
>>
>>24819205

The champion theme is my favorite music from any pokemon game ever.
>>
>>24819137
this
I loved the feeling of mystery and adventure that surrounded the islands
>>
Nah you're not the only one OP, they're great. Good OST, good sprite work, decent post game. The only problem I have going back to them is the physical/special move split but that'd what ROM patches are for
>>
>>24819205
Agreed, I just feel like every song is a major improvement on RBY's OST while at the same time keeping that melancholic vibe that makes RBY's music really good.
>>
>>24819137
yep they were awesome, better than just having legendaries everywhere
>>
>remake was actually needed due to gen 1 being super outdated
>improvements to a bunch of stuff like movepools
>additional content that you can easily skip if you want the "original experience"

Basically what a remake should be and the fact that same company pushed out ORAS years later almost makes me want to cry

Still a terrible game forever because FUCK YOU FOR NOT LETTING MY GOLBAT EVOLVE YOU PIECE OF SHIT
>>
>>24819034
Loved FireRed. I also bought Leaf Green. These are the only games where I can legitimately say I restarted a lot of times just to experience them again.
>>
They're not discussed much because they're just Kanto without the nostalgia factor. The only major addition were the Sevii islands, which weren't all that significant. FRLG weren't bad, just kind of underwhelming.
>>
I loved them as a kid, but now the sprites and music bug me. There's something with sprites like Graveler, Machoke or Kingler that feels wrong, and the OST just isn't as good as RSE's and doesn't sound as good as the original. But I still have really good memories of those and the Sevii Islands are great, and they're a lot of fun to play and replay through.
>>
I enjoy them but I need more Pokémon to catch and to learn about.
>>
>>24819189
no u
>>
I only post to create a flame war.

HGSS WERE SUPERIOR. FRLG ARE SHIT. SHIT SHIT SHIT HATE HATE HATE 4TH GEN THE BEST LALALALALA.
>>
My favorite remake, and top 3 in the series just after BW and Crystal.
>>
>>24819034
They may not have postgame level curve problems, lack an egg that gives you shiny mons more often, or hand you Articuno, but these are the real worst remakes.
>>
>>24819137
Yep.
>>
>>24819297
Tamashii?
>>
>>24819034
I don't think they are good, I just think they are the least shit. HG/SS are overrated shit. It still has shit scaling and shit variation of pokemon. All you can find are graveller and shit bug types. Most of the pokemon you find aren't even from johto. ORAS was a disaster, it's casualized as fuck and boring, there isn't even a BF. FRLG is what gen I should have been like. The first game isn't that special but it's the first game so it should be done right even if it's the second time.
>>
>>24819034
LeafGreen will always hold a special place in my heart since it was my first Pokemon game

After all this time I think the music tracks still hold up and it's heartening to see it's not an uncommon opinion
>>
>>24819034
Better than HGSS, not as good as ORAS. Fun games through and through. The insistence on disallowing non-RBY Pokemon hurt it, though.
>>
>>24821124
And the thread is kill here.
>>
>>24820957

Why tho?
>>
>>24819034
The Sevii Islands and the music were the best parts of the games

Kanto is cool but they kept it retardedly close to RBY. A remake should've been RBY, with all the features of newer generations. Cross-gen evos (maybe even the odd Johto mon in the wild), berry trees, headbutt trees, perhaps even a bit more fleshed out characters.

There's no point in a remake, in my opinion, if you're going to leave the bulk of the content almost untouched
>>
>>24822460
Well, remember that the original reason to remake RGB was to have all 386 Pokemon available in Gen III. They thought they didn't really need to do anything else, I think.
Once HG/SS happened, it made more sense to add in new features, since all 493 were already available through GBA transfer.
>>
>>24822496
I totally get that, but it still seems a bit cheap on Game Freaks part. Not even cheap, actually - it's more like they were scared to touch the source material, so they boxed off all of the new stuff into some obscure post-game area. Small things like cross-gen evos, and breeding before the post-game should have been easy enough to put in but they were scared of offending genwunners, which is BS
>>
>>24822529
This, what's the point of playing ORAS if it has less pokemon than emerald?
Zorua is on route 1, but if you can't obtain it in a normal playthrough, what's the point?
>>
>people praising the music

Some of the tunes are nice but holy shit does the regular battle music get irritating fast.
>>
>>24823818
The drum beats are pretty cool, and I love the cowbell shit in VS Trainer.
>>
One thing that's really great about them is that they are pretty much the LEAST linear games in the series. They sacrifice story in favor of a more "open-world" style.

For example, you can beat the seventh gym before you beat the sixth gym, and you can beat the sixth gym before you beat the fourth and fifth gym if you want.

And there are often multiple ways to get places--to get to the fifth gym, you can either take a long stretch of routes on the right side of the region that include docks filled with fishermen and some land filled with birdkeepers, or you can take cycling road on the left side of the region filled with those thug guys. And to get to the seventh gym, you can surf from the bottom middle and go left through Seafoam islands, or you can just surf from the bottom of Pallet Town.

It's not particularly complex stuff, but it still feels more "adventurous" then the later games in a lot of ways.
>>
>>24822529
>which is BS
No it isn't. I didn't want to see digimon rejects on my Kanto and GF delivered. As result it's my favorite game.
>>
>>24819137
Sevii Islands are my favourite location in any Pokemon game. I like how each area in them has a unique name.
>>
>>24819083
Yup those drums are the best
>>
>>24819034
Sevii Islands were great.
>>
File: angersaur.png (614 KB, 1183x888) Image search: [Google]
angersaur.png
614 KB, 1183x888
>>24819068
>wanting to play the game even though i've played it so many times in the original
>"well at least i can use the new mons"
>mt. moon
>"crobat is pretty good
>train and bro until ~Fuschia City
>Golbat is evolving
>???????
>??????
Fuck this shit
>>
>>24826112

Yeah that is pretty bullshit.
>>
>>24823818
holy shit, this. Like even as a kid i easily started to hate the regular battle music
>>
>>24819137
Comfiest areas in the entire series
>>
>>24819083
Wrong, RBY soundtrack was way better in most cases.
>>
>>24825299
>For example, you can beat the seventh gym before you beat the sixth gym, and you can beat the sixth gym before you beat the fourth and fifth gym if you want.

You can also take out Team Rocket in pretty much one fell swoop if you like. You can beat them at the Game Corner in Celadon, grab a drink to give to the Guard and get immediate access to Saffron, then beat them at Silph Co, all within the space of an hour or so. Then you've still got four Gym Leaders to beat before the E4.

Compare it to every other game where the evil team pervades every aspect of the story from start to finish, and its a big improvement.

Gen I really was the only Gen where simply "being the best" was your only motivation.
>>
>>24827700
the evil teams break down like halfway through R/S/E and the rest is just cleaning up their mess
>>
>>24826112
I was so confused the first time this happened to my Crobat. I thought my game was glitched or something. I was quite young.
>>
>>24827700

>Gen I really was the only Gen where simply "being the best" was your only motivation.

And not to mention your rival was actually a RIVAL and not just a friend who shows up every five minutes to give you free shit and tell you how awesome you are. There will probably never be something like that again.
>>
They felt uncompleted because if the lack of an post-game story or facility
>>
>>24829465
>lack of an post-game story or facility
To be fair, it did have sevii islands exploration and battling team rocket. Plus that trainer tower, but it just plain sucked
>>
>>24829472
Locations are not story
>>
>>24829476
Which is still more than what R/S had
>>
>>24829476

Story has never been important in pokemon...
>>
>>24823818
Isn't it cool how it pitch shifts for a legendary?
>>
I don't know. I didn't like them very much. If I wanted to play Gen 1, I would have just played Red. I wasn't too concerned about getting guys into R/S or up to D/P.
Thread replies: 58
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.