[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
So I never really gave Gen 5 a fair shake outside of battle simulators.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /vp/ - Pokemon

Thread replies: 99
Thread images: 12
So I never really gave Gen 5 a fair shake outside of battle simulators. Never even played B2/W2. Just went back to boot up my Black cartridge sitting around in a box. I just passed Nimbasa City, and kind of just gave up because the game was such a fucking chore for the first stretch especially with the giant encounter rate and shit variation in wild mons.

Now that I'm done blogging, my question is this: do I even bother going on at this point or just finish ORAS to fuel my buyer's remorse? Or ditch it all and keep playing HG/SS?
>>
>>24818290
I've never seen such shit taste. BW are fucking great. And if you're gonna play HGSS, just play Crystal instead of that slow-ass Gen IV shit.

Just flush OR ASS, no point in even bringing it up anymore.
>>
>>24818292
>And if you're gonna play HGSS, just play Crystal instead of that slow-ass Gen IV shit.

The epitome of shit taste. Kill yourself.
>>
>>24818292
>I've never seen such shit taste. BW are fucking great.

But the Pokemon ARE fucking hideous and the EXP rate is garbage.
>>
>shit variation in wild mons
You literally absolutely fucking what m8
BW had a fucking fantastic National Dex with huge variation. It only improved in BW2, and XY marked the finest National Dex in the series yet.
>>
>>24818290
You mighy just not likr Pokemon bruh.

Also, BW has pretty good Pokemon selection. It's not retarded levels of variation like XY, but it's decent.

At any rate, Nimbasa is the point at which the story starts to pick up. Get the Mistralton badge before you make a decision.
>>
>>24818298
HGSS made no improvements over Crystal, other than Safari Zone in Cianwood. Crystal is better simply because it's not as cumbersome to play PLUS you can use your guys in Stadium.
>>
>>24818292
>never seen such shit taste
>Praises Gen V
>Bashes Gen IV
>>
>>24818302
The experience system makes grinding with underlevelled Pokemon easier while discouraging overlevelling. It's how it should be for all games.
>>
File: 1444117140553.jpg (191 KB, 576x792) Image search: [Google]
1444117140553.jpg
191 KB, 576x792
>>24818306
>Gen IV is simply too much trouble for me to play
>Now let me brush off my N64 to play Stadium
>>
>>24818290
Just play b2/w2, much beter.
>>
>>24818292
>>24818306
This tbqh
>>
>>24818314
this picture

And BW was the fucking bottom of the barrel in pokemon games, only ruby/sapphire was worse.
>>
>>24818290
Gen war threads makes me angry, especially when they're complaining about gen 5.

It's like a kid clinging to shit, and getting mad over being offered something better. Now I understand why gen 6 is shit. It's what this retarded fanbase wants.
>>
>>24818314
>Gen IV is simply too much trouble for me to play
Yeah. It's slow as fuck.
>>
>>24818290

Nimbasa's actually a great place to start catching a huge variety of pokemon. You have all of the pokemon types except for steel and dragon represented in the three adjacent routes, it's incredible.
>>
>people complaining about variety in early game
>>
>>24818437
I can't hear you over how better the kalos dex is than unova's.
>>
>>24818309
This. I take Gen 5's EXP system over Gen 6's EXP system.
>>
>>24818302
>muh trash bags and ice cream

Epic
>>
>>24818489
Yeah I didn't have enough Pidgeys and Caterpies those 17 years.
>>
>>24818292

>slow-ass Gen IV

Theres that meme again!

You know why Gen IV was considered slow? Because of D/Ps text, animation and surf speeds which were all FIXED in HGSS/Pt.
>>
>>24818524
>D/Ps text, animation and surf speeds
Only thing that was touched was Surf speed. Animations, menus, PC, you name it. Slow as balls. Made me want to kill myself.
>>
>>24818290
Keep going. ORAS isn't worth it
>>
>>24818290
I had a blast with Volt White because there was actually some challenge to it and you could always increase the emulation speed
>>
>>24818511
Yeah you needed new shitmons like Patrat and Purrloin.
>>
>>24818711
At least they're new
>>
>>24818711
>over 150 Pokémon more original than any other game
>>
>All this Gen V hate
I KNEW I wasn't the only one who hated that shit. Easily the worst Pokemon gen ever. The story was overrated trash that the game forced on you with shitty one-dimensional characters. The music was bad, the region was a literal straight line with no room for exploration, and Plasma made no god damn sense.

Fuck Gen V. It should never have been made.

>>24818722
And 90% of them are ugly as sin.
>>
File: 1435726389692.png (2 MB, 1362x1490) Image search: [Google]
1435726389692.png
2 MB, 1362x1490
>>24818302
>shitting on pokemon designs
a reminder to get a load of this
>>
File: 1444849579715.jpg (45 KB, 375x375) Image search: [Google]
1444849579715.jpg
45 KB, 375x375
>>24818737
Just because some dude is eating a bowl of shit does not mean I should be content drinking a glass of piss. Fuck off.
>>
File: 1386610941532.jpg (73 KB, 381x424) Image search: [Google]
1386610941532.jpg
73 KB, 381x424
>>24818733
Because all other Pokémon games are really great right? Besides, they're supposed to be monsters. Do you expect them to be glamorous or something?
>>
Gen V is shit but it's better than any other main Pokémon game because the other ones are worse.
>>
>>24818746
Don't get me wrong every gen has its rejects, but Gen V had more duds than any other generation.

I'm talking based on percent, by the way. I realize it had more altogether so don't start that shit. Every other game introduced Pokemon I could mostly accept, but when Gen V introduced over 150 and I struggle to find even 20 that I actually like there is definitely a fucking problem.

>>24818756
Gen V is the worst one.
>>
>>24818502
He has yet to reach those pokemon.
>>
>>24818290
I would say to play XY cause it actually is good.

ORAS is a coin toss, there's not too much new if you already played RS except a postgame you can power through in 45 minutes.

If you're into competitive battling like the simulators, then yeah get it, competitive breeding/EV training is at its easiest here.

also Mega Metagross and Salamence are C A S H
>>
>>24818767
>I would say to play XY cause it actually is good
Fucking thank you. I hate this "XY is bad" meme. They were the best games in a long ass time and Gen V was absolute garbage.
>>
>>24818764
>Every other game introduced Pokemon I could mostly accept, but when Gen V introduced over 150 and I struggle to find even 20 that I actually like there is definitely a fucking problem.

Maybe the problem is you. Just sayin'.
>>
>>24818767
>>24818764
WRONG

red/blue and XY were the worst. Gen I was a pathetic excuse of an RPG with its glitches and unbalance. XY is just as bad because it's just a remake of red and blue. There isn't even night and day in that game.
>>
>>24818772
Or maybe Gen V just wasn't as good as you think it is. Just sayin'.

I have no idea why people are dick sucking it so hard. DURING Gen V all we had around here were threads complaining about how shit it was. Now one gen later people are magically praising it? This is some next level hipster shit.
>"G-Gen VI was so bad it made us realize what we had!"
Nice rhyme hypothetical anon, but one gen being bad does not make another one magically good. Especially if people hated it prior.

>>24818781
Nice bait.
>>
>>24818290
I understand, OP. I'm in my first play through of Black and I just finally reached Victory Road. The game is slow and the Pokemon are boring and take too long to raise.
HGSS is much better. ORAS too.
>>
>>24818789
How new are you? I mean, I'm on your side in the gen 5 thing, but that's just how /vp/ works.
>>
>>24818290
Play XY, it was infinitely better than the trash that was BW.
>>
>>24818789
>gen 1
Unbalanced glitchy shit
>gen 2
Shit level scaling and shitmons everywhere. Graveller and worthless bug types.
>gen 3
Too much water and shit pokemon. Regional Pokémon are total shitmons.
>gen 4
Slow as fuck, offered nothing new
>gen V
The only problem people have with it is linearity which all of the games have so I don't understand this meme. Any other flaw is just down to shit taste.
>gen 6
Shitty remake of R/B in 3D. Offered nothing new other than better ways of training. Casualized more than the game ever was before which was easy enough. No frontier. Still looks like shit. Night time is non existent.

Sounds like gen V is the least shitty
>>
>>24818819
>Says any Gen V hate is shit taste
>Ratings for other gens were filled with his shit tier opinions
Good effort, but you are only just making yourself look retarded.
>>
>>24818826
It is shit taste. All people here are saying is how much they hate the Pokémon which is a bullshit reason because it's subjective.
>>
>>24818819
topkek

unovabortions sure are funny
>>
>>24818834
Yet you shit on the ones from other gens in your post. That is your opinion too retard.
>>
>>24818789
>>24818803
Please, this happens with every gen, or every new Zelda, or every new game in a franchise. This is simply because the people that hate the newest game are really vocal about it. Look how much hate Gen 6 gets (and I'm included). Disappointment, anger, etc.
After a year or so, well, the people that disliked it stop bitching and those who did like it are still there. And they're gonna let everyone know that they loved it, especially if the next game leave them unhappy.
That's why you have BW>XY threads everyday.
Also because they're right to be honest
>>
>>24818846
>Also because they're right to be honest
You just discredited your entire post. Fuck off.
>>
>>24818845
No, gen V had the most competitively viable Pokémon which means complaining about the Pokémon is a bullshit reason because they don't like the design. Gen 3 Pokémon were actually shitmons as well as ugly. Only the starters and semi legendaries were good.
>>
File: 1.jpg (184 KB, 640x640) Image search: [Google]
1.jpg
184 KB, 640x640
>>24818851
I just gave my opinion at the end. Why are you so assblasted?
>>
File: Elite 4 Unova.png (212 KB, 500x337) Image search: [Google]
Elite 4 Unova.png
212 KB, 500x337
XY is shit in all regards. Z may or may not redeem this generation. BW is part of the best generation. Generation 4 is slow as balls and is nearly unplayable now because of it. Alternatively, Generation 3 is really fast and has easy replay value. Gen 1 and 2 are just a means to get good Pokemon for the Stadium games.

Generation 5 has the best sprites.
Generation 5 has the best regional dex in BW2.
Generation 5 has the best plot.
Generation 5 has the best boy.
>>
>>24818852
You're literally retarded, aren't you? Gen V had a lot of competitively viable shit because it introduced so fucking many. It also introduced like thirty mother fucking legendaries which have a much easier time making it onto the competitive scene.

Jesus fucking Christ this doesn't even have anything to do with the actual games. Nobody plays competitively on fucking cart which is what we are talking about.
>>
>>24818865
>Generation 5 has the best plot.
Post discredited.
>>
>>24818866
Now you're just moving the goalposts.
>gen V Pokémon are shit
>of course they're not shit, they introduced so many.
Fuck off retard, you just forfeited your argument.
>>
>>24818866
It introduced as many legendaries as Gen IV for 49 more Pokémon though. :^)
>>
>>24818876
We were talking about aesthetically shit retard.

Also if you want to play the competitively viable game, count how many Gen V Pokemon aren't in OU or above, more than any other generation except maybe Gen 1 right? :^)
>>
>>24818879
What is your issue with the designs?
>>
>>24818870
>Gen 1 plot
Rival, Team Rocket, reading about Mewtwo in the mansion
>Gen 2 plot
Rival, Team Rocket radio tower, Suicune in Crystal
>Gen 3 plot
Team Aqua/Magma attempt to destroy Hoenn. No one except you get involved until the very end when Wallace, Steven, Juan, etc. help you get to the Cave of Origin.
>Gen 4 plot
Team Galactic world destruction plot. Now your rivals and professor get involved along with interpol, but no one else gives a fuck about Galactic running amock.
>Gen 5 plot
The entire region is fighting the threat of Team Plasma in every city. Gym leaders actually have personality other than what they say before a gym battle. They have actual jobs relevant to their gym typing. BW culminates in a final battle jrpg style like no other Pokemon game. BW2 introduces new old species of Pokemon making it interesting to go back to Unova. Your rivals noticeably develop their characters for the first time.
>Gen 6 cuts back on all the progressive stuff added the past 2 generations for your gang of worthless friends with no character development. Also the extreme gen 1 pandering. First encounter is always a Pidgey. Lucario up your ass.
>>
>>24818789
Or maybe, just maybe people are allowed to have opinions.
>>
While we're on the subject of gen V, I just failed my sixth attempt at a Nuzlocke run through it. Any tips other than Audino grinding?
>>
>>24818931
Once you get far enough in the game. I like grinding in the double grass near Skyla's city. Although, it is risky because Zebstrika is pretty strong to grind against. Also you get given a lucky egg around then too.
>>
>>24818314

Sweden.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pfo-8z86x80
>>
>>24818789
I never knew gen V was so hated before browsing /vp/. It's by far my favorite gen for being different. Actual sequels, all new pokemon, finally random matchup for online battles, and most importantly, no remakes.

It's disappointing leaving that and coming into gen 6 where not even the menu is animated like before. The attention to detail in gen 5 was perfect.
>>
>>24820115
It's a contrarian board, so naturally, you see lots of genwars between every generation.

You CAN have an opinion on these games, but you shouldn't actively discourage others from trying out these same games and getting an opinion of their own.

If you really wanted to avoid money problems, use an emulator or buy the 3DS games pre-owned.
>>
File: baitkai.png (104 KB, 622x626) Image search: [Google]
baitkai.png
104 KB, 622x626
>All this thread.

God, I truly hate these "gen wars" bait-threads. Every gen is cool in its own way, you may like some more than others, but that doesn't make the others bad.
>>
>>24818819
>the only problem people have with gen 5 is linearity

And the awful dex riddled with copy pastes from prior games or even from itself (genies, monkeys), and overall horrible reject designs like ice creams and the gears.

And the ramp up in power creep

And the wonky exp mechanics

And the plot
>all the games have linearity

Sure some, but for example in RBY and even the remakes you can get the Master Ball and have every town but Cinnibar accessible with two badges. Think about that. Brock -> Misty -> anything you want. Compare that to anything DP onward.
>>
>>24820192
Except for Advance, which was legit bad :^)
>>
>>24820200
>in RBY and even the remakes you can get the Master Ball and have every town but Cinnibar accessible with two badges
Only if you use obscure unintended glitches. The only real choices are whether to battle Koga or Sabrina first, going to Fuchsia through the Cycling Road or the Silence Bridge, and whether to surf to Cinnabar from Fuchsia or Pallet.
>>
>>24820192
OP here. Was legitimately just asking if it were worth bothering finishing this game especially considering I was frustrated with the pace of it and the region already.

Everything is bait if everyone is already angry all the time :^)
>>
>>24820226
>Only if you use obscure unintended glitches

Wrong, it's possible in the remakes as well.

>Brock
>Misty
>get Cut
>go through Rock Tunnel
>go unlock Saffron
>fight Team Rocket in the order given, none of it requires new badges
>now you have a poke flute and a master ball and can go fight any gym but cinnabar without getting more badges first
>>
>>24820200
Gen V dex is about as awful as any other gen.
>power creep
GF doesn't care about that just accept it already
>wonky exp mechanics
nuzlocke retard? overleveler faggot? just hate seeing audino's face?
>plot
it's irrelevant, pokemon is a kid game who cares about the plot?
>muh RBY open world
and yet nobody cares, eveyone follows the same path with sabrina/koga being the only real different routes people will have
>>
>wild encounter rate
>no trainers having more than 3 pokemon until way later in the game
>constant pacing crippling story shit
>terrible story and characters in spite of the huge emphasis they're given
>linearity that would make a call of duty game blush
>soulless region, pretty much just a bunch of cities connected by bridges and story sequences
>shit tier battle music except from elite four theme
>easy and requires a full play through to unlock challenge mode

gen v was unforgivably bad, the only good thing about bw2 was the amount of postgame content but it's easy to have a seemingly huge postgame if you just cut a corner of the map off until after the elite four
>>
>>24820235
If the pacing is bothersome to you (I hated BW for that plus music), then BW2 might be worth playing because it fixes most issues in BW, including a wider variation of Pokemon to catch and train, and generally better art and atmosphere.
>>
>>24820200
So you think that all designs should be from animals rather than creating something original that you can only find in Pokémon?
>awful dex
Explain
>>
>Gen 1: Buggy, archaic mess.
>Gen 2: Worst leveling curve in the series and possibly of all JRPG'S. Forgettable pokemon, two regions full of absolutely NOTHING.
>Gen 3: Blaring trumpets, infinite water. Begins the endless cycle of removing features for no good reason.
>Gen 4: Extremely slow. Endless HM's, disgusting graphics
>Gen 5: Absolutely no new features worth mentioning. Easily the worst starters of all gens, Shitty attempt at a "Story" even more disgusting graphics.
>Gen 6: Shameless nostalgia pandering, technical issues, no postgame, Clearly rushed, an even worse "Story"

Face it, every generation is shit. Why do you faggots even play pokemon anymore?
>>
>>24818328
They're both good. Both should be played, especially in order and with Memory Link.
>>
>>24820317
they never grewp up

it's even worse with the ones that still follow the anime, the last meme they created is that it's actually good now
>>
>>24818733
>the music was bad
I can understand any other criticism to some extent, but this? This is just fucking retardation at its finest.

No other game payed more attention to its OST. Variable tracks, a huge variety of genres, and just absolutely solid overworld and battle themes. The first songs with vocals, as well.
>>
File: veteran.png (7 KB, 404x155) Image search: [Google]
veteran.png
7 KB, 404x155
I loved Unova's Victory Road. So many strong trainers.
>>
>>24820341
I don't exactly *hate* Gen V music in general, but I didn't like it as a whole either.

Don't tell me you didn't wanna leave Castelia or Opelucid immediately because their instruments were absolutely terrible. N's final battle theme is also overrated and chock full of nonsensical tempo. There's some gems like Undella town and some battle themes, but I wouldn't find myself replaying BW often just because I didn't wanna hear those instruments anymore.
>>
>>24820369
N's final battle theme is my favorite theme. Nonsensical tempo added to it (one of my favorite artists is Flying Lotus). Opelucid's theme in Black is damn near god tier. I'll agree Castelia's isn't the best, but that's one of the few themes I didn't love.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PmqpoJzT6gU
>>
>>24820293
No it's just that the designs overall were poor.

>>24820271
>Gen V dex is about as awful as any other gen.
>compare Stunfisk to Dunsparce
>Klinklang to Magneton
>Vanilluxe to something like Glalie
>Emboar to any Fire type without an inappropriate number of parts glued on
>Munna to Drowzee
>Jellicent to Tentacruel
>Ferrothorn to Forretress

ugh

>nuzlocke retard? overleveler faggot? just hate seeing audino's face?

The change was just unnecessary and strange making it feel less consistent.

>plot
Was fucking slowed down to a halt by the characters. Better than a lack of plot? Not really.

>muh RBY open world and yet nobody cares
Not even "muh open world", it's just that Unova is 100% linear.
>>
>>24820431
>both look like garbage
>both look like garbage
>both look like garbage
>we all know gen v starters are the worst of all gens
>both look like garbage
>tentacruel is looks better
>ferrothron is looks better

so what's your point anyway? every single gen I'm bombarded with shit, gen v wasn't anything different

unneccessary and strange if you are one of those retards, I didn't even know they changed it until I read about it on the internet, I did the usual go forward and beat everyone with 4 or 5 mons like I did in every other game

I don't remember being slowed down, like every other gen characters talk shit I don't care about and I just fast forward the text hoping they are done quickly. If that meant some retards got to enjoy their "plot" then it was for the best since it didn't affect me at all

pokemon games are linear, that's why you can go forward without thinking and beat them
>>
>>24820431
>Stunfisk to Dunsparce
Stunfisk.
>Klinklang to Magneton (should be zone)
Klinklang.
>Vanilluxe to Glalie
Glalie.
>Munna to Drowzee
Munna by far.
>Jellicent to Tentacruel
Tentacruel.
>Ferrorthorn to Forretress
Forretress.

They come out about even, then.
>>
>>24820417
I hear people generally like White Opelucid more, but eh. Different people, different tastes.
>>
>>24820521
That's a pretty funny mene lad
>>
>>24820544
Oh yeah? That was a meme? Which part exactly, my underaged compadre?
>>
BW/2 were alright, but they just felt like pointless filler before an actual engine update. they were practically the same as gen 4 but with some visual updates that still felt dated, and only a few new features, like reusable TMs. the pokemon were pretty good overall, but they could have been released in XY, so they don't really have a bearing on the game's quality. it just felt like they needed to release something before their 3D engine was complete.

of course content-wise the games were really polished, while XY's content was rushed and lacking. but 5 is probably the most forgettable gen for me. a true rehash even by pokemon standards.
>>
>>24818307
But it's true.
>>
>>24820274
>linearity meme
Opinion discarded
>>
File: 864423.jpg (17 KB, 238x187) Image search: [Google]
864423.jpg
17 KB, 238x187
>>24818737
That me be some shitty shit but this fucker looks alright.
>>
>>24821160
may
>>
File: 1446707654696.png (11 KB, 516x455) Image search: [Google]
1446707654696.png
11 KB, 516x455
>all this gen V hate
>shit designs and bad pokemon
>not liking Joltik line
>not liking Sandile line
>not liking Drilbur line
>not liking Litwick line
>not liking Golurk line
>not liking Venipede line
>not liking Larvesta line
>not liking Deino line
>not liking Lillipup line
>not liking Sewaddle line
>not liking Tympole line
>not liking Solosis, Ferroseed, Tynamo, Mienfoo and Rufflet lines
>>
>>24822834
Except Velcro seed, Costanza tadpole, bug stallion, dancing eel,sockpuppet dragon, and literal highland terrier are bad designs
>>
File: 1436127717120 (1).jpg (1 MB, 3685x2400) Image search: [Google]
1436127717120 (1).jpg
1 MB, 3685x2400
>>24822939
>STILL shitting on pokemon designs
fine, have a bigger load of it
>>
>>24823615
only the farting ass-head and generic deviantART OC tiger-cat are genuinely bad
>>
>>24818290
It has a really fun post game in my opinion, I've played through it three times because of this, 2 has a better one even
Thread replies: 99
Thread images: 12

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.