[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I'm making a Pokémon Essentials game that incorporates
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /vp/ - Pokemon

Thread replies: 48
Thread images: 10
File: Meta Mercury.png (289 KB, 1482x1143) Image search: [Google]
Meta Mercury.png
289 KB, 1482x1143
I'm making a Pokémon Essentials game that incorporates a lot of individual legendary pokémon locations and battle themes.

I don't have much of an audience so i was wondering what you guys think.

Are these tracks have a genuine "Pokémon" feel to them to you?

What would you like to see differently?

What tracks should I remaster next?

Remakes:
soundcloud.com/dimbus-maximus/spirit-chamber

soundcloud.com/dimbus-maximus/battle-vs-ho-oh

soundcloud.com/dimbus-maximus/pokeball-factory

soundcloud.com/dimbus-maximus/battle-versus-the-bodies-of-ice-rock-and-steel

soundcloud.com/dimbus-maximus/battle-versus-the-body-of-dark-mattler/

The rest of the tracks if you want to hear more. Still a work in progress, of course:

https://soundcloud.com/dimbus-maximus/sets/pokemon-bw2-rom-hack

Also, remix thread!
>>
File: Snorlax_Smile_0.png (9 KB, 582x360) Image search: [Google]
Snorlax_Smile_0.png
9 KB, 582x360
>That mesprit theme
G R E A T
Q U A L I T Y
>>
>>24817879
>That regi theme
You have a good thing going so far, OP. Don't stop. As for recommendations, do they have to be from the pokemon main series games specifically?
>>
>>24817948
Nope.
Any is fine
>>
>>24817964
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MLe32QFHKRg I personally want to see this song remastered by you simply because I love it so much.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nxS8YDjTpeg As for a battle theme, I would love this to be remade.
>>
>>24817982
Love morning sun
Great taste
Maybe I can tie in the dialga theme with the spear pillar I'm doing
>>
>>24817879
I'm interested. Can you give more details about your game?
>>
>>24817999
I'd like to know as well.
>>
File: 1400976936611.jpg (20 KB, 180x294) Image search: [Google]
1400976936611.jpg
20 KB, 180x294
>>24817879
this quality holy shit OP. definitely keep going, it's great stuff.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qjtl6MY7UEo maybe you should try this, it's a good track from a Pokemon game almost no one played
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kAHHFc-gIeI also, this would be pretty interesting to see, i've never heard anyone remix miror b's stuff
>>
>>24817879
Great stuff, OP.
I personally think the soundtrack would be better fit for a 3d game, but I'm sure you'll make it work with sprites just fine
>>
>>24817999
The original project was a rom hack of bw2 dubbed Pokémon Smogon. It was meant to be almost a commentary on the major metagames.
The idea was to give the player lower their pokémon and defeat the traditional gyms and league who had higher teir ev/iv trained pokémon, only buffing the obtainable pokés with a handful of moves that only serve to give each a niche.

As development ensued, I came to realize that I wanted to do more with the concept than the platform would allow, so I restarted on essentials. I established a new agenda: I would now attempt to make an objectively good game with a story, depth, and concept that would be easy to replicate by GF, and I also switched gears on the meta. The goal is to balance the type charts and power creep as much as humanly possible without significant changes in base stat total and and only necessary movepool edits.

I have, however, added a new type, Sound, with I formulated to only balance the game, buffing bug and psychic, nerfing offensive dark and defensive steel and water, and removing elements like Aerialate/ Pixilated Hypervoice.

I also plan on certain species auto levitating in battle such as magnezone and porygon, removing the ability altogether, nerfing slidequake etc.

While all 721 pokemon are to be obtainable now, Meta Mercury is a game based in a new region and already has 150 new pokemon concepts, including megas. These concepts are made to emulate gamefreak's design strategies as to not clash with cannon ones, while adding key niches to the meta.

As an extra, I plan on releasing a program that allows canon pokémon to be exported from the game as a .pkm or gen six file.

Her is an example of a pokémon design
>>
>>24818043
Op here,
Definitely looking into this whole ost
>>
File: 14393618956774.png (69 KB, 437x302) Image search: [Google]
14393618956774.png
69 KB, 437x302
>>24818065
>As an extra, I plan on releasing a program that allows canon pokémon to be exported from the game as a .pkm or gen six file.

Sold. You should keep us updated on this every once in a while, >we'd be happy to see this be successful.
>>
>>24818065
>fakemon
>mechanics changes
Eh, I'm not a fan, even if that one looks nice.

What's the region like? I can't state how important setting is in a Pokemon game.
>>
File: LspBFde.png (126 KB, 1146x480) Image search: [Google]
LspBFde.png
126 KB, 1146x480
>>24818058
I'm working on pseudo 3D with Mode7 and 3d cutscenes

It should be like a cross between gen 5 and 6

I'm implementing horizantal dual screen features that better fit the resolution of most screens than most ds engines.
I've already implemented a beta version of ORAS' Dex Nav and a type effectiveness calculator to help with the new type matchups
>>
>>24818079

The mechanics for the most part stay the same. A few move's effects will be edited slightly for balance or to fix an oversight by gamefreak (item not knocked off when knock off user dies first, etc)

Ice type does improve significantly though:
It now resists Ground Flying and Water and is super effective on sound.
Also a legendary has an autoweather ability that causes a blizzard to fall. If it is lifted by bright sun, the weather turns to rain instead.

I can't say yet what the region will be like. I've only made beta maps.

I've looked extensively at basing it off of Italy, China, and the Saharan. I'm incorporating elements from all three regardless.
>>
File: 1YIhiBH.png (145 KB, 1146x480) Image search: [Google]
1YIhiBH.png
145 KB, 1146x480
Here is the type calculator at work
1/2
>>
File: Xu8HPGy.png (145 KB, 1146x480) Image search: [Google]
Xu8HPGy.png
145 KB, 1146x480
2/2
I'll be opening up a Thread on PokéCommunity soon.
I'm just implementing some gameplay features before I release an early demo

Any other questions?
>>
>>24818134
Will it have a dark and edgy story like most fanhacks? And when can we expect a demo?
>>
>>24818115
Make sure you flesh out your world well. Only thing worse than a romhack with a bad story/region is one with nothing at all.
>>
>>24818134
Wow dude that damage calculator is looking damn nice. I can see this has got some potential. Don't give up! :^)
>>
>>24818162
N O

That is why I'm following Gamefreak so closely. I'm trying the best I can to orchestrate a well developed plot that doesn't involve every other line having profanity in it or death. I'm keeping it as safe as possible.
That being said, I plan for the plot to contain elements that have to be pulled off effectively by the canon series, such as postgame material and side quests
>>
>>24818175
I don't think that will be a problem.
I have so much lined up for the story and in-game areas that I fear it might be too big or too much going on.
>>
>>24818179
>>24818187
Don't be afraid to try your own things because you're afraid of being 'edgy'. You should be able to tell what crosses the line.

Have you ever played any fangames/romhacks? You can learn from their shortcomings.
>>
>>24818203
I've played a few, and you're right.
You don't need a third eye to see what should and what shouldn't. Even in the official games, self inserts, mentions of death, and memes are so dissonant with the rest of the content, the simply have no place.
I never had any intention on a blatant representation of any of that, so I should be fine.
>>
>>24818179
I would argue that you should write a story that you'd want to read rather than force out something that feels like there was no heart in it at all. once you've got a story and an audience in mind can you really start worrying about how edgy it is.

but thats my opinion, and my opinion doesnt count for shit
>>
>>24818223
Except Mystery Dungeon.

They have more leeway on plot; but then again, they're made by Chunsoft rather than Game Freak.

Like for example Sableye trying to finish you off in the bad future. Or the whole dark future.

Goddammit, we oughta research PMD engine so one day, we can make PMD romhack.

I was thinking about bridging Rescue Team and Explorers; the plot wouldn't have any kind of crisis but rather it would slowly lead to Darkrai's reveal and his future plan.
>>
File: i came.jpg (23 KB, 400x499) Image search: [Google]
i came.jpg
23 KB, 400x499
>:26 on the Regi theme
>>
>>24818227
No, I totally agree
I just think that most stories come out edgy or poor, because elements are forced upon them.
To make a good story, especially in pokémon, do what Tajiri did at inception: think back on when you turned ten. What was it like the first time you went out on your own or the time you went to the zoo and saw an animal you had never seen before?
Did anyone die?
Probably not.
Did you do a lot of swearing back then?
Most likely not.
Pokémon is all about discovering how the world literally outside your door works.
I think that was what was magical in some people's eyes about red and blue. It was about a kid who just walked out of his house, went a little ways from his house and took just one small step into the world.
>>
>>24818236
Reminder that Dusknoir tried to electrocute Grovyle to death in the 5th special episode for Sky.
>>
>>24818236
Agreed. MD reaches at an entirely different perspective than main series games. They can do things to the plot that main series can't and vice versa.
An solid engine for that would be really nice
>>
>>24818257
hmm, no plot at all could work if you can make the world you build interesting. if need be, put a deeper story underneath whats happening on the surface for the people who want to explore, but thats not necessarily needed. If you can, make it as open world as pokemon can be, that is to say, do what gen one did, create scenarios where the player can travel to some places in whatever order they want and beat the gyms in whatever order they want. erica, koga, and sabrina all filled this role in gen one.

but to put it in layman's terms, if that's the kind of feeling you want to evoke in your game, focus on world building rather than narrative building
>>
>>24818274
Hmm
I'll take that into consideration.
Even though there isn't a physical layout of the region yet, there is a rich history in some of the big landmarks of it, some characters based around events that have already happened.
That is a really good point to approach development from.
>>
>>24818274
Technically, in Generation 1 you could beat a lot of Gyms in any order.

There was Brock skip glitch.

You could use Stadium to get the drink for Saffron guys early, skipping Surge and Misty (?).

Koga, Sabrina and Blaine (and Erika apparently?) could be fought in any order; besides that Koga had to be fought before Blaine as Koga's Badge activates overworld Surf.
>>
>>24817879
Just holy shit.
All of these are really nice, also that playlist really sound like it could be found in actual Pokémon games.
Great job OP.
>>
>>24818223
What have you played?

And I disagree with mentions of death, they can be well done to flesh out the world or a heavy moment. I haven't seen a fangame do it well though.
>>
>>24817879
>body of dark mattler

Was I the only who read that differently?
>>
>>24818331
I've played Sacred Gold, a bit of Drayano's Gen V hacks, Sienna, Snakewood, and demos for Ethereal Gates and Melanite
I've seen some of the play throughs for edgier rom hacks as well
>>
>>24818339
Yeah, That was a typo, but it's a track in progress, so I didn't bother fixing it
>>
>>24817879

Seems like you're doing a good job. Keep it up
>>
>>24817879
Can't listen to them because I'm at work, but I've been following your SoundCloud for a while and I like what you're doing and hope you keep it up. We need more legit game style remixers.
>>
>>24819105
That's true. I can only think of a handful of great remixers who do things similar.
Thanks for your support!
>>
>>24819112
Honestly you should probably try uploading your songs to Youtube since I've found that there's more of a market for these kinds of things on there other than more music hosting sites like soundcloud, especially if you get to the point that you can shill your game with footage and stuff like that on places around the internet like pokecommunity.

I've been helping CrystalDust a bit with some songs so I hope I know a little about what I'm talking about.
>>
>>24819004
It's worth playing through Zeta/Omicron and Reborn.

Z/O had a really boring world, and Reborn is already infamous but it did some things right, like difficulty.
>>
File: DANK.png (214 KB, 770x577) Image search: [Google]
DANK.png
214 KB, 770x577
>>24819214
it also has dank memes
>>
>>24819793
That's just a nickname

It has quite a few obnoxious memes in other places though, it was literally made for a reddit crowd
>>
>>24819817
I was referring to the Mega Bong, but yes it's reddit as fuck.
>>
>>24819214
Yeah I've heard of those.
I don't like the spritework much
Thread replies: 48
Thread images: 10

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.