[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
ITT either post a shitmon or one you feel is underrated in higher
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /vp/ - Pokemon

Thread replies: 69
Thread images: 12
File: Arcanine.png (44 KB, 768x775) Image search: [Google]
Arcanine.png
44 KB, 768x775
ITT either post a shitmon or one you feel is underrated in higher tiers. Others will guess, I'll start.
>>
>>24817545

Itt either
>post a shitmon
or
>one you feel is underrated

do you even parallel structure bro?
>>
>>24817545
ITT: Shitters defend useless Pokemon like Arcanine
>>
>>24817545
It's just a shitty Entei sans Close Combat, the only reason to use it
>>
>>24818712
Sans means without not with.
>>
>>24818742
He used it correctly

It literally reads "minus the cc[…]"
>>
>>24818712

Entei was bad before it got Sacred Fire.

Arcanine is still legit, it's just that other pokemon offer more in some specialization or you can use Entei and have more to work with in the same niche. That said I still see Arcanine a fair bit on showdown.
>>
File: mfw fug.jpg (104 KB, 803x688) Image search: [Google]
mfw fug.jpg
104 KB, 803x688
>tfw hoping Arcanine will recieve a god tier mega, probably something with Fire type ate ability
>mfw all those niggers who will jump on it and calling rk9 their bro

god damn it.
>>
File: deal with it.gif (355 KB, 200x180) Image search: [Google]
deal with it.gif
355 KB, 200x180
>>24818806
>mfw ppl will accuse YOU for jumping the wagon.
justice is served!
>>
>>24817545
>Highest BST of all normal pokemon
>Still a shitmon
Ayy lmao
>>
>>24818712

are you retarded m8? it get's Will O Wisp, it gets Reliable Recovery, it gets Intimidate. Arcanine is a decent defensive pokemon. not even the OP.
>>
>>24818832
>Highest BST of all normal pokemon
Nope, archeops stole that spot
>>
>>24818786
Arcanine is still used in Doubles because Intimidate, Morning Sun and Helping Hand.

Entei offers PP stalling and more freedom in its moveset thanks to Sacred Fire. It depends on the build, if you need a Bulky Fire Attacker, you're better with Entei, if you're looking to being able to dish damage via coverage or a supporting Pokémon, go with Arcanine.
>>
>>24818849
It's technically not normal though, since it has Defeatist because Game Freak tries to give the illusion that they can balance.
>>
>>24818849
Archeops's ability makes it nigh useless. So its bst isn't effectively the highest.
>>
Arcanine would be used if it was good at something

as it stands it just had alright everything
>>
>>24818868
Which makes him really good for ingame runs.
>>
File: 289Slaking.png (95 KB, 328x328) Image search: [Google]
289Slaking.png
95 KB, 328x328
>>24818849
Sorry, did you say something
>>
>>24818840
There are better options though, and that's the problem with Arcanine. You have all of Heatran, Talonflame, ZardX, Infernape, Volcarona, Rotom-H, and Victini to use as bulky fires instead.
>>
File: Shiny Noivern.jpg (45 KB, 500x355) Image search: [Google]
Shiny Noivern.jpg
45 KB, 500x355
Since no one is proposing any, how about Noivern?

I have an answer in mind.
>>
>>24818942
Shitmon it is then friendo.
>>
>>24818806
Been a arcanine fan since the beginning.
Arcanine gets a mega
people will think you are just jumping on the bandwagon like lopunny.
>>
>>24818912
Is Infernape really better than Arcanine, defensively speaking? It doesn't have intimidate nor flash fire, and it is less bulky aswell.
>>
File: smogmog.png (41 KB, 200x169) Image search: [Google]
smogmog.png
41 KB, 200x169
I use this in almost every tier.
>>
>>24819020
It can stallbreak with Taunt or set rocks, the dark resistance is nice as well.
>>
>>24819035
Well, I see. It can also switch in better on rocks.
I thought Arcanine gets taunt actually.

Anyway I just recently made two Arcs on cart (because whenever I breed a mon I make a few more sets to get the most out of it).
I made one Flash Fire @Choice Band with Flareblitz, Wild Charge, E-Speed and CC, the other was intimidate and lefties with Will-O, Morning Sun, and I think Flareblitz and Iron Head. I like how you have to scout out its moveset in UU, it fits on both offensive and defensive teams.
>>
>>24819020
Yes it is, mostly because of his movepool. Has taunt, rocks, low kick, willo, slack off, just to name a few good moves it has.
>>
Arcanine is a great Heatran answer. That's about all it has going for it in OU.
>>
>>24819394
Even then it's not that great.

Dislikes taking Toxics and Earth Power to the face, and if it runs Intimidate, it gets worn down easily by switching into Fire attacks followed by Stealth Rock.
>>
>>24819394
I was really surprised when I found out it does not get EQ.
>>
>>24818679
>>24818712
>>24818832
OP here, thought this thread would die. Its a shitmon ofc. Only time it was relevant was during M-Mawile era and people still didn't want to use it then.
>>
File: image.png (1 MB, 2560x1440) Image search: [Google]
image.png
1 MB, 2560x1440
It's on my ubers team, with assault vest and defense/sp. defense investment it can take out lots of threats. I run mine modest with hydro pump, Aqua jet, grass knot, and ice beam. Ability is defiant so stat drops help aqua jet.
>>
Gastrodon
>>
>>24818840
Arcanine isn't underrated by any measure. Defensively it's outclassed completely by heatran and offensively it's beaten by a shit ton of other fire-types
>>
>>24817545
Prince shitmon

>>24818900
King shitmon

>>24818942
Shitmon

>>24819028
Shitmon sorry.

>>24821935
Underrated but not how you built it fagmo.

>>24821960
Ridiculously underrated
>>
>>24817545
>>24818900
>>24818942
>>24819028
Shit

>>24821935
Underrated
>>
>>24819403
But even meaty heaty doesn't like bypassing the coveted berry or balloon.
>>
>>24821960
It is a staple on my sun team to fuck with rain.
>>
Garbodor.

Meme build with Rock Polish, Rock Blast, Gunk Shot and Drain Punch with Stench and Black Sludge/King's Rock. EVS in Atk and defenses to make the most out of that hp recovery. I know KR doesn't stack but as I understand it I get two 10% chance rolls still, as opposed to one 20% roll.
>>
>>24818942

If only it got Aerliate, it's be a very formidable pokemon. Only Chansey could reliably wall it, but if it uses Switcheroo, them Chansey is basically useless.

>>24819028

Weezing just needs reliable recovery
>>
>>24822104
What's a better build then?
>>
>>24823738
for starters HP investment on something with HP as its lowest defensive stat is always better than defence investments.
>>
>>24823738
Built (in OU) as an Azumarill wall capable of deploying and clearing Rocks, with Scald as the attack of choice and either a support move (Toxic) or a coverage move (Ice Beam, Flash Cannon).
>>
>>24823820
Agility, hydro pump/scald, flash cannon, ice beam. Torrent.
>>
File: 465Tangrowth.png (858 KB, 1280x1280) Image search: [Google]
465Tangrowth.png
858 KB, 1280x1280
>>
>>24819028
If only it had recover it would be pretty good.
It's still one of the best physical walls in NU though.
>>
>>24818849
>>24818900
Those are technically gimmickmons, and as such are not normal.
>>
File: 250px-500Emboar.png (71 KB, 250x250) Image search: [Google]
250px-500Emboar.png
71 KB, 250x250
>>24824992
>>24818858
>Technically
I don't think you know what that word means anon
>>
>>24824914

Underated. it's a good piviot and sleep inducer. Plus if I recall its both bulkier and has more offensive presense than amoongus so it does have a viable niche.
>>
With life orb, my Arcanine always punches holes in UU. Flare Blitz always hits hard of it's not resisted. Extremespeed is an invaluable finishing move. Roar works well to shake up a stall.

As always, it comes down to how you use it, and I've always had a great use for Arcanine. There's literally no reason to think it's shit beyond you just being a dick.
>>
>>24818679
Your right, we should be forced to use teams made up of 20 preset Pokemon that aren't shit
>>
>>24825246
Or the fact that its outclassed by ... Pretty much any half-decent fire type.
I think Darmanitan is a strictly stronger fire-type

Though arcanine's Justified can be a neat niche and of course the Priority option
>>
>>24825279
>There are better Pokemon
>Therefore it's shit

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Splitting_%28psychology%29

Extremespeed makes it all worth it as far as I'm concerned. Bullshit theory aside, I've found so many practical uses for a finishing shot it's unreal. It all depends on your team. I know what I need, and I know when to call upon Arcanine. Usually I keep him towards the end of a match, and I cannot tell you the amount of clutch moves Arcanine has made to win me a match.

You can jerk off your theory as much as you want, I prefer my personal experiences to help me realize you're just a dick.
>>
File: noivern.jpg (64 KB, 648x478) Image search: [Google]
noivern.jpg
64 KB, 648x478
>>24818942
Noivern is neat, since you don't necessarily need to max its speed.
>>
>>24825313
>Extremespeed makes it all worth it as far as I'm concerned.
But Entei exists.

Offensive Arcanine isn't bad in UU. I'd just rather use Entei instead on most teams.
>>
>>24825328
That's great.

Personally, I prefer never to use legendary Pokemon because I think it lacks style, but whatever floats your boat.
>>
>>24825279
You forgot Intimidate, Electric and Fighting coverage and reliable healing.

It's on par with Infernape as Physical Attacker. It hits a little harder and it's a little slower. Arcanine has intimidade which ables it to take more bruises than Infernape. Infernape has Iron Fist to boost Elec coverage and STAB on fighting moves.

Darmanitan hits harder than everyone but it's paper and dosen't get coverage to scratch bulky waters.
>>
>>24825279
Darmanitan is a lot stronger than Arcanine, but it's also a lot frailer, too.
Arcanine can take a hit if needed, Darmanitan can't.

Being critical, Arcanine should be compared with mostly Entei: Similar BST and distribution, function and what they can offer.

Darmanitan exists to punch holes, Heatran, Volcarona and Charizard Y are special attackers, Charizard X is best used as a pivot in Doubles. Talonflame is a Flying Type that uses its Fire-Type to resist Steel and Fairi.
But both Entei and Arcanine do almost the same thing. One have Intimidate but the other can abuse Pressure. Entei have Sacred Fire to fish Burns while doing damage but it lacks Priority, Coverage and Recovery.

It's subpar, its a well known fact, but it have its proper usage, there's no possible (and plausible) Attack that could give to Arcanine a notorious rise in usage. But it has its tools and can work with them. It's not a "shitmon", Arcanine was in the top 12 in every season that banned "the main top 12" in Battle Spot. It's not top tier, but it's something.
>>
File: Garbodor1.png (32 KB, 834x600) Image search: [Google]
Garbodor1.png
32 KB, 834x600
>>24823508
>>
File: 1446513347167.jpg (40 KB, 680x848) Image search: [Google]
1446513347167.jpg
40 KB, 680x848
>>24825362
>entei's extreme speed isn't a priority move but arcanine's is
>>
>>24825642
Entei priority is nature locked from an event of HGSS, and lacks the Pentagon. Sanctioned Matchs enforce the Pentagon Rule, ESpeed Entei don't exists in official formats.
>>
>>24825362
>Talonflame is a Flying Type that uses its Fire-Type to resist Steel and Fairi.
... and because its faster than 99% of steel types if not all of them, and Flare Blitz fucking hurts.
plus STAB Overheat on a usable Sp. Attack stat (though admittedly not much), and an excuse to use Will o Wisp.

>Charizard X isnt used in Singles
Okay buddy.
>>
>>24825681
not even the guy you're quoting but how you can see "char x is better in doubles than singles" (which is an opinion I can't verify since i don't play doubles or vgc) and get "char x isn't used in singles" is beyond me
>>
>>24825340
>I prefer never using Legendaries in a meta dominated by landorus where Kyurem-Black is not only perfectly legal, but sub-optimal and generally garbage

Look I never said Arcanine was a shit-mon. I even said it has a neat niche, and niches are great things to have.
Its just that its primary job of "punching holes in things" is done by a substantial amount of physical fires, much better than Arcanine. It's outclassed by other fire-types in much the same way that Garchomp outclasses Zygarde. And hell, Zygarde even has Extreme Speed.

Special note is that Flygon is NOT outclassed by Garchomp - theyre completely different. Flygon is never placed on a team to do the same thing(s) as a Garchomp (Scarf sweeping, SD boosted wallbreaking, or Rocky Skin tanking) and vice versa (scouting, SR removal, U-Turn momentum)
>>
>>24825697
If youre (not literally you, i mean you as in a given individual.) going to use the argument that "Charizard X doesnt count, its best used in Doubles" to justify (no pun intended) that Arcanine is not outclassed by it, you'd have to be mentally handicapped

Also Ive literally never ever seen anybody use Xard in doubles, but I also dont play them I only see videos from time to time.

>>24825680
>Official formats
>>underrated in higher tiers
>>always punches holes in UU
>implying UU or tiers exist in official formats
>implying anybody was talking about sanctioned tourneys and not Showdown sims
>>
>>24825680
>Sanctioned Matchs
>Entei OR Arcanine
>Over landorus-t
lmao
>>
>>24825715
>If youre (not literally you, i mean you as in a given individual.) going to use the argument that "Charizard X doesnt count, its best used in Doubles" to justify (no pun intended) that Arcanine is not outclassed by it, you'd have to be mentally handicapped

I think what >>24825697 meant is that the mental leap here ("char x is better in doubles than singles" -> "char x isn't used in singles") is strange to make. Though I can see how such a leap was made, but I doubt that's what the original guy even meant.

ie. "CharX is best used as a pivot in Doubles" didn't mean "this is the /only/ way you can CharX period"
>>
defensive arcanine works very good for me
>>
>>24817545
It's a shitmon, not bait. It's not even OU. Horrible shitmon.

>>24818742
Oh I thought Sans was that skeleton guy from that skeleton game.
Thread replies: 69
Thread images: 12

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.