[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
/heg/ Hacking and Essentials General - We /dead/ Edition
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /vp/ - Pokemon

Thread replies: 186
Thread images: 29
Discuss, fiddle with the games and the scripts, present your hack or game, and help others with issues they have!

ROM Hacking:
List of notable ROM Hacks: http://pastebin.com/ua7u6gZz
Getting started on your own hack: http://pastebin.com/fjGZfMzP

Essentials:
Essentials Wiki: http://pokemonessentials.wikia.com/wiki/Pok%C3%A9mon_Essentials_Wiki
RMXP Tilesets: http://www.mediafire.com/download/sd99pug37y4v4se/Ziddy%27s+DS+Style+Tilesets+RMXP+.rar

Sites for sharing games:
http://www.pokecommunity.com/
http://reliccastle.com/forums/

IRC channel: #/vp/romhack @ irc.synirc.net
Webclient: http://webirc.synirc.net/?channels=/vp/romhack

Topic of the Thread: Who did you vote for in Hack of the Year?
>>
The screenshot in the OP is from Adventure Red, which, while nominally sounds like a good idea, is full of so much shitty fanfiction that at this point calling itself a manga hack is false advertising.

You literally need to collect blood from dead people in this hack to create a pentagram.
>>
>>24815521
And here I thought Rejuvination and stuff were edgy.
Was that a thing in the manga?
>>
>>24815528
nothing came close to that edge in the adventures manga and it was still 2edgy4me
>>
Is there a size limit for the amount of stuff we can add to the rom?
>>
>>24816261
GBA roms can be up to 32MB. You could set up some sort of bank switching system to bypass that limit, but it's probably not worth the hassle.
>>
So apparently some people from the Nuzlocke Forums are almost finished with an English translation of Vega, that might be cool.

The only thing that really ever bothered me about it was all the Pokemon anime insertions and Manlychu, but otherwise isn't Vega usually considered a top-tier hack?
>>
File: gang.png (1 KB, 92x65) Image search: [Google]
gang.png
1 KB, 92x65
Im working on a GSC hack

Its a hack of crystal and is basically like how R/B were, fun and kid friendly games but with a little seriousness to it, which mostly comes from the evil team

The evil team is basically just a gang that has no real story, they steal pokemon and you try to stop them, simple stuff

These are the two sprites for them, the regular grunts and then the higher ups. I based them off of the yakuza. How do these sprites look for them? What should I do to better them, im mostly concerned about the grunt one since its face looks weird and it just looks like shit to me.
>>
>>24816261
32GB is the max but you realistically won't hit anywhere in that vicinity anyway.
>>
File: 1448885509747.png (596 KB, 569x802) Image search: [Google]
1448885509747.png
596 KB, 569x802
Coming off as a pretentious autismo. Here goes.
I have the knowledge and experience (5 years of ROM hacking) to make a full-fledged hack (FireRed) by myself, but I always fall short when trying to come up with an appropriate story.
I have these great ideas of custom features and things that would happen, but never a coherent story to go with it.
I know some people don't like heavy-story gameplay, and trust me, I don't either, but I feel like if I wanted to break the default Gamefreak cycle of "Get 8 badges, beat bad team, become champion" there would have to be some sort of major story.
So here's what I would want to make, bear with me, it could be considered edgy):
>Post WW3 (Nuclear war) setting
>Cities and routes are in ruins (desert, flood, etc)
>People battle you, trying to rob you
>Later in game you somehow 'get' a safe-house
>Able to recruit some people after battle, that later battle for you, find items for you, etc.
Some noticable maps would be:
>Nuke site
>City/major area that gets flooded later in the game
>Some cities/routes being in complete ruins

These are just some of the features I would love to use, while them also having some corelation to the story.
>>
>>24817173
You mean MB, right?
The ORAS games are barely 2GB
>>
fuck man I don't feel like paying for RPG Maker XP just to mess around learning
>>
>>24817309
Yeah, sorry, meant *32MB >>24817173

Not gonna lie, a 32GB GBA rom would be really impressive though.
>>
>>24817251
I would ask for help on Pokecommunity for a general story idea, but those forums are mostly infested with kids.
>>
>>24816951
What is vega?
>>
>>24817150
Anyone?
>>
>>24817374
>>24817150
The grunt's face looks downright poor. His whole pose looks poor. You should work on that spriting skill.
Try to take references from existing sprites.
>>
>>24817389
yeah, I thought so

I just edited the GSC rocket grunt sprite and hoped it would look as well as the other one when I edited the rocket executive sprite, thanks for the advice
>>
>>24817320
Ok cool dont buy it but also dont complain, complaining will get you nowhere.
>>
File: eeveeQ.jpg (59 KB, 843x843) Image search: [Google]
eeveeQ.jpg
59 KB, 843x843
Is there still interest in Digimon Rainbow? What would you think about if it was made using RPG Maker instead of a ROM?
>>
>>24817406
I generally shift away from RPGMaker pokemon games. They don't feel genuine, and play sluggish.
>>
>>24817406
I really want that game so bad.

Especially for the "rust in mount moon storyline"
>>
>>24817406
Please make the game.... someone?
>>
>>24817449
>>24817406
I was so sad when they stopped making threads for it. Was the game cancled?

I hate rom hacks bur digimon rainbow was amazing because it wasnt edgy and tryhard etc
>>
>>24817402
>>24817320
If you don't want to pay for RMXP you could give ROM hacking a shot. It's real easy once you get the hang of it, and best of all, it's free.
There are plenty of programs and such for the Gen 3 games.
>>
>>24817320
Just pirate it you moralfag. It's been out for almost a decade.
>>
>>24817251
Okay, what would the story be? Is there some evil organization like the Enclave ruling from the shadows that you have to take down? Is it management of this city area?

How would Pokemon change? Would some of them change due to the harsh conditions? Would you have another class of Pokemon, sort of like Pokemon Uranium? What would the distribution be? Would I have access to all 721 Pokemon, or maybe 649?

Why is the world in shambles? Why was the war started? How does the culture of the world change? You claimed there were robbers, okay. Do they form groups or mostly work individually? How do new cities function? What was the culture of the region, and what is it now?

Why would I want to explore? What awards are there in the wilderness? Would I get TMs? Rare Pokemon? Move tutors? Miscellaneous items? People I can recruit? Will there be sidequests and an open world feel?

Can you at least try to answer some of these questions? I feel you are trying to create Fallout: The Pokemon Game and while I don't discredit any idea immediately I am skeptical. I might not be if this was a little less vague.
>>
>>24817704
Wow... . Just wow
>>
>>24817696
This
>>
>>24817704
But anon, that IS my problem, the fact that I'm not good with coming up with a relevant story regarding the subject.
You strike up a fair amount of points and I commend you for that. Will have to screencap this post for future reference if I do want/decide to make it.
>Is there some evil organization?
Maybe two rivaling gangs that fight for turf, while the player, being a lone wolf, can decide what gang they want in if they prove to be strong?
>Will there be sidequests and an open world feel?
Yes. It would be somewhat linear, but new, big areas would be opened up as you 'progress.' And of course, I already have quite a few ideas for some sidequests.
>>
>>24817704
>>24818655
Adding on to my post, I've never actually played Uranium or Fallout, so I have no idea.
>>
http://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=359685

This shit is dope as hell
>>
>>24818724
http://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=359151
THIS shit is dope as hell. All PMD EoS MIDIs.
>>
>>24816261
For GB: 4MB (but you lose real-time clock functionality in Gen 2)
For GBA: 32MB
>>
What's up /heg/, got RPGXP on a sale, and figured I'd like to take a shot at doing something.

I'm learning mapping and scripting as I go, thought it might be reasonable to attempt to re-map HGSS with the given sprites, the Gen V/VI Pokemon, and if that works, add a better follower script (hearts/faces and a few more interactions based on location/typing/happiness.)

Would anyone be interested in an essentials game like that? Here's a few of the maps I have so far. What do you think?

http://imgur.com/a/0eaqG
>>
>>24818730
I recently found a .zip of Colosseum tracks. I didn't even know that game used MIDI, but I'm hype as fuck to use some of them.
>>
>>24818973

Woops, meant add Gen V/VI* Pokemon, and the pictures in the album are New Bark, Route 29, and Cherrygrove (WIP.)
>>
File: cs.png (175 KB, 1035x617) Image search: [Google]
cs.png
175 KB, 1035x617
Post towns of your hack.
>>
>>24818973
what's with the grass in new bark town senpai
>>
>>24818986
shit man that looks great, is that a gen 3 hack?
>>
>>24818986
Really neat and comfy. My only problem is the upper left corner who seems to have nothing going on. I guess it's the same with the upper right corner, but I suppose events could fix it.
>>
>>24817458
the OP said he wouldn't return until all the stuff listed in his pastebin was done, or something like that
>>
>>24818986
damn, is this really a hack? it honestly seems like essentials.

>>24818973
seems pretty good. would you add anything else, or is just an upgrade to hg/ss.

>>24818655
Hmm, ok.

I only drew reference to Uranium because of Nuclear Pokemon (Pokemon that are significantly stronger than normal due to radiation or whatever) but it might do you good to either play through a Fallout game or look at the gameplay of one. Not being Todd Howard or anything, just saying that your idea really does resemble Fallout: The Pokemon Game, whether intentionally or not.

See, in most Fallout games, you can explore most of the world from the start, only it's difficult due to the strength of enemies that you encounter around the map. Maybe you can place higher levelled Pokemon where you don't want the player to go?

As for the gangs who fight for turf, can the player be a part of both and then decide to fuck one over? Or do you have to stick with one and that's it? Or can you have the option to destroy both gangs or even make a peace treaty between them? And who would head them, and who are key members? It's kind of redundant to make only the admins and the team leaders be the only somewhat memorable part of evil teams in Pokemon, so couldn't we have a focus on some regular grunts, new members, etc.?

What sidequests are you thinking about?

Sorry for so many questions, I'm just hoping I can spin a few gears in your head. I do want to see a hack or RPG Maker game that breaks the traditional cycle but I don't have the time or drive to do it.
>>
>/heg/ is alive
Nice. I missed you.
>>
>>24818988

No encounters planned, possibly an item that lets you encounter a Surskit/Lotad in the puddle next route, but I thought it looked nice. Would you say put some brown dirt/flowers instead?

>>24819334

I'm a novice at essentials, right now all I can do is maps + basic encounters on the overworld by talking. Was using Drayno's Sacredgold as an inspiration (bigger wild list, 2-3 'special' events per route that involve you looking for hidden routes, giving NPC's items, chasing a wild Pokemon around, etc. Was thinking for route 29:

Normal Encounters:

Sentret
Bidoof
Pidgey
Ratata
Sandshrew
Bellsprout
Caterpie

Event:
Surskit (Puddle, needs Honey or something)
Starly (Hidden Grotto, beat a lvl. 15 Staravia)
Scatterbug (Hidden Grotto, Vivillion with a sick Spewpa gives you an Oran berry that you need to grow 3 more of in the dirt at the top of the route)
Roggenrolla (Hidden grotto, runs away from you, have to follow him through a little mini cave system in the dark)
>>
>>24817368
Japanese romhack
>>
File: what the.png (94 KB, 400x400) Image search: [Google]
what the.png
94 KB, 400x400
>Hack has pokemon from future generation

Anyone else feel like this ruins a lot of hacks? Not only are you unsure about their base stats, learned moves, etc. but the physical special split often screws them over hard. Most importantly, though, they usually replace perfectly good pokemon in that generation.
>>
Dunno if this is the right place to post, but is there any way to 'create' pokemon with the new games? (like the new sapphire/ruby.) I remember reading about a qr code generator but I heard they patched that?
>>
>>24819650
>Not only are you unsure about their base stats
Don't be a genwunner, then. It isn't like it's hard to google the stats, anyway.

>the physical special split often screws them over hard
If a hack has future gen Pokémon but didn't bother to add the split, it's shit anyway, but that isn't the fault of the future gen mons.

>they usually replace perfectly good pokemon in that generation.
>replacing Pokémon
yes, that's indefensible. expanding the dex, on the other hand, is fine.

>>24819664
that's save hacking / injection, which is not what this thread is for
>>
>>24819650
I don't think base stats will be an issue unless you're doing a Gen 1 hack (and the special stat split is possible now thanks to the disassembly, I know TRE2 has it). Depending on the generation you can add a lot of later-Gen moves as well. The split can be added in every Gen now as well.

>>24819664
Check out /ekx/.
>>
>release bug fix
>immediately find bug with it

>tfw no-one on /heg/ will even know this feel because they've never got close to releasing anything
>>
>>24820236
That's what happens with all sorts of programming. Fix one bug, 28 more pop up.
>>
>>24820236
Can I play your hack, anon? I'm curious what a good romhack not done by a 13 year-old looks like.
>>
>>24820236
i'm curious to play it as well. can't be that bad, can it?

>>24819517
that sounds really neat. i'm always a huge sucker for just goofing off and finding neat treasures and secrets, doing side objectives, fighting optional minibosses, etc.

please, whenever your hack comes out, find some way to distribute it, because it does seem like you're on to something good here
>>
>>24820278
yeah, im surprised there's no murphy's law-esque thing for it. unless there is?

>>24820292
>>24820408
http://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=326118
>>
>>24820429
Damn, that looks good as hell. Not only is it pretty, but the dialogue sounds natural and I can't see any weird immersion breaking things anywhere. Good work, anon.
>>
>>24820429
Damn, you the guy behind Gaia? Love that one and I'm anxiously awaiting the final. It would be cool if you'd add mega evos that gf hasn't released yet.

Also if you surf on the muddy water under the battle factory thing it sometimes glitches and you can't leave the water.

Good luck!
>>
>>24820453
>>24820453
thanks.

I've fixed that bug already, but yeah that's sort of the point I was making here >>24820236
>>
>>24820625
meant for >>24820527 as well
>>
Is there a hack for a mystery dungeon game?
>>
>>24821130
I don't think so.
>>
>>24821130
No, sadly, the way the ROMs for Rescue Team and Explorers are put together you can't do anything with them without everything breaking. Gates and PSMD might prove to be more accessible but I haven't been paying attention enough to know if a scene is developing.
>>
>>24820236
>>24820429
You made Gaia? Nice.

Beldum and Aerodactyl available when? I want to fit the game's theme and make an archeology-ish team.

Also, the game is too easy. Difficulty mod when?
>>
There is any way I can use a joystick or go fullscreen in Essentials fangames?
>>
File: boring_city.png (114 KB, 778x846) Image search: [Google]
boring_city.png
114 KB, 778x846
I'm trying to make a tiny coastal town but it just feels really bland. Any ideas on how to improve the layout or make it more interesting? I'd like to keep it small, so this is about the right amount of buildings.
>>
>>24821987
Add some boats, wingulls and fishermen.
>>
>>24821987
food shack/hut out on the sand?
>>
>>24822072
>>24822050
Great ideas, I'll try to make a small fishing town, with some docks and a hut on the beach.
>>
Any good HG/SS romhacks apart from Storm Silver?

Any finished working XY demakes?
>>
>>24824268
No. No.
>>
If only there was a clean Fire Red hack with all Pokemon up to Gen 5 or 6 and some other nice benefits that we might know from the current Gens, I would go back into Rom hacking.

I always want too much. I can't and will never understand ASM. Mapping and XSE is doable for me, it takes some time, but I can do it if I spend enough time for it, ASM, despite the guides and helps; I can't get the hang of it.

I want stuff like class-based music, implemented items and abilities from later gens.

My autistic mind is full of fantasy so I could easily come up with a decent story, but meh.
>>
>>24825674
>I want stuff like class-based music, implemented items and abilities from later gens.
Jambo51 has done the class-based music already, and a fuck ton of items and abilities from later gens are being ported to FireRed and, to a lesser extent, Emerald.

Although judging by your aversion to ASM you probably won't enjoy getting them to work.
>>
>>24824268
Light Platinum DS has a beta.

No.
>>
File: larry6.png (314 KB, 599x337) Image search: [Google]
larry6.png
314 KB, 599x337
Can anybody share a pre-patched Origin Platinum rom?

I don't where else to ask and I'm too retarded to get xdelta to work; I've tried several versions and I've given up at this point. If you've got it please upload it, I'm fucking dying to play.
>>
>>24821987
Don't make the grassy area so geometric. Maybe have it on a raised layer of rock with some steps down to the sandy area.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rPAa4GjL9UU

If you've ever wanted to play Pokemon Vega but couldn't read Japanese, I have good news.
>>
File: scream activated lighting.jpg (170 KB, 960x540) Image search: [Google]
scream activated lighting.jpg
170 KB, 960x540
>go to redownload Advance Map because current one stopped working for whatever reason
>antivirus shits itself when the link opens
Goddammit computer, I know what I'm doing.
>>
File: 100percent not stolen.png (161 KB, 480x1280) Image search: [Google]
100percent not stolen.png
161 KB, 480x1280
>official maps, even in current gens, are extremely plain, blocky, and very spacious
>every single fanmap is a spammed, twisty can of worms with tiny 1sqm paths and ledges everywhere
its as though everyone is polish
>>
If I use PowerSaves to max cash and BP, does that mean all my Pokemon are illegitimate hacks even if bred and caught authentically?

If I hacked in one save, cleared it and started a new save with no hacking, are all the new Pokemon I get hacked because an old save was hacked?
>>
>>24833832
Wrong thread fuccboi
>>
>>24831928
that shit came out today, best fakemon i've seen, and on that delicious fire red
>>
>>24831928
>>24833857
Is there PSS on this?
>>
>>24833839
How?
>>
>>24835310
this is for game creation m80, you want /ekx/
>>
>>24833902
Assuming you mean physical/special split, yes
>>
>>24835537
Oh, neat.
>>
>>24831928
>Machu
o-oh my god
>>
Does anyone know of a decent Level-up moveset editor for B/W? I'm currently using the Twisted Fatal's Moveset Editor and its an absolutely irredeemable piece of shit; I've got the correct .narc, extracted the 600-odd mini-narcs, but there's no way to actually commit any of my edits and most of the menu items are greyed out. I thought maybe it committed them automatically, but re-loading the file shows the movepool back to default so it clearly isn't saving shit.
>>
File: th-thanks jagold.png (30 KB, 240x577) Image search: [Google]
th-thanks jagold.png
30 KB, 240x577
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Aa7B-znqglI

So Jagold rebooted Broken Timeline and started from scratch, revealed in 2006 Youtube text video format. I already figured he was scrapping the five regions shit but now it's official. Maybe we'll get a decent hack, LoG really was a noticeable improvement from RoL and RR even if I wouldn't call it good, and it's been four years since then. Here's hoping LoG protagonist causes the holocaust between games to continue the cycle of every protagonist making things worse than they started by the next game.

Maybe I'll play the Broken Timeline demo now, I was holding off so the finished version could be my first experience but if it's being remade from scratch it can't hurt.
>>
>>24837380
I always thought the 5 regions thing wasn't going to work out, especially since they all had the same story, altered very slightly.
>>
>>24837430
Not to mention all the maps were so small and crowded that they made Gen 2 Kanto feel massive in comparison.
>>
File: 1436685141631.jpg (4 KB, 121x180) Image search: [Google]
1436685141631.jpg
4 KB, 121x180
>>24815521
And what about that seems unusual to you, anon?
>>
File: 1420153924408.png (139 KB, 290x342) Image search: [Google]
1420153924408.png
139 KB, 290x342
Huh, so I checked out Broken Timeline's beta.

I'm honestly shocked at how bad it is. I've played the entirety of Rescue Rangers and all his other hacks, I know what Jagold is capable of, and I'm still shocked that it's this bad.

Literally the FIRST thing you come across in the game after you set out is a Flash cave. And then Chaomega (who is your only Pokémon at the start, despite having a BST of 1240 in past RD games) lights up the cave and the entire thing has unfinished map tiles that get revealed when it's lit up. And then it just gets worse from there.
>>
>>24837876
>A beta is unfinished
Who would have guessed?
>>
>>24837876
And then about 75% of the time Jagold is doing the selfaware thing with shit like "Wouldn't it be annoying if you had to do this cave without Flash?" and "Man, I hate it when Trainers teach all of their Pokemon Double Team!"
>>
>>24837887
If the hackmaker is going to release a beta, you'd expect the parts in that beta to at least not have glaring errors.
>>
File: Broken Timeline_01.png (3 KB, 240x160) Image search: [Google]
Broken Timeline_01.png
3 KB, 240x160
>>24837887
Nigga you don't understand, it looks like this.

Skyline was an unfinished beta of Jagold's and it was 100x more polished.

But the whole cave is a Flash maze, and a long one, with a high encounter rate and dead ends and required HM use and you don't have running shoes. The empty void is just the icing on the cake. And this is your first impression.
>>
File: larry5.png (245 KB, 599x337) Image search: [Google]
larry5.png
245 KB, 599x337
>>24828436
Familia please, I can already tell that I'm not going to get this rom if it's not from a generous anon. I cannot stress enough how incompetent I am.
>>
File: latios or latias.png (18 KB, 240x319) Image search: [Google]
latios or latias.png
18 KB, 240x319
Fuck it, let's make it a mini-playthrough. I know I need to finish Gaia but I'm exhausted from finals week and working full time so not yet[/blog]. There's no change to the intro screen from vanilla Ruby; are we a boy or a girl? Trainer sprites are default.

>>24837951
Try /nuzgen/, they have a mega link with a ton of hacks.

https://mega.co.nz/#F!7YIlVRDT!jKoKP6CelJvpA85D_yolmg

Haven't tested the Origin Platinum Link myself to see if it works but it's the only one I know of.
>>
>>24817406
GODDAMMIT! EVERYDAY SINCE THE SUMMER I HAVE COME BACK TO VP/ IN HOPES OF SEEING MORE ON THIS GAME. POKEMON HAS LOST ITS CAUSE IN THESE SILENT TIMES, BUT NO; I CARRY A DEAD HOPE
>>
File: 1441567394650.gif (823 KB, 200x200) Image search: [Google]
1441567394650.gif
823 KB, 200x200
>>24838063
You're a real cool guy anon, thank you very much.
>>
File: chaos and anime.png (27 KB, 240x924) Image search: [Google]
chaos and anime.png
27 KB, 240x924
>>24838063
We'll go with boy then (if nobody seems to give a shit by the time we have to pick regions I'll fuck off and stop).

It seems this hack expects you to have played the original trilogy, which is fine for me but I'll gives you a cliffnotes version of each game:

>Reign of Legends: In the Gento region, a trainer goes on an ordinary Pokémon adventure, meets a fedora warrior entangled with Shadow Lugia, saves the region fighting multiple teams and poorly-done scripts, beats champion Ash Ketchum, and saves Shadow Lugia. In the third game we find out said trainer went insane from shadow energy and destroyed all of Gento.

>Rescue Rangers: Furry and his friends get turned into Pokémon, join a rescue team, fight Fakemon Legendaries, defeat Giratina. Furry's author insert friend gets possessed by Giratina, gets saved, and they have to fight another Fakemon, Chaomega, because author insert was supposed to have died and it'll split the timeline. Author insert gets saved, everyone goes back to humans, timeline's fate uncertain

>Life of Guardians: Trainer goes on ordinary adventure, meets like ten rivals, half of them have Fakemon Legendaries as guardians, at one point you can turn evil but the ending is the same because Jagold is a hack, find out Shaymin/Giratina is your guardian (the latter if evil), meet the real big bad behind everything wrong, Zah, defeat them, they aren't dead and break the timeline, defeat them again with their six 1530 BST Legendaries, timeline is saved and can be merged, but almost all the other Fakemon Legendaries die

I can answer any questions for people.

Now, for this hack. Chaomega is about to merge the timelines but wants to make sure everything is okay first. It turns out we're Lati@s (depending on gender) and we need to help him. First we need to visit the grave of Angeallen (Fakemon Legendary). He gives us the option to prepare but there's nothing outside the tower. Also Chaomega is no longer the ???-type, but is now the CHAOS-type.
>>
>>24838231
Not to mention Chaomega is still looking like a shitty Scyther/Charizard/Flygon mashup.
>>
>>24838231
Talk to Chaomega and he takes you to "Hevah Route." I guess Jagold didn't feel like specifying the routes for the region. Mt. Krystal—location of Angeallen in RR and LoG—is a Flash cave like mentioned.

Dohoho, guys, look how wacky and self-referential this writer Jagold is!

Chaomega lights up the cave and the first thing we see is the sudden void mentioned.

>>24838119
No problem.

>>24838261
Strange that they changed the designs for Angeallen and Devihell in LoG when they were some of the less-bad ones but left Chaomega alone.
>>
>>24838323
Like I said, the cave is long with dead ends, has a high encounter rate, requires HM use (Chaomega already has the move), no running shoes.

There are trainers in the cave, but Chaomega tells us not to battle them so we don't blow our identity.

At the top of the mountain, Angeallen is nowhere to be found, due to being dead. Chaomega gives backstory on how the dragon gods (three Fakemon Legendaries from RR and Rayquaza) die without a human to reincarnate into, the only real recap information given so far in this hack. Just a tidbit for fun, Angeallen's guardian ran away like a little bitch when he found out it was dying, leaving it to pretty much die alone if you weren't there. Chaomega grabs something and doesn't tell you what it is, and you fly back to the tower making the whole trek a waste. Hey, this is exactly like Rescue Rangers!

Also there's a trainer named Jayson in the tower, no relation to the Jayson player character in RoL. I remember them being in the tower in LoG but I can't actually remember a single thing about them or who their Legendary was. He mentions how he contacted all the dragon guardians from LoG except for Angeallen's guardian Nicolas, whom he couldn't find. Jayson also has a LOVEABLE charm where he calls Chaomega "Chao" to Chao's chagrin. I'm beginning to think Jagold's real name is Jayson, since the name appears several times and this specific one has the kind of "aloof and without a care in the world" personality Jagold gives his self-inserts.

Chaomega gives a speech about how he trusts Nicolas and how friendship and trust are super important and shit. Nicolas literally let Angeallen die out of cowardice, and Jagold gives one of his "oh you KNOW I'm full of shit but it's okay because I know I'm full of shit too!" moments by pointing it out. We prepare to head to Kanto to presumably see Mewtwo.
>>
File: another fucking flash cave inc.png (98 KB, 240x1714) Image search: [Google]
another fucking flash cave inc.png
98 KB, 240x1714
>>24838480
We go to "Kanto Route," Route 4 specifically, and man does it look like shit. Gravel and shit everywhere. Chaomega notices Cerulean Cave has disappeared and that he can't sense Mewtwo.

Cerulean itself isn't in much better shape. It doesn't resemble Cerulean at all really, and look at the fucking Gym. We decide to separate while he searches for Mewtwo, and I'm told to use human transportation to get to Johto and look for Lugia or Ho-Oh. After Chao leaves, we remember we can fly and transform into our Latios form for the first time in the game, heading to Whirl Islands.

Also literally every route theme, from Hevah to Kanto to Johto, has been this theme used in LoG.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sEsIo9KObmo
>>
File: wow it's fucking nothing.png (36 KB, 240x672) Image search: [Google]
wow it's fucking nothing.png
36 KB, 240x672
>>24838562
Whirl Islands is a fucking Flash cave maze, similar to its GSC counterpart in the sense that there are four different islands and you have to make sure you don't accidentally head to the other. By miracle I got through it to the bottom with almost no dead ends. Lugia isn't there and we have to leave, like a Rescue Rangers mission. We talk to Jayson and say we're heading to Ilex Forest where Ho-Oh (who's a gril) sleeps, which was a plot point in Rescue Rangers. Jagold really shouldn't have taken so much Rescue Rangers influence.

Ilex Forest looks nothing like it should. In RR you have to go there and it kind of looks like it should if you squint, here it's just a generic forest. Ho-Oh isn't there and neither is Celebi, we head back to the tower. Nothing happened during these treks.
>>
>>24838609
We head back and Chaomega says "fuck it let's merge the timelines." Then he anticlimactically merges the timelines with little fanfare. He's ready to move on, mentioning something about Angeallen, when OH SHIT ARCEUS

Level 50, unwinnable boss fight. If you flee he calls you cowards and rematches, if you win via paralysis hax he pants for a second then rematches. We lose, find our consciousness slipping, and...
>>
>>24838667
We wake up. It's a busy day for upcoming trainer LatiMs, who's now ready to receive a Pokémon from the professor and start their journey! With a kiss from our sis we borrow her Sylveon and head off to become the champion of the [blank] region!

So, we have five choices in region, the main gimmick of the hack prior to the reboot. Do we want to go to:

>Kanto
>Johto
>Gento (the region Reign of Legends takes place in)
>Hevah (the region Life of Guardians takes place in)
>Crest (the region Jagold's unfinished hack, Skyline, takes place in)

I'm going to head to bed for the night so I'll see what people want tomorrow. Or maybe nobody will reply and I'll realize nobody gives a shit and I'll stop spamming /heg/ with this playthrough, either/or.
>>
>>24838667
Why do people keep thinking that unwinnable fights are good ways to progress story?
>>
File: 3.jpg (202 KB, 1734x628) Image search: [Google]
3.jpg
202 KB, 1734x628
Recently been trying out some "hacking" with tools like advance map.

I've made a few maps already, but this one seems to be broken.

For some reason, it shows completely different tiles in game and when I enter the map, I can no longer move. Pic related, trying to enter the map from above. (just the stuff below the player, top left is only tilesets switching between maps) I also tried having a warp bring me directly to the map, but the screen faded to black and never faded back.

Can anyone tell me what's going or how I can fix it?
>>
>>24838231
>Gento
>Install Gento
>>
>>24838730
Crest
>>
>>24838063
>Try /nuzgen/
That general seems to be dead now. At least it's not been around when I'm on since I started visiting /vp/ again.
>>
>>24838231
>LatiMs
What? So is Latias called LatiFs?
>>
>>24838231
>chosen human form
>>
I know people have made games with multiple regions, and I know there are some games with pokemon in games earlier than they appeared, like gen 4 mons in a gen 3 style game.

But is there any way to change graphics in a game? Like assigning a style to a region, starting with GB graphics in Kanto and progressing at least to GBC in Johto and GBA in Hoenn.
>>
>>24838667
>If you flee he calls you cowards and rematches, if you win via paralysis hax he pants for a second then rematches
That is complete bullshit.
>>
>>24838730
The one on the bottom most right.
>>
>>24839678
>But is there any way to change graphics in a game? Like assigning a style to a region, starting with GB graphics in Kanto and progressing at least to GBC in Johto and GBA in Hoenn.
Just use a different tyleset for each region?
>>
>>24839678
Sounds like something you'd want to use Essentials for (and I say this as someone who hates Essentials). Hacking something like that would be way too complex, and with Essentials it would still be very complex but I see it being possible.

>>24838908
Because it's cinematic! Some of my favorite JRPGs did it once or twice so I have to always do it!

>>24839667
I name every character Mmmmmmm in my /vp/ playthroughs (except Rescue Rangers, the player is Mmmmchu there). It would've been LatiMs no matter the gender.

>>24839638
>>24839688
Sounds good (Crest is the bottom-right region). I can't continue the playthrough until tonight, just giving an update. I did a test run through the start of each region and they really are all the same (but I'll go into detail later), and the regions all barely resemble the original version except Crest. How did Jagold fuck up the two regions he "created," in quotes because half of Gento is just slightly modified Hoenn?
>>
>>24817251

can we get starters to be different? e.g.

Psychic/Dark/Fighting

as opposed to the

Grass/Fire/Water

?
>>
>>24821987
it is really bland. really, really bland, almost too bland to rescue.

you'll need to add a whirling vortex of dark black energy shooting up from the centre of the map, as well as several lapras in blood red robes chanting incantations and cleaving malign runes into the ocean air to hold the portal aloft.
>>
>>24838063
you sir are a fucking saint. thank you so much
>>
File: jagold over the years.png (37 KB, 240x480) Image search: [Google]
jagold over the years.png
37 KB, 240x480
>>24840413
Still have a couple hours to go before I'm able to continue, but while I have a minute I thought it'd be neat to post a Gento comparison to see Jagold's tileset evolution. Here's three shots of the same location in the starting town. First pic is from Reign of Legends, worked on from 2007-2008. Second is from Life of Guardians, developed from 2009-2011 (the lab got destroyed from the RoL protag's rampage). Bottom pic is Broken Timeline, 2013-2014 (for the current beta). I still don't know why everything in BT is filled with rocks.
>>
On a scale of 1 to a strike zone fetish-induced boner, how hard will it be to get into ASM?
>>
>>24842955
It honestly isn't that hard, in my opinion as someone who barely knows ASM. When I want to do something, I look at code for something similar and try to imitate it, which usually works.
>>
>>24843404
Alright, cool. Thanks senpai.
>>
Okay, took longer than expected to get back. We start in Crest about one city away from where we start in Skyline, and meet our rival Jorex (who appeared in the Skyline beta), who tells us we have to take him to get his starter, and he walks into us to join our "party" JRPG-style and railroads us if we try to go anywhere other than the lab. When we get there, he's disappointed that they don't have a Torchic and leave, and we can choose our starter, Chimchar, Piplup, or palette error Turtwig.

Also, every single region is exactly the same up to this point. Meet a rival one town away from the lab (the rival is based on one of Jagold's earlier games if it's a custom region, or a new OC in Kanto or Johto), go to the lab, meet the professor's assistant because the professor is gone (since you can reuse the assistant sprite without needing to make five professor sprites), get your starter. Gento has the Hoenn starters, and Hevah Unova starters (even though you had Kanto starters in LoG).

So, our starter?
>>
Chimchar
>>
I've lurked these threads for a bit, and I've noticed that there seems to be quantifiable disdain toward Essentials games in general.

What is it that makes games made with this tool undesirable? As someone who is working on an Essentials game, it'd be helpful to hear the criticisms and see what I could potentially do to lighten the prevalence of certain issues.
>>
File: healthy family relationship.png (41 KB, 240x841) Image search: [Google]
healthy family relationship.png
41 KB, 240x841
>>24844064
Got it.

We head back to our sister's house, and meet another Skyline rival, Joseph, who gives us our Pokédex that he got from Gento (if you start in Gento you see him grabbing the Pokédex, by the way, so I guess all these regions are happening concurrently). We talk to our sister, and she gives us our running shoes, and $3,000, and 5 Potions, and 5 Pokéballs. We have to sit through a ton of dialogue that I think is meant to be casual but it's all just a ton of teasing followed by "oh you silly guy you." I think Jagold is actually trying too hard with the dialogue, which is a rarity.

This beta seems to have the same script as Skyline, where every non-boss trainer is optional and you have to go out of your way to talk to them to battle, and they refresh with stronger teams every time you get a badge. If it's like Skyline, it'll be mandatory to fight them every single time if you want to keep up with the level curve.

Also literally every wild Pokémon I've come across has an Oran Berry, what the fuck.
>>
>>24844320
Well one of the reasons people avoid Essentials is probably because, since it's relatively easier to make a fangame with that than ROMhacks, the shitters who don't want to take the time to make their hack quality flock to it. Not to say there aren't people willing to put forth the effort, but look at the shitty edgy tumblr fangames everywhere. Reborn, Rejuvination, Aegis, not that tumblr but Zeta/Omicron, etc., and I can't think of a single notable good Essentials game besides Sage.

I've also never had an Essentials game run at a reasonable speed and framerate on my toaster, again besides Sage, the people who work on Sage have my respect for that. I'm not sure if it's an innate problem where the engine takes up too many resources (and Sage somehow fixed it) or what, but it even affects battles usually when nothing majorly intensive is going on. Really if your game runs fine on toasters you've cleared up what's personally my biggest grievance with the engine.
>>
>>24844346
Interesting, thank you.

I can only hope my game doesn't come across like some of the "edgy" ones do. My focus is on exploration, so the story is relatively simple and, ideally, fitting for a Pokémon game. No ridiculous character deaths or terrorists or whatever nonsense people keep putting in their fan games.

Not quite sure what I can do to prevent excess lag other than by keeping maps clean by removing unused events and such. So far, only one of my beta testers has encountered minor lag, and it was in the designated "big city" map. Keeping larger maps divided into sections is something that I'm going to keep in mind going forward. That may possibly help keep the game running smoothly.
>>
>>24844533
reminder that depending on how big the big city is, it can also be cut up into different districts (a la castille, lumiose, baldurs gate)
>>
>>24844346
>shilling your own game this much
>>
I'm pretty sure it's not a romhack or essentials based but do any of you remember a fangame with real time combat (still sprite based) from some spanish/portuguese guy?
>>
>>24843954
The fuck's with that turtwig?
>>
>>24845085
>palette error Turtwig
Maybe read the post next time?
>>
So either the new Essentials update is broken or God doesn't want me to make a non-traditional fangame.

After connecting a few maps in the Editor program, after I close and reopen, I get a strange error involving PBColors. I never even touched that script.
>>
>>24846533
You're not wrong, but try holding Control while the game boots while playtesting from RPG Maker proper and it might fix itself.
>>
Sup /heg/. I want to make a shitty but serious or at least so shitty that it's fun game. I suck at drawing craps from scratch (i.e. animated battlers), but I still want to do something, like Stickmans or ironically fucking shit drawings.

Can you come with a plot for me? It doesnt matter how autistic at all. Doesnt matter if characters are human or not. I just need ideas.
>>
>>24847269
how about you make a game in a region where's no pokemon league.

and you meet some more important NPCs that are the strongest people in the region and are trying to estabilish some kind of Pokemon League.

i suppose some randum evil team is needed.
>>
>>24847289
I forgot to say, I dont really want to make it Pokemon-related. Will still be a turn-based JRPG, just not Pokemon because too hard to draw well, so Id rather start a new world from scratch.
>>
>>24847304
this is a pokemon board familia
>>
>>24847269
Make all the graphics in the game half-assed drawings in Paint. Not just the sprites, but also the overworld and menus etc.
It will be glorious.
>>
>>24833816
It's because most people are just making maps and not a game. When you design the map in an editor, you see it from above. When you play, you have a much smaller viewing window.
>>
>>24847793
Sound design is super important too. It turns just an MS Paint hack into something as glorious as this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RA0Gk8W3u8U
>>
Is there a firered/emerald hack with more than386 poke, better difficult and other things?
>>
>>24850845

Blazed glazed
>>
>>24847304
Use Pokemon Essentials. But make 50 to 100 shitty MS Paint monsters all with the same BST. None of them should evolve either.

What would make each monster unique is their moveset and type combination. Each Pokemon learns 10 moves by level up, 20 moves they can learn through TM, and 15 Tutor moves. Don't bother with Chain Breeding or any of that garbage.

Every monster would be viable in battle, so there'd be nothing wrong with no evolutions.

If you want to be a lazy faggot, you can always reuse the same monster templates, just recolor them and call them new monsters.
>>
>>24833816
I hope you aren't implying that the official maps are better.
>>
>finally make it to Victory Road in Vega
>first thing I find is a Shiny Rollder
I'm not sure if I should be happy or disappointed, but at least it compliments my Cradily's role as Special Defense Tank.
Also, why is it so fucking hard to find something that isn't the same shit I've been seeing since the third gym?
Velvelt, Birds, Diglett and Glachild galore.
>>
>>24852810
Is there a list of Vega fakemons?
>>
>>24852521
they're both extremes, something in between the two would be perfect
>>
File: vega.png (846 KB, 826x3385) Image search: [Google]
vega.png
846 KB, 826x3385
>>24852857
>>
>>24854728
Was Vega made before or after BW came out? Because that Absol evo looks like a Terrakion.
>>
>>24854853
I believe it started development before BW1, finished after.

>>24852810
All the cool fakemons are post-game, sadly.
>>
>>24855352
I found out about that not too long ago, but my team is already too solid for me to consider any replacements unless I find something especially worthwhile.
>>
>>24838063
What the fuck is Bullshit Platinum Intense?
>>
>>24854728
There aren't postgame-exclusive Pokemon, are there? I really like that grass/electric thing below.
>>
>>24856753
Everything below mew is postgame exclusive
>>
>>24857049
Damn it. There goes the team I planned.

Where to revive the root fossil?
>>
>>24857149
Pretty sure its in the city where you fight the D.H admin guy, I think it also has the third gym idk
>>
How far has Gen 2 hacking progressed? I'm interested in shifting from Gen 3 to Gen 2 but the only thing really holding me back is how I've heard music hacking is much harder for the Gen 2 games, but this was admittedly a couple of years back
>>
>>24859423
Gen 2 (and Gen 1) have been fully disassembled. I've never tried making music for Gen 3 but the experimentation I've had with Gen 2's disassembly doesn't seem to difficult on its own.

https://soundcloud.com/mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm-1/floaroma-town-gbc-8-bit

Maybe I'll try to finish Mt. Coronet some day
>>
Are there any good increased difficulty hacks for gen 2? I don't mean like the first gym having 6 pokemon with end game moves, I mean like the first gym having Gligar instead of pidgeotto, second gym having Heracross, etc.
>>
>>24861511
complex crystal is good
higher levels and better opponent movesets, gyms/e4s have redone teams, and all gen 2 mons are available by goldenrod or so
>>
>>24861567
awesome, thanks
>>
>>24815510
i wanna play a rom hack on my 3DS but since i upgraded to 10.3 i fucked myself. Makes me sad.
>>
hi can someone pls tell me how to get the Neo-X or Neo-Y download and emulator?
>>
>>24818986
tileset pls?
>>
Does anyone have Pokemon Troll
>>
>>24861733
http://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=348532

Go read the OP in that thread.
>>
Are there no gen 4 difficulty hacks worth mentioning?

Found 'Origin Platinum'
http://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=301747

&

'Perfect Platinum' @
http://projectpokemon.org/forums/showthread.php?24-Pokemon-Perfect-Platinum

but almost no one talks about Sinnoh hacks so are these just bad or is it that theres seldom anyone who'd bother hacking DPPT?
>>
Are there any programs I can use to hack Gen 4 games? Trying to make Light Ball work on Raichu, and to see if I can buff Spiky Eared Pichu.
>>
>>24865113
There's Sacred Gold and Storm Silver, and yeah, Gen 4 is a dead zone, almost no tools for it and no interest to make progress on them since Gen 3 can do so much already and people don't want to start from scratch with a newer Gen.
>>
>>24865149
I wanted to scratch that itch for Sinnoh though, I've neglected DPPT for a long ass time(though I've never played HGSS either).
>>
>>24865113
Origin Platinum doesn't do anything to the difficulty, and Perfect Platinum is old and horribly outdated. You could try Bullshit Platinum but that's more annoying than difficult (every trainer has a bunch of potions).
>>
>>24865208
Damn, sounds like I should stick to the HGSS hacks then. Bullshit Platinum sounds like, well bullshit.
>>
>>24865113
There's also Platinum Enhanced, which is in nuzgen's mega link, I think.
Gen 4 hacking is not explored much, save for some difficulty stuff, some dialog, and very occasional map changes.
>>
>>24854728
So is it safe to say everything after Mew is post-dex?
>>
>>24865524
Yes, everything beyond Mew is Postgame.
Hell, I think some of the Pokemon within the 151 can only be found in Postgame too.
>>
>>24859504
Oh yeah, I remember seeing this before. I've taken a look at the disassembly, but is there any specific documentation for it, or really ASM in general? I would assume Skeetendo would be my best bet but I'm not sure what exactly to search for.
>>
>>24866269
The disassembly is partially commented, some parts are explained in detail, others you have to pierce together.

There's an IRC chat specific to the Gen 1 and 2 disassembly, kiwiirc.com/client/irc.freenode.net/?#pret and there are a lot of ASM guides online. The Game Boy specifically uses Z80 ASM (as opposed to, say, the NES, which uses 6502 ASM) if you want to look up guides specifically for the type you'd be using.

A lot of the basic stuff is straightforward to figure out though. I went through trying to understand basic things (made a couple custom moves, backported a future Gen Pokémon, etc.) and I found it easy to just imitate the existing code to get what I want. You really only need to understand ASM if you want to do shit like fuck with the engine.
>>
>>24866310
So knowledge of ASM isn't really necessary unless you wanted to, for example, implement Abilities or in-battle form changes or something else that you can't really just do from trial and error or through modifying existing routines?

It definitely looks less intimidating now at least. Thanks, anon.
Thread replies: 186
Thread images: 29

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.