[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
ITT: Pokemon competive scene is shit. Who actualy battles with
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /vp/ - Pokemon

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 6
File: you win if.png (37 KB, 478x318) Image search: [Google]
you win if.png
37 KB, 478x318
ITT: Pokemon competive scene is shit.
Who actualy battles with favorites?
Yeah sure many of us love strong Pokemon (Garchomp and Salamance are my bros since gens they appeared), but...have you at least tried to make fun team of your favorites and play with other people? Do you make own rules to fight like "We have week to make best mono type teams" or "No TM's Allowed?
>>
File: 1381915374117.gif (1015 KB, 422x350) Image search: [Google]
1381915374117.gif
1015 KB, 422x350
I bought the Cynthia Nendo from the Pokemon Center. It was nice, and I was planning on hotgluing it, until I realized the Garchomp it came with is female. I ended up hotgluing the garchomp and now I regret it.
>>
>>24806383
they are strings of data, not your friends.
>>
>>24806383
>ITT: Pokemon competive scene is shit.
ITT: Water is wet.
>>
File: 1253078576351.jpg (15 KB, 244x320) Image search: [Google]
1253078576351.jpg
15 KB, 244x320
I'm all for using my favorites in my team but I have to know what works and what doesn't. I don't want to play like a scrub, I want to win too. Only rules I follow are VGC or Battle spot singles. No Smogon restrictions, balls to the wall just like when I was a kid at school...
>>
>>24806383
The comp scene is shit because pokemon is a flawed RNG centric game, not because people use what's strongest and not necessarily what they like.
>>
>competitive play
>intentionally restrict your options
Pick one.
>>
>>24806391
How does it feel to be dead inside?
>>
I only use my bros, they just happen to be UU so I run them there.

Monobug teams also gave me a new love for Scolipede.
>>
>implying you can only ever play either competitively or casually
>>
I've used an Eviolite Corphish before and had fun. Going through Gen 3 again, used Torkoal for the first time and it will be my next breeding project.
>>
Me and my friends actually battle to be mono type gym leaders.
>>
File: 20140731_015855.jpg (2 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
20140731_015855.jpg
2 MB, 3264x2448
>>24806383
I've legit lost every single pokemon link battle in my life. For me, pokemon was always about collecting, rather than battling.
I only truly understood how significant the combat was by gen 4. IE: don't bother hitting tentacruel with thunderbolt, rather use thunder fang because high special defense.
And when i came back to try and beat the battle frontier in emerald, i truly understood what strategy and training meant. Funny story about that actually.
I wanted to use bro pokemon and ev train them along the way, fighting only specific trainers and swapping out for different stat gains. It took like half a year on and off training but i finally got them ready.
And then surprise surprise, no matter how hard i trained and practiced against the different strategies, they just weren't strong enough. Blaziken, Ludicolo, Armaldo, Linoone, Claydol and Skarmory was my team.

I built them around the best overall coverage against the frontier brains and the challenges. IE: linoone pickup was good for pyramid, skarmory with toxic was good for stall as a physical wall, etc.
But even still, i had to ditch linoone, claydol and armaldo because they just underperformed. I ended up having to throw in Latios, Metagross and Salamence because i'm a faggot and can't into strategy.
In the end i eventually got all silver symbols, but i still miss my old team. In the end it depends how sentimental you are. To each their own i guess, but some people play this game because they're lonely.

pic related. at that point half my bros were swapped out.
>>
ITT: Hate on other people for doing something that doesn't affect you
>>
>>24806926
>IE: don't bother hitting tentacruel with thunderbolt, rather use thunder fang because high special defense
This is wrong
>>
Tried one time with some weak favorites. Some pokémon just are not good enough to be competitive, so I use them on the main campaign only. Everytime I want to battle online I pick a team with strong pokémon, which are pretty much most of my favorites anyways.

I didn't really had favorites before competitive. I played with my starter, other gift mons, the legendary and all that, just like the casual players. Only in Gen 5 I learned about competitive and I actually had favorites, because they were either good, fun to use and I had won, and lost battles with them. Breloom is a pokémon that I want to use on every team because I had a lot of fun using him.

TL;DR: You can have bros by playing competitive too.
>>
>>24806954
0 SpA Mew Thunderbolt vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Tentacruel: 112-132 (37.2 - 43.8%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
0 Atk Mew Thunder Fang vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Tentacruel: 134-158 (44.5 - 52.4%) -- 17.2% chance to 2HKO

wewlad

He's wrong but he's also right. He's wrong because thunder fang is a shit move only found on shit pokemon.
>>
>>24806964
well that was just for reference, but at least you can see why i lose every link battle now.
>>
>>24806391
wow, you must be a pretty dead person inside, what killed you?
>>
competitive players do play with their favorites. It's just that their way of choosing favorites doesn't match yours.
>>
>>24806383
>make your own rules
I do that all the time.
Themed teams, monotype, different battle sets, et cetera.
That being said, I use my favorites in my teams all the time. Gliscor and Toxicroak are two peas in a pod.
>>
File: Absol.jpg (38 KB, 600x600) Image search: [Google]
Absol.jpg
38 KB, 600x600
> No TM's Allowed
Nive try. TM's are useless. You can just ban all of them and metagame will literally be the same.
>>
File: chandelure.png (293 KB, 504x296) Image search: [Google]
chandelure.png
293 KB, 504x296
Chandelure as been my bro since gen 5 started. I was so happy to hatch a perfect iv shiny litwick in under 90 eggs back before Bank was released.
And no matter what team I try to build, I make sure to put Chandelure on it, even if he add much to it.

Strangely enough, two pokemon I was using on my main team got bumped to OU thanks to ORAS move tutors. So now my entire team except Chandelure is OU because of that.
>>
I don't battle using my favorite.

Nintendo plz... Give us an Unown evolution... I love them so much and just want to use my favorite. And/or give Unown a gimmick ability that makes it viable
Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.