[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What did it do wrong that Sky did right?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /vp/ - Pokemon

Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 2
File: Screenshot_20151206-212852~01.png (1 MB, 853x856) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_20151206-212852~01.png
1 MB, 853x856
What did it do wrong that Sky did right?
>>
Pacing, post-story, and the number of missions you can embark on.

That's about it. Otherwise, the game is equal or better quality.
>>
>>24789020
they pushed that 'you're just kids' thing way too fucking hard in my opinion. It felt like a really arbitrary storytelling point since half the adults are severe incompetents.

Maybe it bothered me because I'm not a kid and I've always envisioned the protagonists of the mystery dungeon franchise to be high school/young adult level of physical maturity so to be told I was a kid was a little immersion breaking.
>>
>>24789061

You may or may not be a kid. In the very beginning, the protagonist says "I must look like a kid in this world." You could probably canonically be any age.
>>
Story is worse, also no bulletin board.
>>
>>24789034
I disagree in that this game's post story is stronger because it is more personal, and I disagree on the missions since Sky is more random-generated.
>>
>>24789061
This is honestly the gayest thing I've read in a long time.
>>
>>24789020
Pacing and jerking over the partner way too much.

Other than that, better than Sky in every way.
>>
the fact that your partner is secretly mew and nuzleaf backstabs you
>>
I'm just salty I can't name recruits or recruit multiples of the same species.

Doesn't tell me genders either unless the species has a gender difference in its design.
>>
>>24789309
>MUH ALL-FEMALE ALL-GARDEVOIR TEAM ;-;
>>
>>24789316
Jesus fuck no I hate those things.

I'd just rather know the gender of what I'm naming, though it really doesn't matter much when I can't use nicknames.
>>
>>24789309
>can't name recruits or recruit multiples of the same species

fuck seriously?

that's actually making me reconsider picking the game up.
>>
>>24789479
The fact that kind of makes up for this (at least to me), is that the Pokemon are kind of their own character.

For example, you don't get A Wigglytuff but THE Wigglytuff. I took Wigglytuff because Explorers fans should be familiar with Wigglytuff.
>>
File: 1219-0-cry.jpg (27 KB, 460x282) Image search: [Google]
1219-0-cry.jpg
27 KB, 460x282
Out of curiosity, decided to look up the scores IGN and the like gave to Sky when it came out. I knew Gates didn't do so well, and SMD didn't either on the reviews. Sky had about the same reviews as the other two mentioned, Time was the same, Darkness was the same. I even went to heck red and blue rescue team, and surprise, they also got bad reviews.

Explorers of Sky was one of my favorites in the series guys. Why does everyone hate Pokemon MD?
>>
Limited amount of missions. It really pisses me off.
>>
>>24789778
I think it's because roguelikes in general are pretty niche. You either love it or hate it. Therefore, the PMD games have such mixed scores.

I think it's pretty odd that the reviewers are mixed, but the fans love the PMD games. It's odd that there is such a difference between the two sides.
>>
It did literally everything better than sky,
>>
>>24789778
The gameplay is majorly luck based which is incredibly frustrating when you get bad rng, and that tends to turn people off from the genre in general. Personally, I'm the type who plays the MD games for the story, and puts down the game once I've finished the story elements.
>>
>>24790040
I've played through pretty much all of Sky, post-story missions and everything included. I don't even really know what I enjoyed about it, it was just a great time passer in a bunch of situations.
>>
>>24790040
I remember playing Rescue Team a few years ago, and I remember the story only being a bit better than the main series stories, which really isn't saying much at all.

Do the others have better stories? I'm curious about them since I just want to play one pokemon game that has a decent story to it.
>>
>>24789061
Explorers felt like a harry potter kind of movie to me
>>
Super is way better than sky in every way
>>
>>24790069
>movie
whoops meant to say *ambientation
>>
>>24789061
They could have done something clever with it, given that they hint that the MC is older than he looks at the start at a few points, but it never came to pass.

I also noticed that the Gates partner seems to act like the oldest of the PMD partners. Dude helps plan and build a town with you, he's at least 16.
>>
>>24790057
The general consensus seems to be that the story and characters are the game's strong point, and it gets better with every new game.
>>
>>24789108
i agree this game's post game is more personal, but i'd say Sky was more impactful. It basically explained why the game events happened and why you turned into a pokemon.
>>
>>24790134
So Super has the best story then? Would it be worth picking up at full price?
>>
>>24790155
Gates has the best story, but it's too limited in everything else.
>>
>>24790162
I'll look at both of them. If I find Gates for under $20, I'll get that unless the gameplay is genuinely horrible and broken
>>
>>24789020
The missions are boring, Rescue Tea, did it better in my opinion, there is foreshadowing for almost every legend, charizard and blastoise got rekt's by the western cave, medicham and ekans tell you about jirachi's dungeon, lombre tells you about the silver trench after almost drowning.

In super instead, they just tell you that you can go and defeat a boss. No side story, no lore, it's kind of boring.

Also, no IQ/ Gummis, the cooldown for high lv partners should be removed from postgame, hawlucha being a bigger jew than cofagigrius.
Overall it was an enjoyable experience but I still prefer sky and explorers over it.
>>
>>24789061
>they pushed that 'you're just kids' thing way too fucking hard in my opinion.
You wake up as a POKEMON child. As a human, you could have been any age.
>>
>>24789492
>For example, you don't get A Wigglytuff but THE Wigglytuff.
Okay then.
>>
Nothing but this is /VP/, birthplace of hating anything new so the thread will be filled with sky fans bashing Super even though when Super was first released everyone loved it.
>>
>>24789088
Someone else payed attention.
Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.