[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What do you guys think of being able to see the other guy's
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /vp/ - Pokemon

Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 3
File: teampreview.jpg (59 KB, 620x350) Image search: [Google]
teampreview.jpg
59 KB, 620x350
What do you guys think of being able to see the other guy's team before you fight them? Does it make the game better or worse?
>>
File: 1449413335319.jpg (88 KB, 564x700) Image search: [Google]
1449413335319.jpg
88 KB, 564x700
>see the other team
>it's all legendaries
>>
Not that Zoroark is worth anything, but it makes his entire gimmick pointless.
>>
Worse because things like Zoroark exist and this kind of ruins that. Plus, it makes a bit more of the game based on pre-planning rather than adapting.

"Alright I know none of his Pokemon are levitators, so I can choice band earthquake without worry" or even just "He's only got one steel type and no fairies, I can magnet pull it out and click outrage" and just like that, the game is over. Win conditions are met and the game stops being fun once the person sends out the steel type, it dies, and I click outrage. You're 100% safe if you have a halfway decent memory. You can't randomly fall into the shitty Gyarados/Electivire trap. Choice items are barely a risk anymore since there are perfect situations now that you won't possibly need anything else.
>>
I'm not a fan since it ruins the surprise element which prevents me from fully utilizing a lot of fun tactics. Including rusefox.
>>
Like playing Uno and showing everyone your cards
>>
ruins it takes away a huge element from the game for one shitty worth-a-fucking-nigger's-rotten-shit pokemon that really has no impact on the game anyway

>use any other attack besides knock off on a fully def invested zoroark
>ohko
>>
>>24781620
This.
>>
>>24781594
I like it on cart because you never bring your full 6 (unless it's triples, but nobody plays that shit anyway), so it adds a level of strategic thinking, which is very fun.
>>
I don't like it. I preferred the surprise factor in gen 4's battling.
>>
File: 1385361844658.png (62 KB, 227x227) Image search: [Google]
1385361844658.png
62 KB, 227x227
>>24781750
>explosion azelf leads
>>
>>24781594
>Six fire types on team
Jesus Christ I know someone took this photo as a joke but it still makes me cringe
>>
>>24781784
you mean the same shit that people use now? yeah. that was great.
>>
>>24781845
you're so autistic that you cringe at someone making a themed team? wow, this must trigger you a lot then http://www.smogon.com/dex/xy/formats/monotype/
>>
>>24781727
this. picking the right leads is a pretty important and fun part of vgc.

i don't get why smogon doesn't have a no preview clause though
>>
>>24781630
>>24781600
Confirmed for never using Zoroark
I've seen people make some really shit plays because they saw Zoroark in team preview, just his presence can psych some people out. The surprise factor may be damaged a bit, but team preview adds mindgames to Zoroark players' arsenal.
>>
>>24782057

I have played with and against Zoroark, and Zoroark would be 10 times more effective if you didn't know they had Zoroark. If you know the guy has Zoroark, you don't know if you're fighting Zoroark or not. but you know it's there. If you don't know the guy has Zoroark, you aren't even THINKING of Zoroark.
>>
>>24782057
>The surprise factor may be damaged
Yes that is the point.
>team preview adds mindgames to Zoroark players' arsenal.
No, Zoroark adds mindgames to the Zoroark player's arsenal. Team Preview lowers the amount of mindgames because if team preview didn't exist, people wouldn't expect it until after it comes out. Once it comes out, you're exactly in the same position as if you saw Zoroark in team preview.
>>
>have Zoroark in party
>can visibly notice my opponent second-guessing every move he makes in case of Zoroark
>never even use it

The best kind of feeling.
>>
>>24782070
Exactly. If you aren't even THINKING of Zoroark, you aren't playing mindgames. The point is to make your opponent know Zoroark is there, so they make misplays when they expect Zoroark.

>>24782090
>Team Preview lowers the amount of mindgames
No. My whole point is that team preview changes Zoroark from a surprise trick to a real mindgame, because my opponent will constantly be guessing which Pokemon is Zoroark. If they had no idea Zoroark was on my team, my opponent would just play normally. They'd only find out about Zoroark when it takes a hit, at which point it'd probably faint anyway.

For example: If my opponent knows I have a Zoroark, they'll think twice before using a Psychic move on my Toxicroak. If it's a Nasty Plot Toxicroak, he's all but immune to Psychic.
Meanwhile, Scarf Zoroark can still blast things out of nowhere when it's disguised as slow, bulky Weezing. I admit much of Zoroark's surprise factor is lost due to team preview, but team preview adds mindgames that make Zoroark more interactive and more fun to play over all.

>>24782228
Basically this
>>
>>24782274

Or you could have then make misplays because Zoroark's Trickster ability actually fucking works because when they have NO IDEA Zoroark is there they are more likely to fuck up than if they know it's there.

Imagine if I told you you could play a game where you have to find the coin under a cup and there's six cups and if you lose you lose 10 bucks and if you win I lose 10 bucks. Those are good odds.

Now imagine if I told you you could play the same game but now you have to reach blindfolded into a fucking jar of marbles and pick out the black one out of 800 marbles. You would be a sucker to take that bet.

If team preview wasn't a thing, every fucking time the opponent fought you and you had Zoroark they would be the sucker looking for the marble. They have no chance.

You can talk about your faggy little mindgames all you want but the fact of the matter is that it's much better for Zoroark competitively if team preview doesn't exist.
>>
>>24782320
Maybe Zoroark would be competitively stronger without team preview, maybe it wouldn't. It's still much more interactive with team preview, and interaction is what makes games like Pokemon fun.
>>
>>24782341

Do you even know what interactive means? Pokemon is already interactive because you can pokemon fight people from all around the world. You are already interacting with them. Letting them know you have Zoroark and thus removing a huge element of surprise from your team doesn't make it more "interactive," it just makes your rusedog worse. If you want to play guessing games with someone go get a friend you fight regularly so they will know you as "that zoroark guy" and be guessing then.

>w-well maybe Zoroark would be stronger without it

Not maybe. Definitely.
>>
>>24782376
I'm talking about interaction in terms of game design. When two players have a piece of information (Zoroark's existence) and they're utilizing that information in different ways against eachother, that's interaction.

For an extreme example, if I played chess against someone but I couldn't see any of their pieces, most of the interaction of the game would be lost. A player can only interact with things that have some known quality, and the more known qualities a game object has, the more potential there is to interact with it, and by extension, your opponent.
>>
>>24782399

You interact with them by fighting them. And your analogy is retarded because if you couldn't see the opponent's pieces and he couldn't see yours it would be impossible to play chess.

Also you are falling back on this shit "interaction" argument because you realized that you were fucking wrong and rusedog benefits more from lack of team preview than the shitty "mindgames" you get from it, is that right?
>>
>>24782436
I never said my opponent couldn't see my pieces. My example was meant to illustrate the concept of interaction and nothing else, which I guess was wasted on you.
>Also you are falling back on this shit "interaction" argument because you realized that you were fucking wrong
No, I just enjoy Zoroark's playstyle with team preview and didn't realize exactly why until arguing with you, so thanks
>>
worse, it makes pokemon like shedinja useless
>>
>not understanding Zoroark was created BECAUSE of team preview, not despite it
Illusion would be fucking retarded without team preview. You'd have to consider literally every pokemon in every battle is maybe possibly a zoroark or lose a pokemon to a surprise attack. That's an absolutely massive burden to put on every player, every game.

Team preview informs the player that the opponent has Zoroark without telling them when it's actually on the field or if they're using it at all. Simultaneously puting the opponent on edge and muddling their decision making without having to do so literally every, single game often unnecessarily. Nobody wants to play a game of "everything is totally fine and then my ferrothorn spontaneously dies to a flamethrower from what I thought was a fucking linoone because I didn't consider that the 100th pokemon I've seen today was Zoroark."
>>
>>24782493
BW Dream World was fine without Team Preview while Zoroark was running rampant with 649 Pokemon and abilities/combinations that never ended up existing.
>>
>>24782493

Zoroark is frail as fuck and has one immunity. It is not exactly gamebreaking and it'll be able to do what? Trick a person one time per battle at best. Not exactly gamebreaking.

If you think Zoroark is unfair there is so much other shit out there that would be even more "unfair" without team preview. Do you bitch about Wobbuffet too? Or getting your Ferrothorn Magnet Pulled?

>>24782481

You don't know what interaction is. And you were wrong about Zoroark being stronger because they can see Zoroark coming. You are 100% wrong. Now you're trying to go out pretending like you know something, like a bitch nigga. Well you know nothing.
>>
>>24782518
Considering wobbuffet was uber in RSE and DP you tell me.
>>
>>24781594
http://strawpoll.me/6198214/
Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.