[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Let's Debate
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /vp/ - Pokemon

Thread replies: 42
Thread images: 10
File: jynx_large_answer_3_xlarge1.gif (38 KB, 275x300) Image search: [Google]
jynx_large_answer_3_xlarge1.gif
38 KB, 275x300
Alright guys, it's modern time
Is Jynx racist or have people just have an overreaction?

>Lets begin
>>
>>24781233
no. I never understood how a character being designed a certain way alone means racism. If I look like a black person does that mean I'm being racist to black people?
>>
>>24781233
I am not sure.

On it's own it isn't racist but if there are a bunch of kids saying that is the pokemon representation of black people then that is racist.
>>
>>24781233
I never had problems with snorlax.
>>
>>24781233
The old Jynx had a black face, big lips and round eyes to insert a DMX hit cover towards. While the modern Jynx is purple instead of black.
>>
Black people don't have psychic powers and I've only met one who could manipulate ice and cold. It's a very exaggerated version of ganguro
>>
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yama-uba
>>
She is whatever. Never used her.
>>
>>24781233
Jynx might be racist, but it doesn't matter. When you start judging other cultures in the context of your own, something is lost.
It's like people who rage against George Washington because he owned slaves. Different times, different norms. He was a great man by the standards of his time.
Similar logic should be applied to Jynx. She's a Yama-Uba with ganguro and nigger traits. The japs think this is cool, so you really shouldn't get bent out of shape about it. Has Jynx ever caused actual physical or emotional trauma to black people anyway?
>>
Yes, yes she is. And even though she might be purple now, she still has dry skin as a hidden ability.
>>
>>24782319

You should be more careful when talking about the sensitive subject of race.
>>
Yeah, Jynx is racist, but doubt any harm was intended by it. Honestly, most racism/bigotism/whatever comes from ignorance not malice.

Especially by a culture pretty removed from the US's racial issues.
>>
>>24781382
/thread
>>
>>24782319
Your whiteness is bleeding through the screen goddamn
>>
>>24781233
I always assumed its face was shaded over by its hair.
>>
File: tangrowth.png (412 KB, 480x640) Image search: [Google]
tangrowth.png
412 KB, 480x640
>>24782427
same
>>
File: 1424095243391.png (763 KB, 771x724) Image search: [Google]
1424095243391.png
763 KB, 771x724
>>24782420
>whiteness
That's not a negative trait, now is it?
>>
File: 1397152783454.jpg (13 KB, 223x216) Image search: [Google]
1397152783454.jpg
13 KB, 223x216
>>24782352
>>24782420
go home reddit
>>
>>24781233
>it's not racist

It's hidden ability is dry skin
>>
>>24782442
It is when you say dumb stuff like this
>>
>>24781233
Actual black guy here, I was never really offended by it. So long as it wasn't intentional, there's nothing to really be mad about, especially since they changed the color of it's skin. Giving it Dry Skin as an ability made me kek, though.
>>
As one of the two negroes on /vp/, I've personally never given a shit about Jynx. I've never felt that its design had any sort of racist connotations. People like getting riled up over nonexistent problems.
>>
File: 1024px-Mahakala_Bernakchen.jpg (158 KB, 1024x985) Image search: [Google]
1024px-Mahakala_Bernakchen.jpg
158 KB, 1024x985
another black guy here,
also master of mythology

I didn't know what it was at first, and didn't consider it racist many humanoid monsters have their faces hidden in various jrpgs.

Later on I discovered what monster it was based off of and the mystery was solved...

On a side note, did you know that Mr.Popo
was based off of.....

<-
>>
>>24781233
It doesn't matter if it's racist or not. The problem is if you're offended by it, which is your own damn fault for being so sensitive. Sensitivity is a crime and being offended over stupid shit is the punishment.
>>
Japan never meant for it to be racist. It's based on a yokai and just happens to look like blackface.
HOWEVER, black people saw that design as a black stereotype, and Gamefreak, being a rational corporation, changed its design to avoid further confusion and controversy.
>>
>>24781233
>le jynx is le black
epic
>>
>>24781233
Jynx doesn't add up. 20 years of Pokemon and it's still the strangest in existence, at least for me.

If it's supposed to be a Black stereotype, why is it also an Ice-type?

If its supposed to be Yama-Uba/Brunnhilde/Ganguro or whatever else, does that explain the indecipherable language, the constant need to dance, it's false hair in Stadium (which may be just a gag, i don't know), the voodoo doll powers one example of Jynx posesses in Pokemon Adventure?

I don't think it's a mashup of different things either. The Kanto line of pokemon were usually fairly straight forward with their design, and you can usually tell what you're in for just by looking at most of them.
>>
>>24782931
>le epic
Sick
>>
>>24782352
No, we should be more open.
>>
File: image.png (291 KB, 793x1007) Image search: [Google]
image.png
291 KB, 793x1007
>>24781233
It's not racist, but it WAS a bad idea to include it. While it isn't actually based on blackface, it's strong resemblance to it causes more problems than it's worth, and as such the idea should have been scrapped.

Or it should have been redesigned from the start to have its defining features changed.
>>
File: morganfreeman.jpg (72 KB, 800x598) Image search: [Google]
morganfreeman.jpg
72 KB, 800x598
>>24781382
Pack up your bags boys because the thread is over. This guy wins.

It was the ignorance of japanese culture that blinded people.
>>
File: 1423985307303.jpg (37 KB, 263x400) Image search: [Google]
1423985307303.jpg
37 KB, 263x400
>>24782445
>not tumblr

know your internetz more, senpai
>>
Little black sambo was a popular book in japan around the time, but ganguro was popping up too and then there's the yokai myth, so I guess it could've been based off any of those things or all of them at once. I don't know about the overreaction though, seemed more like people exaggerating the overreaction. Still I'm happy with the change Her face looked like it was floating in a abyss of nothingness, which would've worked for a ghost type, but defiantly not an ice one.
>>
>>24781233
People tend to fall into two camps on the Jynx issues:
1) It was racist, Japanese people view blacks as lesser
or 2) It wasnt racist, it was ganguro, etc.
but it's really inbetween. It was racist, because it's a racist stereotype that became part of Japan's culture, but it wasn't really malicious. An innocently racist act, if you will. The overreaction was worse since it was done at a time when Gamefreak would just retcon it to get over with it, but at least it didn't happen now, when it would have been much worse.
>>
>>24782927
It just feels so cowardly. Because these people from someplace else are offended, you bow out and change it? Who are they to command you?
I dunno man.
>>
File: Monster Rancher Magic.jpg (6 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
Monster Rancher Magic.jpg
6 KB, 480x360
You guys remember Monster Rancher? This was one of the secret monsters you could obtain and raise, called "Magic".
http://monsterrancher.wikia.com/wiki/Magic
>>
I've never had a problem with Jynx. It's supposed to be based around street fashion from Japan right?
I do have a problem with Gallade being Male only while Gardevoir can be both genders. They should both have the option of being male.
Also, the Nidoking Nidoqueen breeding mechanics should be changed.
>>
Old design wasn't however it unfortunately translates to black face caricature of black people to Statians and since they're so ethnocentric it had to be changed
>>
>>24782368
Intent doesn't excuse racism tho. Harm was still done even if you came from an ignorant but not malign place
>>
>>24785269
Lmfao, I loved it when you combined this guy with a hengar and got a fucking "gangster", magic literally had an attack called uzi.

This shit would be considered racist as fuck these days, damnit now I want to play it again
>>
>>24785264
Because controversy can affect their sales and a company wants to profit not to lose... Are you twelve?
>>
>>24785503
I know I know, just from a pure theoretical standpoint. Can we really judge and push people like that
Thread replies: 42
Thread images: 10

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.