[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>translates the Japanese name of Flamethrower move as "Fire
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /vp/ - Pokemon

Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 2
File: 151.png (58 KB, 512x512) Image search: [Google]
151.png
58 KB, 512x512
>translates the Japanese name of Flamethrower move as "Fire Emission"
>even though "kaenhosha" is literally what Japanese call a flamethrower

what's up with plenty of the Japanese move names in Bulba being written as though they are "different" even though mostly all of them are the same as their english names?
>>
"Flame Emission" is correct. "Flamethrower" is "kaenhoushaki."
>>
>>24776466
>any junior

actually the site would be saved if you can do that, since BP has really fucked up mods that don't want to have their entries edited by nobodies, even though what they get is wrong

>>24776498
nigga they still use kaenhosha for flamethrower as a shorthand, pretty much any flamethrower-related video game item is written as kaenhosha
>>
>>24776498
Since when is flame emission even a real term.
>>
>>24776498
Kaenhoushaki translates to "flamethrower device" you dumb faggot. The move removes the "device" part because it's not a fucking device.
Flamethrower is the only logical translation.
>>
>>24776754
since those words were invented? it's an emission of flames. thus flame emission. makes sense to me.

>>24776656
possibly, but flame emission is still the precise translation
>>
>>24776778
>Kaenhoushaki translates to "flamethrower device" you dumb faggot

Yeah? And what do you think a flamethrower is, retard? It's a device that spews flames. That's why "flame emission" is correct.
>>
>Teeter Dance is Dizzy Dance, even though Teeter also fits in context
>>
>>24776793
A flamethrower is SOMETHING that spews flames. It doesn't have to be a device.

The Japanese word for the device we call a flamethrower, however, includes the suffix meaning "device" at the end of the word.
>>
>>24776793
I bet you'd translate konnichiwa to 'this day'
>>
>>24776807
That's definitely a result of some faggot not knowing what teeter means.
>>
To be perfectly fair, the term "kaen-housha" IS used when talking about a burner's flame and such things
>>
>>24776820
>A flamethrower is SOMETHING that spews flames

No, it's a device. That's the definition. Look it up if you have to.

>, includes the suffix meaning "device" at the end of the word.
yeah, maybe because THAT'S WHAT A FLAMETHROWER IS.

The Jap name for the move Flamethrower is literally "Flame Emission." There's no argument here. That's what it is.

>>24776825
No, I'd translate it to "good day." Because that's what it means. The same way the Jap name for flamethrower means "flame emission." Because there's no device involved it isn't meaning "flamethrower."

>>24776807
If they both fit then why does it matter?
>>
>>24776849
You're a fucking retard.
>>
>>24776849
>If they both fit then why does it matter?

because what's the point of making up a new term even though in context it works? Same with "lightning speed" even though quick attack works

it gives the false idea of "well this is a proper translation" even though it isn't

reminds me of the dumb twitter posters complaining about yokai watch changing something into "donuts" thinking it was odango or shit, even though there are actual donuts in a festival
>>
>>24776849
You have got to be trolling
>>
>>24776861
"Lightning speed" isn't even a literal translation of denkousekka, it's just a simplistic definition of the meaning you'll find in many dictionaries.
>>
>>24776889
So bulbapedo is wrong again?
>>
Bulbapedia sucks with Japanese, I remember they didn't confirm something for ages even though it was blatant in the Japanese.

Also, Orihashi Mamoru.
>>
>>24776855
>>24776862
ran out of arguments I see. Go back to circlejerking over your irrational hatred of Bulbapedo's correct translation then! ;)

>>24776861
They're not making up anything though. Teeter is essentially the same thing as "dizzy." The Yokai watch comparison doesn't work in this case because they're actually two different things. It's just different letters that have the same meaning so I don't see how it matters.
>>
>>24776925
What's the point of using Dizzy when we got Teeter?
>>
>>24776930
I dunno. you could ask this of literally every synonym that exists. it's just how language works.
>>
>>24776912
Well.
The word is 電光石火
Hyper-literally it means "lightning light stone fire".
Less stupidly literal, "the flash of lightning and the spark of (flint)stones".
The term is most frequently found in the phrase "denkousekka no gotoki", "gotoki" meaning "similar to", so the full phrase means "similar to the flash of lightning and the spark of (flint)stones".
Or like you might say in English, "like a flash".

In short, it's just a kinda poetic way of saying "something that is very fast". "Lightning speed" isn't a terrible way of quickly explaining what the phrase itself means, which is why you find it in a bunch of dictionaries, but it IS a simplification and there's a dozen other ways to translate it depending on how it's used.
"Like a flash" is a really nice translation of "denkousekka no gotoki", for instance, since it's both an already existing English phrase AND pretty fucking exactly what the term translates to.

Bulbapedo's translators just look words up in dictionaries, though so what you find there is what they'll call "most accurate".
>>
>>24776656
>actually the site would be saved if you can do that, since BP has really fucked up mods that don't want to have their entries edited by nobodies, even though what they get is wrong
They revert so many correction it's both sad and hilarious
>>
That site is such a joke.

Surely if /vp/ rallied we could make a better web resource.
>>
>>24776466
And bulbapedia's mods just change anything you do back anyway, whether right or wrong

Funny thing is theyve had errors like Alan being in the diancie movie that last forever.
>>
File: 1390314440041.png (119 KB, 392x366) Image search: [Google]
1390314440041.png
119 KB, 392x366
>>24779130
>Surely if /vp/ rallied we could make a better web resource.
>>
>>24779130
I'm not sure why we would need to since there are already many other places where you can get relevant information. The only thing Bulbapedia has that other sites don't is useless flavor/trivia crap.
>>
>>24776782
>flame emission is still the precise translation
I bet you're one of those people who thinks "harisenbon" should be translated as "a thousand needles."
Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.