[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Was there a reason the Gameboy Color Pokemon games didn't
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /vp/ - Pokemon

Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 3
File: screenshot.jpg (26 KB, 200x180) Image search: [Google]
screenshot.jpg
26 KB, 200x180
Was there a reason the Gameboy Color Pokemon games didn't have battle backgrounds and just white space instead? I've played GBC RPGs with enemies rendered on top of backgrounds, so is sprite limitations really an excuse?
>>
The concept hadn't been thought of probably.
What kind of background were you after?

Do you want something simple like gens 3-5?
I honestly think white does a better job for a gameboy.

Do you want a special background for each terrain like gen 6?
Could potentially look tacky.
>>
>>24770757
As far as I know, almost every space on the physical rom was used.
>>
>>24770757
The Pokemon Sprites are the background
>>
>>24771039
And I'm not being sarcastic BTW, they really are treated as the background by the GBC
>>
>>24771076
Ah, I see.
I'm also stupid and didn't realize the white background actually allowed the Pokemon sprites to have an extra color.
>>
The truth?
It was probably just easier
In case you haven't noticed, GF is one of the laziest game devs out there, they always try and take the easy way out
>>
>>24771115
It's not that GF is lazy, they are just, strangely for such a large company, really incompetent at programming. Especially concerning the first 2 generations and gen 4.
>>
>>24771212
It's said too, because they've got the right idea with all this Pokemon and shit but their skills limit them so much
>>
>>24771230
*SAD
MOBILE SUCKS ASS
>>
>>24770757
Probably has to do with GS (but not Crystal) still working on the original Game Boy.
>>
>>24770757
the better question is "why the fuck do we have these stupid rings underneath our pokemon when battling?"
>>
>>24771236
>A single man reduced the amount of code the maps in GS used to take up half the space it did orignally

>The plethora of glitches in the first 2 generations

> Anything that isn't Pokemon before the 3DS consistently came out at the end of the console's lifespan because that's how long it takes for them to learn how to code for a new console
>turning on 3d cuts the polygons of every model in half, a lot of scenes in the game clearly indicate the overworld was designed for 3D at first
> DP pokedex has 2 fire pokemon
>sneaky pebbles
>RSE saves your data twice if PC is accessed, takes an extra second, DP does it an it takes 30 more
>all of altering cave
>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=frLwdt3bSW4
>All those events that were never distributed
>gen 1 psychic, ghost, and bug
>Mendel Palace's final boss can be beat by doing absolutely nothing
>Jelly Boy's music will fug up at random intervals

Maybe it's not the programmer fault. There's someone there in management and play testing that keeps dropping the ball
>>
>>24771334
Oh and also:
>GF releases Click Medic on Playstation without telling Nintendo, significant amount of style and code taken from Pokemon games, Nintendo flips their shit and buys them out. They chafe under them until like 2 years ago. This is completely unexpected

>Have Pokemon take advantage of everything available onto every system, like Gameboy's IR port, E-Reader Chatot's voice thing, resulting in a lot of time going into things most people won't be able to use. The one time they don't 3D, is the one time its easily accessable but not there
>>
File: image.jpg (60 KB, 460x577) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
60 KB, 460x577
>>24771334
>>24771373
Holy fug
>>
>>24771328
How will you know what Nature Power will do, anon?

Honestly little things like that blew my mind as a kid

>walking behind a house and hiding the player sprite for the first time
>>
>>24771388
Let's not forget Tembo the Badassssssssssss Elephant's original release

.There's initially no resolution options beyond 1080p, it doesn't default to your chosen resolution if it's not 720p, there are reports of spotty controller support, it won't even run if you don't correct the typo in the install folder (it installs as Trumbo, both he folder and exe), and the full game was accidentally replaced by the demo. Takes several days to fix
>Have multiple resolutions supported
>forget to put in an option to change it
>fucking forgetting the name of your own game

>please understand that we didn't expect our multimillion dollar franchise to get so many people to subscribe to pokemon bank
>>
>>24771434
How was the reception for Tembo anyway? Considering GF's giant middle finger to Nintendo (oops we forgot the Wii U and -the 3DS- existed silly us) I kind of want it to suck. Not even a huge Nintendrone, just sick of GF's shit in general as of late.
>>
>>24772218
Critically well received but it sold poorly.

It plays like Sonic the Hedgehog x Pulseman
>>
>>24772226
Huh, I'll have to try it out then, I like both of those things and a Pulseman spiritual successor really interests me.
>>
Even if there weren't any technical limitations in terms of cart space and processing power, etc, is it even possible from an aesthetics standpoint to make low resolution backdrops that look cleaner than white space?
>>
>>24771373
How is Click Medic anything like Pokémon?
>>
>>24772230
something like earthbound's backdrops might work, but they'd be far too advanced for the gbc i assume
>>
File: TRE2 Battle Screen.png (6 KB, 160x144) Image search: [Google]
TRE2 Battle Screen.png
6 KB, 160x144
>>24772230
Look up a hack called TRE2 by Pokéglitch, one of the things it's managed to do is add battle screens. They look decent in my opinion, though the HUD itself is kind of cluttered for reasons unrelated to the backdrop.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zNgDjj_8XUY
>>
>>24772349
Honestly I think adding backgrounds might be to the games detriment.

A strange thing about the old game's battle screens is that the battle itself is highly abstracted, so my mine fills in the gaps of whats happening by what the game tells you.

In XY, the Pokemon are literally standing still and staring at eachother across a small distance.

When those little circles under the Pokemon were added in Gen III it was still pretty abstract.
>>
>>24771076
It's literally this. Because of the way GB sprite palettes worked, you could only use three colors and a transparency filler. You got much more diverse color palette options on the GBC but because the size limitations are the same as the regular GB or NES you are still limited by hardware.

By making the background the same color as the transparency, you get the ability to use that color as an addition to the palette of sprites, which is why GSC's battle sprites use a lot of white for highlights and are a lot more striking in general compared to other GBC game sprites just because of being able to use an extra color without having to resort to layering like the Megaman games.

Plus it's for aesthetic reasons since battles are abstracted from the overworld as like >>24773365 said, and while >>24772349 does look nice it looks cluttered as well, so for the sake of being nice to look at while not being an eyesore you just battle in T H E V O I D. The battlefield itself wasn't a battle mechanic until moves like Camouflage and Secret Power in Gen 3 anyway.
>>
>>24772237
You can make almost entirely different games using the same chunks of code, you know.
>>
To be able to have 2 colors on the Pokémon.
Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.