[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
how do we fix the powercreep?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /vp/ - Pokemon

Thread replies: 84
Thread images: 7
File: oct_p04_04[1].jpg (30 KB, 400x240) Image search: [Google]
oct_p04_04[1].jpg
30 KB, 400x240
how do we fix the powercreep?
>>
prehistoric pokemon game
>>
>>24763372
UGA BUGA, POKEROCK
>>
>>24763360
It's gonna happen whether you like it or not.

You can stall it by only introducing pokemon that adhere to various standards, like the gen 3-5 box legends all being about as strong as each other
>>
remove the physical special split.

I can't believe this massive blunder of gen IV is constantly praised.
>>
>>24763393
This. Powercreep is something that's gonna happen no matter what. I do wish that some more old things got buffed though, to keep up with it.
Flareon will get fixed never fucking ever too ;_;
>>
>>24763401
that would break the game
>>
Stop giving legendaries mega evolutions. Seriously, what the fuck. Maybe stop giving some shitmons mega evolutions and give them strong regular evolutions instead.
>>
>>24763401

Hitmonchan doesn't deserve to become an even bigger joke than it is now.
>>
>>24763401
>bite is a special move
>shadow ball is physical

even eight year old me playing gold version realized this was retarded
>>
Primal Fusion Double Megas for all pokemon BST 600 and above
>>
File: 1432628368406.jpg (40 KB, 500x294) Image search: [Google]
1432628368406.jpg
40 KB, 500x294
>>24763401
Alakazam pls
>>
>>24763471
>how do we stop powercreep
>physspec split was a huge example of powercreep
>"remove the split"
>no this is bait
>>
>>24763478
Just because they came about around the same time doesn't mean they are one and the same.
>>
>>24763482
>not understanding how every type being able to hit both sides of the spectrum hinders defensive pokemon while only making offensive pokemon stronger
>>
>>24763360
just wait for gen 8 for mega rayy lmao to be avaible on OU when mega giga ultra charizard takes his place as the king of AG
>>
Just revert to gen 2 and go from there. Any more powercreep and might as well remove stats and make every hit a OHKO.

Masuda went full retard in gen 4, creating countless variations of strong moves, splitting the physical/special attacks and making dumb items like Life Orb, promoting this degenerate gameplay of nuking shit and leaving healthy pokemon to die because you can't afford to switch into another nuke.
>>
have a point system to determine how many pokemon you can use. better pokemon cost more points and shitmons are dirt-cheap. Of course the six pokemon limit would have to be bumped up.

Alternatively have some kind of system that allows pokemon to get more levels or stats. There would be a universal limit on how high base stats can be so eventually all pokemon would reach the same base stat total

both of these ideas aren't perfect solutions and would realistically never happen tho
>>
>>24763478
phy/spe split is what made pokemon playable for the first time
>>
Revamp the entire stat/HP system for every single pokemon instead of giving existing Pokemon power boosts.
>>
change the pokemon types. there are only rock paper and scissor types. I'm sure you autists can have fun figuring out what pokemon would be what type
>>
massive retcon that rebalances the stats movepools of most/all fully evolved mons

of course this would require a large amount of work so it would never happen.

still, i wish you could make your own tier on showdown or something like that where could edit the stats and movepools of mons so people could try this idea
>>
introduce a generation full of worthless shitmons like Kalos did and then devote most of your energy to making older mons more competitive, regardless of how competitive they were before
>>
>>24763511

Some of them absolutely needed it though. For example, Weavile without phys/special split would be horrible because it'd have absolutely useless STAB from running off of its atrocious 45 base special attack. Its typing would only serve to make it worse.
>>
Introduce about 50 more types, retroactively apply as many of them as possible to existing mons, allow for triple type mons and make sure each new type has at least two unique stat moves.
>>
>>24763482
+1 252+ Atk Life Orb Salamence Outrage vs. 248 HP / 252+ Def Milotic: 360-425 (91.6 - 108.1%) -- 50% chance to OHKO

+1 Salamence Hidden Power Flying vs. Milotic: 163-192 (41.3 - 48.7%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery

lol gen 4.
>>
>>24763612
Then they should've stopped at 60 BP moves and similar.

Remove moves like Outrage, nerf Dragon Claw to 70 BP, etc etc.
>>
>>24763410
>Flareon will get fixed never fucking ever too
Flareon doesn't need to be fixed. It is the prototypical physical Fire Pokemon and gave pokemon like Entei and Darmanitan the chance to not fuck up as badly. It will always have its place in lesser gameplay and that's not a bad thing. Short of a Mega Evolution or some strange event or egg move, an upgraded ability in Guts and Flare Blitz is the most it could realistically ask for.
>>
>>24763691

I think around 80 BP is fine. 90 and above works fine for certain moves, whether it's due to low distribution or a large drawback such as Superpower.
>>
>>24763522
I would hope competitive pokemon is just dead by then instead.
>>
>>24763548
Nah shit was still fine for the most part, if you ask me.

The real problem is all these offensive Megas with crazy abilities and BST with few viable defensive Megas.

At least stall didn't cling to one form of one mon for its dear life.
>>
File: 1443981076761.jpg (71 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
1443981076761.jpg
71 KB, 640x480
>>24763360
Reboot the pokémon universe. New generation with 150 ~ 200 completely new pokémon, ignoring everything that came before.
>>
>>24763360
We don't
>>
the split helped some and hindered some pokemon.
ultimately i think it's better overall.

What they can do to stop powercreep is stop handing out mega like candy, and stop giving pokemon giant movepools randomly.
>>
Reposting from another thread because it is incredibly relevant.

Reduce the stats of all pokemon by 1.5

600 - 420 = 180. This is the difference between something like garchomp and mightyena.
600/1.5 = 400
420/1.5 = 280
400 - 280 = 120. The difference is reduced by 1.5.

Because damage is relative to the difference in stats, eg a mon with 20 attack hitting something with 20 defence is equivalent to a mon with 100 attack hitting something with 100 defence.

0 Atk Ledyba Return vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Feebas: 73-87
0 Atk Mew Return vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Mew: 73-87

This brings the overall difference down, puts more emphasis on EVs and is just overall better.

eg
Before
0 Atk Mightyena Return vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Garchomp: 70-83 (19.6 - 23.2%) -- possible 5HKO
After
0 Atk Mightyena Return vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Garchomp: 71-84 (24.9 - 29.4%) -- 100% chance to 4HKO

>>24763511
Stalling power is still power, and as such power creep. You solved nothing. Skarmbliss is balanced!
>>
- Scale back or redistribute base stats of mons who are clearly minmaxed with retarded 120/120 offenses and 110 speed or whatever. Except legendaries obviously
- balance the types so Fairy isn't so dominant (buffing Ice) and so Rock/Bug aren't so bad
- limit movepools a bit
- nerf some moves like fucking High Jump Kick and Knock Off

essentially scale everything to what it was around Platinum or even HG/SS
>>
>Except legendaries obviously
But those are the biggest culprits. Shit like genies, Heatran and Keldeo are so cancerous.
>>
>>24766031
>>24766092
Forgot the (You)
>>
>>24766092
>Keldeo
maybe you should stop playing meme rules where there's twice as many legal legends then
>>
What if someone were to do to pokemon what Project M did to Brawl. As in mod the gameplay (or in this case, BST and base power of pokemon and their moves) to make a more competitively balanced pokemon game
>>
>>24766133
unless it had online no one would even bother
>>
>>24766137
Well maybe if a full functioning pokemon game mod wouldn't work online, then maybe a simulator like showdown?
>>
>>24766133
there have plenty of projects like that on simulators but they never catch on, Pokemon really doesn't need heavy modifications to function
>>
>>24766133
The problem is that pokemon games comes out too frequently and Smogon completely wrecked people's sense of balance.
>>
>>24766150
>they never really catch on
That's a shame. I think it'd be interesting and a nice change of pace, especially since there's a lot of people at /vp/ with various recommendations that'd seem decent to implement

>Pokemon doesn't need heavy mods to function
well of course not, as it is, Pokemon plays fine but it's certainly not perfect so having things improved in an agreeable way didn't seem like the worst
>>
>>24766146
Maybe. I doubt it'd catch on though. Couldn't hurt to try.
>>
>>24766166
It couldn't hurt to try, but I was just talking out of my ass the entire time and have no real skills to make it happen
>>
>>24763360
retcon everything past gen 5, that's when everything started to get stupid
>>
File: blissey03[1].jpg (12 KB, 220x165) Image search: [Google]
blissey03[1].jpg
12 KB, 220x165
>>24763401
upset that you're outclassed by your little sister now?
>>
>>24763769
Yes only if the old ones are accessible post game ;^)
>>
STOP GIVING LEGENDARIES MEGA EVOLUTIONS HOLY SHIT.

STOP MAKING PURELY DEFENSIVE MEGA EVOLUTIONS. THEY SUCK DICK NINE TIMES OUT OF TEN.

START GIVING OUT MORE ACTUAL EVOLUTIONS AGAIN.

NO MORE BABYMON.

>IMPLYING ANYTHING SHORT OF A FULL RESET WILL FIX THE META

THIS GAME IS FUCKED AND COMPETITIVE PLAYERS ARE SCREWED
>>
>>24763360

Honestly, just be patient. Mega Evolutions are new, and GF hasn't figured out how to properly balance them yet. I'm sure next gen, or even in Z that it'll be better. With the introduction of Fairy-type, GF showed that it cared about balancing the meta to some degree. It'll be fine.
>>
File: showdown.png (71 KB, 1275x477) Image search: [Google]
showdown.png
71 KB, 1275x477
>>24766171
Pends on what you're after desu
>>
>>24766171

>>24768928

Well if you guys are serious, I'd learn how to code to help out this project and enforce my ideals on the mechanics of this mod
>>
>>24769044
you make it ill run it
simple as that my friend.

If anyone wants a talk I’m on #viipii on rizon.net, IRC of course.
>>
how do you fix powercreep?
duh, with more overpowered megas
>>
File: Project P.png (149 KB, 1305x870) Image search: [Google]
Project P.png
149 KB, 1305x870
So we've started "Project P". The changes we've made currently consist of a BST scaledown of 1.5 and pic related.
TL;DR
Ice: +ground, flyin, ice resist. -fight weak
Steel: +dark, ghost resist. -psychic, grass resist
Fairy: -bug resist
Water: +poison weak
Serperior is already busted
>>
"power creep" doesn't need to get fixed outsite of legendaries/Ubers.

They just need to fix some pokemon like Kanga , Salami and so on
>>
The traditional style of 6v6 singles has simply died as being an interesting competitive game. It was really only ever good by complete accident.
>>
>>24763360
Unless you reset the move pool, it's only ever getting worse.
>>
>>24766092
Legendaries should not, in general, be on the same playing field as normal Pokemon since Gen V. They're all great types with great abilities and minmaxed stats, it's dumb as shit

>>24770403
>Ice: +ground, flyin, resist. -fight weak
>Steel: +ghost resist. -grass resist
>Water: +poison weak

Your tagline should be 'By retards, for retards.'
>>
>>24771670
Got any better ideas for all the things people are complaining about or are you just gonna sit here and bitch about it some more while not doing anything about coming up with a real solution? If you are, then fuck right off, I don't give a shit.
>>
>>24763360
Turn him to stone
>>
>>24763360
adjust basestats
one level for legends
one for starters
one for other pokemon
have there be a noticeable difference between the 3 but not a huge difference
>>
>>24766606
fairy type is good for the meta?
Maybe make some useful ice types and stop making op dragons would help
imo fairy just invalidated ice and psychic types
>>
>>24772909
they tried, he just broke free
>>
>>24770403

Now here's the issue.

I agree with half of those and vehemently disagree with the other half
>>
Change the way VGC works

more gimmick seasons like the festive feud, etc

create more metas where shitmons shine and where shinemons shit

that way we won't have shitmons except for ledian who is beyond redemption
>>
Buff the stats of old Pokemon's base form more.

Not this +10 crap. Full on +30 or +40.
>>
>>24776222
Base Inversion season

Normalize and invert base stats for all pokemon of each type (for example, divide all flying/normal types by Mega-Pidgeot's stats, then take the inverse of that and apply that that to a pokemon's base stats)

literally turning shitmons OP
>>
>>24776511
>Raichu has less special attack than Mienshao
>>
>>24776515
er, rather it would have to be the highest base stat in that pokemon's type grouping.
>>
>>24766491
what is b/w
>>
>>24776194
Alright, what do you and don't you agree with and why?
>>
>>24763360
release slaking with another ability
>>
>>24778301
New Hidden ability: Power Nap
This Pokmon's attack stat rises every turn the pokemon is asleep.
>>
>>24777631
>>24770403

>Ice: +ground, flyin, ice resist. -fight weak
Why would it resist ground? Why would it resist fighting before steel does?
Flying and Ice agreed
>Steel: +dark, ghost resist. -psychic, grass resist
Losing dark and ghost were huge. Steel was defensively OP before. How can plants attack steel? Psychic... maybe but only for balancing purposes
>Fairy: -bug resist
yes
>Water: +poison weak
no, because I'm a waterfag. Water dindu nuffin. Give poison weakness to someone else if you want to buff it offensively.
>>
File: 1429181589937.jpg (52 KB, 500x278) Image search: [Google]
1429181589937.jpg
52 KB, 500x278
Add new evolutions for most mons based on 'mega evolution stability', give the megas real names, then stop.

From there, only add new mons until about 1k, then stop.

Only create different evolutionary forms for existing pokemon, rare typings, like X/Y incorporate older pokemon into new games to give older players nostalgia. Mudkip in Z for example.

Use variation and new specialty mons with interesting abilities and moves of equalish power.
>>
ITT: Free Battle shitter problems
>>
By doing something they will never actually do now that pokebank is a thing.

Make a game not be backwards compatible.
>>
>>24763478
Correlation =/= causation
>>
>>24778944
>Water dindu nuffin
fuck off masuda

>two weaknesses
>good resists
>amazing neutral coverage

Fuck waterfags.
>>
>>24778944
It doesn't resist fighting, it's neutral
These were mostly decided in a way that'd give things buffs firstly with slight logical decisions lastly
>>
>>24766590
>START GIVING OUT MORE ACTUAL EVOLUTIONS AGAIN.
This please.
Thread replies: 84
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.